MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2024 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

50 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

It looks like two of the May 4th GWPs will be a keychain and then a patch with the 25th Anniversary R2-D2 logo on them. I'm underwhelmed, to say the least.

Very disappointing. I know we've usually been getting one of the three as a non-lego item, but ONE of the three, now it's two? 

I liked the pattern we were getting of polybag-non lego item-set. It was nice, and the non lego gifts weren't bad. The beskar ingot was a cool keychain idea, even if I'd just have preferred an ingot, and the coin was also interesting. 

The patches are notably not metal, which I feel makes them less interesting and feel cheaper. The weight of the metal and the intricacy of the coin made them feel like an actual item of value rather than the patches, which are just... does anyone care whatsoever about those?

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I can't tell what you're saying here, are you saying most of the iconic scenes are dialogue? Because I'm not sure I've ever heard someone praise TPM's dialogue before. Are you saying most of the iconic scenes don't have dialogue for the quote? If so, I would say the podrace qoute isn't really a super iconic line either.

But either way, duel of the fates, right? Probably the one part of TPM most people agree is pretty good, and it has minifigures (which I do think is a factor here, to be honest. People like minifigs).

Well all of the diorama have a quote in them don’t they? A lot of them are rubbish like the Endor speed chase one. Duel of the fates what quote would they use? But also what does the build look like, which part of the dual do they show. Whilst it’s an iconic scene  it think it is more suited to a system scale set just like the one we got a few years ago. But then on the minifigure front dioramas are expensive and Darth Maul is a cheap figure so I don’t think putting them in a set like that would make it sell. I mean cheap as in he has been in so many sets in various forms you can pick him up off eBay or bricklink for a very good price 

19 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I am surprised we have not heard about the next magazine gift yet. The issue with Chewbacca should release tomorrow or Saturday in Germany and usualy some people get it early. Hope we'll get a 5th minifig in a row! Fingers crossed :thumbup:

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the red clone trooper here in France. I see a bunch of them on Bricklink being sold from Germany. Has anyone seen the red clone trooper outside of there? We still have tons of Palatine magazines. 

5 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I very much like both the driodeka and diorama. I was honestly envisioning the diorama as the pods sweeping through the starting line/grandstand area, but the iteration LEGO chose looks pretty good.

It looks like two of the May 4th GWPs will be a keychain and then a patch with the 25th Anniversary R2-D2 logo on them. I'm underwhelmed, to say the least.

On 3/21/2024 at 4:50 AM, ToaDraco said:

Saying it's the worst one ever is hyperbolic and utterly absurd when the horrendous, giant 2011 exists. This is easily the 2nd best one they've done but that's not saying much. They've never done better than the original 1999 version but this one at least looks decent. The rest have been consistently awful. After 25 years it's clear that making a minifig-scale Droideka with regular parts and making it durable enough for LEGO standards is impossible and we all need to push for a set of specialized Droideka molds. It's long overdue. 

I don’t see a 1999 Droideka minifigure on Bricklink.  What is the sw #?

2 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the red clone trooper here in France. I see a bunch of them on Bricklink being sold from Germany. Has anyone seen the red clone trooper outside of there? We still have tons of Palatine magazines. 

UK have had them but they go pretty quick. Even had magazines and someone’s stolen the figure.

9 hours ago, Llewop said:

Well all of the diorama have a quote in them don’t they? A lot of them are rubbish like the Endor speed chase one. Duel of the fates what quote would they use?

You sort of answer your question here, don't you? It doesn't matter what quote they use, as the endor speeder chase and podrace show that it doesn't have to be a remotely iconic quote (the former) or from the exact scene being shown (the latter). I could see @Flawless Cowboy's NOOOOOO, or "Promise me you'll train the boy", or "we'll handle this", or what have you. As for the fight itself, really any of it. The naboo reactor catwalk imagery is a fairly memorable background in the film, moreso than the windows 95 desktop background the main final battle takes place in at least.

7 hours ago, dai613 said:

I think he means the 2002 one.

While I don't think the new system droideka is good, I don't think new specialized molds are the answer- though that's partially because I'm generally against making everything specialized molds when they can be brick-built- this is lego, after all. I think it is possible to make a good droidika with bricks, especially since they're as big as a human in-universe. It's not like BD-1 where any brick-built model would be super oversized.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Llewop said:

Duel of the fates what quote would they use? But also what does the build look like, which part of the dual do they show.

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have our revenge." works on a number of levels. It's not in the scene but it's about the Duel in a lot of ways. The first "reveal" is a sneak attack. Darth Maul truly reveals himself to the Jedi on Naboo. It's after that duel that the truth of the Sith still being around is revealed to the Jedi. Darth Maul begins their revenge on Qui-Gon, which sets up the long-term revenge through Anakin. And on revenge, well, this quote probably puts it best: "While seeking revenge, dig two graves - one for yourself."

I've seen some MOCs. I think something as simple as one of the catwalks around the glowl-y pillar would be cool but the scenes around the shaft works, too.

Edited by Pedilego

This new Sith Infiltrator looks HORRIBLE and is way less accurate then the 2011 or 2015 versions. Just compare the entire back section to the model in Battlefront 2 and it’s not even remotely close. The figure selection is also terrible like yeah Saw is a great inclusion but only 3 TPM figures with no new characters 😐 like this would’ve been a great place to include Shmi……….

It’s certainly chibi-fied, reminds me of the Obi-Wan Star fighter in the sense that it looks more…pregnant than the in-universe model.

Shape aside, I think this is the most nicely greebled model we’ve gotten yet, a benefit of the smaller size. Only three TPM figures, possibly the only three figures we’ll get this year for the 25th anniversary, is absolutely criminal. 

Just now, Flawless Cowboy said:

It’s certainly chibi-fied, reminds me of the Obi-Wan Star fighter in the sense that it looks more…pregnant than the in-universe model.

Shape aside, I think this is the most nicely greebled model we’ve gotten yet, a benefit of the smaller size. Only three TPM figures, possibly the only three figures we’ll get this year for the 25th anniversary, is absolutely criminal. 

I like the smoothness of it, but I don't understand how this is close to 600 pieces. It feels more like a $40 model than anything else. 

Sith Infiltrator looks nice, but I also don't quite get where all of the parts are going, unless there's some interior details.  It looks similar in size to the 2007 one, albeit more detailed and a little beefier, but that one was only 310 pieces.

I don't quite get all of the complaints about not enough minifigures, though.  I feel like the Tantive set coming with 7 really skewed people's perceptions of how many figures are realistic to expect in a set.  We've gotten the Sith Infiltrator 4 times prior to this one.  The first two just came with Maul, the 2011 one came with Qui-Gon, Maul, Padme and Panaka, and the 2015 one came with Anakin, Watto, R2-D2, Maul, and Qui-Gon.  We've essentially only gotten 4 "real" minifigures at most in the set (I know R2-D2 is counted as a figure, but buildable droids sort of fall into a different category since it's not technically a minifigure), so I don't know how realistic it is to expect more than 4 figures in the set.  It just happens that we got Saw Gerrera swapped in this time instead of Padme or Panaka.

Just now, Kit Figsto said:

It just happens that we got Saw Gerrera swapped in this time instead of Padme or Panaka.

Yeah that’s not alright. Maube it’s just me but it feels like some of these anniversary figures could have easily been thrown into any tangentially related set without stealing figure space from other vital characters (in their own set) that we haven’t gotten in years.

lego had no trouble throwing in someone as obscure as Vice Admiral Sloane into the tie bomber, but fives has to be an anniversary fig? You mean he couldn’t be thrown into a random clone wars set? Saw couldn’t be thrown into any rebel set?  

Just now, Flawless Cowboy said:

Yeah that’s not alright. Maube it’s just me but it feels like some of these anniversary figures could have easily been thrown into any tangentially related set without stealing figure space from other vital characters (in their own set) that we haven’t gotten in years.

lego had no trouble throwing in someone as obscure as Vice Admiral Sloane into the tie bomber, but fives has to be an anniversary fig? You mean he couldn’t be thrown into a random clone wars set? Saw couldn’t be thrown into any rebel set?  

I don't have a problem with them throwing these characters into these sets. I just have a problem with it taking away from another figure that could be there. The Tantive and R2 sets (and heck, every 2019 anniversary set) had the anniversary characters as a bonus, not the "fourth fig slot" in their respective sets. Even the Dropship $20 set had the 4 troopers and then Han. For $70, why couldn't we have had literally any other TPM fig thrown in to pad out the figure lineup, even if it was just R2? 

Obi over Ani any day in this set, oh well. What’s the price again? They know it will sell to AFOOLS just because of Saw…

Posted (edited)

Really hoping Maul’s speeder is inside the ship and just not displayed on the box art. I mean the only characters they have are the ones from that scene.

It would explain the baby bump in front of the cockpit

Edited by Flawless Cowboy

I’m interested in whether the infiltrator has an interior. Hopefully there’s a cockpit and a small vehicle bay with his speeder.

Saw looks weirdly green to me - though, I guess he has greener armor in some iterations. I guess I had in my head that it would be closer to black, though that could also just be me Mandela-ing what he should look like. 

Posted (edited)

The Infiltrator itself is nothing special, but it's so surreal to finally see a Saw Gerrera minifig with my own two eyes :wub: Thought this day would never come! Only took... 8 years *huh* Dang, time sure flies by!!

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, dai613 said:

I meant 2002.

The new Scimitar looks pretty good. I have the nice big one from 2015 so I'm iffy on wether this new one is going to be nice enough to replace it. I need to see better angles abd a get a better look at the back to decide. Hopefully there's also a speeder bike for Maul inside as well. Also, it astounds me that they STILL cannot get the curvature of the wings right! They just flat-out gave up here. I find that rather disappointing. I mist say, overall it's not as smooth as I would have liked but there are some good design choices. I just need more before I make a final judgement. Also, what's with the probe droids? Why are they so cylindrical and flat on the sides, they look horrible!

The Saw Garerra figure looks great, if not a bit more green than I expected. Oh well, just remove the hairpiece and you get the version from Rebels/Fallen Order. I'm very happy we're finally getting him. 

Edited by ToaDraco

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I don't have a problem with them throwing these characters into these sets. I just have a problem with it taking away from another figure that could be there. The Tantive and R2 sets (and heck, every 2019 anniversary set) had the anniversary characters as a bonus, not the "fourth fig slot" in their respective sets. Even the Dropship $20 set had the 4 troopers and then Han. For $70, why couldn't we have had literally any other TPM fig thrown in to pad out the figure lineup, even if it was just R2? 

To be fair, the dropship was 33% more expensive than battle packs were at the time. We did pay for the extra fig.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The Infiltrator itself is nothing special, but it's so surreal to finally see a Saw Gerrera minifig with my own two eyes :wub: Thought this day would never come! Only took... 8 years *huh* Dang, time sure flies by!!

The second I saw the set leaked I looked for your post, did not disappoint.

Honestly I think saw was intended as a "bonus", as I could EASILY see 2024 lego selling a $70 set with 3 figs. The TIE dagger was $80 with three back in 2020, and both inflation and lego's own increases have gotten drastically worse since then. 

As for the infiltrator itself, it's fine. Feels a little overpriced. I'm glad Qui-gon has a cloth poncho.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Posted (edited)

Picture of what the ship looks like in Star wars:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/1/1c/Scimitar-USC.png/revision/latest?cb=20190604143506 

I was hoping that the new version of the Sith Infiltrator would be an improvement over the last two, but this one looks like a downgrade. For me its the shaping and the price. 

Edited by Dr.Cogg