Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'sawmill'.
Found 2 results
A Lumbering Process Loggers, Sawmiller and Shieldsmiths In this MOC, a trio of scenes showcases the process of transforming trees into shields in medieval times. These workers are from the town of Batuhan, in northern Kaliphlin. Loggers The first vignette shows loggers at work. Two are using their axes to chop down a linden tree. Linden wood (or basswood) is light and easy to work with making it a great for shieldsmithing. A third man guides a horse pull along a felled tree. Sawmiller Logged trees make their way to the sawmill shown in the second scene. The water wheel powers the saw blades reducing the amount of manual effort needed to create lumber from logs. A sawmiller pushed the tree through the machine. At the other end, lumber falls into a cart (not shown) to be taken to the lumberyard or carpenters. Shieldsmiths Shieldsmiths take the linden lumber planks and cut them to the right shape and then plane them. The carpenter (center) uses a cabinet scraper to further smooth the wood surface. The blacksmith (right) hammers out an iron band to reinforce the shield. A painter (left) applies heraldry to a fully constructed shield.
Eslandola's settlement on Maldria was growing, especially with the new brickmaker's kiln. But the men were getting tired of cutting all the lumber by hand, so they dammed off a stream so they could build a waterwheel to power a sawmill. The undershot waterwheel powers a saw to cut logs into planks. Some of the soldiers also discovered that the pond created by the small dam was a good fishing spot. The central part of the mill was built with field stones to support the waterwheel, but the storage shed was built of log construction. With both bricks and sawn lumber, more construction would be possible for the settlement of Interlagos. --- This build started out as an experiment with the roof joint, that failed miserably, as the above photo shows. The angle of the joint didn't neatly fit the angle of any wedge plates, and ultimately there's far too much of a gap, so selective photo angles were necessary. Also, only after I had started to disassemble the build did I realize it would have looked much better if I had tiled the upper part of the pond rather than using loose 1x1 round plates. Oh well, live and learn. Still, I was happy with the stone wall, and I got my first experience trying to build a small waterfall. Also, I didn't do an interior for this build. The roof supports didn't really allow for it, and I have done a sawmill interior before. I will try to get back to showing interiors on future builds. All C&C welcome.