RedBrick1

LEGO #21344 - Orient Express

As the Orientation Express is a train service, not a locomotive, and it's run for a long time, in multiple countries:

I wonder if the version of the Orient Express used will be like the one in the new Mission Impossible film trailers? Filming was done a few years ago, and there was a train crash filmed in a quarry that was quite public, so TLG would have known about it when selecting the ideas sets. 

The word is "trains don't sell well unless their is a tie in" e.g Harry Potter, so just a thought. It wouldn't be a listened tie-in but a chance to release a train while their is one in the public's eye? 

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t45484-Orient-express--NSB-Di3--Nohab--and-BR-Standard-Class-7--in-Andalsnes-Norway

Edited by samsz_3

11 minutes ago, samsz_3 said:

wonder if the version of the Orient Express used will be like the one in the new Mission Impossible film trailers?

Why should it? The "Mission Impossible" locomotive is fantasy based on a BR Standard Class 7 and has nothing to do with the Orient Express.

https://www.johnfinneyphotography.com/mission-impossible-7

Edited by Sven J

3 hours ago, Sven J said:

Why should it? The "Mission Impossible" locomotive is fantasy based on a BR Standard Class 7 and has nothing to do with the Orient Express.

https://www.johnfinneyphotography.com/mission-impossible-7

Creative licence, if you expect authenticity from filmmakers then you'll be waiting a while. It's still a representation of a train from Venice to Innsbruck using CIWL coaches.

16 hours ago, Shiva said:

Sven J, the pinhole placement is something I too, dislike.

OMG, I didn't even notice that... :wall:

2 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

@zephyr1934 , are you planning to offer tailor -made rods for the TLG OE locomotive?

Of course I am (assuming Lego doesn't do something really strange). But as always, I can make up whatever unusual hole arrangement and spacing is needed for stock sets, MODs and MOCs on an as needed basis.

zephyr1934, I bought 6x of those train wheels earlier this year. I wanted a close look. #15 wheels. Atleast according to my calculations.

In 1:38  scale, they could have been perfekt for a SJ F, steam locomotive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SJ_F_(steam_locomotive)

BR Standard Class 7, it has the same drive wheel size as SJ F.

Tailor made rods?! I might need those, if I ever get to actually build a steam locomotive or 2.

On 7/13/2023 at 4:28 PM, Shiva said:

Tailor made rods?! I might need those, if I ever get to actually build a steam locomotive or 2.

Sure thing, I've made rods over 30 studs long before and the holes can go wherever you want them (most folks go with half stud offsets). Price is based on length. Custom parts do need to wait for my next fab, so allow for over four weeks for custom arrangements. Just use the "contact us" link on trainedbricks.com

zephyr1934, hopefully I'll get that far, someday in the future.

21344, seems to be the correct item number for the Orient Express. 21334, is the Jazz Quartet.

14 hours ago, RedBrick1 said:

Thoughts on when we should see the first pics of this? Sometime in September?

I'd say, not later than November 1st 😁

9 minutes ago, Selander said:

I'd say, not later than November 1st 😁

Your prediction should prove to be spot on! LOL

I've put a link to this at the top of the LEGO Trains 2023 discussion thread.  Just quickly though - isn't this rumoured number 21344, not 21334?  21334 was the Jazz Quartet last year...

3 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I've put a link to this at the top of the LEGO Trains 2023 discussion thread.  Just quickly though - isn't this rumoured number 21344, not 21334?  21334 was the Jazz Quartet last year...

Correct. It should be 21344 in the topic headline...mistake by original author.

1 hour ago, Selander said:

Correct. It should be 21344 in the topic headline...mistake by original author.

Good catch. Changed.

4 hours ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

I'm surprised we haven't seen any news update or leaks on the Orient Express.

The only LEGO set I'm looking forward to this year haha. 

Perhaps November, December only

On 8/15/2023 at 9:30 PM, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

I'm surprised we haven't seen any news update or leaks on the Orient Express.

The only LEGO set I'm looking forward to this year haha. 

We have to be getting close. If the November 1st release is true, possibly next month? 

41 minutes ago, Mondo-TRON said:

Normally how many weeks/months does the Lego company release official images before set release?

For regular retail sets, it can sometimes be a few months in advance—but for a direct-to-consumer release like Ideas sets, it's usually not more than a month ahead of release.

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

For regular retail sets, it can sometimes be a few months in advance—but for a direct-to-consumer release like Ideas sets, it's usually not more than a month ahead of release.

So probably October for offical images of the  OE set.

30 minutes ago, Mondo-TRON said:

So probably October for offical images of the  OE set.

Not going to lie.. I got excited when I saw someone replied to the thread.. hoping it was the first images or leaks. 

:laugh_hard:

3 hours ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Not going to lie.. I got excited when I saw someone replied to the thread.. hoping it was the first images or leaks. 

It was the same for me. I was like "yeah there is something new for the Orient Express"

17 hours ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

I got impatient. Asked so I could get an idea when anything might show up.

22 hours ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Same. I really want to know if I need to budget for this thing or not. I wouldn't buy the original design. However, with certain tweaks... maybe.