Clone OPatra

Batman (DC Superheroes) 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

Posted (edited)

Glad LEGO recognizes how most AFOL's struggle with space and the only spot left for LEGO is on the walls.
But all those 2x2 tiles of the characters could have been printed as a family pack, similar to the newspapers in the Daily Bugle. 300€ and then having to apply so many little stickers like in a children's album?! Just looks at how crooked they are on the lifestyle pics. And after a couple of years they will start to peel off, especially the ones on the curved bricks (airships). The rest looks fantastic, no doubt, and just maybe a bit too colorful for my taste.

Edited by R0Sch

I really do love this set, but with Lego releasing a million of those in a short period of time, I have neither the space nor the money to buy these...

I was really hoping this would be a bunch of Minifigure scale buildings, all connected together. Something I could put in my city. Sigh. Easy skip for me, then. 

I'm glad people like it and hope it does well, but pretty much none of this is for me. I'm not opposed to mosiacs- I was pretty close to dropping more than I'd have liked on those sith mosiac sets before they retired- but something about this one feels tacky and off to me. I think part of it's the way they did this one regarding studs. IMO it either needs to be a true mosiac fully made of studs, or something with few visible studs. The sky being studded with mainly tiled/SNOT buildings just doesn't look good for me.

I'm also not really a fan of the figs- I always saw BTAS Batman as having a LBG suit, not DBG. I also don't really like Catwoman having fully black arms, it makes it look like she's wearing a tank top over a black jumpsuit. Harley is pretty solid, but ironically Joker is my favorite, and it's because of that head. Most of the existing joker heads don't really capture his insanity/evil to me, but this one REALLY does. Even if, for whatever reason, they've chosen to go with TNBA Joker in a BTAS set.

The set is nice looking but the $300 price tag is shocking. I don't think I could ever justify that for this type of set. Especially with only 4 minifigures. This is definitely where there should have been at least a dozen or so minifigs.

Posted (edited)

I like it. A Ninjago City styled set would have been cooler, but this is neat. Only a few cons:

• There are too many stickers. This is basically an Art set, and something about stickers in an art set doesn't seem right to me.
  • I don't like the tiles with the characters on them. The gray silhouettes on white tiles looks a little tacky to me. I don't really get what they were going for. BTAS was unique for using black backgrounds for its animation cels rather than white, so not only do they look silly but they actually feel against the design language of the show, and by extension, the rest of the set. If they had given each character a few colors (even black and gray!) like the Batman one I think that would look better.... edit: backgrounds are light gray. Still though, they seem too light.
  • I sort of agree that the studded sky with smooth buildings doesn't feel quite right, but it doesn't bother me that much either. The studs' shadows do help recreate some of the gradient that the sky had in the show.
  • Minifigures could have been slightly higher quality...I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for Joker to get his shoes printed or Catwoman to have dual molded arms. It would have also been nice to get Robin or Two-Face or somebody. But hopefully we get more BTAS sets after the Batmobile.

The Joker minifigure is actually pretty good I think. And I quite like the face--I think that this is one of the best Joker faces we have ever had. (Though he would look better with a yellow border around his eyes as others have said). I'm not sure why people are saying it looks more like TNBA Joker--that version didn't even have lipstick, and his teeth weren't nearly as discolored. BTAS Joker does often have dark shadows around his eyes in certain shots.

Harley's cork gun is a cool reference to Mad Love. Her face is printed on a red head--I hope the printing shows up okay on the final figure. 

Batman's cape is two-toned! I hope that's in the Batmobile set. I've wanted that for a long time.

The Catwoman minifigure is only okay. Not sure if I'll get this set, but if Joker is available elsewhere I'd be happy if she stays exclusive.

Edited by SoupOrFishOil

That is one amazing skyline!
I haven't seen all the detail pictures, but it looks like it has a lot of great easter eggs and such.
I don't think I'll get it, though. I don't even have wall space left for this, and the price tag is still rather high.
Maybe if it had more or different minifigs, but as it is...

Maybe I'll have more luck with the Batmobile.
That is supposed to be B:TAS-inspired as well, right?

Regards,
Mitch

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

https://brickset.com/sets/71799-1/NINJAGO-City-Markets

How this could be from Gotham City? ... Maybe that movie theatre and alley? ...

Not just that set.

The Ninjago City (plus a few Monkie Kid) sets have a number of stylized urban buildings at a playscale. Not everything which is in the art set would be included obviously, but those type of sets are really good at including a number of locations at a pretty good level of detail.

As for exactly what that would include I don't know. But I think the GCPD, Wayne Enterprises, and Joker's Amusement Park would be good choices for the "meat" of the set, and then they could fill in with a few more minor locations (A hideout for Ivy, Mr. Freeze's lab, a diamond shop, a radio station, Veronica Vreeland's apartment, etc.).

I get that the art set offers something unique though and that they have at least two large sets like what I have described out already, so a third Batman one might split the market. (But I think BTAS would offer something more unique from Ninjago and MK than they do from each other, so hey.) And then obviously there wasn't a very high budget for the minifigures, given that we only got four of them, and Catwoman's arms really should have been dual-molded.

I'm also glad that this set allows them to incorporate the red sky and police blimps from the show. Those either woudn't be included in a play set, or would be referenced in a way which would probably be silly.

Edited by SoupOrFishOil

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Joker is my favorite, and it's because of that head

Ayo?????

I think this set looks gorgeous. BtAS was a seminal show for me and there are a lot of great references (Clock King gets a reference!). Brilliantly done. That said, no way I would buy this in the near future. Even if I was going to spend $300 on an art set, I wouldn't know where to put it. The thing is 30" wide.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

Not just that set.

... I think the GCPD, Wayne Enterprises, and Joker's Amusement Park would be good choices for the "meat" of the set, and then they could fill in with a few more minor locations (A hideout for Ivy, Mr. Freeze's lab, a diamond shop, a radio station, Veronica Vreeland's apartment, etc.).

Is it somehow possible that we try to collect names and then SEND that kind of idea to The LEGO Group! Very good ideas. We need something like that and examples are these Ninjago modular buildings.

Spoiler

71799_alt2.jpg

Edited by legoturtle

36 minutes ago, legoturtle said:

Is it somehow possible that we try to collect names and then SEND that kind of idea to The LEGO Group! Very good ideas. We need something like that and examples are these Ninjago modular buildings.

Hide contents

71799_alt2.jpg

They could do one for each DC city with elements of Batman but with a primary focus on the City’s hero.

Gotham: Batman and Bat-family focus. (Two of these as it is most iconic and has more cool locations.)

Metropolis: Batman and Superman + JL focus. (This is probably the 2nd most likely)

Coast City: Batman and Green Lantern focus.

Central City: Batman and Flash focus.

Star Labs: Justice League and Batman focus.

Then you could combine all of these to form the ultimate DC city.

I honestly think that this would be awesome and be a lot cooler than marvel Modulars.

14 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Glad LEGO recognizes how most AFOL's struggle with space and the only spot left for LEGO is on the walls.
But all those 2x2 tiles of the characters could have been printed as a family pack, similar to the newspapers in the Daily Bugle. 300€ and then having to apply so many little stickers like in a children's album?! Just looks at how crooked they are on the lifestyle pics. And after a couple of years they will start to peel off, especially the ones on the curved bricks (airships). The rest looks fantastic, no doubt, and just maybe a bit too colorful for my taste.

I forgot they did that in the daily bugle, but thinking about it, yeah it does make the stickers here inexcusable really.

I do find it funny that kids love stickers (though personally as a kid I still found them a pain in the Lego context) and yet 4+, minecraft and sonic sets have no stickers whereas 18+ sets have tonnes. ( no insult to fans of 4+, Minecraft or sonic sets, I own some of each and I like Thier stickerlessness, but it's just funny that stickers seem more in Afol targeted sets despite most Afols I know disliking putting on stickers).

Even in the 18+ context they feel more egregious in some contexts than others.

7 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I forgot they did that in the daily bugle, but thinking about it, yeah it does make the stickers here inexcusable really.

I do find it funny that kids love stickers (though personally as a kid I still found them a pain in the Lego context) and yet 4+, minecraft and sonic sets have no stickers whereas 18+ sets have tonnes. ( no insult to fans of 4+, Minecraft or sonic sets, I own some of each and I like Thier stickerlessness, but it's just funny that stickers seem more in Afol targeted sets despite most Afols I know disliking putting on stickers).

Even in the 18+ context they feel more egregious in some contexts than others.

I think the 4+ sets without stickers are good as it puts the focus on construction. My nearly four year old enjoys putting them together. My seven year old is the one that likes the stickers, and is capable of doing them well enough so as to happy with the experience.

I'm generally fine with the stickers in this set, to be honest. There are so many of them, that they'd likely not print them anyway - insert perennial argument over LEGO not printing to ensure efficient logistics vs other cheaper manufacturers can do all prints - but I do find it irritating that they've not printed the character tiles, because if those peel/break, you kill a lot of the set. If the others go, it's not a massive loss, but still annoying. The blimps should be printed too, given they are curved and there are three of them.

Maximally unpopular opinion: I love stickers! You can stick them wherever you want. You can cut nice little bits out of stickers and customise minifigures.

But it's just me thinking...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, legoturtle said:

Is he RIGHT?

Personally, I don't like dwelling too much on the "what we could have gotten" argument. At the end of the day, they can make something different next year, and while there are certainly cool ideas that we "could have gotten," that would be just as true if we got a modular Gotham set as much as it is for this. That being said, DC does seem to be a testing ground for LEGO. I have a feeling that LEGO doesn't want Marvel and DC to have competing modulars, since it's a different sort of competition than between Icons and Marvel. It's certainly possible that once more of the Marvel modulars retire, then they may do something with DC, but right now, they are trying different things from it...

...And I think that's honestly really cool. If we just got modulars for DC, that would be fine, but instead we have a really unique Batcave box, a VERY well done (in my opinion) skyline, and a lot of great Bat Vehicles. DC may not get many sets, but at least on the D2C front, they get something kinda special and experimental many times. 

Edited by NoOneOfImportance

2 hours ago, legoturtle said:

Is he RIGHT?

No. He's voicing an opinion like everyone else.

To be fair it wasn't needed, we could have gotten a better BTAS set like Arkham or the Batcave with more of the villains and Robin but Lego loves to do take these risks with the Batman D2C's and then they wonder why they don't sell well, basic stuff like a detailed UCS Arkham,Batcave,Gotham City and stuff is better than an art piece.

48 minutes ago, Lego Nostalgia said:

To be fair it wasn't needed, we could have gotten a better BTAS set like Arkham or the Batcave with more of the villains and Robin but Lego loves to do take these risks with the Batman D2C's and then they wonder why they don't sell well, basic stuff like a detailed UCS Arkham,Batcave,Gotham City and stuff is better than an art piece.

Objectively none of it is needed, it's a luxury product. There are Lego sets that I would like, this being one of them. I like this set enough that the figures don't bother me that much, especially with it not being the same scale. Similarly while big, well detailed sets as you describe would be desirable to many hardcore fans, it might not be the most profitable to do. 

Every time I see it, I like it a little bit more. I'd like to see it in-person before going for it, but it's very tempting at the moment. The art style of BTAS is just so wonderful. Actually, the figures may be the worst part about this for me, given that they are dramatically different (as LEGO) from the style. Especially Batman. Nothing you can (or should) do about that, but for me it's all about the skyline, detail, layers, and style. I really like the sky itself, and the Bat signal is so dramatic.

16 hours ago, CloneCommando99 said:

They could do one for each DC city with elements of Batman but with a primary focus on the City’s hero.

Gotham: Batman and Bat-family focus. (Two of these as it is most iconic and has more cool locations.)

Metropolis: Batman and Superman + JL focus. (This is probably the 2nd most likely)

Coast City: Batman and Green Lantern focus.

Central City: Batman and Flash focus.

Star Labs: Justice League and Batman focus.

Then you could combine all of these to form the ultimate DC city.

I honestly think that this would be awesome and be a lot cooler than marvel Modulars.

I think getting DC modulars would be cool- though I don't think it needs any marvel comparison, the marvel modulars are fine, the Bugle in particular is excellent.

That said, there's really not much you can do for most of these that would keep the general consumer base. Gotham would obviously be fine, but most of the rest, I dunno.

Metropolis could work- Superman, even if the upcoming film does well, lacks the rogues' gallery of spider-man for a set like that to work super well, but a daily planet/lexcorp combo could sell fine if it had some other leaguers involved given the drought of non-batman DC sets. The real issue is central and coast city, especially if you're removing star labs. There certainly ARE locations in the comics that could be used- Ferris air, his lab in the GCPD, etc, but there's not nearly enough to sell a modular, especially if Gotham and Metropolis are already covered, and especially if Star Labs is being removed for it's own thing.

Though I'm surprised we haven't had an Arkham yet, something like this:

Arkham Asylum ($499.99): large Arkham compound consisting of a front gate, central building, and two wings ending in watchtowers. The central building contains an entry room, prisoner property room, Psychiatrist's office, and guard armory. Above the rafters there is a small, hidden area for Batman to use for surveillance. Each wing has a roughly identical design, containing 7 normal cells, an environmentally controlled cell, two larger, more reinforced cells, and a watchtower. (For a total of 20 cells). Also includes a police car and prison van. Comes with Batman, Robin (Damian Wayne), Commissioner Gordon, 4x Arkham Guard, Harleen Quinzel, Hugo Strange, Aaron Cash, Joker (prison jumpsuit), Poison Ivy (prison jumpsuit), Male Inmate (face print implying it's zsaz), Female Inmate (face print implying it's Talia), Riddler (prison jumpsuit, bowler hat included), Two-Face (prison jumpsuit), Killer Croc (bigfig), Bane, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Ra's Al Ghul, Firefly, Deadshot, Killer Moth, and Hush.