the Inventor

[MOC] Majisto's advanced portal magic class

At Majisto's academy of advanced magic, the students learn about portal magic for the first time. Apparently they forgot the rule about making one in the ceiling directly above them and then one on the floor where they were standing...

-
Inspiration for this build, if not clear is the Portal game of course, where you create portals to solve the levels in the game.
-

Build for the Summer Joust 2022 12x12 vignette category.

52202988637_21a8617282_b.jpg

Majisto's advanced portal magic class by Ids de Jong, on Flickr

Fantastic! A really fun idea beautifully executed. I admire your dedication making the walls out of plates. 

Cool idea and I love all the small details in the build. Awesome work.

@SirBlake Thanks, yeah it uses an awful lot of plates making the wall like this, I won't be using it on something bigger.

I believe around 600~800 plates in total, this small vignette uses really many pieces. :pir_tong2:

The ceiling also uses 81, 1x1 in medium nougat, so I'm easily over a 1000 parts. :pir_laugh2:

@Mencot Thank you.

@woodford86 Thanks, yeah, those launcher bricks line up nicely with some plates to get a nice continuous pattern.

Edited by the Inventor

Great idea and very well executed. The little details really make it. The 1x1 tiles in the ceiling really take that from being a bland area to well decorated. I think if I were to change one thing it would be that the portal is in the same position in the floor and in the ceiling to help with the idea that it is the same portal.

This is so funny and well made. Love the portals and brickwork on the wall ! Lovely :) 

:pir_laugh2: Laughed so much.

You must have had to collect the books for some time?! I would like to make a note of the way you built the scrolls and use them once. As simple as it is ingenious.

I love the little details.  The little Lizard dude is from Frozen sets, right?  Also, very nice collection of books there :)

@MAB Thanks, I tried the portal on the ceiling directly above the one in the floor, but I could not fixate it there properly.

@Piraten Thanks.

@MontyMatte Thank you, I have been collecting for a long time, most of those books are from the first wave of the Harry Potter sets I own, and I believe those brown ones I bought loose a long time ago.

@Captain Braunsfeld Thanks.

@Triceron Thanks, yes that lizard is from a Frozen polybag.

Edited by the Inventor

This is a fun build, with some great details including the (incredibly painstaking, I'm sure) plate walls and the use of crystal ball parts as jars (I'm going to have to remember to use the Eye of Sauron in a similar way if I ever get around to creating an MOC of Majisto's Magical Workshop).

I also think this MOC is a great showcase of all the different wizard minifigures LEGO has given us over the years, although I'll admit I can't quite tell which one is supposed to be Majisto! Guess it's another one of his magic tricks! :head_back:

The small ingots and the books and scrolls add so much detail that it's almost unbelievable, not to mention the "shooter" bricks on the base... Great work.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:27 PM, the Inventor said:

most of those books are from the first wave of the Harry Potter sets I own, and I believe those brown ones I bought loose a long time ago.

Well done!