Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

I think LEGO should release a Hogwarts Express Collectors' Edition extension set that would include two passenger carriages, extra track, platform, missing epilogue minifigs, some new minifigs and maybe printed replacement bricks for some stickers in the original set with lets say an RRP of around 300 euro.
Both sets could be combined into a one long train with one long platform, extra two carriages would allow to fit both original and new minifigs inside the train. It would also boost the "collectible" feature and make first set much more valuable and worth its original price tag which in my opinion was overpriced for a set as it was.

I almost bought a second set with a discount just so that I could make a longer train but I wasn't so sure if it was worth it even after selling duplicate minifigs and if there was a market for a standalone locomotive with tender...

3 minutes ago, hunnybunny said:

I think LEGO should release a Hogwarts Express Collectors' Edition extension set […]

They‘d never sell a set that absolutely requires already owning another one, let alone at this price point. I’ve said the same thing about a microscale Hogwarts extension before, but this would work even less :tongue: NOBODY would buy this set unless they have the other one. Plus the sales would have to be below the HE’s since not every owner of that set would go out and buy the extension.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

They‘d never sell a set that absolutely requires already owning another one, let alone at this price point. I’ve said the same thing about a microscale Hogwarts extension before, but this would work even less :tongue: NOBODY would buy this set unless they have the other one. Plus the sales would have to be below the HE’s since not every owner of that set would go out and buy the extension.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, it would be an unofficial 'extension' which could be combined with the original set but could also be a standalone set with its own track and platform. 

Edited by hunnybunny

22 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

And even beyond that, the sales for the HE haven't been all that great from what I've seen and heard so I can't imagine Lego would ever justify an expansion or add-on set based on that alone.

7 hours ago, hunnybunny said:

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, it would be an unofficial 'extension' which could be combined with the original set but could also be a standalone set with its own track and platform. 

But how can a train set be standalone without a locomotive? :laugh: So it’d be the same set basically, just without the locomotive or the coal thingie?

And there‘d be another big issue besides @JeanGreyForever‘s point, namely the interior. One of the main features of the HE set are the scenes with the quotes on top. Which other scenes would an expansion depict? The Death Eaters stopping the train in DH1?

I hope that we might get HP diorama sets like the Star Wars ones. Key scenes you can display, with a quotation attached to the base, which would be useful for getting minifigs from scenes withour much playset potential. Getting the epilogue scene with the older trio would be perfect for this sort of set, especially since Lego has recently made several smaller versions of D2C HP sets for people who don't want / can't afford the more expensive sets, so a smaller set with a repeat of adult Harry isn't out of the question.

Yeah I’m surprised they haven’t tapped into the diorama sets for HP yet. Lots of potential there. I’ve always thought something like a microscale Knight Bus racing down the streets of London would make a good one. 

Not a fan of the dioramas so I hope we never get them for the Harry Potter theme. Too many bricks wasted making the bases for them.  I prefer my bricks going into a build rather than a black base unit.

I doubt diorama sets for Harry Potter. A good playset with another hogwarts room is pretty much that size already and works exactly like those dioamas, while still being interesting for kids. They just need to make cute small sets like the one with cat Hermoine and the bathroom or the new Hagrids hut and boat house... until we get the whole Castle :D

Dioramas sound nice since we have them in Star Wars and Jurasic World themes. Not sure about Harry Potter theme… Voldemt’s Rise? First Task?  Final sene at Hogwarts Express? Harry battling Quirrell? Harry and Ron flushing themselves into toilets on their way to Minstry of Magic? I dunno….

But I really like playsets than boring adult sets here. 

Harry Potter can thrive on playsets in a way that Star Wars usually can't. Dioramas make sense for Star Wars but not for Harry Potter. What's the point of making a diorama from a scene from Hogwarts when you could just as easily make that into a set that is part of the castle?

Since the diorama sets often include quotes, we’ve essentially already gotten a 4 in 1 diorama set with the Collectors Edition Hogwarts Express. 

That said, other prime candidates for diorama scenes would be things like Hagrid giving Harry the album at the end of SS or the patronus scene in PoA, and those have both been made into sets already. 

I think the reason that Star Wars can make dioramas work is because playsets have to favor the various vehicles, while dioramas largely get to put those vehicles in a setting (the only SW diorama I can recall that wasn’t like that was the trash compactor, which physically has to be built as a diorama). In contrast, the only Jurassic Park diorama I can remember features the T-Rex in a pose that the molded animals that come in the playsets just can’t be positioned into. 

In contrast - Harry Potter has far fewer vehicles, and the ones it does have don’t engage in combat. And there’s a limited number of large creatures - most of which don’t take any iconic poses that would be difficult for their playset versions to replicate. The Horntail chasing Harry could count, but that’s already been done very well as a kinetic sculpture. The only thing in that category I can think of that fans might want is the shot of Harry standing on top of the Slytherin statue in the Chamber of Secrets with the Basilisk looming over him preparing to strike - since modern playsets won’t have clearance over the statue or a basilisk capable of balancing on the end of its tail like that. 

So far, every Star Wars diorama has also been released as a playset at least once before to some degree. 

Sometimes they are highly detailed micro versions (Death Star Trench, Podrace) which to be honest is quite a lot like the microscale Hogwarts we got in 2018, aside from the size. 

Otherwise they are based on memorable scenes with a level of detail not available in playsets (Speeder Bikes, Trash Compactor, Dagobah, Fianl Duel) which I would welcome for Harry Potter. Imagine a Duelling Club or Myrtle's bathroom diorama for example, no stickers, all brickbuilt details. 

There are countless examples of dioramas that would work for Harry Potter. Is there a demand for them? Not sure. 

Star Wars has way more sets every year that Harry Potter does though, and also is aimed way more to kids (though of course they also do Adult-Oriented Sets. That beeing said, I don´t think they will do Dioramas anytime soon, though I wouldn´t completely rule them out either. I could imagine a Diorama like @Accio Lego mentioned based in the chamber of secrets to work (and sell) quite well, as both the architecture of the chamber itself, aswell as the Basilisk won´t be displayed in such a detailed way as they could do in a diorama.

Ohh I hate this time a year, when you checking social media everyday to find out if there any new leaks.

4 minutes ago, Jaromir said:

Ohh I hate this time a year, when you checking social media everyday to find out if there any new leaks.

At this point, we‘re expecting official reveals, the time for leaks has run out :laugh_hard:

22 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

At this point, we‘re expecting official reveals, the time for leaks has run out :laugh_hard:

Maybe 1st of May official reveal will happen?

8 minutes ago, Jaromir said:

Maybe 1st of May official reveal will happen?

At the latest, I‘d say! Could be any day now! :excited:

Barad Dur, Captain Rex Micro Fighter, the new Hogwarts system… I have to admit I am pretty excited for the set reveals. This could be a very strong year.

7 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

To be fair, there’s that grey period where third party retailers will either upload photos early or as metadata and we’ll get ahold of the before lego does the official reveal. There are some Dreamzzz sets that just leaked which I’m pretty sure happened via that method since there’s only shots of the box art so far. It’s far from the first time we’ve gotten lower quality pics of sets just a little while before lego puts the more detailed high res shots on their own website. 

Yeah it’s really any day now. I’m so excited for it. Haven’t felt like this since 2020. Haven’t gotten any of the winter wave sets yet (waiting for sales or a GWP, do we have one this year?) but they’ve looked great. 

9 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

[…] waiting for sales or a GWP, do we have one this year? […]

There is going to be one in September, 40695 with 190 pieces :thumbup: I assume it gets launched alongside the Burrow!

How many of the rest of you keep refreshing your damn browsers? When have we last been so late in the year for pix of the summer sets? This feels really late.

My impression was lego has started following the leaked pix shortly after with official releases (presumably as damage control and to take away from the leakers' thunder), if so, we're still dependent on those leaks for the timeline. I am feeling so let down by their lack of leakiness... :pir_laugh2:

19 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

How many of the rest of you keep refreshing your damn browsers? When have we last been so late in the year for pix of the summer sets? This feels really late.

Last year, it was on the 1st of May, and other years it was also a bit late, like on the 25th or the 28th of April. So, we‘re still within the normal range! 2022 spoiled us a bit with the reveal on April 8th :laugh:

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Last year, it was on the 1st of May, and other years it was also a bit late, like on the 25th or the 28th of April. So, we‘re still within the normal range! 2022 spoiled us a bit with the reveal on April 8th :laugh:

Ack! The dreaded Mandela effect! :pir_laugh2: So now I had to go check. Only counting the leaked pix for the summer waves, 2023 the leaks were about the 28th, 2022 the 8th, and 2021 they were 16. April. The dates for the previous years are proving more difficult to nail down right now. 

Edit: The official lego press release was on or before 28. April 2020. Haven't found the leaks for that year yet. 

We had official pix for half the 2019 summer wave 25. April, and lego released them all on 29. April (including the 2019 HP AC).

2018 was the relaunch of the theme, and I'm not sure it should count, but I found some early official pix of the Great Hall (not even the toy fair version) from 16. February 2018 on brothers-brick. Going off their reporting, the rest seems to have been officially press released 16. May. 

Soooooo impatient. :grin:

Edited by krimimimi