evancelt

[COR-FB] Arrival on Arlintina

After being tasked by Brigadier Howe to establish a new settlement on Arlintina, Colonel Allcock headed east. Upon arrival at the southwest tip of the island, they spotted numerous coral reefs and the captain of the ship cautioned Allcock that moving closer to shore could be treacherous. So Allcock and a small group of soldiers rowed basic supplies to shore and established a camp for the night. One of the first courses of action was flying the red banner of Corrington.

arlintina-landing.jpg

-------

A small build to move along @Ayrlego's story where he will set up a new settlement on Arlintina

Details of the island:

Spoiler

Island Arlintina:

Geographical Features: Like most of its island neighbours, Arlintina features a central spine of mountains running roughly along the north to south axis. The southern coastline shares the dense mangrove swamps of the island's southern neighbour and these swamps graduate into open floodlands in the south eastern portion of the island. The western shoreline mainly consists of large sandy beaches and numerous coral reefs make navigating these coastal waters tricky.

Rumours: There are rumours of the ruins of an ancient port in one of the sheltered bays on the eastern coast. The open floodplains of the southeast would likely provide optimal conditions for sugar cane cultivation. Natives report geological conditions in the interior that geologists theorise may be ideal for mercury deposits.

Oooh. Very clever! Very nice SNOT base and the campsite is great! I hope you find that quick-silver, so the children may play with it. True story, here in the states, nearly everyone from before the '80s can tell you stories about breaking thermometers to play with the mercury inside. I think that explains some things... 

I gotta take a whack at a micro sometime. They look like a bunch of fun to build.

You're on a roll with these micro builds. This is another gorgeous scene you've built! So many cool details to look at. I especially like the wisp of smoke coming from the camp fire. Simple, yet very effective.

Nice and well built landscape, I especially like the trees. It was time that a settlement was built on the big island.

On 2/20/2022 at 8:28 AM, Jeff of Clubs said:

Oooh. Very clever! Very nice SNOT base and the campsite is great! I hope you find that quick-silver, so the children may play with it. True story, here in the states, nearly everyone from before the '80s can tell you stories about breaking thermometers to play with the mercury inside. I think that explains some things... 

I gotta take a whack at a micro sometime. They look like a bunch of fun to build.

Thanks! Yeah micros are pretty fun because you have to look at parts differently and there are only so many pieces / parts that are less than 1x1 across that can add textures

18 hours ago, NOD said:

Nice and well built landscape, I especially like the trees. It was time that a settlement was built on the big island.

Thanks yes I'm excited to see what Ayrlego does on Arlintina!

On 2/20/2022 at 9:16 AM, Khorne said:

You're on a roll with these micro builds. This is another gorgeous scene you've built! So many cool details to look at. I especially like the wisp of smoke coming from the camp fire. Simple, yet very effective.

Thanks Khorne! My favorite details on this one are the backward SNOT arch on the beach and the scroll bricks for walked-on sand. I was hoping the sideways door rail plates would be slightly lower profile to add some more complexity to the waves / back of the beach, but I guess it makes sense that the rail is 1 plate thick!

On 2/20/2022 at 9:43 AM, Professor Thaum said:

What a nice micro.

Some interesting ideas here.

Well thought.

Thanks Thaum!

8 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

Superb build, so many great details! I love the simple tents and smoke.

Thanks! Yeah I tried a few different tent techniques and this one was the best scale. I like how if the two cheese slopes are slightly offset it makes it look like the tent has two flaps.

Top notch micro here, love your design both for the beached boats and the one with the oars on the water!  Great little tents too--wisp of smoke, trees--all so good!

On 2/22/2022 at 12:58 PM, Brickwolf said:

Another great micro @evancelt!

On 2/23/2022 at 12:07 AM, blackdeathgr said:

Mini jungle vibe at its best! I really like the mini camp as well. Those tents and smoke are awesome!

On 2/24/2022 at 10:34 AM, Kai NRG said:

Top notch micro here, love your design both for the beached boats and the one with the oars on the water!  Great little tents too--wisp of smoke, trees--all so good!

On 2/24/2022 at 3:01 PM, Ross Fisher said:

I love this build. The style is very classy. You've made it your own. And the colour choices work so well. Good work!

Thanks guys! Looking forward to more Arlintina builds from @Ayrlego!