MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

31 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Has anyone found the Fang vs TIE anywhere out there in the wild???

I already have one.  Got it at a local toy store that is going out of business :(  (going to really miss them.  Only place in town that reliably has a selection of LEGO.)   Picked up that set plus both dioramas there as well.  All of the sets were discounted 25% which made it even better.  

1 hour ago, MSY-MSP said:

I already have one.  Got it at a local toy store that is going out of business :(  (going to really miss them.  Only place in town that reliably has a selection of LEGO.)   Picked up that set plus both dioramas there as well.  All of the sets were discounted 25% which made it even better.  

Is the tie fighter windscreen dish a different print from the previous ones?

3 hours ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Has anyone found the Fang vs TIE anywhere out there in the wild???

I found them in my local Target but they wouldn't sell them to me cause they were street dated. It's the 3rd set I've found on shelves that's street-dated at this specific target. It is pissing me off cause I've seen vids online of people buying sets early across the country and not being stopped which leads me to believe my Target's just being an opp. 

5 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Lol Disney really cracking down on the retailers for this set eh? There's nothing spoiler-y about it.....at all.

Street-dating isn’t really Disney cracking down on anything. It’s the same as any Lego set that’s ever released, it just comes down on the retailers as to whether they enforce it or not.

That GWP looks good for its size but it's not exactly desirable. I think that's actually good, that whole trend of making very neat little sets as GWPs and thus locking them behind high paywalls had become a bit frustrating.

GWP isn't a deal-breaker for me - I'd be buying enough on 5/4 with the 2x VIP points promotion to get the bonuses anyways. Of the three, the Death Star II is my favorite. It'll look nice next to the Nebulon B and othe scaled down sets. I'm really intrigued by the $85 card thing... I think I'll need to see it in person or see an actual review to make up my mind. Either way I'll get it, just not sure what to make of it yet.

1 hour ago, Big_Daddy said:

That GWP looks good for its size but it's not exactly desirable. I think that's actually good, that whole trend of making very neat little sets as GWPs and thus locking them behind high paywalls had become a bit frustrating.

That's... actually a good point. One of my biggest issues with LEGO recently is that a lot of recent GWPs (Ray the Castaway, Hogwarts Staircase, Blacktron Invader) are significantly better than sets you can actually buy at that same size. While I think something like Beru's kitchen is the ideal GWP (cool enough to be enticing and a great bonus, but not really desirable as it's own set or something to regret missing out on), I'd honestly rather a neat-but-underwhelming desk piece like the Death Star II over something like the Blacktron Invader that by all accounts should be a standard retail set.

(In other words, if a GWP is good enough to sell on it's own, they should do exactly that.)

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

On 4/10/2023 at 9:25 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

I mean, we're getting 3 ROTJ anniversary sets (2 dioramas and the midi-scale one). Beats out the anniversaries of pretty much any other movie in recent times. CW03 got the same number of sets, but based on the era, not the show itself. ESB got the AT-AT and some convention exclusives, and AOTC got nothing (though I'd hazard a guess the AT-TE was meant to be one before being changed to a ROTS set to fit cody).

Well, have lego even announced every decennium past after one movie that it even should be worth celebrating. There are so much SW related material out there that I personally think they should only celebrate the most epic content that turns 50.

2 hours ago, Big_Daddy said:

That is fair, although May the 4th is the only time I buy Lego Star Wars, so I do wish there was at least a minifigure as a promo. Maybe a fig that’s not necessarily desirable, but unlikely to come in a Lego set. Like Sio Bibble or someone like that. 

1 hour ago, Sneakguest said:

Well, have lego even announced every decennium past after one movie that it even should be worth celebrating. There are so much SW related material out there that I personally think they should only celebrate the most epic content that turns 50.

That means you’re celebrating only three anniversaries in the next 26 years. Which Disney just isn’t going to do, because the anniversaries are money makers.

Lmao every M&R buyer's guide is the same nowadays:

"This pocket-money set is insanely overpriced, but all the really expensive ones are absolute must-buys! Don't forget to use my affiliate link when you drop that next car payment on Lego, so I can pay off my new house! 😎"

1 minute ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Lol would the Justifier even do well post-retirement?

Cad Bane may be worth more than the entire ship and minifigures if he isn't included in a new set soon. 

I am so excited for Ahsoka's T-6 shuttle, the one from 2011 looked like a solid build for the time and the new one appears to have over double the piece count (My pieces have doubled since the last time we met, count). Based on the model they developed for season 2 of mando (it showed up at celebration last year), it appears they have yt-ified the T-6 quite a bit, falcon cone cockpit and the classic OT angled hull to greebled pastrami sandwich look. I hope the lego set reflects that redesign. I am curious if all three minifigs will be able to fit in the ship.

This feels like it could be my favorite set, great price, all great minifigs and no unnecessary speeder bikes to spike the price. I love the color scheme of the model, we will see.

The ghost is too expensive for me up front but I really hope it turns out great.

I wonder what the other ahsoka set will be, I was hoping for a villain ship, kinda confused at the idea of another hero ship.

Edited by Alex_South

32 minutes ago, Alex_South said:

This feels like it could be my favorite set, great price, all great minifigs and no unnecessary speeder bikes to spike the price. I love the color scheme of the model, we will see.

Yeah same here, it's my most anticipated set of the year

3 hours ago, SketchBrick said:

Lmao every M&R buyer's guide is the same nowadays:

"This pocket-money set is insanely overpriced, but all the really expensive ones are absolute must-buys! Don't forget to use my affiliate link when you drop that next car payment on Lego, so I can pay off my new house! 😎"

I mean he's not wrong and the affiliate links r a given for yters. The dioramas are at least $10-25 overpriced even though they all look pretty great and uber-expensive sets being the best sets is true and kinda sad cause it feels like Lego does know how to make a set really worth it but just doesn't care to do so for sets under $150. 

Edited by kidtheboss611

2 hours ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Yeah same here, it's my most anticipated set of the year

I still can't believe it is going to be in the 70-80 dollar range, I really hope the build and minifigures are solid. I wonder if they will give Huyang his backpack, and if they will do a molded head or something else.

5 hours ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Lol would the Justifier even do well post-retirement?

Depends on if the minifigures are reproduced elsewhere. The rumour about Omega being the calendar will significantly reduce value if true.

9 minutes ago, Csaba said:

Depends on if the minifigures are reproduced elsewhere. The rumour about Omega being the calendar will significantly reduce value if true.

Imagine if Cad Bane and Todo 360 end up in a foil pack. 

3 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

The dioramas are at least $10-25 overpriced even though they all look pretty great and uber-expensive sets being the best sets is true and kinda sad cause it feels like Lego does know how to make a set really worth it but just doesn't care to do so for sets under $150. 

I feel like I have to disagree on the second point. Lego does some awesome sets on the lower end of the price spectrum, even with Star Wars (though there are lots of great examples in the other themes too). The battle packs, despite going up to $20 (which weirdly isn't that far off the historical average, inflation-adjusted), still provide fun little builds with 4 detailed minifigs. Lego then turns around and asks for $600 for UCS sets that have the same number of figures, and still often rely on stickers or other compromises.

The past couple of years have given us the Dark Trooper Attack, Obi-Wan's Starfighter, the OG 501st battle pack, the Armored Marauder, the Mandalorian Starfighter, the newer play-scale X-Wing, and the Inquisitor Scythe, etc. (all at or below $100). I know this forum gets weighted towards the heavy-duty collectors who are able/willing to spend thousands of dollars per year on the biggest releases, but I would argue a majority of general consumers are happy to see smaller sets - that they can easily afford - take up more shelf space. I don't think it does most of us any favors to continue praising Lego's most expensive sets while ignoring the real value simpler products can bring to the table.

3 hours ago, NeutralNoodle said:

Imagine if Cad Bane and Todo 360 end up in a foil pack. 

Cad Bane wouldn't surprise me. Todo is probably a bit too niche. Hope I'm wrong!

1 hour ago, Csaba said:

Cad Bane wouldn't surprise me. Todo is probably a bit too niche. Hope I'm wrong!

I doubt we'd get Todo on his own , but we did get Rey + Bb8 as one foil pack so they could potentially do something like that.

Another question, when do think we might start to see pictures of the summer/ autumn sets? May? July? August? Not till they are on shelves?

13 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

(In other words, if a GWP is good enough to sell on it's own, they should do exactly that.)

Well put!

By the way, I see we have reached 202 pages for the 2023 set discussion. That's the same amount of pages as the 2022 set discussion had in the end, and we're only halfway into April...