Thirdwigg

[TC22] Skid Excavator [Done] or End Loader [Done] (Free Instructions)

I'm working on some final details around the cabin, and cannot decide what I like best.

800x800.jpeg

Top with no door, or bottom with a door. Parts will be in yellow. Any thoughts?

Below is the non-door side, which I guess is another option.

800x800.jpeg

Edited by Thirdwigg

18 minutes ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

The third "non-door" looks best, in my humble opinion.

10 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Third picture looks the best to me

I agree, but can I really do without this “feature”?

29 minutes ago, GerritvdG said:

I like the second one, looks clean without the black liftarm..

Thanks. I'll cover the liftarm with something if I don't add the door. I agree the liftarm looks unfinished. 

Second and third have its own pros and cons, but to make final decision I have a question - which loader was your main inspiration?

1 hour ago, 1gor said:

Second and third have its own pros and cons, but to make final decision I have a question - which loader was your main inspiration?

Inspiration was a Volvo L50H, with a wide engine cover that continues to the cab. 

wheel-loaders-l50h-volvo.jpg

With this as an inspiration, I get it why you want doors. The option #2 is good too, with those lbg parts in yellow, it would match the model pretty well. Only, what happens to the rearmost pillar? It kinda floats. Will you fix it? Maybe to the other pillar? 

Thanks all for the feedback.

I went with option three as it looks the cleanest to my eye. The door will no longer be a play feature, but it's worth it in my mind.

I added mirrors, and lights, and finalized forks that can be easily interchanged. The design is final and I have ordered parts. I'll post a video and final build photos when the parts arrive. It should be up on Rebrickable early next week.

Thanks (sorry?) to @MP LEGO Technic creations for using (stealing?) your hub and mirror design. They work well, and look great.

52068500724_f2d546efb2_b.jpg

Alright, I have some time this weekend, so I'm going to make a hard right turn to see if I can get the Excavator done as well. 

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Thanks (sorry?) to @MP LEGO Technic creations for using (stealing?) your hub and mirror design. They work well, and look great.

Feel free to use anything you want :wink:. I changed my mirror design to a folding one (maybe I'll upload some photos today) because this one wouldn't easily fit in. Congrats to completing this awesome model and wish you best of luck in the competition (still hope you'll manage to finish the excavator either)!

I must be having a bad withdrawal from no building at the moment, I just want to build all these TC22 entries. This one too, it looks great!

15 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I think black hubs would look better on your model, I like the photo you posted on Wednesday with black hubs.

Great model :blush:

This is another example of a model which could easily make it in the official Lego line-up, although they'd use panels and stickers on the rear bumper :D

That’s a great looking little model. There’s so many great entries for this competition it’s going to be difficult to choose

23 hours ago, Danny Chen said:

It's relly cool

Thanks!

21 hours ago, MP LEGO Technic creations said:

Feel free to use anything you want :wink:. I changed my mirror design to a folding one (maybe I'll upload some photos today) because this one wouldn't easily fit in. Congrats to completing this awesome model and wish you best of luck in the competition (still hope you'll manage to finish the excavator either)!

Thanks for the permission. :classic: I'm closer on the excavator than I thought. I spent an hour on it yesterday, and I think I might need another hour or two. It will get done.

10 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

I must be having a bad withdrawal from no building at the moment, I just want to build all these TC22 entries. This one too, it looks great!

We all go through stages. Hopefully my (and other's) building can carry you through your withdraw for the moment. I'll post free instructions of the loader soon, so you can live through my current creativity until yours is back.

7 hours ago, mpj said:

I think black hubs would look better on your model, I like the photo you posted on Wednesday with black hubs.

You know, I didn't even consider this. I have plenty of the black hubs, so I'll see what I like better when the yellow hubs arrive. Thanks for the idea.

4 hours ago, Jundis said:

Great model :blush:

This is another example of a model which could easily make it in the official Lego line-up, although they'd use panels and stickers on the rear bumper :D

Thank you. Yeah, not only the lack of panels and stickers on the bumper, but also having extra features would limit its official LEGO release.

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

That’s a great looking little model. There’s so many great entries for this competition it’s going to be difficult to choose

Thanks again, and I'm glad you like it. I've done well in recent contests, so feel free to share the love for some other great designs this time.  

Nice, clean design :thumbup:. It was especially interesting for me to watch the construction of the front loader, because this is an alternative appearance of the equipment that I selected for the competition and we have the same scale.
Looking forward to the final photos!

8 hours ago, Akassin said:

Nice, clean design :thumbup:. It was especially interesting for me to watch the construction of the front loader, because this is an alternative appearance of the equipment that I selected for the competition and we have the same scale.
Looking forward to the final photos!

Thanks, and I'm glad you had fun watching the loader come together as you were making the log loader. Final pictures should be up early next week.

OK, I spent a little more time on the skid excavator and I think the bodywork is more or less final. I'll need to redo a couple of details, but the general idea is there. The mechanics are all final.

800x533.jpeg

Here is from the rear. The body seems too short front to rear in my eyes.

800x533.jpeg

And for those of you who very early in this project suggested the small tracks, here is a simple mockup with them attached.

800x533.jpeg

Which one do you like better? The Loader or the Excavator?

Both models look amazing :wub:. But at the same time, the excavator has a lot of functions. But it's so hard to make a choice...

choice.jpg

Excavator bodywork is very Technic style, some holes and some panels placed in the right way. Simply perfect.

Small tracks are too small.

Maybe the rubber tracks are the best.

I hope you will make instructions for both models :wub:

6 hours ago, Seasider said:

I’d stick with your loader the body of the excavator looks too stubby to me

Yeah, the body of the excavator is not where I want it to be.

@Akassin I know, I'm beginning to think I should have never started two builds!

2 hours ago, mpj said:

Excavator bodywork is very Technic style, some holes and some panels placed in the right way. Simply perfect.

Small tracks are too small.

Maybe the rubber tracks are the best.

I hope you will make instructions for both models :wub:

Glad you like the Excavator. I agree the small tracks are too small, but I don't have the rubber tracks. Here is a rough render with the rubber tracks. Better?

800x600.png

Instructions for the Loader are done, and will be posted when final photos are taken. Excavator studio file is about 40% done, and I'll finish the file once I'm satisfied with the bodywork. I'll post the instructions soon after.

I would definitely go with the loader if you managed to put all knobs at the back. I don't like the situation where you're using knobs in front of it/at the side.

The excavator looks awesome, but I don't like the approach with knobs everywhere - it's more like pose-able than playable and thus I'd chose something that is possible to control from the back.