Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 25. Rumors and discussion

So, we are here; the 25th regular series. 

This will be the first regular series in boxes, and that will really put it through the wringer, so I hope they'll bring the house down with the characters/designs/accesories, etc

Also, this kind of is a milestone celebration series like Series 10 or Series 20 (although they really didnt bother with the later one)

Edited by Robert8

I'm hoping that S25 will be what convinces us that boxed CMF are actually "worth it." Marvel Series 2 easily could have been in bags, based on the number of accessories, but it's possible they had to be designed as if they would be a bagged series and the designs couldn't be changed. If we can get more accessories, some small builds, or maybe even two minifigs in one box, then I would feel more justified (though that's all wishful thinking - especially two-for-one minifigs).

Either way, after browsing this site anonymously for years, I'm excited to participate in my first guessing game, if another one of those opens up!

Series 24 gave us a Classic Spaceman in Brown and a Falconer. Two figures that can fit in with the Galaxy Explorer and Lion Knights Castle. My prediction is we’ll get a figure that can go with the Eldorado Fortress. Hoping it’s a sailor/trader, a modernized version of the ascot sailor/“Steve” to go with the trading ship that was included from the Imperial Trading Post.

7 hours ago, JohnTPT17 said:

I'm hoping that S25 will be what convinces us that boxed CMF are actually "worth it." Marvel Series 2 easily could have been in bags, based on the number of accessories

Agree

I wonder what kind of accesories will be included with these to justify the shift. Bigger animals would be interesting. 

7 hours ago, Retrocity said:

Series 24 gave us a Classic Spaceman in Brown and a Falconer. Two figures that can fit in with the Galaxy Explorer and Lion Knights Castle. My prediction is we’ll get a figure that can go with the Eldorado Fortress. Hoping it’s a sailor/trader, a modernized version of the ascot sailor/“Steve” to go with the trading ship that was included from the Imperial Trading Post.

Ascot Steve is actually a possibility (maybe with a recoloured brown tricorne with dark orange ponytail?). 

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Agree

I wonder what kind of accesories will be included with these to justify the shift. Bigger animals would be interesting. 

I think we got a large accessory - a BMX bike from Series 19. 

10 hours ago, JohnTPT17 said:

Either way, after browsing this site anonymously for years, I'm excited to participate in my first guessing game, if another one of those opens up!

@Itaria No Shintaku this is your Bat-signal

It’s finally that time for me to come out of hibernation and be an active member again! :laugh:
Good to be back 

I’m hoping they will use a new color for Series 25 after purple color for Series 24… Pink? Lavender? Burnt orange? Viridian? Cerulean? Neon green? Electric blue? I don’t need to see “nomral” or “metallic” colors again. 

I’d like to see red, black or white. And maybe have a small clear plastic window on the back so I can see what the figure is inside, I’d hate to crumble up all the boxes trying to feel the ones inside…..

10 hours ago, 1Panda said:

I’d like to see red, black or white. And maybe have a small clear plastic window on the back so I can see what the figure is inside, I’d hate to crumble up all the boxes trying to feel the ones inside…..

I like he tiny classic window idea!

On 8/2/2023 at 8:31 AM, JohnTPT17 said:

I'm hoping that S25 will be what convinces us that boxed CMF are actually "worth it." Marvel Series 2 easily could have been in bags, based on the number of accessories, but it's possible they had to be designed as if they would be a bagged series and the designs couldn't be changed. If we can get more accessories, some small builds, or maybe even two minifigs in one box, then I would feel more justified (though that's all wishful thinking - especially two-for-one minifigs).

Not trying to be off-topic or de-rail the conversation. But are boxes really going to be environmentally friendlier than the foil/ plastic packs?

The boxes (at least for the Marvel CMF) are heavily printed. How much more environmentally-friendly and sustainable is the whole process of packaging them? I'm guessing it takes up much more space as well - and takes up much more real estate during transport? Overall, how much more sustainable are all these factors vs the existing plastics?

I am all for environmentally-friendly packaging. But just because something is paper and not plastic, does not necessarily mean it takes less materials to produce, produce less waste, and makes less CO2 when accounting for transport. Perhaps it would have been better if Lego packaged them in "regular" paper with minimal printing, just like the new paper packaging inside the boxes for newer sets. I also do think this will make it easier for retailers and collectors to decipher the contents - light could just be shone on one side and you could read the contents like X-ray. (And perhaps that is why Lego insisted on boxes?)

On 8/2/2023 at 9:16 AM, Retrocity said:

That is a very good point! I would like a pirate-figure, sailor/ imperial soldier, and perhaps an islander.

On 8/2/2023 at 3:52 PM, Robert8 said:

Agree

There looks to be much more real estate inside those boxes than the bags. Lego should fill them up!

A soldier/ pirate shouldn't just come with a headgear, weapon and parrot... it better come with an actual cannon!!!

On 8/2/2023 at 7:06 PM, Robert8 said:

@Itaria No Shintaku this is your Bat-signal

Speaking of licensed figures...

In the past, Lego made some figures that somewhat referenced some (upcoming) licensed themes or sets. There was that Ocean King (Triton from Little Mermaid). There were also some Elves and a Dwarf perhaps referencing LOTR. And an outright reference to an in-house theme, Monkey Kid!

I wonder if they might do the same at some point??? Perhaps a...

Dwarf who lives in a cottage?

Prince looking for the sleeping princess?

Good Witch? (We haven't seen any Glinda yet).

King of Hearts?

A supervillain Conqueror that could not be featured on the Marvel CMF because his real life actor is facing controversy? (LOL)

A little person trying to find his way back to the Shire?

Plumber or video game character (Super Mario reboot/ Zelda).

I bet the set will have some figure that is space-themed! (Not another alien, please!)

Edited by hikouki

1 hour ago, hikouki said:

There looks to be much more real estate inside those boxes than the bags. Lego should fill them up!

A soldier/ pirate shouldn't just come with a headgear, weapon and parrot... it better come with an actual cannon!!!

I don´t see that happening. And also, I honestly hope they won´t. More space in the new boxes doesn´t mean there will be more content. And if they were planning to do so, that would also increase the price - for some Sidebuilds and stuff, where people are mostly interested in the minifigures and well accesoires, especially new pet moulds ;).

Don´t get me wrong, a pirate with a canon would be great. But not in blindboxes. Put a plate, a chest and a palm tree to the Pirate and his canon and you have a great little low price Set.

5 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

I don´t see that happening. And also, I honestly hope they won´t. More space in the new boxes doesn´t mean there will be more content.

I don’t think enough people here appreciate the fact that there might not actually be much more space in the boxes. 

For example:

-Can you fit a cannon in the new box? -Probably 

-Can you fit a cannon plus all the rest of the parts for a Minifigure in the new box? - err… maybe?

-Can a machine put a cannon and all the Minifigure parts in the box while consistently not having issues with things jamming in wrong and spilling out? - almost certainly not

We need to remember that the ‘empty space’ people are eyeing in the boxes is a least partially wiggle room to allow a margin of error so the packing process goes smoothly. The bags were never packed to capacity and 99% of the time the boxes for full sized sets aren’t either. So I’m genuinely confused why some people are assuming that the switch automatically means more accessories. 

13 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

-Can a machine put a cannon and all the Minifigure parts in the box while consistently not having issues with things jamming in wrong and spilling out? - almost certainly not

We need to remember that the ‘empty space’ people are eyeing in the boxes is a least partially wiggle room to allow a margin of error so the packing process goes smoothly. The bags were never packed to capacity and 99% of the time the boxes for full sized sets aren’t either. So I’m genuinely confused why some people are assuming that the switch automatically means more accessories. 

Agreed. People often complain about the empty space in the box, when opening it. But there is a big difference of how much space is actually left there when they are getting filled and when you open it - I mean they get transportet a long way and the bags inside will take less space through all the vibrations... 

I'm not expecting a ton of parts in the boxes - Just something that would be comparable to the size that Vidiyo had. Looking at two random Vidiyo sets on Bricklink, the weight of the Ice Cream Saxophonist and the Karaoke Mermaid were 25.6 and 27.4 grams, respectively. Meanwhile, the biggest CMF figures that I can think of (the Centaur Warrior and the Mountain Biker) weigh 17.8 and 14.3 grams, respectively. So, I do think that there would be room to add in a few more pieces, or at the very least a few larger accessories.

(By the way, a cannon weighs 4 grams according to Bricklink, so, in theory, there would be room for one - I don't think one would go in there, though, due to the size - volume is also a part of the equation. Then again, that's what we said about centaur legs for the longest time...)

17 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

I don’t think enough people here appreciate the fact that there might not actually be much more space in the boxes. 

For example:

-Can you fit a cannon in the new box? -Probably 

-Can you fit a cannon plus all the rest of the parts for a Minifigure in the new box? - err… maybe?

3 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Agreed. People often complain about the empty space in the box, when opening it. But there is a big difference of how much space is actually left there when they are getting filled and when you open it - I mean they get transportet a long way and the bags inside will take less space through all the vibrations... 

7 minutes ago, JohnTPT17 said:

I'm not expecting a ton of parts in the boxes - Just something that would be comparable to the size that Vidiyo had. Looking at two random Vidiyo sets on Bricklink, the weight of the Ice Cream Saxophonist and the Karaoke Mermaid were 25.6 and 27.4 grams, respectively. Meanwhile, the biggest CMF figures that I can think of (the Centaur Warrior and the Mountain Biker) weigh 17.8 and 14.3 grams, respectively. So, I do think that there would be room to add in a few more pieces, or at the very least a few larger accessories.

(By the way, a cannon weighs 4 grams according to Bricklink, so, in theory, there would be room for one - I don't think one would go in there, though, due to the size - volume is also a part of the equation. Then again, that's what we said about centaur legs for the longest time...)

How big are the interior dimensions of these boxes and will it end up being a limiting factor in the size/ dimensions of a part they could place inside? Some really bulky parts I could think of are the shark head costume, Ursula tentacles.

6 hours ago, hikouki said:

How big are the interior dimensions of these boxes and will it end up being a limiting factor in the size/ dimensions of a part they could place inside? Some really bulky parts I could think of are the shark head costume, Ursula tentacles.

Hades’ smoky robe

Vintage Mickey’s ship wheel 

Captian Hook’s pirate hat+hair

Firewor costume guy

Canyon costume girl 

many food costume people (corn on cog, hotdog, pizza, etc…)

On 8/5/2023 at 8:11 PM, hikouki said:

Not trying to be off-topic or de-rail the conversation. But are boxes really going to be environmentally friendlier than the foil/ plastic packs?

The boxes (at least for the Marvel CMF) are heavily printed. How much more environmentally-friendly and sustainable is the whole process of packaging them? I'm guessing it takes up much more space as well - and takes up much more real estate during transport? Overall, how much more sustainable are all these factors vs the existing plastics?

I am all for environmentally-friendly packaging. But just because something is paper and not plastic, does not necessarily mean it takes less materials to produce, produce less waste, and makes less CO2 when accounting for transport. Perhaps it would have been better if Lego packaged them in "regular" paper with minimal printing, just like the new paper packaging inside the boxes for newer sets. I also do think this will make it easier for retailers and collectors to decipher the contents - light could just be shone on one side and you could read the contents like X-ray. (And perhaps that is why Lego insisted on boxes?)

In a German fan forum someone did the statistics on that a while ago. Classic green-washing by Lego.

The same week I read some Lego manager´s statement about switching to dissolving plastic so bricks wont stay in the sea (if they do, the true reason will be to thin out the secondary market, because children won´t be able to play with their grandparents lego anymore) I got TLM2-Cmfs with for the first time an extra plastic bag inside. There is exactly one point that makes them use boxes: Stop people feeling for the figures they want.

I hope to get Storm´s cool hairpiece somewhere.

Edited by Gorilla94

On 8/7/2023 at 9:41 AM, Gorilla94 said:

The same week I read some Lego manager´s statement about switching to dissolving plastic so bricks wont stay in the sea 

Source?? LEGO has been working on making bricks out of recycled plastic and cutting down on single-use plastic packaging, but I cannot find anything about moving to dissolvable/biodegradable pieces. Without citing such a claim, it seems like just baseless fear-mongering. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

19 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Source?? LEGO has been working on making bricks out of recycled plastic and cutting down on single-use plastic packaging, but I cannot find anything about moving to dissolvable/biodegradable pieces. Without citing such a claim, it seems like just baseless fear-mongering. 

It was 4(?) years ago... I am sorry, that I don´t archive every article I read on my mobile in the subway... ^^´ I just read this statement and was astonished about the hypocracy when seeing the second bag a few hours later, which showes, that Lego just doens´t care at all about the subject. That´s why I still remember. It is like the stupid statement that stickers are used, because kids love to apply them... Sure... in a 350€ Ghostbusters HQ... while 4+ Sets are printed. Sometimes PR talk is just so stupid I can´t forget it. I doubt Lego will make dissolving bricks. Every normal person would be switching to Chinese bricks or stop buying at all in that case.

i just got Shivel figure from DreamZzz and I’m very pleased with the big minifigure head. I would be delighted to see something new in Series 25 like this head. Like…a rookie wizard with an oversized head, lol.  No beard mold needed for an unfortunate wizard. 

I hope series 25 sucks and I hope TLG chokes on this BS blind box packaging.

If there are no codes on the box, I’m done with the CMF line. 

On 8/9/2023 at 2:05 PM, Lion King said:

i just got Shivel figure from DreamZzz and I’m very pleased with the big minifigure head. I would be delighted to see something new in Series 25 like this head. Like…a rookie wizard with an oversized head, lol.  No beard mold needed for an unfortunate wizard. 

That part is not new - It has been used for Thanos (twice!) and has appeared in the Lunar New Year parade.