MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

19 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

First off, this "it's made for kids so it doesn't have to be accurate" discussion is just false. I was a kid, I work with kids, friends of mine have kids, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that a common thing kids do is gain an insane amount of knowledge and detail on a random fictional franchise. Kids can tell that it looks weirdly boxy. Now, is the set terrible? No. Is it immune to criticism because it's not UCS? Of course not, that's absurd.

Seconding this.

Look, it's not a terrible set, just substandard for something a lot of people were calling for for some time. I like that they went for the red color scheme. Though I would have preferred more figs, if the design was better, I might have gotten it. As is, I'm gonna need to see higher-quality images, and even if it looks better in them the best I'd do is wait for a sale.

Never said it doesn’t have to be accurate, just that accuracy is secondary to play functionality and fun factor. Also price. But ultimately, if this were truly an issue that most kids cared about the sets wouldn’t be selling. And they are, which means most kids don’t care enough. Contrast that with atrociously inaccurate and poorly priced sets like the hulkbuster for adults, which received massive discounts and pushback due to inaccuracies, because the target demographic is far more likely to care about such things. 

16 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Never said it doesn’t have to be accurate, just that accuracy is secondary to play functionality and fun factor. Also price. But ultimately, if this were truly an issue that most kids cared about the sets wouldn’t be selling. And they are, which means most kids don’t care enough. Contrast that with atrociously inaccurate and poorly priced sets like the hulkbuster for adults, which received massive discounts and pushback due to inaccuracies, because the target demographic is far more likely to care about such things. 

The sets are generally fairly accurate (again see AAT) which is also why they also sell, they're not just about functionality, that's fundamentally untrue. Kids also like the looks of things, saying the opposite is completely dismissing that aspect of what kids like. Regardless, it's completely unnecessary to condescendingly tell ppl to stop complaining because it's a kids' toy, like...let ppl be.

Gunship looks... Interesting I guess. I really hope the republic crest is a print and not a sticker. Color kinda bugs me cause I don't think bright red is accurate, but won't affect if I get the set or not as much as the print/sticker is.

Commander Fox looks ugly and has an ugly helmet, not sure if it will look better with the visor. Torso and knee armor also look innacurate. Don't really care about the lack of waist cape or helmet holes personally.

Definitely need better pictures for everything to make the final decision. 

Beginning of the next week is my guess for the official reveal.

Hopefully Ahsoka leaks start picking up, that's the totality of my interest in this year's line at this point (aside from Venator)

35 minutes ago, Old Master said:

Hopefully Ahsoka leaks start picking up, that's the totality of my interest in this year's line at this point (aside from Venator)

Yeah Ashoka sets is what I’ve been looking forward to the most. Can’t wait to get a Ghost after missing out all those years ago. Did I hear wrong or was it confirmed Quarrie would be in the ghost set?

Edited by Legodude123

45 minutes ago, Old Master said:

Hopefully!!!! Im loving the colour scheme of the gunship so I feel like the T-6 will still be my fave set of the year..but that still remains to be seen. Hope we see something in the next week, it's been so longgggg

27 minutes ago, Legodude123 said:

Yeah Ashoka sets is what I’ve been looking forward to the most. Can’t wait to get a Ghost after missing out all those years ago. Did I hear wrong or was it confirmed Quarrie would be in the ghost set?

It was at first thought to be Quarrie, though nothing was confirmed. I posted it a few days ago, but I think the figures thought to be Quarrie as well as the dark skinned male could definitely be the two people with Hera at 1:10 in this trailer.

53 minutes ago, Old Master said:

It was at first thought to be Quarrie, though nothing was confirmed. I posted it a few days ago, but I think the figures thought to be Quarrie as well as the dark skinned male could definitely be the two people with Hera at 1:10 in this trailer.

Ah well that’s slightly disappointing. As long as the ghost looks great I’m happy. You would think it would be easy to distinguish from quarrie and the guy from the trailer. Then again I don’t know much about the world of leaks lol.

1 hour ago, Legodude123 said:

Ah well that’s slightly disappointing. As long as the ghost looks great I’m happy. You would think it would be easy to distinguish from quarrie and the guy from the trailer. Then again I don’t know much about the world of leaks lol.

I think when these particular sets leaked a few were up in the air. The leakers first thought Fox was Thorn and that Palpatine was maybe Clovis. Who knows. 

But yeah, I'm usually way more minifig focused but I really just want to get my hands on the Ghost as a ship. It's bound to be a huge update from the 2014 one since that was based on concept art and the new one will have about 400 more pieces. 

Edited by Old Master
spell check :p

7 hours ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

The sets are generally fairly accurate (again see AAT) which is also why they also sell, they're not just about functionality, that's fundamentally untrue. Kids also like the looks of things, saying the opposite is completely dismissing that aspect of what kids like. Regardless, it's completely unnecessary to condescendingly tell ppl to stop complaining because it's a kids' toy, like...let ppl be.

Ironic you bring up the AAT, that was near universally criticized for looking nothing like the source material 

Has there been anything swirling around regarding Jabba's Palace diorama for next year still or is that rumor kinda dead these days? Was that "leak" a few weeks ago even real?

I'm still hype for the Ghost and Venator, but Jabba's was definitely the set I was looking forward to the most. 

Edited by Old Master

10 hours ago, Old Master said:

Has there been anything swirling around regarding Jabba's Palace diorama for next year still or is that rumor kinda dead these days? Was that "leak" a few weeks ago even real?

I'm still hype for the Ghost and Venator, but Jabba's was definitely the set I was looking forward to the most. 

Jabba's palace was competing with the Emperor's throne room for a spot so it's either cancelled or pushed back. Lifebricks also said it didn't have the same features that made the 2012 "controversial" so we can assume it didn't get removed cause of it. 

As for 74354, does the set contain one pilot and one regular trooper or two pilots? I find it hard to recognize.

25 minutes ago, Brickadeer said:

As for 74354, does the set contain one pilot and one regular trooper or two pilots? I find it hard to recognize.

I believe you mean 75354 as in the Gunship?

They have been rumored and appear to be just two standard Shock Troopers that will have to double as pilots for the sake of the set. 

I think if the leaked pictures aren't fake, that's wrong, since in this case at least one of them is a pilot, pretty much like the one from 75004, but with a red-white colour-scheme.

1 minute ago, Brickadeer said:

I think if the leaked pictures aren't fake, that's wrong, since in this case at least one of them is a pilot, pretty much like the one from 75004, but with a red-white colour-scheme.

I can't say I agree, if you watched the Mandalorian S3 episode that had the gunship in it, they had standard Shock Troopers flying it. 

The two figures appear to be identical.

Commander Fox looks accurate enough, but I don't like his design in general so I'll probably skip on the set in its entirety and hope to get a few generic Shock Troopers and maybe Palpatine and Padme for a decent price, separately.
I'm happy for those hoping to get a Commander Fox, though :sweet: (provided those people are satisfied with it :tongue: )

Regards,
Mitch

My only problems with Commander Fox are the lack of a proper kama and the really poor white print quality. It's utterly inexcusable how awful their print quality is when it comes to color matching. I will always point out how bad this kind of thing is because fixing it is incredibly simple and will hardly cost them anything. It looks bad and makes them look utterly incompetent and greedy when the print quality of light colors on dark plastic is this atrocious and has been for years. It wasn't always this way so something changed along the way. Maybe they though it saved them $0.0001 per figure or something.

Edited by ToaDraco

3 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

My only problems with Commander Fox are the lack of a proper kama and the really poor white print quality. It's utterly inexcusable how awful their print quality is when it comes to color matching. I will always point out how bad this kind of thing is because fixing it is incredibly simple and will hardly cost them anything. It looks bad and makes them look utterly incompetent and greedy when the print quality of light colors on dark plastic is this atrocious and has been for years. It wasn't always this way so something changed along the way. Maybe they though it saved them $0.0001 per figure or something.

Yeah the figure just kinda suffers on all plains. Kama is a semi easy fix since you can add your own to cover the print, but the rest of the print is what it is :|

It's funny how they could actually save on white paint and do only the separate chest plates in white, and yet not only do they waste the paint, but they also made the figure inaccurate since the middle portion of the torso should be red as well.

First thoughts seeing the box art was that the set looks incredibly boxy, but then after seeing the alternate image with the white background the proportions do look a lot better. Still feels like a missed opportunity not remaking the classic white version.

I'm probably going to skip on this one and focus on the three Ahsoka sets instead.

14 hours ago, Brickadeer said:

I'm fairly certain that the leaked images show that were just getting Fox and two regular shock troopers as far as clones go.

12 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

I think I've gotten over the issues of the printed kamas and white-printing-on-darker-colours looking bad, but the main issues with this figure in particular are definitely the blatant inexcusable design errors on the torso and leg prints (i.e. white middle section and white kneepads, all should be red).

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

@Lego_Minecraft_Goat posted a teaser in his IG story, showing the phantom mob from Minecraft. This is either a Minecraft 2024 teaser, or maybe he’s hinting at a certain ship of the same name :laugh:

I thought multiple times now this guy has been labeled a phony.

But in all seriousness, for a 400 piece buff on the Ghost, I think we are all expecting the Phantom.

I can only really see this as hinting at the Phantom ship tho, they already exist within the MC theme so I don't know what it would be building up there.