THELEGOBATMAN

LEGO Ninjago 2024 Rumours and Discussion

I actually quite like the Riyu build. It's certainly not perfect but it's still pretty cute. I especially like that new molded head. Forsee it being reused in the future for a large buildable turtle or something. I don't have Arin or Sora in their first appearances so I don't mind their reuse here.

1 hour ago, Lion King said:

The Riyu build is ugly. 

Not surprised that it’s not a molded dragon as Ninjago dragons tend to be buildable but I do wish it’s molded. I know buildable dragons have to be more probable than moved ones. I only have the molded baby Riyu. 

Why does everyone want big moulded pieces?

Like I honestly don't get it. It's LEGO, everything should be brickbuilt. If you want a big moulded dragon go buy a Hasbro or any other toy that's out there.

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Like I honestly don't get it. It's LEGO, everything should be brickbuilt. If you want a big moulded dragon go buy a Hasbro or any other toy that's out there.

Like I honeslty don’t get it why you said that. You get big molded pieces like dinosaurs from Jurasic World? Sure Ninjao dragons are generally buildable but just not for me. 

I only collect molded creatures.

Edited by Lion King

You do know that if Riyu was a big moulded dragon the PPP would be atrocious right? 
Brick Built is fine.

6 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

I actually quite like the Riyu build. It's certainly not perfect but it's still pretty cute. I especially like that new molded head. Forsee it being reused in the future for a large buildable turtle or something. I don't have Arin or Sora in their first appearances so I don't mind their reuse here.

It doesn't look bad. Same here about getting it- I don't have any Dragons Rising stuff aside from the Jay Mech, but a $15 set with the three main new characters? Instant buy.

6 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

100% agree. A molded Riyu at this size would not only not look like a lego set, but can you imagine how little articulation it would have?

5 hours ago, Lion King said:

Like I honeslty don’t get it why you said that. You get big molded pieces like dinosaurs from Jurasic World? Sure Ninjao dragons are generally buildable but just not for me. 

I actually believe the exact same thing about the larger dinosaurs. The heads and maybe the limbs are a little complex to get good detail on, but half those torso/tail pieces are pretty simple and could EASILY be brick-built without compromising the look much.  And at the end of the day, it's lego. It's supposed to be brick-built, not giant molded parts. It's a building system, not an action figure. There are plenty of dinosaur toys with much more detail than lego can achieve even with the molded parts.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It doesn't look bad. Same here about getting it- I don't have any Dragons Rising stuff aside from the Jay Mech, but a $15 set with the three main new characters? Instant buy.

100% agree. A molded Riyu at this size would not only not look like a lego set, but can you imagine how little articulation it would have?

I actually believe the exact same thing about the larger dinosaurs. The heads and maybe the limbs are a little complex to get good detail on, but half those torso/tail pieces are pretty simple and could EASILY be brick-built without compromising the look much.  And at the end of the day, it's lego. It's supposed to be brick-built, not giant molded parts. It's a building system, not an action figure. There are plenty of dinosaur toys with much more detail than lego can achieve even with the molded parts.

That's what I'm thinking- a cheap set with the main characters is a great onboarding set, especially with S2 and more viewers coming in. I think the Jay pack and this set are really solid sets just in letting people get characters from the show.

8 hours ago, Lion King said:

I like the buildable T. Rex from the diorama so much more than the moulded one.

I think the brick-built Riyu looks really good! Even though he's older he still looks cute and chunky. Great colors too—I like the yellow-orange scales that seem to be coming in on his decorations!

The new hairpiece for Sora looks good too though it does make the version of Sora included in the book it's pictured on feel even less exciting.

Edited by Lyichir

8 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I like the 2017 Creator 3-in-1 dinosaur more then a moulded one too, even tho it looks somewhat outdated by now in terms of some pieces) and that set is super popular, as it's going to be around in 2025 (planned retirement at the end of that year), and I look forward to the new 3-in-1 buildable dinosaur set this summer.

I think Ninjago does the right middle ground, sometimes moulded heads or wing pieces, sometimes vinyl or cloth, sometimes brick built heads with tiles for eyes etc. (the 4+ designs still look weird but I can excuse those for their easy to build target group)

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I think the brick-built Riyu looks really good! Even though he's older he still looks cute and chunky. Great colors too—I like the yellow-orange scales that seem to be coming in on his decorations!

The new hairpiece for Sora looks good too though it does make the version of Sora included in the book it's pictured on feel even less exciting.

I know! I really love how they managed to maintain his proportions and adorable chonkiness, just upscaled and brick-built. I'm so excited for this set and the fact that it's only going to be $15 AND comes with 3 great minifigs, including Arin's best design, Sora with a wonderul new hair piece and one the excellent wolf mask warriors(I thino that's what it co.es with?) Sounds like an absolute steal.

Also, something about his design and role in the show really reminds me of Bumpy from Camp Cretateous and seeing him grow up and become a rideable companion like she did makes me love him even more, as Bumpy has been one of my favorite inclusions to the Jurassic franchise in a very long time.

I'm still holding out hope we eventually get a grown-up Bumpy from the LEGO Jurassic World line at some point. I mean, the absolutely GOATed Ankylosaurus mold is right there begging to be reused in a new color and you know how much LEGO loves to use teal.

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

I think Ninjago does the right middle ground, sometimes moulded heads or wing pieces, sometimes vinyl or cloth, sometimes brick built heads with tiles for eyes etc. (the 4+ designs still look weird but I can excuse those for their easy to build target group)

Agreed. As much as I absolutely love LEGO animal molds and especially Star Wars and Jurassic Park/World molds, I think Ninjago strikes the perfect balance with a handful of specialized molds for heads, wings, etc with the rest being proper brick-building. Having entirely large molded dragons would be an awful move for this theme as it would mean the dragons would be fewer, simpler, smaller, only in big expensive sets to off-set the mold cost, far less articulate, and far, FAR less unique. Ninjago has had some really incredible and innovative dragon builds over the years. Taking that away would be a massive mistake.

Edited by ToaDraco

I feel like Riyu is a bit ugly, but once we get some more angles I suspect it'll look nicer. Not sure if I'll get that one, maybe though since I think it's supposed to be kinda cheap?

44 minutes ago, Meaf said:

I feel like Riyu is a bit ugly, but once we get some more angles I suspect it'll look nicer. Not sure if I'll get that one, maybe though since I think it's supposed to be kinda cheap?

$16 US, €15, so I think at that price, it looks great , I mean, it still looks much better compared to 71815 - Kai's Source Dragon Battle (4+) which is a crazy $38/€38.

Edited by TeriXeri

12 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I’m glad you like it becuasee I think i’s ugly in my honest opinion.

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

$16 US, €15, so I think at that price, it looks great , I mean, it still looks much better compared to 71815 - Kai's Source Dragon Battle (4+) which is a crazy $38/€38.

Oh that is really cheap, I could totally see myself impulse buying it at some point. I'm glad Ninjago seems to be leaning back into those sorts of sets a little more, expensive sets are great too but having a lot of cheaper ones on shelves is good for kids and people like me who don't have a ton to spend on Lego.

1 hour ago, Meaf said:

Oh that is really cheap, I could totally see myself impulse buying it at some point. I'm glad Ninjago seems to be leaning back into those sorts of sets a little more, expensive sets are great too but having a lot of cheaper ones on shelves is good for kids and people like me who don't have a ton to spend on Lego.

Yeah when it comes to like mechs, dragons, vehicles and such I prefer the €10 / €15 / €20 or €30 price ranges usually (also goes for City, Creator 3-in-1, or Friends (Pirates or Castle sadly do not have such price range sets, "Space" now does via City at least)

I can understand people that want big dragons or big mechs etc, but sometimes sets can be bloated + I prefer locations when it comes to large sets, my largest dragon is the 2020 skeleton dragon, and mech from that same wave.

At least a theme like City now does it's location sets with less vehicles, like their appartment / downtown sets of 2023, instead of being like 50% vehicles seen a few years before.

I'm not a huge Ninjago collector (mainly got the 2020 wave, and then crystal king temple+monster, and then the 2022 Dojo+expansion), but I hope this year's Shadow Dojo / Dragon Temple looks good.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Meaf said:

Yeah, not to sound nostalgic, but early Ninjago had a lot of good small impulse sets (those little Kai/Cole sets, Venomari Shrines, Spinners and especially the Booster packs, and those little vehicles from 2014-2016. I felt like Seabound and some of the waves around it really lacked sets like that. It's good to have little sets like that com e back.

2 hours ago, novareb said:

Yeah, not to sound nostalgic, but early Ninjago had a lot of good small impulse sets (those little Kai/Cole sets, Venomari Shrines, Spinners and especially the Booster packs, and those little vehicles from 2014-2016. I felt like Seabound and some of the waves around it really lacked sets like that. It's good to have little sets like that com e back.

It brought me back into the theme- I don't have the money or space for a full ninjago collection, but I couldn't say no to a $10 set with the newest Jay and a Sensei version of Lloyd. And I think come this set's release, I'll probably end up getting it- having the three main new characters in a single $15 set is too good to pass up.

37 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It brought me back into the theme- I don't have the money or space for a full ninjago collection, but I couldn't say no to a $10 set with the newest Jay and a Sensei version of Lloyd. And I think come this set's release, I'll probably end up getting it- having the three main new characters in a single $15 set is too good to pass up.

That's exactly what happened with me- I saw the little Jay mech, got excited about a Jay mech pilot figure, and that caused me to have a resurgence of Ninjago fandom and buy a bunch of the sets, haha. Love impulse sets.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:14 PM, novareb said:

That's exactly what happened with me- I saw the little Jay mech, got excited about a Jay mech pilot figure, and that caused me to have a resurgence of Ninjago fandom and buy a bunch of the sets, haha. Love impulse sets.

I know! I just got the Kai vs Rapton polybag- I couldn't pass up two figs for $5- and it's a cute little set, but now I feel like I have to get all the ninja's Dragons Rising Gi.

6 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I know! I just got the Kai vs Rapton polybag- I couldn't pass up two figs for $5- and it's a cute little set, but now I feel like I have to get all the ninja's Dragons Rising Gi.

Same here- while I was waiting for Jay mech set to launch, I grabbed that polybag and loved the Kai lol

With a few March sets being revealed today, we can’t be very far out from seeing the rest of this wave!

I kinda like the brick-built Riyu. I hope he continues to grow and we see a large version of him soon!

1 hour ago, Rolyat24 said:

With a few March sets being revealed today, we can’t be very far out from seeing the rest of this wave!

I kinda like the brick-built Riyu. I hope he continues to grow and we see a large version of him soon!

Yup. Another pic of Kais climbing mech has leaked. Have to say, not too hot on the look. I think it’s way to skinny for it to be an actual “climber” mech. 

The first image didn't really sell me on the set, but this one kinda does.

I do really like the design of the mech's cockpit area, these angled parts really make it stand out. But with this image now it looks quite small for what it is, like the arms feel like they are simillar size to the $30 Kai's mech which doesn't look good for a mech at $70. I do quite like the second pair of arms they are really skinny, but I think that they fit with the whole design, and also before I wasn't sure if there would be some articulation on the second pair of arms but they do have that standard big mech ratchet joint articulation, but I don't know on how much articulation will it actually have.  And also there is a villain vehicle in this set, and villain vehicles are always a + for me. I don't know how big it would actually be, but I'd hope that it is quite substential, and it isn't just like the imperium gliders from the Zane car.

So now I'm kinda considering this set, but the only thing that is holding me back are the minifigures. Because only 4 minifigures for $70 doesn't sound good at all, especially when there is a $30 Kai mech with the same amount. The previously rumoured 2 wolf worriors would have been perfect, but instead of that there is just Jordana, who I'd have from the smaller kai Mech, so that's even worse for me personally. But the other minifigures are quite great with it being the only way to get climber jay and from what I saw I do really like the climber suits a lot. The new Wyldfyre is also neat, but I do own her s1 design, so I'm not that into getting her.

Dragon stone temple has leaked.

it’s stunning, I can’t lie. Wu, Kai, Nya (in season 1 robes with island hair) master Lloyd Ras and an unknown character with golden staff are included. Build is a Chinese dragon in a crescent moon shape, pool at the bottom and tree at its head, dragon itself is made of stone. It’s beautiful. Maybe a little small for £100 but still I love it.