zinnn

[MOC] The Skull Island - Remake of 70411: Treasure Island

I'm happy to finally be able to share with you my first proper MOC - The Skull Island.

Since the purchase of the Pirates of Barracuda Bay (21322), I've been wanting to expand it with something that would capture its style and atmosphere. After coming across 70411: Treasure Island, I realised that I love this set’s concept, but I felt its appearance was too simplistic. So I decided to draw inspiration from it and reimagine it within the POBB universe.

*Studio limits didn't let me create the minifigs I wanted, so had to go with fairly generic crew for the renders below. I actually built this set at home, so will share some photos of it in real life in the next few days.

1) The set comes with 4 minifigures (3 pirates and 1 soldier), 1 skeleton, 3 seagulls, 4 bats, 1 crab and 1 spider.

2) It includes a couple play features: a working, movable skull-gate and a secret spot to hide your loot under the jetty.

3) The roof of the cave can be removed for easier access to the inside of the cave.

4) The set has 615 pieces (without the minifigs).

box-front

box-back

Scene1

Scene1-2

Scene2

Scene3

Scene4

Scene5

Cave-inside

Cave-left

Cave-right

Modular

Sideview1

Sideview2

Edited by zinnn

Finally, a really good skull island!

Theme

Well, you didn't make it easy for yourself with a build centered on an age-old staple of pirates...but you delivered! The skull is well integrated into the background. I'll say right away that the forehead looks a bit weird to me (the way those two upper curves go down) and I think it should be straighter. There's quite a bit to like : hidden treasure, rocky ramparts, an opening skull, it's near perfection...but you didn't include a cannon. There's a lot of space on this island, slap a cannon on it! Any cannon will do!

Build

The rockwork is good, though a little too smooth for an official set, I think. The foliage is a good contrast to the skull, but I'd add a coconut (a tan head piece) on those trees. The sand is really good, especially as I hardly noticed the whole thing is basically a circle, I especially like how you smoothed the steps caused by slopes with small 1x1 corners. I like all the little details (that rampart is solidly integrated!) except for the little bridge ; it appears fragile, and I'd try to add a few plates and bricks under for stability, since it seems too focused on display and wouldn't work well with kids putting stuff on it. 

Finally, that ladder is great, original enough, and fitting for this build (I'm suffering from critic's fatigue and am sick of the regular ladder, even if I always push for it).

Sorry for the novel- good builds are inspiring!

When this little fun contest ends, if I get time to get around to it, I would like to see this blogged on the Classic-Pirates.com... yeah, it is that good!  :pir-triumph:

Outstanding build @zinnn :pir-thumb:

9 hours ago, Horation said:

There's a lot of space on this island, slap a cannon on it! Any cannon will do! 

Cannon and croc are the two things I decided to skip in this build (from the original 70411). My idea is that this skull island is not a place where the pirates would reside permanently, install a cannon and defend their loot there. It's more like a hiding spot - a place where you come to bury the treasure for the dark hour and leave. That's why I decided to stash a musket and a cutlas there instead, and leave the cannon out. Hopefully the skull shape of the island will deter any potential visitors that pass by ;)

When I take photos of the real thing (it's sitting on my desk now, just needs a couple more pieces, waiting for a Bricklink order), I will add a cannon for comparison if you'd like. But tbh if I had to add something to this set, it'd be a small fireplace.

9 hours ago, Horation said:

the little bridge ; it appears fragile, and I'd try to add a few plates and bricks under for stability, since it seems too focused on display and wouldn't work well with kids putting stuff on it.

It may surprise you but I did a fair bit of testing of that bridge/jetty - you can carry the whole set around without supporting the jetty and the small side-island - it won't detach itself, unless you really REALLY try. Also placing a minifig on the jetty is safe - again, tried and tested.

9 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

Outstanding build @zinnn :pir-thumb:

Thank you!

I submitted it as a contest entry, but after re-reading the rules now changed it to regular MOC thread, as I started planning and drafting some elements of this set end of last year, so I guess it’s not eligible. But the contest finally made me sit down and put this idea together.

Edited by zinnn

9 hours ago, zinnn said:

I submitted it as a contest entry, but after re-reading the rules now changed it to regular MOC thread, as I started planning and drafting some elements of this set end of last year, so I guess it’s not eligible.

Your good conscious is worthy of the highest praise, and it shall be rewarded with a blog-post in the near time future.

Are you planning to make the instructions available on ReBrickable? I think you should. And if you never tried that (making the instructions), it's easier than you think, especially for a build with less than 1000k pieces. :pir-thumb:

3 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

Are you planning to make the instructions available on ReBrickable? I think you should. And if you never tried that (making the instructions), it's easier than you think, especially for a build with less than 1000k pieces. :pir-thumb:

Yes, instructions are on their way - the set contains only existing pieces which should be easily available.

Edited by zinnn

10 hours ago, zinnn said:

Cannon and croc are the two things I decided to skip in this build (from the original 70411). 

Well, fair enough I guess, it's a shame that it's ineligible, because it's a thoughtful remake (my favourite to date!), I do commend your honesty-god knows how many builders would lie about such a thing.

Wonderful set with some nice play features! The skull and jetty look great and i love the box art.

Only the blue boat... :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Yperio_Bricks

How did you make that background - the sea, night sky? You found image on web... or photoshop layer after layer?

5 minutes ago, Marooned Marin said:

How did you make that background - the sea, night sky? You found image on web... or photoshop layer after layer? 

Photoshop, multiple images edited and merged into one.

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

That's obviously a nod to 70411 ;D

35 minutes ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

tag-frontpaged-2019.png

Congratulations :pir-huzzah2:

Thank you! :pir-triumph:

Btw here's a render of how the island looks like next to the Barracuda Bay, to give you an idea of its size (real photo coming soon, need to re-build my POBB):

Pirates-of-Barracuda-Bay_2

1 minute ago, zinnn said:

Btw here's a render of how the island looks like next to the Barracuda Bay, to give you an idea of its size (real photo coming soon, need to re-build my POBB):

Perfect :wub:

What's wrong with the blue boat :pir_laugh2:

Also - now I have it next to the POBB, maybe I will add coconuts to those trees in the end. When designing it I was cautious not to go overboard with the piece count...

Edited by zinnn

3 minutes ago, zinnn said:

What's wrong with the blue boat :pir_laugh2:

It does not look good imo. In the beautiful picture of Barracuda Bay and Skull Island the blue boat really looks out of place.

12 hours ago, zinnn said:

Yes, instructions are on their way - the set contains only existing pieces which should be easily available.

Best post in the entire topic, apart from the pics of the fantastic build itself :pir-laugh: Bring it on, m8 :pir-triumph: 

1 hour ago, zinnn said:

Btw here's a render of how the island looks like next to the Barracuda Bay, to give you an idea of its size (real photo coming soon, need to re-build my POBB)

INSANELY fine, lad :pir-love: I can already invision my "Barracuda Shipyard" diorama being expanded with your take on the Skull Island :pir-stareyes: Eagerly waiting for the live pics :pir-wink:

Ah, so we finally see yer MOC skills on display, and a fine MOC it is indeed! :pir-huzzah2: Love the skull, the rock formation and especially that creative ladder. Yer first entry on this forum is outstanding. Love it! :pir-thumb:

Now, all it is missing is a pirate pub. :pir-devil:

You have a skull island and there's no monkey present?! :pir-sweet:

In all seriousness, I really like that dock, especially with the hidden treasure spot. Really cool.

What a neat remake! I love the furrowed "brow" you've given the skull... makes it look much more foreboding.

Guys and gals (and @Yperio_Bricks in particular) - I've just realised I made a mistake and the soldier's boat shouldn't be blue. The original colour of 70411's boat is Dark Blue :pir-oh3: Don't know how I missed that. I'm exporting new images right now with that variant, but may also create images with red and brown variants. I actually really like how the Blue boat stood out, the Dark Blue is not as bold.

20 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very nice island and amazing details :pir-wub:

The hideout in the pontoon to hide the gems is brilliant :pir-triumph:

Thank you!

19 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

<chef kiss> Very well done and nice play elements

Appreciate your kind words :)

18 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Ah, so we finally see yer MOC skills on display, and a fine MOC it is indeed! :pir-huzzah2: Love the skull, the rock formation and especially that creative ladder. Yer first entry on this forum is outstanding. Love it! :pir-thumb:

Now, all it is missing is a pirate pub. :pir-devil:

My next MOC idea is to further expand the POBB universe - since they're crashed on an island, I want to focus on this remote habitat. I'm actually considering creating an Islander set, to go with the totem that's buried in the sand... Since the release of the Island Warrior minifig in the CMF series 11, I've been craving to create something for him.

11 hours ago, Doddsino said:

You have a skull island and there's no monkey present?! :pir-sweet:

In all seriousness, I really like that dock, especially with the hidden treasure spot. Really cool. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

What a neat remake! I love the furrowed "brow" you've given the skull... makes it look much more foreboding.

I think I've spent hours trying to nail that skull, to make it look less goofy (like in Lego sets) and more menacing-looking. I'm really pleased how it looks now :) Many thanks!

Edited by zinnn

One of my favorite entries by far, I love all the details and play features you added, beautiful presentation as well!

4 minutes ago, _R_R_ said:

One of my favorite entries by far, I love all the details and play features you added, beautiful presentation as well!

Thank you so much! Unfortunately I had too pull this from the contest because I started drafting this build before this competition was announced. I don't want to unfairly compete with others who are building their entries since it launched.

1 hour ago, zinnn said:

I'm actually considering creating an Islander set, to go with the totem that's buried in the sand

Aye, that be a good idea indeed. I shall eagerly await the final product. :pir-thumb: