4 hours ago, Space78 said:

All we have is a box art picture at this point.  Any chance oxygen tanks will be in the box, but just not shown on the box art picture?

Not likely; if airtanks were going to be included for when the astronauts are not sitting, then they would be wearing them when pictured standing (as they are on the box). Also, there does not appear to be anywhere to store the removed airtanks; LEGO rarely includes loose pieces in sets without some kind of storage area. 

OK, I guess there's also the possibility that the box are is incorrect, which has been known to happen before.

No airtanks, but still wearing their helmets inside? :wacko:

I don't need/want that set :sweet: (hooray!)

21 hours ago, icm said:

Gee. Well. Um. I was hoping for something more like a small 8x16 building inspired by the classic 926 space base from 1979, but furnished as a diner. I had a lot of sets I wanted to buy in the middle of May, but I guess I'll wait for a better GWP later in the year. Or I might just try and sell the GWPs on Bricklink.

Well honestly, the first information we got about that set, already made quite clear what we were going to get and what we are seeing now is pretty much what I expected. Though, I would have expected to get classic Space figures, so classic smile and tanks. On the other side that set fits pretty well to the two buyable sets from the extended line, so I actually should have expected to see the figures with other faces. 

All and all I like the GWP, but might however not get it. I don´t have a orange space-minifigure yet, but I think the threshold will very likely be 150€+ and while I surely still have sets I want to buy, I don´t really have the space and will very likely wait for another gwp.

I bought the Space City set “Interstellar Spaceship” in January and it sat around for months. Finally, I got oppournity to build it. 

I have to ay - I really like thi one. I am not into Star Wars and Star Trek and I don’t carare for licensed themes/sets (Star Wars, NaASAcrafts. This original in-house set got me into Spae stuff in ages. I only got into Space when I was a kid in early 2000s - mars Mission or Ice Planet or Alien Conquer (I’m not sure?). It is about 20 years now and this set ignited my interest in in-house sci-fi themes again!

i really like that the color scheme on this spacecraft - white, gray and blue. It’s not that terrible at all. It surprised when it does have a functionality - pressing a button to “start” engines to take off with my imagination. 

I think it makes sense why City has Space subthemes instead of its own theme. I mean, i don’t think there would be more Space City sets later this year,. Unless I’m wrong. 

Anyways, there is one thing I don’t like about it is that minifigure cannot sit upright in her pilot’s seat.  It’s kinda odd to see minifigure laying down in her seat while exploring galaxy.. 

4 hours ago, Lion King said:

i really like that the color scheme on this spacecraft - white, gray and blue. It’s not that terrible at all. It surprised when it does have a functionality - pressing a button to “start” engines to take off with my imagination.

I'm not too big on the color scheme. I'm honestly sick of the white and orange, or maybe white in general/ I prefer slugger renditions of the colors opting for a sand blue as the main color and trans neon orange.  But otherwise its a great set. The gimmick is easily the best part.

12 hours ago, PaleozoicBricks said:

I'm not too big on the color scheme. I'm honestly sick of the white and orange, or maybe white in general/ I prefer slugger renditions of the colors opting for a sand blue as the main color and trans neon orange.  But otherwise it’s a great set. The gimmick is easily the best part.

I think white color is prety suitable for spaceship as it’s more visible against vast blackness of the universe (even tho we had Blacktron). Just saying.  

On 4/19/2024 at 1:35 PM, jodawill said:

Man, I've got to be honest here. I think both of these sets with the classic space minifigures look terribly incongruous. It looks like a four year old was playing with a Creator set and borrowed some minifigures from her dad's Galaxy Explorer. (I'm speaking from personal experience here.

I'm glad the orange space minifigure is making another appearance, but I'm not going to spend an extra $200 or whatever the threshold is just to get a single minifigure. Hopefully the torso ends up on PAB.

It really does seem like they included an orange figure simply to get collectors to buy the set. You're spot on with you mentioning it looks like a cheap Creator set 

On 4/19/2024 at 1:11 PM, RichardGoring said:

If they're in a diner eating and drinking, they shouldn't need air tanks. And they will get in the way trying to sit down at the table, which is likely the real reason they aren't included.

They're eating and drinking THROUGH THEIR HELMETS?

And I would hope that in the space future, these intergalactic greasy spoons at least have the common courtesy of having the modern equivalent of a coat rack to hang your oxygen tank on. I'd hate to take my chances holding my breath on my way back to my ship after downing a Cassiopeia burger with quasar fries.

On 4/20/2024 at 12:27 AM, Artanis I said:

I don't need/want that set :sweet: (hooray!)

There is no inside.  It should be renamed the Alien Space Diner Floor.

1 hour ago, Digitalsound1 said:

There is no inside.  It should be renamed the Alien Space Diner Floor.

TBH I don't think classic space fans are in a place to complain about non-enclosed interiors, given how those sets' bases tended to be. :P

On 4/20/2024 at 12:27 AM, Artanis I said:

9 hours ago, Doddsino said:

They're eating and drinking THROUGH THEIR HELMETS?

No self-respecting classic space person world go to a cool diner and expose their helmet hair, so they have to stay on. :laugh:

8 hours ago, Lyichir said:

TBH I don't think classic space fans are in a place to complain about non-enclosed interiors, given how those sets' bases tended to be. :P

You're right.  As an adult collector, I'm more critical about the details of the sets.  There was still stuff missing in the original Classic Space sets.  I don't like a lot of Lego buildings because a lot of them don't have walls or a back.  A lot of two story buildings don't have staircases.  I was a huge fan of the 10497 Galaxy Explorer because of how detailed it was.  I'm now waiting for Lego to release something that has as much detail as this set.  I'm disappointed that we haven't yet had another Space reimagining set like the Galaxy Explorer or the Blacktron Cruiser this year.   

I love how detailed the 10497 Galaxy Explorer interior was too. But I'm not complaining with all of the old stuff either, as long as it's somewhat okay. Like an operating console or tile with buttons in the right place, and seating for the crew.
That's one beef I had especially with SP2. I felt interior was lacking big time, especially on the big ship (like why is that center section's computer on the floor of all places?).

On 4/21/2024 at 11:12 AM, Lion King said:

I think white color is prety suitable for spaceship as it’s more visible against vast blackness of the universe (even tho we had Blacktron). Just saying.  

The theme to me overall plays everything too safe. I much prefer the colors of 90s space going out their with the factions. When it come to space in all of science fiction I tend to have a similar philosophy like Jodorowsky wanted for his Dune project in the mid 70s. Go all out with the colors and design and get away from NASA punk styling. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 6:51 PM, Darth Phallus said:

Is it just me or are the helmets different on the sides? Maybe it's a print on the head that makes it look that way or the angle of the picture?

Edited by SpacePolice89

1 hour ago, SpacePolice89 said:

Is it just me or are the helmets different on the sides? Maybe it's a print on the head that makes it look that way or the angle of the picture?

Probably the angle.  Generally with GWP sets, Lego doesn't use new pieces exclusive to the sets.

So, my local LEGO Certified store got some new BAM minifigure parts in, including unique printed shoulder armour designed to go with the current City Space astronaut outfits and Futuron style torsos in coral. Which is a fascinating and exciting choice. 

44 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Futuron style torsos in coral.

Gonna need pics!

1 hour ago, Artanis I said:

Gonna need pics!

They’d only just gotten them in stock and wouldn’t let me buy them yet because they were still unpacking and I didn’t want to wait around until they were ready. Unfortunately, it only occurred to me that I should have taken a picture after the fact. I pass by that store every Tuesday for class, and I’m looking forward to going back next week and getting a couple.

The Rambling Brick has pictures!

The new shoulder armor looks particularly cool, even if I'm not sure I'd personally have use for it (since the new City astronauts already have pretty good color-coded neck accessories). The "Futuron-style torsos" might be a looser interpretation and looks like the new reddish orange rather than coral.

3 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

The Rambling Brick has pictures!

The new shoulder armor looks particularly cool, even if I'm not sure I'd personally have use for it (since the new City astronauts already have pretty good color-coded neck accessories). The "Futuron-style torsos" might be a looser interpretation and looks like the new reddish orange rather than coral.

Thanks for that link.  Yeah, the "Futuron inspired" look appears to be just a diagonal divide between orange and white on the torso.

Huh, some fun and funky new parts for sure! Very mix-and-match friendly! The shoulder armor piece complements the City torso prints really beautifully. Its white color means it could work nicely with any of the different City astronauts, though the use of a gold logo rather than a reddish orange one means it pairs especially well with the gold hands of the higher-ranking astronauts. I'm also curious how it'd look paired with the Admiral, who uses more gold and less white in his color scheme than the other astronauts.

I do feel like it's a bit of a shame that the new torso print simply has white and titanium metallic arms instead of a vivid contrasting color like the arms of the City spacesuits. But since the torso pattern is a general departure from the standard spacesuit design, having a different look for the arms as well is hardly a deal-breaker.

As I expected for BAM to have space-themed parts/minifigures, it’s a perfect timing!

I need these! The armour is amazing, and it not only matches all three of the main colours (plus the three darker “command” colours), but also serves as a great generic Space armour piece (something that I have been wanting for a while)! The alien head is really good (it reminds me of the Benzites), and the new torso looks excellent as well! 

6 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I do feel like it's a bit of a shame that the new torso print simply has white and titanium metallic arms instead of a vivid contrasting color like the arms of the City spacesuits. But since the torso pattern is a general departure from the standard spacesuit design, having a different look for the arms as well is hardly a deal-breaker.

I see the new torso as more of a jumpsuit worn in pressurised areas, than as a proper spacesuit. I plan to use it for scientists, control tower crew, space station personnel, etc. 

9 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I need these! The armour is amazing, and it not only matches all three of the main colours (plus the three darker “command” colours), but also serves as a great generic Space armour piece (something that I have been wanting for a while)! The alien head is really good (it reminds me of the Benzites), and the new torso looks excellent as well! 

I see the new torso as more of a jumpsuit worn in pressurised areas, than as a proper spacesuit. I plan to use it for scientists, control tower crew, space station personnel, etc. 

Very good thoughts. Maybe I will end up making a BAM purchase when these roll around. Interpreting the torso as a more "casual" jumpsuit does make it more appealing to me, and that armor really does look fantastic (even though I still feel like choosing between it and the existing backpack/armor pieces feels like a tough choice.

As an aside, the titanium metallic left arm isn't totally out of the ordinary since the construction team commander has a titanium metallic right arm, which I'd interpreted as possibly a prosthetic (since it didn't match the color scheme of the other two commanders). The titanium metallic on the Futuron-esque torso looks fine to me though what would really elevate that torso, in my opinion, would be if the right arm were reddish orange to match that side of the torso print. Unfortunately I think reddish orange still has yet to be used for fig parts aside from printing.