MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2024 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

Death Star play set has 50% more pieces than Yavin?  1555 and no confirmed price? I am definitely guessing it will have a midi ship to compete with Yavin.  

Yup I agree now, I am way more stoked now than if it was going to come with only 700-800ish pieces. You can do a lot with 1555

3 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

This is not confirmed 

That piece count makes me more optimistic that we’ll be getting a more MBS-style set with an interior and figures. The original 6,000 piece count from the survey sounded absurd. ~4,000 pieces sounds ideal to make a large, but not overwhelmingly large minifig-scaled Khetanna with enough hollow space inside to reenact scenes. I also don’t believe Lego would be putting out complementary play sets like the skiff/sarlacc pit to sit alongside an empty hunk of brown. 

I almost wonder if the original set included the Sarlacc Pit plus two skiffs, and that was partly why it had 6,000 pieces.  It's strange, because IIRC, that piece count came from the official LEGO survey rather than a leaker, so it must've been planned to be that large at some point, but maybe it was downsized to make it cheaper and create more interior space, since it'd be tougher if the thing was the size of the ISD or something.

Given that the ‘creature’ build comes with Young Leia, we know it’s going to be from the Skywalker Saga films which does narrow it down. If it really is the trio of Arena Beasts from AotC, it should come with Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme at least.

The only other multi-eyed creature I can think of is a Rathtar? ‘Disgusting blob with tentacles’ doesn’t strike me as a particularly inspired set choice though.

Interesting that the Death Star piece count is higher than first stated. I feel that last year’s Yavin IV had too many compromises with the budget and attempting to replicate the exterior of the ziggurat that it seemed really half baked. With the Death Star playset, I’m hoping for something much better.

9 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

Given that the ‘creature’ build comes with Young Leia, we know it’s going to be from the Skywalker Saga films which does narrow it down.

Wait, why do we know that?

1 minute ago, Brickroll said:

Wait, why do we know that?

25th Anniversary figures only come with sets based on the saga films. I forgot who mentioned it but pretty sure it’s true.

1 minute ago, Kaijumeister said:

25th Anniversary figures only come with sets based on the saga films. I forgot who mentioned it but pretty sure it’s true.

I mean, so far we only have three data points to dictate that. I don't feel it's a definitive fact just yet.

41 minutes ago, TheUnusualBuilder said:

I mean, so far we only have three data points to dictate that. I don't feel it's a definitive fact just yet.

I think Falconfan posted on IG that the anniversary figures were Fives, Malak, Cal, Leia, White Vader, and Jedi Bob (plus visual dictionary).  Still some opportunities though with the newly leaked 25th anniversary set, GWPs, visual dictionary, and any unknowns.

1 hour ago, Kaijumeister said:

If it really is the trio of Arena Beasts from AotC, it should come with Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme at least.

The one concrete thing about this set seems to be young leia as the anniversary figure, and that it's some sort of buildable creature, so I don't think it'll have other figs, as much as we'd need that for the geonosis beasts. If it really is young leia and three beasts (or any of them, for that matter), it feels almost cruel. Hydrogen bomb vs coughing baby, essentially.

1 hour ago, Kaijumeister said:

I mean, it's a pretty small sample size, and if the Dark Side falcon has an anniversary fig (Dark Rey or infinities vader both seem like good candidates for it, seeing as they can't both be there timeline wise, and Dark Rey is the only canon figure), it kinda throws a wrench into that concept. I don't think you can really attribute that. 

Actually, a good number of skywalker saga sets coming don't have anniversary figs (TPM sets, the skiff, C-3PO, etc), so I really don't think there's any sort of correlation. IIRC the non skywalker saga sets are just the captain rex microfighter (of course they won't put an anniversary fig in a microfighter), and the mando S3 sets, where I'm sure it was due to the sets being developed immediately in response to recent material.

Actually, none of this matters- Jedi bob's starfighter isn't a skywalker saga set since jedi bob isn't canon.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The one concrete thing about this set seems to be young leia as the anniversary figure, and that it's some sort of buildable creature, so I don't think it'll have other figs, as much as we'd need that for the geonosis beasts. If it really is young leia and three beasts (or any of them, for that matter), it feels almost cruel. Hydrogen bomb vs coughing baby, essentially.

I mean, it's a pretty small sample size, and if the Dark Side falcon has an anniversary fig (Dark Rey or infinities vader both seem like good candidates for it, seeing as they can't both be there timeline wise, and Dark Rey is the only canon figure), it kinda throws a wrench into that concept. I don't think you can really attribute that. 

Actually, a good number of skywalker saga sets coming don't have anniversary figs (TPM sets, the skiff, C-3PO, etc), so I really don't think there's any sort of correlation. IIRC the non skywalker saga sets are just the captain rex microfighter (of course they won't put an anniversary fig in a microfighter), and the mando S3 sets, where I'm sure it was due to the sets being developed immediately in response to recent material.

Actually, none of this matters- Jedi bob's starfighter isn't a skywalker saga set since jedi bob isn't canon.

The Jedi Bob Starfighter doesn’t seem to have an Anniversary figure though. So far all TCW/Ahsoka/Mando/TPM sets appear to be just normal sets. 

Edited by Legofan2001

3 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I almost wonder if the original set included the Sarlacc Pit plus two skiffs, and that was partly why it had 6,000 pieces.  It's strange, because IIRC, that piece count came from the official LEGO survey rather than a leaker, so it must've been planned to be that large at some point, but maybe it was downsized to make it cheaper and create more interior space, since it'd be tougher if the thing was the size of the ISD or something.

That makes a lot of sense. If I recall correctly, the survey was basically asking the question “how much would you pay for this?” They must have listened to their feedback. 

I’m praying that the Death Star playset is not a full sphere and is like the Kenner playset. As I have the 2016 Death Star and I want to justify getting this one in the summer for Cal and to expand my imperial military with figs and a new base.

Also do you think the original rumoured fig selection is the correct one?

As much as I have wanted to get a LEGO Cal Kestis minifigure, this set is probably going to cost 160–200€, so unfortunately there's no way I'm getting it with so many amazing sets coming from other themes I prefer.

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

As much as I have wanted to get a LEGO Cal Kestis minifigure, this set is probably going to cost 160–200€, so unfortunately there's no way I'm getting it with so many amazing sets coming from other themes I prefer.

Might have to wait a bit. Yavin got reduced fairly quickly. 

The news has made me very intrigued about the set. I didn’t know I wanted a more affordable Death Star playset.  

4 hours ago, CloneCommando99 said:

I’m praying that the Death Star playset is not a full sphere and is like the Kenner playset. As I have the 2016 Death Star and I want to justify getting this one in the summer for Cal and to expand my imperial military with figs and a new base.

Also do you think the original rumoured fig selection is the correct one?

I wouldn't worry about that, 1,500 pieces isn't nearly enough to make a spherical Death Star, it'll probably just be a curved tower like with the Kenner set.

As for the figures, I'm almost certain the leaked figure selection is incorrect. None of them besides Cal (and Vader?) were ever substantiated by reliable sources, and it seems very unlikely LEGO would include only 6 (5 discounting Cal) figures in a big playset right after including 12 with Yavin.

While this is purely SPECULATION, my predicted minifigure selection is more along the lines of:

- Luke Skywalker as Stormtrooper

- Han Solo as Stormtrooper

- Princess Leia

- Darth Vader

- Grand Moff Tarkin (new face & torso)

- Admiral Motti (new face & torso)

- Imperial Navy Officer (new torso)

- Death Star Trooper x2 (new torso)

- Imperial Gunner (new torso, TIE Pilot legs)

- Mouse Droid

- Cal Kestis

4 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Might have to wait a bit. Yavin got reduced fairly quickly. 

The news has made me very intrigued about the set. I didn’t know I wanted a more affordable Death Star playset.  

I always wait a bit to get reduced prices (at start they are 20% off, but after while they go to 40–50%).

It's mostly that I don't want a set like this tho. If not for Cal Kestis, I wouldn't even consider for a second buying a Star Wars set like this. If it was fairly cheap, sure. But it's a big set I'm not in need of. I'd rather get a big Ninjago set, or just leave the money for other sets I'm planning on buying.

I don't know if this question is valid on this topic, remove in that case, but seeing that we are getting an obscure version a falcon, right after the 2019 getting retired, we might see an obscure Slave I soon? You know what I mean

7 minutes ago, starlego98 said:

I don't know if this question is valid on this topic, remove in that case, but seeing that we are getting an obscure version a falcon, right after the 2019 getting retired, we might see an obscure Slave I soon? You know what I mean

It’s a strange one because technically we’ll have two falcons on the shelves as we got a midi scale and the weird one. 

if I was a betting man I would put more money on a slave 1 from AOTC with Jango rather than another different version with Boba. I am kind of hoping these odd sets are literally a one off wave and we go back to “normal” for winter 2025

9 hours ago, CloneCommando99 said:

There's no way they could do a full sphere for $200 and have it look remotely good. The last sphere was $500 in 2016, which would be almost $650 today (side note- holy bricks is inflation bad here in the US). And that's not counting any of lego's own potential price increases. A new sphere would be less than a third the size of the last death star (and ironically is rumored to have roughly a third the figure count, which is kinda cool)- there's no way lego could pull that off and have it look remotely good/fit really any scenes. You'd either end up with a smushed sphere to have some room for figs to walk around in the middle, or a more sphere-like shape with a much smaller amount of space for figs, which I just can't see lego doing.

9 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Same- I still need to figure out a way to buy (and make space for) rivendell. A $200 kenner death star, no matter how good it looks, just won't happen. Sorry, Cal, but you're gonna have to wait until your price reduces on BL.

1 hour ago, Llewop said:

if I was a betting man I would put more money on a slave 1 from AOTC with Jango rather than another different version with Boba. I am kind of hoping these odd sets are literally a one off wave and we go back to “normal” for winter 2025

I think that's what he was implying with "obscure version of slave one" - he was referencing that since Boba's is significantly more well-known, it's what we tend to get in lego form, but since the falcon was getting a recolor, maybe we could see slave one doing the same thing.

I'm almost certain this weird wave is just for the anniversary.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

1 hour ago, starlego98 said:

With the Falcon it's important to note that this isn't just one retiring and a weird one replacing it; there's already one normal Falcon on shelves (UCS) and another normal Falcon (Midi) coming to replace the 2019 set. So that's taking us from two normal Falcons on shelves to... two normal Falcons on shelves. The Dark Falcon isn't a replacement, just a weird bonus extra.

As for Jango's Slave I, while there's always hope there's also no specific reason to believe it is or isn't in the pipeline, it's not like LEGO's decision making is ever consistent.

It's important to remember that there were several years between 2010 and 2015 where there was no Slave I on the market, same with 2015 and 2019. But then we got several in the span of a few years. Who knows?

38 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

There's no way they could do a full sphere for $200 and have it look remotely good. 

I have a New Hope that you’re right. But jokes aside I hope that the minifig selection is 100% imperial military (apart from Cal) and if they could do a mix of both death stars for the officers (my preferences are Admiral Motti and Moff Jerjerrod) that would be great!

24 minutes ago, TheUnusualBuilder said:

With the Falcon it's important to note that this isn't just one retiring and a weird one replacing it; there's already one normal Falcon on shelves (UCS) and another normal Falcon (Midi) coming to replace the 2019 set. So that's taking us from two normal Falcons on shelves to... two normal Falcons on shelves. The Dark Falcon isn't a replacement, just a weird bonus extra.

Sort of.

I'd say the normal falcon on shelves right now is the TROS falcon, at the system scale and $170 price point. The UCS Falcon is $850 now, far out of reach of children- $170 is already a pretty hefty stretch, but $850 is impossible for any child but Elon Musk's kids. I also wouldn't count the upcoming midi falcon as a replacement- it's not meant for kids, not system scale, and there's no figures or way for figures to interact with it.

The "Evil" falcon is the replacement for the TROS falcon in terms of being the next system-scaled millenium falcon.

11 minutes ago, CloneCommando99 said:

I have a New Hope that you’re right. But jokes aside I hope that the minifig selection is 100% imperial military (apart from Cal) and if they could do a mix of both death stars for the officers (my preferences are Admiral Motti and Moff Jerjerrod) that would be great!

I'm inclined to agree at least in terms of what would make me more likely to buy it. I'm not 100% sure it would sell as well without "hero" figs, but younger kids would probably be fine having a jedi to take on the empire. And for people like us, I think new officers/more officers are preferable to another set of stormtrooper luke/han. The best case scenario would be stormtrooper luke and han being the only heroes and coming with helmets AND hair, which I do think we also have a shot at.

In terms of new officers, I'm lucky to have a Tarkin, but a character as important to ANH as him should be much easier to get than he is, so I hope he shows up here. Motti or Tagge would be nice as well.

Maybe the Death Star took a Paige from Harry Potter with the modular castle, but ten death stars and it forms a sphere. (Joking I think a playset similar but counter to Yavin)

51 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm inclined to agree at least in terms of what would make me more likely to buy it. I'm not 100% sure it would sell as well without "hero" figs, but younger kids would probably be fine having a jedi to take on the empire. And for people like us, I think new officers/more officers are preferable to another set of stormtrooper luke/han. The best case scenario would be stormtrooper luke and han being the only heroes and coming with helmets AND hair, which I do think we also have a shot at.

Actually I’m of the opinion that there should be a lot more generic troopers than officers, imperial navy and stormtroopers, as who else is going to guard the station whilst the officers are having their meeting?

I am however gonna be high on hopium and predict that there will be a stormtrooper battlepack next January to fill up the Death Star.