MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

3 minutes ago, MBricks said:

My point is basically that price of the UCS gunship is a lot closer to the price of a minifig scale version than any of the rest of these.

If the rumor for the X-Wing in May holds true, than that would be in a similar price difference too to a potential gunship. Not that I believe it will happen. 

Edited by McMurder_them_softly

1 hour ago, MBricks said:

My point is basically that price of the UCS gunship is a lot closer to the price of a minifig scale version than any of the rest of these.

I think that's a very fair point, and I'd also add that it's just not on the same level on iconic-ness as the sets that currently have a system and UCS version available. With something like the Falcon there's always going to be a market for both, but the Gunship, while popular with PT fans, is probably not well-known enough that the UCS and system versions would both sell well simultaneously.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

No sources, not even semi-reliable ones have so much as HINTED at a gunship, guys. One is probably gonna show up eventually, but there's no reason to believe it's this year.

I know no source has been hinting this, however now that we know set 75357 has 1397 pieces it’s most likely going to be a gunship

2 hours ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

This. Agreed fully.

Still convinced those mystery sets are either an OT set, or Skeleton Crew set. Maybe it's a hammerhead corvette. Idk. That'd be cool.

tbh I see set 75354 being skeleton crew but I find it even less likely than a gunship  that they make a hammerhead corvette this year

25 minutes ago, Meadius said:

I think that's a very fair point, and I'd also add that it's just not on the same level on iconic-ness as the sets that currently have a system and UCS version available. With something like the Falcon there's always going to be a market for both, but the Gunship, while popular with PT fans, is probably not well-known enough that the UCS and system versions would both sell well simultaneously.

I'd say the customers for a playset wouldn't be deterred from buying a $130-$170 play scale Gunship due to the $350 UCS version being on shelves at the same time. The UCS models are aimed at AFOLS, collectors, and invested SW Fans while the play scale could be bought by any random parent, Lego fan, SW fan, or little kid who has seen CW, BB, or PT. The groups they'd be marketing to are different and not just regulated to PT fans, in addition, I'd argue that a play scale Gunship would be easier to sell to kids and parents (the main customer group) because it's more recognizable to kids TODAY than any OT set other than an X-Wing, TIE, DS, or MF (I emphasize today so you guys don't jump on my head Ik OT is more popular with more people). The CW show is very much more popular than people give it credit and those kids who watched it growing up from 2009-2015 when they were young are now some of the key customer groups. 

10 minutes ago, Matichado said:

I know no source has been hinting this, however now that we know set 75357 has 1397 pieces it’s most likely going to be a gunship

Most likely? Based on what exactly? :tongue: It could be virtually anything: an OT set, a buildable object, a Mando/Bad Batch/Ahsoka/Skeleton Crew tie-in set or something completely different.

3 minutes ago, Goofster said:

Y'all thinking that Darth Bane could show up in that yoda's starfighter remake?

As much chance as there being a perfect March Madness bracket

16 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Most likely? Based on what exactly? :tongue: It could be virtually anything: an OT set, a buildable object, a Mando/Bad Batch/Ahsoka/Skeleton Crew tie-in set or something completely different.

My reasoning is the clone wars 20th aniversary, LEGO brought it upon themselves so they most likely will release a big clone wars set like how much love they’ve given ROJ and I know OT sets sell of better individually but Clone Wars Sets tend to be bought on mass. Why a gunship? Because LEGO knows we want a gunship and last year they released an AT TE and by facts every republic era AT TE in the past came with gunship to back it up with at least a year of wait. But I agree it can still be anything I just don’t see it being any other thing although maybe a play scale ISD but a hammerhead corvette? Yeah that’s definitely not happening

I'm still holding out for a UCS Home One for 650$ but I doubt Rebel capital ships are as popular to warrant the price point. 

6 minutes ago, Goofster said:

I actually Want that Star fighter to come with Oppo Rancisis, he appears in that arc and they could easily make him, serpentine tail, Santa Claus shears and a new Jaír piece

Just now, Gontron said:

I'm still holding out for a UCS Home One for 650$ but I doubt Rebel capital ships are as popular to warrant the price point. 

I think that a home one or a nebulon b frigate will be the UCS sets

11 minutes ago, Matichado said:

My reasoning is the clone wars 20th aniversary […]

As has been firmly established before, TLG don’t care about anniversaries. And just because something makes sense or fits a perceived pattern doesn’t mean it’s likely.

For instance, a Duel on Exegol set in 2020 would have made perfect sense. Instead, we got a pointless near-identical Death Star Duel rehash :tongue: The Fondor would also make sense this year, yet it’s nowhere to be seen. That’s not how likelihood works

There is not a single piece of evidence supporting that a Republic Gunship. By continuing to assume it is coming is just going to bring disappointment. We already got three sets this year celebrating the Clone Wars era with the anniversary logo. Keep in mind that so far more Clone Wars anniversary sets have come out than the anniversary sets for ROTJ.

1 hour ago, Matichado said:

That's an absolutely wild leap in logic. You mind telling me how a 1397 piece count means it's most likely a gunship?

10 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That's an absolutely wild leap in logic. You mind telling me how a 1397 piece count means it's most likely a gunship?

Lego usually puts more pieces to sets with time last gunship had around 1200 pieces also I still think they will make a big clone wars set for the anniversary so the set fits perfectly however I’m well aware it could be anything so if it’s not a gunship I will be disappointed sure but I know that my take has no basis other than mere speculation. Also I recently got a steal on a 2013 gunship so I would still don’t mind that much.

27 minutes ago, Jenga Fett1 said:

There is not a single piece of evidence supporting that a Republic Gunship. By continuing to assume it is coming is just going to bring disappointment. We already got three sets this year celebrating the Clone Wars era with the anniversary logo. Keep in mind that so far more Clone Wars anniversary sets have come out than the anniversary sets for ROTJ.

No, we are getting more sets for roj: The Tie Bomber, The Boush Helmet, The UCS X wing And the three Diorama sets and that’s without counting the big Ucs set that will most likely be ROJ for lone wars we have 5: The 501st battlepack, the 2 helmets, the swamp speeder and Yodas starfighter. 

its 6 or 7 vs 5 and also compare the sizes of those sets. And mind you I’m not saying that the 1397 set is guaranteed to be a gunship, is just what I find most likely 

Edited by Matichado

1 hour ago, Goofster said:

Nah. I fully expect that set to be a pointless remake with boring Yoda and R2 figures again and no one else. I’d be happy to be wrong though.

1 hour ago, Matichado said:

My reasoning is the clone wars 20th aniversary, LEGO brought it upon themselves so they most likely will release a big clone wars set like how much love they’ve given ROJ and I know OT sets sell of better individually but Clone Wars Sets tend to be bought on mass. Why a gunship? Because LEGO knows we want a gunship and last year they released an AT TE and by facts every republic era AT TE in the past came with gunship to back it up with at least a year of wait. But I agree it can still be anything I just don’t see it being any other thing although maybe a play scale ISD but a hammerhead corvette? Yeah that’s definitely not happening

The Clone Wars 20th Anniversary is an arbitrary label that Lego and other merchandise companies are slapping onto boxes to sell even more Clone Wars merch, which has already been selling fairly well anyway in the last few years. They’re not even really doing anything to commemorate the 2003 Clone Wars series which is the Clone Wars that actually came out 20 years ago. Most of the attention is being given to the 2008 series, which begs the question of why they aren’t just doing a 15 year anniversary for that?

Anyway, I can’t imagine Lego is unaware of the demand for a new non-UCS Gunship but I don’t know if I see it happening this summer. I said otherwise a couple months ago but I’ve changed my mind. In the past, Lego always released AT-TEs and Gunships side by side but nowadays, Lego probably doesn’t want to dedicate shelf space to two large prequel sets at the same time (plus a large TBB set which is essentially prequel-adjacent), especially with all the new content coming out.

I think this 1000+ piece set is a true wild card, just like the two $100 sets in Summer 2020 were. If it is an OT ship like Home One or the Nebulon Frigate, I wouldn’t be disappointed by any means, but it’d feel a bit odd for Lego to dedicate two of the largest non-D2C sets for the summer/fall to the OT, especially with all the new content coming out in 2023. At the same time though, out of all that new content, I don’t know what they’d base this set off of. I’d love it if it was a Jedi: Survivor set of The Mantis, but I’ve kinda lost hope of Lego touching that franchise. (I thought last year’s BD-1 was a clear sign that Lego would do more but now I’m not so sure.) The Fondor would be nice but I don’t think Lego will make that until 2024 when Andor season 2 releases. Maybe it could be a Bad Batch season 2 set, but I’m kinda doubting that for some reason. I think a Skeleton Crew set is more possible than I thought initially, but I still think it’s too soon. The show probably won’t air until late 2023/early 2024, and like most of the other Disney+ sets, we probably won’t get sets until after.

As for the remaining 2023 Mandalorian set, I’m glad to hear confirmation that it is indeed a Fang Fighter. As much as they’ve been slipping up lately, I don’t know why people were so quick to assume Lego got the ship name wrong and assumed the set was just going to be based off the dogfight in this week’s episode. For starters, the minifigure selection probably would have been exactly the same as the Spider Droid set, plus a TIE pilot and maybe another figure or two. Also, we still haven’t seen that leaked Death Watch Mandalorian in the show yet. We could (and apparently will) see more TIE Interceptors later on in the show, so the Fang Fighter is definitely still on the menu.

I do think it’s bizarre how Lego is handling the release of these Mandalorian sets though. This set is apparently based off of the last episode (or at least a later episode) in the season, right? It apparently contains spoilery elements and they’re revealing AND releasing it within two weeks after the season ends. And knowing Lego, they somehow still expect for this thing to not leak. So why is the Spider Droid and the Microfighter releasing in August and this set releasing in May? It’d make more sense for all of these to either release together at some point during the summer or for the set that actually contains potential spoilers to release in August, rather than the two smaller ones that have absolutely nothing spoilery within them. Also, if Din Djarin doesn’t appear in the Fang Fighter vs TIE Interceptor set, then that means the titular character wouldn’t be coming in any of the Season 3 sets until the second wave in August. That’s just really weird.

Back to the Fang Fighter though, I bet that one of the spoilery inclusions ties in with a recent credibly sourced leak/rumor that

a live-action version of Fenn Rau from Star Wars Rebels will indeed appear this season. The ship class he and the Mandalorian Protectors were known for flying around in was the Fang Fighter. It all lines up.

Very exciting if that pans out!

Edited by The Stud

As much as i love the clone wars, every year theres so many dumb TCW rumors which Youtubers listen and feed to unknowing people who than get disappointed and it happens yet again next year and next year, etc...

i can agree with points like "lego makes too many OT sets", but OT is too iconic and sells easily, and TCW isn't a main priority, it was 13 years ago, but lego has moved onto The Mandalorian, its all bout eras.

Dont get me wrong, i really want TCW sets too, but some people really just put captain rex in every set, i think lego should definitely re-release Rex, but in a set with luminara...?

with us getting cody, the probability of getting rex is higher and especially with skywalker saga, they even bothered to give him a new face print underneath that no one would see.

2 minutes ago, Goofster said:

As much as i love the clone wars, every year theres so many dumb TCW rumors which Youtubers listen and feed to unknowing people who than get disappointed and it happens yet again next year and next year, etc...

i can agree with points like "lego makes too many OT sets", but OT is too iconic and sells easily, and TCW isn't a main priority, it was 13 years ago, but lego has moved onto The Mandalorian, its all bout eras.

Dont get me wrong, i really want TCW sets too, but some people really just put captain rex in every set, i think lego should definitely re-release Rex, but in a set with luminara...?

with us getting cody, the probability of getting rex is higher and especially with skywalker saga, they even bothered to give him a new face print underneath that no one would see.

Good post! :thumbup:

19 minutes ago, Goofster said:

i think lego should definitely re-release Rex, but in a set with luminara...?

Rex has already come in a set with Luminara. I don't think it's as farfetched as you're making it out to be. Patterns don't mean anything though

22 minutes ago, Matichado said:

No, we are getting more sets for roj: The Tie Bomber, The Boush Helmet, The UCS X wing And the three Diorama sets and that’s without counting the big Ucs set that will most likely be ROJ for lone wars we have 5: The 501st battlepack, the 2 helmets, the swamp speeder and Yodas starfighter. 

The TIE Bomber did not appear in Return of the Jedi. LEGO may have labeled it as an anniversary set, but I don't think anyone seriously counts it as such. It would be like LEGO releasing Maul's Sith Interceptor with an AotC anniversary logo on it.... except in that case the Internet would be in flames, there'd be videos from every "influencer" decrying how LEGO hates the prequels or is run by idiots, and this forum would probably have imploded from the agita.

You are also counting three diorama sets when... there may well only be two. And you're counting a fairly generic X-Wing -- one which appears in no less than 5 Star Wars films (and originated two films earlier) -- as a RotJ anniversary set. And then also making a giant assumption about a second UCS set based on literally zero info. 

You have not supported your thesis particularly well with this "evidence".

36 minutes ago, Matichado said:

Lego usually puts more pieces to sets with time last gunship had around 1200 pieces also I still think they will make a big clone wars set for the anniversary so the set fits perfectly however I’m well aware it could be anything so if it’s not a gunship I will be disappointed sure but I know that my take has no basis other than mere speculation. Also I recently got a steal on a 2013 gunship so I would still don’t mind that much.

I appreciate the optimism, but I'm glad you understand it could be literally anything. A gunship is possible, but don't get your hopes up. Like you said, it's just mere speculation.

33 minutes ago, The Stud said:

Reveal hidden contents

a live-action version of Fenn Rau from Star Wars Rebels will indeed appear this season. The ship class he and the Mandalorian Protectors were known for flying around in was the Fang Fighter. It all lines up.

Very exciting if that pans out!

MASSIVE W for me and @Goofster

11 minutes ago, EvanHnuel said:

Rex has already come in a set with Luminara. I don't think it's as farfetched as you're making it out to be. Patterns don't mean anything though

Oh man, clearly coincidental patterns that show up are some of my favorites. This one guy used the fact that every time a TX-130 was on shelves, an AT-TE would be on shelves during that release window to say that the may 2022 TX-130 proved an AT-TE was coming... and then was RIGHT? I remember saying that it was a stupid piece of evidence at the time, but he was right, coincidental (yes) or not.

7 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

The TIE Bomber did not appear in Return of the Jedi.

It did actually, but barely...

EQMnY4LUEAA2Ejo.jpg

8 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

The TIE Bomber did not appear in Return of the Jedi. LEGO may have labeled it as an anniversary set, but I don't think anyone seriously counts it as such. It would be like LEGO releasing Maul's Sith Interceptor with an AotC anniversary logo on it.... except in that case the Internet would be in flames, there'd be videos from every "influencer" decrying how LEGO hates the prequels or is run by idiots, and this forum would probably have imploded from the agita.

You are also counting three diorama sets when... there may well only be two. And you're counting a fairly generic X-Wing -- one which appears in no less than 5 Star Wars films (and originated two films earlier) -- as a RotJ anniversary set. And then also making a giant assumption about a second UCS set based on literally zero info. 

You have not supported your thesis particularly well with this "evidence".

First of all the tie bomber does appear in ROJ but in a small frame, second all those sets still are ROJ anniversary sets wether you like it or not.

tho I do agree with the análisis you did of the sith infiltrator AOTC anniversary it sucks but it’s true 

10 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

MASSIVE W for me and @Goofster

W, hopefully he's in that set. As a Fenn Rau enthusiast, i will definitely buy that set, hopefully he has the season 4 armor, its peak.

11 minutes ago, lomis said:

It did actually, but barely...

Okay, fine. But we're really splitting hairs here...