2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

The CMF set is such a fun assortment, I really hope that the QR code trick continues to work.  I definitely need a few of the Ice Planet guys, and I love the the alien tourist, constellation, M-Tron guy, and UFO costume.

Finally someone Is talking about CMF Series 26!

Agreed, this series look fun to collect! I I might order two packaged sets if I hit jackpot…

5 hours ago, Lion King said:

Finally someone Is talking about CMF Series 26!

Well, there is an active dedicated thread about it:

The base expansion set 60439 comes out on Monday, is there any indication that it might be exclusive to Lego? Or should I expect to see it at eg Kmart for a more palatable price? The answer dictates whether I get it with my next S@H order or not. Viking Village is finally in stock (but how long will it last?), and the D&D castle is also calling my name...

And before I forget AGAIN, regarding how 'Space' the City Space sets are: the designs are very 'Space'-patible. If the colours were that of the Friends Space (how cool is 42602?), it would be even more 'Space'. If the jumpsuits were just a bit more colourful (even just the legs being the same colour as the arms & helmet - they wouldn't even all need printing, just plain legs would work fine), they would also be less 'City' and more 'Space'. Calling it "City Space" makes the sub-optimal colouring forgiveable... but the purple, orange & white on these sets would've been amazing - a missed opportunity. :shrug_oh_well:

5 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Calling it "City Space" makes the sub-optimal colouring forgiveable... but the purple, orange & white on these sets would've been amazing - a missed opportunity. :shrug_oh_well:

Yes!

I recently heard someone call Lego "cowardly" in their reluctance to use more colorful canopies, and I agree.

However they definitely use colored canopies in Friends, Ninjago, and Monkie Kid. So that makes me wonder if Lego thinks only girls/women and little kids like colors, but adult men do not, and if 2024 City Space is really targeted (at least in part) towards older teenage boys and adult men.

5 hours ago, Artanis I said:

The base expansion set 60439 comes out on Monday, is there any indication that it might be exclusive to Lego? Or should I expect to see it at eg Kmart for a more palatable price? The answer dictates whether I get it with my next S@H order or not.

In the US it's available from Target for the same price. I dunno about Australia.

10 minutes ago, danth said:

if 2024 City Space is really targeted (at least in part) towards older teenage boys and adult men.

I very much doubt this.  I don't think anything in the City line is or ever has been targeted toward adults.  Not that I have an in-depth understanding of the City line over the years, but if you've looked at the sets over the years, it's pretty clear they are kid's sets.  I think Lego makes pretty clear which of their sets are targeted to adults.

12 minutes ago, danth said:

However they definitely use colored canopies in Friends, Ninjago, and Monkie Kid. So that makes me wonder if Lego thinks only girls/women and little kids like colors, but adult men do not, and if 2024 City Space is really targeted (at least in part) towards older teenage boys and adult men.

I think you are reading to much into it. Different themes have different colour shemes and they choose to use more realistical colours that are more based on actual existing Spacevehicles for it, making it look like those ships would actually be future spacecraft that were developed based on nowadays spaceships.

This also makes sense considering City is a theme that is picturing the actual world though of course they also don´t keep to close to if where needed. 

5 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

I think you are reading to much into it. Different themes have different colour shemes and they choose to use more realistical colours that are more based on actual existing Spacevehicles for it, making it look like those ships would actually be future spacecraft that were developed based on nowadays spaceships.

This also makes sense considering City is a theme that is picturing the actual world though of course they also don´t keep to close to if where needed. 

This. I quickly looked though Ninjago and Monki Kid sets. Generally coloured windscreens are used for very flashy sets with mostly carefully choosen colour styles. Many others, still use just clear.

Personally I really like the sleek look, that is really enforced by the black windscreens.

32 minutes ago, mon-o-mat said:

Personally I really like the sleek look, that is really enforced by the black windscreens.

The tinted windscreens are OK, they are just too dark for me.  Instead of adding to the visual effect of the set, I think they take away because the "trans-black" is just too dark to easily see what's behind the screen.  Lego is also using these a bit deceptively.  The pictures on the boxes and the website have much lighter (almost clear) windscreens, so they don't really represent what is actually in the set.

20 minutes ago, Space78 said:

The tinted windscreens are OK, they are just too dark for me.  Instead of adding to the visual effect of the set, I think they take away because the "trans-black" is just too dark to easily see what's behind the screen.  Lego is also using these a bit deceptively.  The pictures on the boxes and the website have much lighter (almost clear) windscreens, so they don't really represent what is actually in the set.

Funny you should say that, I think that's true for most of the colored windscreens that are so essential to the Space aesthetic for so many people. I think it's awfully hard to see though trans-dark blue (Classic Space, Futuron, Spyrius, Unitron, Aquanauts, Space Police III, Alpha Team 1, Dreamzz/Space), trans-dark red (Space Police I, Alpha Team/Ogel, Galaxy Squad/alien buggoids, Monkie Kid), trans-dark green (Classic Space, Space Police II, Hydronauts, Town Jr), trans-neon orange (Ice Planet, Aquasharks, sort of Nexo Knights) ... I don't think trans-yellow, trans-light blue, trans-neon green, and trans-brown (old trans-black) are so hard to see through, but new trans-black being hard to see through is pretty much in line with most transparent colored windscreens in old Space and Space-adjacent sets, and therefore feels very Spacey to me. As a kid looking through old sets on Brickset, I actually didn't like a lot of old Space and Space-adjacent stuff because I didn't like how hard it was to see through the colored windscreens. It took a long time for those to grow on me to the point where I like some (but not all) of them as an adult.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Space78 said:

I wouldn't say that they are much darker then the old transparent brown. But I actually think that my intersellar spaceship has a darker teint than the other windscreens. So it could be a consistency/quality issue again...

Edited by mon-o-mat

2 hours ago, danth said:

Yes!

I recently heard someone call Lego "cowardly" in their reluctance to use more colorful canopies, and I agree.

The City space sets definitely aren't any more targeted toward adults than things like Ninjago and Monkie Kid. I think the reasons for the use of trans black in the City space sets are a combination of realism (to ground the more sci-fi designs a little more so they're not as much of a departure from the City theme as they otherwise would be) and novelty (because trans black is one of the newest transparent colors in Lego's color palette and this is one of the first themes/subthemes to use it this heavily, the only others being Speed Champions and a couple isolated sets in other themes like the Concorde or a couple Sonic the Hedgehog sets).

Personally I like it though—it feels fresh and new, and doesn't feel "biased" toward any one of the colored sub-factions within the theme.

2 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I think the reasons for the use of trans black in the City space sets are a combination of realism and novelty

Personally I like it though—it feels fresh and new, and doesn't feel "biased" toward any one of the colored sub-factions within the theme.

That's a good way of looking at it - for me the new trans-black seems a lot more sci-fi and a lot less like real everyday auto glass than old trans-black/trans-brown, trans-light blue, or trans-clear, so it seems more Spacey to me than any of those - and using it is a good way to say that CS'24 (that's what I call it) is trying to be its own thing, not a callback to any previous Space or Space-adjacent subtheme.

10 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Well, there is an active dedicated thread about it:

Welcome to Eurobricks where there are many threads that fans are not sure to post… “ongoing Sci-fi discussion’, “2024 Space Setss”, and “CMF Series 26: Space theme!!”…

6 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I think the reasons for the use of trans black in the City space sets are a combination of realism (to ground the more sci-fi designs a little more so they're not as much of a departure from the City theme as they otherwise would be) and novelty

The realism aspect is for sure part of it, but isn't that indelibly linked to being designed more for adults? Do kids care about realism? I feel like they're being careful to not turn off adult collectors.

But I have unpopular opinions on this. I think there are themes that are secretly aimed more at adults than kids.

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

It's growing on me. The good thing is that trans black it doesn't feel like a city windshield color. And it's prettier than the old trans brown.

5 hours ago, Space78 said:

I'm okay with how dark the trans black windscreens are, but agree that the website/box pics are deceptive. I think they make some colors lighter and other colors darker. Trans light blue in particular always looks darker in box/website pics IMO. Probably because they know regular trans blue would look cooler!

Forgot to say...I'm totally fine with making windscreens lighter for marketing pics if that's what it takes to get darker colored windscreens. If Lego thinks it's that important to show off the pilots/drivers, I'd prefer them lightening the canopies in pics vs using lighter actual parts. I much prefer trans green, red, and blue to trans light green, pink, and light blue.

Personally I think it's a shame that so much focus is on the minifigures vs the actual build. I want to see a big, beautiful, vibrant windscreen on my vehicles. If I want to see inside, I'll open the canopy/door/whatever.

I don't think a design like this would even work with trans clear canopies:

6932-1.jpg

11 minutes ago, danth said:

The realism aspect is for sure part of it, but isn't that indelibly linked to being designed more for adults? Do kids care about realism? I feel like they're being careful to not turn off adult collectors.

Well those City-Sets just look like future-based space and do have aliens. That beeing said, I don´t think Adults do care more about realism than kids to here. Especially when we consider that old space sets had colourful canopys I would expect a colour sheme more based on older sets rather than realistic space and more references towards older Sets if it were designed for actual adults.

Sure not every adult had those old sets or Lego at all, but even then I don´t see why Adults wouldn´t like colourful spacesets either, after all Ninjago is really colourful and has a lot adult fans, too.

11 minutes ago, danth said:

I'm okay with how dark the trans black windscreens are, but agree that the website/box pics are deceptive. I think they make some colors lighter and other colors darker. Trans light blue in particular always looks darker in box/website pics IMO. Probably because they know regular trans blue would look cooler!

Yeah, I had the same with the pictures of the XL-15 from the Lightyear Movie, the canopy just didn´t look the same like it did on pictures for the Blacktron Cruiser, though it was the same part used. But on the Lightyear set it looked more greenish than actually yellow.

36 minutes ago, danth said:

Do kids care about realism?

But I have unpopular opinions on this. I think there are themes that are secretly aimed more at adults than kids.

Some kids do, some kids don't. YMMV.

Speed Champions was one such theme. Then the designers came out and said so!

15 hours ago, icm said:

Some kids do, some kids don't. YMMV.

I've read interviews from designers where they talk about this, less in terms of "realism" than in terms of kids' idea of how things are "supposed" to be (which can be informed just as much by pop culture and other toys on the market as by their real-life experiences). For example, not all fire engines in real life are red, but apparently in some kid-testing sessions, some of the kids would outright cry if a fire engine wasn't red, because in their eyes that was "wrong". For that matter, a big part of what made LEGO City an immediate, enduring hit when it launched in 2005 — especially compared to the Jack Stone and World City launches that preceded it — was its focus on details that evoked a sense of realism rather than cool, futuristic vibes. So kids in the City theme's target age range clearly care about realism to some extent.

On a personal level, I do prefer the color schemes in the Friends space sets to those in their City counterparts, but then, I'm often a big fan of Friends color schemes — whereas I'm very used to seeing other AFOLs respond disparagingly to those color schemes or any others that they perceive as "Friends-ish". I was likewise a big fan of the vivid, high-contrast color schemes in themes like Power Miners and Atlantis — which were extremely divisive among other AFOLs, to say the least! So while some of us might've been perfectly happy if the Friends space fleet's white/orange/purple color scheme were shared by Space sets in other themes like City and Technic, I can't help but dread the sort of discourse on sites like Eurobricks and Brickset that would surely follow…

6 minutes ago, Lion King said:

?

"YMMV" is an acronym meaning "Your mileage may vary". The phrase originates in car commercials but on the internet mainly is used as shorthand to mean "your opinion/experience may differ from this".

3 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

"YMMV" is an acronym meaning "Your mileage may vary". The phrase originates in car commercials but on the internet mainly is used as shorthand to mean "your opinion/experience may differ from this".

Ahhh thanks!

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

On a personal level, I do prefer the color schemes in the Friends space sets to those in their City counterparts, but then, I'm often a big fan of Friends color schemes — whereas I'm very used to seeing other AFOLs respond disparagingly to those color schemes or any others that they perceive as "Friends-ish". I was likewise a big fan of the vivid, high-contrast color schemes in themes like Power Miners and Atlantis — which were extremely divisive among other AFOLs, to say the least! So while some of us might've been perfectly happy if the Friends space fleet's white/orange/purple color scheme were shared by Space sets in other themes like City and Technic, I can't help but dread the sort of discourse on sites like Eurobricks and Brickset that would surely follow…

Looking at the other side of it, the 'lack of popularity' for (some? all?) Friends sets amongst AFOLs means they are more likely be still available on clearance. I found 42605 Mars Space Base and Rocket for 40% off in a Walmart the other week and was thrilled, as I think it's both a fabulous playset, and a great looking setup. The white/orange/purple colour scheme is really nice.

Simply substituting the legs for the ones from Galaxy Squad, and adding a yellow visor:

sZgdGsw.jpeg

2 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Simply substituting the legs for the ones from Galaxy Squad, and adding a yellow visor:

sZgdGsw.jpeg

Nice. I actually don't really like the standard visors the pilots get. It just doesn't look right to have the large visor but having the helmet behind most of it. It was clearly made be not clear.

Posted (edited)

Again one more reason not to blindly follow "leaks" anticipating Blacktron like 9 months ahead of time, and then if it doesn't happen is not LEGO's fault, it's over-expecting on some potential set name / description way ahead of time.

But hey, at least it's not an actual deception like some video games have had in the past, pre order etc etc only to get a completely different game from trailers / previews.

Edited by TeriXeri