Sign in to follow this  
Maxim I

[ESL-FB] Damaborg Sawmill

Damaborg Sawmill

Damaborg 622 AE

The hamlet of Damaborg was in huge need of wood. More than a regiment of MAESTRO soldiers are stationed here and the exploration operations needed resources to fuel their success. Food, clothes, medicines, weapons, drinks, pleasure, apples, ... . Ofcourse that meant that bigger buildings were needed to store and trade them. In combination with the first defensive structures, a huge wooden wall. One of the main ingredients of this bustling place would be wood. Also for the expiditions itself, timber would be very usefull for chariots and smaller sloops for exploring.

Luckily there are trees enough in this area. But cutting them and sawing them by hand takes a lot of time. And time is precious. So construction began of a sawmill. Based on the ideas of Cornelis Corneliszoon, a windmill was constructed, connected to the saw by gear. Through the neverending powersupply of wind, the proces of sawing wood into planks became so much quicker.

Soon the speed of the development of Damaborg would be unseen!

51946189634_221d66a4af_c.jpg

51945879111_efd8c19fc2_c.jpg

51944892627_3631e80205_c.jpg

Will be licenced as a large factory in Damaborg (The Lowers).

Thanks for watching! C&C much appreciated :)

(ooc)

While looking for examples, I discoverd the first sawmill powered by windenergy was developped and octroied by the Dutch farmer Cornelis Corneliszoon in 1593. It took some research to discover how it works and I hope I managed to bring it into LEGO. The proces isn't that clear here and probably not 100% accurate (it was a vertical saw, here I used round sawblades as I had no clue how to make it work otherwise).

I always wanted to build an historic windmill and this was the perfect opportunity to build it with a saw factory.

Edited by Maxim I

This is a very beautiful sawmill! :pir-love: There are many interesting details. I like the construction how the windmill with gears makes the saw work. It is also very interesting to see the workers at work. There is also a horse-drawn carriage on which the sawn wood is loaded.

The shape of the windmill made this stand out for me, brilliantly done. Then I noticed the details connecting it to the sawmill and driving the saws - really great attention to detail. This may just be my favourite BoBS sawmill to date! Well done.

Very nice build indeed! Definitely love historical based builds! You mentioned the blade being vertical ... I'm assuming they ran a cam and crank to just "saw" the blade up and down?  A plate and the 1x2 curve with 45 edge might work ... Or even the 2x2 triangle tile with rigid hose and clips.  Unless those blades were tiny on the original.

You are going digital?  What will that mean for our next BrickMania?  Will we all just set up large computer screens? :pir-laugh:

Fine mill, still :pir-grin:

On 3/18/2022 at 6:38 PM, NOD said:

This is a very beautiful sawmill! :pir-love: There are many interesting details. I like the construction how the windmill with gears makes the saw work. It is also very interesting to see the workers at work. There is also a horse-drawn carriage on which the sawn wood is loaded.

I tried to think about as many aspects of how the whole process would be, so happy you appreciate it :pir-classic:

On 3/18/2022 at 10:18 PM, Professor Thaum said:

That's a beauty !

Wonderful sawmill

Thanks!

On 3/18/2022 at 11:10 PM, Jeff of Clubs said:

Excellent execution and well researched. Thoroughly enjoying this.

Great :pir-sweet:

On 3/21/2022 at 9:42 AM, Ayrlego said:

The shape of the windmill made this stand out for me, brilliantly done. Then I noticed the details connecting it to the sawmill and driving the saws - really great attention to detail. This may just be my favourite BoBS sawmill to date! Well done.

That's making me blushing :pir-blush: It should all work if it wasn't digital :pir-sweet:

On 3/21/2022 at 6:20 PM, Spud The Viking said:

Great build - so many nice features!

Kudos for doing your research :thumbup:

Thanks!

On 3/22/2022 at 6:16 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Very nice build indeed! Definitely love historical based builds! You mentioned the blade being vertical ... I'm assuming they ran a cam and crank to just "saw" the blade up and down?  A plate and the 1x2 curve with 45 edge might work ... Or even the 2x2 triangle tile with rigid hose and clips.  Unless those blades were tiny on the original.

Blades were tiny. There is a Bionical blade that would have been perfect, if it wasn't way too big to be practical haha :pir-laugh: I also prefered something thin over a solution that was a brick thick. So that's why I went for the round blades. It was also a bit more easy to work out as it makes enless circles and is not something that goes up and down.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:46 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

You are going digital?  What will that mean for our next BrickMania?  Will we all just set up large computer screens? :pir-laugh:

Fine mill, still :pir-grin:

Hmmm excellent idea haha :pir-tongue: