Sign in to follow this  
Khorne

[OL - FotL Cat1B] Monomontachi go to war

51912428164_aca113acb2_c.jpg

From left to right: Clan Kaneda ashigaru musketeer; ashigaru yari spearman; Kaneda Mori, daimyo; Kaneda Takatoshi, heir of clan Kaneda; Monomonto Minato, nephew of the Shogun - shown here wearing his Madrician style armor; New Style Corps infantry (2x); shinobi

Bound by the pact between the Monomonto Shogun and the Lotus Emperor, the clans send warriors to aid the Lotii in the liberation of the Jinzi Isle colonies and complete its conquest. The armies of the Monomonto Shogunate are a colorful and varied bunch, with each clan providing a number of levied soldiers clad in the clan's family colors. While there is a general composition that is usually followed in the makeup of these armies, no two armies are completely identical and uniforms, equipment and tactics can vastly differ from clan to clan.

Clan Kaneda is characterized by their diamond pattern mon emblem and red uniforms. Despite being one of the many lesser - descendant - clans of the Shogunate, they are a staunch ally of the clan Monomonto and swear fealty to the Shogun. They are a typical clan, loyal to ancient customs and are known to field a large number of ashigaru foot soldiers, combined with cavalry provided by the noble samurai of the clan. Clan Kaneda is ruled the austere Kaneda Mori, a traditionalist and firm believer in the Monomonto - Lotii military alliance. In the Jinzi conflict he is represented on the battlefield by his son and heir Kaneda Takatoshi: an infamous samurai and expert swordsman.

Supporting the myriad of smaller clans on Jinzi Isle is a contingent of the Shogun's forces themselves. While clan Monomonto can also be counted amongst the 'traditionalist' faction, they have nevertheless sent their 'New Style Corps' to Jinzi for field testing. This small corps is trained along Madrician pattern, having learned from their defeat during the first war. They are clad in the blacks of the Monomonto clan and have discarded traditional ashigaru armor in favor of a more simple 'uniform'. The forces of clan Monomonto are led by Minato, a nephew of the Shogun who is in search of fame, wealth and glory to improve his standing back home.

Next to the common soldiers, the Monomontachi are also known to bring shinobi or ninja to the field. These are commoners trained in the art of deception, subterfuge, assassination and trickery and are set loose in order to sow discord and confusion amongst the enemy. Clad in peasant robes and carrying concealed weaponry, these men infiltrate the Lotii colonies and agitate the populace against the Madrician occupants and prepare the way for the main army.

---

Phew, it's difficult to pour everything I wanted into 8 figures. I wanted to include more, but then I'd lose a cohesive army feeling so in the end I settled with these guys. Could've used some cavalry perhaps or a yumi archer. Too much inspiration and stories to tell :laugh:.

These just drool with character. Awesome job! Oleon is making a good showing in this competition so far!

I love seeing people ace challenges I don't plan to enter. :pir-grin:  There have been many great groups of figures already but this one is really outstanding, you nailed the dark warrior samurai feel with these guys, from the mask and pose of the central figure to the fellow hiding out behind in the shadows.  Great colors and composition too, the entire group is real eye candy.

A great selection and a story to match.

These are fantastic! A good cross-section of Monomonto forces in play. Excellent parts usage too. The shinobi are giving me an idea for this task, otherwise I got nothing at the moment. The New Style Corps and dour fellow in the center are really making it for me.

Nice combo, instantly recognizable and looks very convincing. Taketoshi-san is my favourite, seating in the middle with legs wide open, and I also like the fact that the shogun and his nephew are wearing two types of armours, of distinctive style, which reflects well the historic context, where tradition meets innovation. Good use of the starwars helmet too.

21 hours ago, Brickwolf said:

excellent figs!

20 hours ago, evancelt said:

These just drool with character. Awesome job! Oleon is making a good showing in this competition so far!

Thanks, guys!

20 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

I love seeing people ace challenges I don't plan to enter. :pir-grin:  There have been many great groups of figures already but this one is really outstanding, you nailed the dark warrior samurai feel with these guys, from the mask and pose of the central figure to the fellow hiding out behind in the shadows.  Great colors and composition too, the entire group is real eye candy.

18 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

:pir-love::pir-love:

Amazing figs!! The middle two warriors are my favourite, especially the one sitting down (giving me Shogun 2: Total War vibes)!

Thanks! The pose of the middle samurai is inspired by the quintessential "samurai on a fold chair" pictures and artwork, which most likely were also an inspiration for Shogun 2. The pose is so characteristic I wanted to try my hand at it. I even tried making a really simple "folding" chair (narrator voice: it doesn't really fold), but you can hardly see it in the photo.

18 hours ago, NOD said:

A great selection and a story to match.

Thanks, NOD! Glad you liked the story.

11 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

These are fantastic! A good cross-section of Monomonto forces in play. Excellent parts usage too. The shinobi are giving me an idea for this task, otherwise I got nothing at the moment. The New Style Corps and dour fellow in the center are really making it for me.

Yeah, definitely work out the shinobi idea. Go for it :thumbup:.

6 hours ago, Bodi said:

Nice combo, instantly recognizable and looks very convincing. Taketoshi-san is my favourite, seating in the middle with legs wide open, and I also like the fact that the shogun and his nephew are wearing two types of armours, of distinctive style, which reflects well the historic context, where tradition meets innovation. Good use of the starwars helmet too.

The western style armor was inspired by a picture I saw ages ago and which stuck with me. I just loved the juxtaposition of some so traditionally Japanese, infused with Western design. Apparently these types of armor are called 'nanban dou', so if you google that term, there are plenty of cool examples.

18 hours ago, Khorne said:

Apparently these types of armor are called 'nanban dou', so if you google that term, there are plenty of cool examples.

I googled searched with an alternative search engine that the legendary Takeda Shingen used to wear nanban dou too, I didn't know that.:pir-classic:

They are all unique and ooze personality! Plus, you always go that extra mile regarding artistic posing (I am looking at you cutthroat guy hiding behind those troops). The pose of the central samurai feels so iconic as others added!

Edited by blackdeathgr