17 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Speaking of recolors, a part of me hopes that the new part 4569 (a 1x6 slope matching the angle of the classic 6x8 slope used for the spoiler on the recent Galaxy Explorer set) comes in some other colors like blue, grey, and black soon. So far I think it only appears in white and earth blue in the Concorde set, but as a brand-new basic slope piece I think it has a TON of potential for classic-inspired builds.

It also appears in white in the Ghost

7 hours ago, SpacePolice89 said:

When it comes to such sets I believe it's important to keep the original design of the minifigures. They sell for two reasons: appreciation for a design style that is very rare nowadays and nostalgia and fandom of older themes. Therefore it's of utmost importance to keep the design of the minifigures the same because then there is continuity with the original sets from that theme. 

I disagree entirely (Classic Space notwithstanding). When these Minifigs were first released, they were not intended to be abstract, simplistic depictions of spacesuits; they were just the most complex designs that LEGO could manage at the time (the same goes for classic Castle, Town, and Pirates). Since the recent classic remakes have been updated, modernised, versions of classic sets (or new sets with classic factions), the Minifigs should also be updated to modern standards (as we have seen with the Castle and Pirates remakes). The CMF Space Police Guy is a perfect example of how to fully modernise a classic design while also keeping it true to the original, and IMO LEGO should continue with this method going forward. 
Classic Space is the only exception to this, and that is because their simplicity is the source of their charm. Additionally, LEGO seems to have intended them to be more abstract and retro, since Town Minifigs released in 1979 had greater levels of detail and more implied features/textures (such as this, this, and this). 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Classic Space is the only exception to this, and that is because their simplicity is the source of their charm. Additionally, LEGO seems to have intended them to be more abstract and retro, since Town Minifigs released in 1979 had greater levels of detail and more implied features/textures (such as this, this, and this). 

I think Classic Space, seem somewhat inspired by the fairly simple  Star Trek (1966) uniforms, original series uniforms were very simple single color torsos for the most part. 

It's interesting to note that both Star Trek's and LEGO's "Next Generation" of space happened in 1987, and LEGO did switch to 2-tone uniforms at that time with Futuron/Space Police, which what looks like smaller logos/com badges to me.

But I do realise that Red/Blue/Yellow LEGO were common colors long before minifigures, and LEGO space did start with white outfit figures, and not blue, so I don't see it as a copycat of star trek, just likely some inspiration was taken from it (LEGO also used white uniforms and white+color instead of Black+color that Star Trek is known for. LEGO also put the logo on the left instead of the right.

Of course LEGO minifgs were also more intended as spacesuits while star trek are uniforms inside ships . 

Interestingly enough, the later Star Trek "movie alternate timeline" did have very colorful spacesuits

Edited by TeriXeri

21 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I think Classic Space, seem somewhat inspired by the fairly simple  Star Trek (1966) uniforms, original series uniforms were very simple single color torsos for the most part.

It's interesting to note that both Star Trek's and LEGO's "Next Generation" of space happened in 1987, and LEGO did switch to 2-tone uniforms at that time with Futuron/Space Police, which what looks like smaller logos/com badges to me.

I agree, and the designers even considered the different colours to denote occupations (once they introduced yellow, blue, and black). 

The later Star Trek 2009 movie (Kelvin alternative reality timeline) uses very colorful single color spacesuits (actually in this case Orbital Skydiving Suits) in either metallic Red / Blue or Gold(yellow) , which even have a centralized logo.

Just thought it was fun to see Star Trek suits look like Classic Space suits in that case.

Edited by TeriXeri

I both agree and disagree on the account of minifigure changes. I believe that minifigure changes would be good if done well. The space police guy looks great, not so much because of the design, but simply because he has a badass outfit. But the design is also simple enough to be effective. If any old space factions were given a similar treatment, not in terms of looks, but in terms of approach, that would be great.

But if they would be changed to be as 10305 minifigures, I wouldn't like that.

The beauty of old minifigures is that they're simple and elegant and the lack of detail means the user can just imagine and project anything onto the blank canvas, they're sort of like the Keanu Reeves of the Lego world.

The space police guy works because he adds new objects and shapes more than anything.

If however, everything is drawn on the minifigure, like creases in the fabric and such

LEGO-10305-Lion-Knights-Castle-Lion-Knig

then the blank canvas of what you imagine it to be is replaced by something very specific, and that specific thing is drawn, thus looking like a sticker and not like something that's built or molded or brick-y in any way.

And for me minifigures are fun as a cute, blocky representation of something real. If they get closer to something real than that not through 3d detail, but through prints, they become like every other toy out there depicting the same thing, only more Lego-shaped on the outside, instead of feeling like Lego through and through.

P. S. Another important thing I forgot to mention is that for maximum cuteness factor the visual complexity of the minifigures has to match the visual complexity of the build (at least as much as it's possible). The minifigure on the left surpasses the majority of details on 10305 by a big margin and thus looks like it doesn't belong or it's not "Lego enough". 10497 didn't have this issue, obviously. It looks like the figures needed more details if anything, but then again if something truly has no detail, you can't show it no matter how much you up the resolution. This is why "overly simple" figures can work, but "overly complex" look out of place.

P. P. S. And if Lego would produce a MOC-looking set with some crazy over the top greebling, etc., then yes, a complex looking minifigure might match that more than an overly simple one, even if it's all prints.

Edited by Merlo

On 9/16/2023 at 11:06 AM, Aanchir said:

Certainly, for a lot of the 80s Space factions, that minimalism is a relatively intrinsic part of their appeal. But with some of the 90s Space factions, I feel like questions start to emerge about which details are still in line with modern standards of quality, and which speak to the conventions and limitations of their time:

I think you raise good questions. I'm fine with more liberties taken in SP2 and later themes. 

Just please, no belt loops. I really don't like this torso:

973pb2035c01.png

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

It also appears in white in the Ghost

I disagree entirely (Classic Space notwithstanding). When these Minifigs were first released, they were not intended to be abstract, simplistic depictions of spacesuits; they were just the most complex designs that LEGO could manage at the time (the same goes for classic Castle, Town, and Pirates). Since the recent classic remakes have been updated, modernised, versions of classic sets (or new sets with classic factions), the Minifigs should also be updated to modern standards (as we have seen with the Castle and Pirates remakes). The CMF Space Police Guy is a perfect example of how to fully modernise a classic design while also keeping it true to the original, and IMO LEGO should continue with this method going forward. 

We can agree to disagree

52 minutes ago, Merlo said:

The beauty of old minifigures is that they're simple and elegant and the lack of detail means the user can just imagine and project anything onto the blank canvas, they're sort of like the Keanu Reeves of the Lego world.

If however, everything is drawn on the minifigure, like creases in the fabric and such then the blank canvas of what you imagine it to be is replaced by something very specific, and that specific thing is drawn, thus looking like a sticker and not like something that's built or molded or brick-y in any way.

And for me minifigures are fun as a cute, blocky representation of something real. If they get closer to something real than that not through 3d detail, but through prints, they become like every other toy out there depicting the same thing, only more Lego-shaped on the outside, instead of feeling like Lego through and through.

I agree with this too. Little wrinkles here and there on random minifig torsos look silly. If a torso is supposed to represent a billowing robe, then sure, put some big wrinkles on it, but don't add little wrinkles just because.

Lego minifig prints should be like iconography. They're never going to look realistic, and they shouldn't try to.

Like the torso I posted above, the little "bump" in the seam line above the zipper pull breaks the clean look of the line and almost looks like an error. The vertical gray lines add nothing, and the weird gray shadow in the bottom right is just a distraction. And of course the belt is terrible and hides the bottom corner of the green triangle which is a bad choice IMO.

Edited by danth

2 minutes ago, danth said:

Lego minifig prints should be like iconography. They're never going to look realistic, and they shouldn't try to.

Exactly. And I didn't even see that bump above the zipper the first time. That torso is a big no-no for me.

When these Minifigs were first released, they were not intended to be abstract, simplistic depictions of spacesuits; they were just the most complex designs that LEGO could manage at the time (the same goes for classic Castle, Town, and Pirates).

I don't think this is true. I really do think minifigs back then were intentionally generic and simple. In the 70s/80s, Lego was a Building Block toy with minifigs. Now, Lego is an Mini-Figure toy with building blocks. More of an intentional decision, probably because fans of SW, Marvel, etc really care about the minifigs/characters first and foremost. So the minifigs have much more "detailed" prints.

The CMF Space Police Guy is a perfect example of how to fully modernise a classic design while also keeping it true to the original, and IMO LEGO should continue with this method going forward. 

The CMF Space Police torso was certainly better than the green one I posted above. I wish the Space logo was a bit bigger though.

973pb4140.png

On 9/16/2023 at 2:56 PM, Lyichir said:

Speaking of recolors, a part of me hopes that the new part 4569 (a 1x6 slope matching the angle of the classic 6x8 slope used for the spoiler on the recent Galaxy Explorer set) comes in some other colors like blue, grey, and black soon. So far I think it only appears in white and earth blue in the Concorde set, but as a brand-new basic slope piece I think it has a TON of potential for classic-inspired builds.

Oh wow, that could be useful.

That reminds me, there were some new (at least new to me) sloped pieces from Speed Champions I was excited about; the orange and grey ones here:

McLaren%20new-3.jpg

On 9/16/2023 at 12:32 PM, danth said:

If new designs with Classic Space colors and curved/rounded parts are called 'Neo" Classic Space, that might keep everyone happy.

I second that.

I start to think we will not see Icons Moment Space set this fall becuase there are no leaks  so I assume this set will be released in April 2024 instead. 

12 hours ago, Lion King said:

I start to think we will not see Icons Moment Space set this fall becuase there are no leaks  so I assume this set will be released in April 2024 instead. 

What exactly is Lego Moments? Is it reimagined sets like the Galaxy Explorer or is it something completely different? Do we have any new information about it? Sorry about all the questions! :classic: 

2 hours ago, SpacePolice89 said:

What exactly is Lego Moments? Is it reimagined sets like the Galaxy Explorer or is it something completely different? Do we have any new information about it? Sorry about all the questions! :classic: 

Leakers said it is a new Subtheme of Icons for the remakes/reimaginations of old sets. The rumoured Blacktron Renegade is supposed to be the first (and IMO only Set yet) that will be in this theme. But if they wouldn´t plan to make more they wouldn´t make a whole theme for it.

On 9/17/2023 at 6:58 PM, Merlo said:

... hen the blank canvas of what you imagine it to be is replaced by something very specific, and that specific thing is drawn, thus looking like a sticker and not like something that's built or molded or brick-y in any way.

For the new Castle figures,  I use the torsos but not the legs. I'm not a fan of printed legs, at least those with print on the upper thighs. These cannot be posed without changing the relative position of whatever is printed. Knee pads and similar are fine. But add plain legs (with the same colour hips) instead of printed and they look great. They are the perfect combination of classic design but looking modern for me. 

8 minutes ago, MAB said:

For the new Castle figures,  I use the torsos but not the legs. I'm not a fan of printed legs, at least those with print on the upper thighs. These cannot be posed without changing the relative position of whatever is printed. Knee pads and similar are fine. But add plain legs (with the same colour hips) instead of printed and they look great. They are the perfect combination of classic design but looking modern for me. 

Interesting, do you have a photo of these newly made figures?

5 hours ago, SpacePolice89 said:

It’s what Black Falcon dude said. I think I heard there are two Moments sets next year but I may be mistaken tho… I’m quite excited about Space-hemmed Moment set!

3 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Leakers said it is a new Subtheme of Icons for the remakes/reimaginations of old sets. The rumoured Blacktron Renegade is supposed to be the first (and IMO only Set yet) that will be in this theme. But if they wouldn´t plan to make more they wouldn´t make a whole theme for it.

That sounds very promising. Thank you for the information!

26 minutes ago, Lion King said:

It’s what Black Falcon dude said. I think I heard there are two Moments sets next year but I may be mistaken tho… I’m quite excited about Space-hemmed Moment set!

So am I. We live in very exciting times with new Space sets coming every year. I had already given up on getting new Blacktron sets but then the Blacktron Cruiser happened and I felt just as excited building it as I was back in the day when Blacktron 1 was available. A new Renegade would be so cool! 

8 hours ago, Lion King said:

Yeah you are right, there are supposed to be two sets as of now. Noone knows what the second set will be yet though. We will see. Might also be we get some GWPs for this, though all of them are not listed to be under the moments theme. But we will see.

Soo, LEGO posted this for City (see video below)

Clearly the designs are recolors of the 2022 City Space suits, which had the same dual moulded arms in azure instead, but I wonder if this will mean the 2024 City Space sets will actually use that design in their sets.

cty1413.png

LEGO 2022 City space already had logo references closer to classic space , at least in having very similar recolored logo variants on the torso, flags, printed tiles etc likely referencing to  Earth (Blue), Moon (Silver on torso), and Mars (orange), rather then using a more stylized variant from 2019.

6384572.jpg6317066.jpg6384063.jpg

I wonder if those minifig suits will be seen in actual 2024 sets, and if so, colors like lime or turquoise certainly does set it apart from anything current-day / Nasa etc. and set names do seem to indicate City doing it's own thing for 2024, regarding Hoverbike, Aliens etc being part of set names. (sets are already listed at brickset https://brickset.com/sets/subtheme-Space )

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

Soo, LEGO posted this for City (see video below)

Clearly the designs are recolors of the 2022 City Space suits, which had the same dual moulded arms in azure instead, but I wonder if this will mean the 2024 City Space sets will actually use that design in their sets.

LEGO 2022 City space already had logo references closer to classic space , at least in having very similar recolored logo variants on the torso, flags, printed tiles etc likely referencing to  Earth (Blue), Moon (Silver on torso), and Mars (orange), rather then using a more stylized variant from 2019.

I wonder if those minifig suits will be seen in actual 2024 sets, and if so, colors like lime or turquoise certainly does set it apart from anything current-day / Nasa etc. and set names do seem to indicate City doing it's own thing for 2024, regarding Hoverbike, Aliens etc being part of set names. (sets are already listed at brickset https://brickset.com/sets/subtheme-Space )

I could see the recolored space suits in this video just being to make the different "characters" more obvious (different color schemes + visible faces).

Kind of a tangent, but I wonder if the new Trans. Black color (used so far in Star Wars, Sonic the Hedgehog, and the Concorde set) could be a good color for visors. Its heavy tint could be a good "middle ground" between clear visors and more realistic reflective ones.

Edited by Lyichir

On 10/14/2023 at 9:12 AM, TeriXeri said:

The 2022 suits (here and here) were obviously based on the real-world Artemis Mission suits; I am guessing that we will get this suit in the 2024 sets (which also could be designed to fit with this year's exploration subtheme Minifigs 🤔). 

Don’t know if this has been mentioned in this thread but a dark purple Classic Spaceman has appeared in a promotional set, DS2023. 

I’m aware that it’s already possible to assemble a dark purple CS astronaut from existing parts - I have a couple - but this is the first to appear by design.