MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

7 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

I really do hope they don’t butcher the summer-fall wave in any way. 

*Cut to someone at TLG hovering their hand over a big red button labelled „cancel random set“, giggling with excitement* :tongue:

Sounds like a good wave overall, but I‘m nowhere near as excited as a lot of people seem to be. At the end of the day, 90% of this year‘s output are still just remakes. Granted, highly requested remakes, but remakes nonetheless :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

People bought multiples of the 2013 Gunship, which had no standard troops, so that argument is invalid. Also, yes only the most hardcore fans (like myself) remember the Coruscant Gunship. This doesn't make it any less desirable to army builders. Trust me, army builders will, in fact, get more than one.

Just taking a slight survey here revealed they were less likely to get multiples. You can go on Reddit and see similar reactions. Which makes sense, because a red gunship belonging to one legion is far less massable than a generic one, and most people don’t buy multiples of sets, nor does Lego center their marketing strategy around people buying multiples of sets besides battle packs 

1 hour ago, Hhalcyon said:

Most army builders would only buy 1-3 plain gunships, what makes you think we'd want multiple of a ship which may as well be a named unique.

Coruscant

37 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

*Cut to someone at TLG hovering their hand over a big red button labelled „cancel random set“, giggling with excitement* :tongue:

Sounds like a good wave overall, but I‘m nowhere near as excited as a lot of people seem to be. At the end of the day, 90% of this year‘s output are still just remakes. Granted, highly requested remakes, but remakes nonetheless :shrug_oh_well:

Lol, they better not!

Remakes yes, but justified and relevant is important to add here. 

2 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

Are they selling a UCS Coruscant im unaware of?

yeah, you have to break into lego headquarters to see it

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

On paper it’s close to the golden years. 

First time in years I’ve planned on getting many sets all at once close to release.

This is providing they are all fine, of course. 

I feel exactly the same way. 

I remember when the Summer 2021 set list leaked out, and it sounded incredible. But then the Havoc Marauder was completely botched, Gideon’s Cruiser was underwhelming, Gauntlet had design flaws, etc. At least the minifigures were great.

Trepidation about shortcuts being taken with sets and some minor qualms with some of the decisions made aside, this summer wave sounds like a dream come true. It may have more than a few remakes as @BrickBob Studpants points out, but they’re all quite relevant in terms of popular media at least. 

Edited by Kaijumeister

27 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

I feel exactly the same way. 

I remember when the Summer 2021 set list leaked out, and it sounded incredible. But then the Havoc Marauder was completely botched, Gideon’s Cruiser was underwhelming, Gauntlet had design flaws, etc. At least the minifigures were great.

Yes, this is the exact example that comes to mind. 

I was so disappointed with the Bad Batch Shuttle and the Mando Fighter (especially). 

26 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Yes, this is the exact example that comes to mind. 

I was so disappointed with the Bad Batch Shuttle and the Mando Fighter (especially). 

I have no doubt they’ll remake the BB shuttle at some point, assuming the show continues for a few more seasons. The Mando fighter sucks but the fang fighter this year is a slight consolation 

13 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

I have no doubt they’ll remake the BB shuttle at some point, assuming the show continues for a few more seasons. The Mando fighter sucks but the fang fighter this year is a slight consolation 

You know what, I still have not got over how badly designed the Mando Fighter was.

It was literally wonky, how do the designers pass that off as acceptable…

Either way, I don’t think they’ll mess it up this time around to be honest. Most are remakes, after all. 

What is everyone planning on purchasing based on the rumours currently? 

Edited by ArrowBricks

1 hour ago, Goofster said:

Coruscant

I know it's a coruscant guard gunship but the only time I actually remember seeing them on screen was on scipio.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

True enough with the remakes but for the relatively younger amongst us getting big sets with the gunship and the ghost in 2013/14 wasn't really feasible, but now it's ten years later and I'm out of education and earning enough to have the disposable income to be able to get these sets.

19 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

The ghost is top priority then the gunship, the t6 and swamp speeder too, I'll probably go the the tie interceptor and fang fighter set at some point but it's a lower priority. Maybe the other Ahsoka set too, depends on how both the show and set turn out. Yavin I think I'll only get if next year's offerings are really dry, which they shouldn't be. The Venator is almost definitely a no, I haven't bought any star wars UCS yet, and if I start it'd probably be with a figure scaled one. The spider tank and 4+ jedi temple are only with a good discount, buildable chewie is a no, as is UCS X-wing, I haven't bought any dioramas yet ( the Jabba's palace would have been my first cause I was interested) but given the price I doubt that will change soon, maybe I can ask for one if I win the may the fourth contest :laugh:, I forgot about the pirate fighte but I do like it but I'm sure it'll get a discount so I'll wait for one before I buy it.

But a different but similar question, which set are you most looking forward to seeing official pictures of?

For me it's the ghost.

Edited by Agent Kallus

59 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

I have no doubt they’ll remake the BB shuttle at some point, assuming the show continues for a few more seasons.

I’d love to see that, maybe at the Justifier’s price point.

@ArrowBricks No joke, outside of UCS Chewbacca, the mechs, and Yoda’s Starfighter, I’m poised to buy all the August / September sets. They all sound pretty great.

I really hope there’s more to the unknown Ahsoka set though, than just some generic New Republic ships and pilots.

3 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

On paper it’s close to the golden years. 

First time in years I’ve planned on getting many sets all at once close to release.

This is providing they are all fine, of course. 

Yeah same here hah

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

Swamp Speeder (Im a sucker for the Ahsoka Clones, will get this on sale though), Coruscant Guard Gunship, Ghost, T-6, Fang Fighter vs TIE. Obviously will need to see what the sets are actually like to confirm I'm interested but yeah those are my picks

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

But a different but similar question, which set are you most looking forward to seeing official pictures of?

For me it's the ghost.

Probably the T6 Shuttle because it has a newer design than TCW version which I really love and hope Lego have expertly reproduced. I think the figures are especially exciting in this one, too. 

Or, the Gunship to see how it differs from the 2013 one, how it’s utilised new techniques especially from the UCS version, and what shade of red and how much red is used (if the rumours are correct…)

Edited by ArrowBricks

I feel as tho the official images of the summer/fall sets will come out around June-ish...Im still holding out hope for the Ahsoka sets being revealed during Celly in the next few days

24 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

I feel as tho the official images of the summer/fall sets will come out around June-ish...Im still holding out hope for the Ahsoka sets being revealed during Celly in the next few days

I’d be shocked, but I’ve been shocked by these rumours and still are, somewhat. 

2 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Definitely the Gunship and Venator. Some people may not like the Gunship because it’s Courscant style and not as good for army building, but getting not only Phase II Fox but shock troopers and Chancellor Palpatine is really cool. Venator because that’s definitely going to be a beast. Don’t care for the Swamp Speeder or the Ghost and I really wished the former came with 327s and Bly. No one’s really talking about Yavin IV but I’m excited for that one as well, just gotta to see how they execute it. Because if it’s just a slice of the hangar and not the entire Temple I don’t think I want it. Also want the two new dioramas. This is probably the most I ever wanted from a single wave from a very long time, about ten years or so. 

2 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Either way, I don’t think they’ll mess it up this time around to be honest. Most are remakes, after all.

2014’s MTT called….

I'm relatively certain that I'll (want to) purchase the Ghost and the Swamp Speeder. If the rumors about the Gunship turn out to be false, then a generic Gunship will be my top priority.

I'm also very interested to see how a few other sets will turn out. As of now I'm keeping a close eye on Yoda's starfighter and maybe the Yavin IV base. If the Gunship does turn out to have a Coruscant Guard I still *might* consider it but in that case I think I'd first need some time to get over the (slight) disappointment. Oh, and maybe the T-6 shuttle but I still have to think about if it's even a worthwhile vehicle on its own.

3 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

They never remade the Ghost during the run of Rebels, so I wouldn’t be so sure. And Rebels was probably a lot more wide reaching and popular than Bad Batch, since it had a more wide scope character and story wise, plus it was the only running Star Wars TV show at the time. At this point it seems like the most we can hope for is 1 Bad Batch set per season. 

Probably the Ahsoka sets & Yoda’s Starfighter, and then maybe Yavin or the Gunship down the line, depending on how my wallet goes and what future Lego sets we get down the line. I am glad that the Fall UCS/MBS set is undesirable, so I don’t have 2 massive sets I want to buy in a year. (The other being Rivendell)

(I am very much looking forward to viewing photos and videos of the UCS Venator though, since I’m sure it will be beautiful)

Edited by QuiggoldsPegLeg

6 hours ago, Hhalcyon said:

Most army builders would only buy 1-3 plain gunships, what makes you think we'd want multiple of a ship which may as well be a named unique.

Because it's not unique. The Muunlist 10 "Sharktooth" Gunship is unique. The "Crumb Bomber" is unique. A red gunship is just a variant. If someone who's been army building for years already has 20 regular LAAT/is, of course they'll buy 2 of a variant Gunship. I think you guys are stressing out way too hard over a little red plating.

6 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Just taking a slight survey here revealed they were less likely to get multiples. You can go on Reddit and see similar reactions. Which makes sense, because a red gunship belonging to one legion is far less massable than a generic one, and most people don’t buy multiples of sets, nor does Lego center their marketing strategy around people buying multiples of sets besides battle packs 

"less likely" is not "will not". Reddit and Eurobricks, while quite large communities, are not indicative of LSW Fandom as a whole. Of course not everyone will buy 2-4 Gunships (regardless of design), but someone will. How else are the clones gonna end up on bricklink? Someone has to go out and buy multiples. Also none of this relates to my original point about a certain Mandalorian not in the fighter duel. Of course it's not Lego's primary marketing strategy, but they're not stupid. They know people buy multiples of sets, especially in the Star Wars community. Every X-Wing prior to 2021 had switchable pates for the other Red Squadron member. I'd say they're encouraging people to get two.

4 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Gunship (maybe 2 just to spite y'all :laugh:), T6 Shuttle, Yavin IV, UCS Venator (at some point). Maybe that New Republic fighter two-pack, depending on what and who it contains. I will probably buy the swamp speeder too, despite waiting on the 327th since 2014 (I would buy so many 327th Battle Packs...oh so, so many...:wink:), but I'm sure I'll find a use for the 332nd. If Yoda's starfighter is the Battlefront II Eta-2, then I'll buy it, if it's the canon one, I won't.

It's really looking like a good summer wave, all thing considered.

36 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

How else are the clones gonna end up on bricklink? Someone has to go out and buy multiples. Also none of this relates to my original point about a certain Mandalorian not in the fighter duel. Of course it's not Lego's primary marketing strategy, but they're not stupid. They know people buy multiples of sets, especially in the Star Wars community. Every X-Wing prior to 2021 had switchable pates for the other Red Squadron member. I'd say they're encouraging people to get two.

1. Because reselling is a lucrative market

2. The most recent x wing doesn’t even come with an interchangeable piece for Luke’s five stripes. So in this case it’s even less desirable to buy multiples since they don’t give you a chance to accurately make another red squadron fighter

99% of people don’t buy multiples and Lego certainly didn’t omit a named character from the fang fighter set because of army builders. They don’t care. It was almost definitely because of a lack of access of information, same reason the spider tank is missing its droid

Edited by Flawless Cowboy

1 hour ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Because it's not unique. The Muunlist 10 "Sharktooth" Gunship is unique. The "Crumb Bomber" is unique. A red gunship is just a variant. If someone who's been army building for years already has 20 regular LAAT/is, of course they'll buy 2 of a variant Gunship. I think you guys are stressing out way too hard over a little red plating.

"a little red plating"
Comrade, it is 93% red what are you talking about?

And sure, if someone is insane enough to buy 20 regular LAAT's maybe they would buy 2 of a coruscant guard gunship. But the fact that the bought 20 of one, and 2 of the other illustrates my point entirely, it's not as versatile.

Also the amount of people who are going to be buying 3 gunships is already like 1% of Lego fans, the amount of people who own 20 gunships is probably like 30 (total, as in 30 seperate individuals out of 8 billion.) They're not of note and should not be used as an argument to to illustrate how good or bad a set is.

One guy who eats 37 snickers a day is not representative of the quality of snickers, they're clearly just insane.

And sure the coruscant gunship isn't unique. Considering that we only actually see this vehicle once, and it's never even on coruscant, that kinda tells me there's probably a couple hundred at most. A vehicle that is used for special forces, seemingly on extremely sensitive diplomatic missions may not be "one of a kind" but if you looked into every single battle that ever happened in the clone wars, what do you think the chance of seeing one of them is? If your answer is anything above 0.5% you're being very optimistic.

Point being: good ship, great set but 0 army buildability unless you're willing to pay £60 per shock trooper. Which you shouldn't. Even the figures in the AT-TE dropped to like £11 before the magazine came out so you can expect to be able to bricklink all the coruscant guards you want without buying multiple gunships.

31 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

99% of people don’t buy multiples and Lego certainly didn’t omit a named character from the fang fighter set because of army builders. They don’t care. It was almost definitely because of a lack of access of information, same reason the spider tank is missing its droid

I can only imagine the people saying "army builder sets with named characters are bad" aren't army builders themselves because if someone bought 10 Republic Fighter tanks I guarantee they don't mind having 10 mace windus. If nothing else you can hold onto them in nice bags and resell them and make a bit of your money back.

That's what i'm going to be doing with my 13 extra captain vaughns after that swamp speeder retires lmao. (I'm not buying with the intent to do that btw, scalpers are yuck. But if I'm buying an army builder with a named characters i'm not just gonna hoard the named characters)

Edited by Hhalcyon