Railtobi

[MOC] The German BR 50 with Cab Tender+[IDEAS] need your support

Dear Lego fans, dear railway enthusiasts,
first of all I would like to introduce myself, my name is Tobi, I am 44 years old and I live at the town of Altena in North Rhine-Westphalia in Germany. Since 2010, the Lego virus has infected me again. My main interest lies in the subject of railways, whereby I mainly build steam locomotives!
Today I would like to introduce you to my latest model, the German BR 50 with cabin tender.
My version has a BR 52 boiler, large smoke deflectors and of course the great cabin tender. The BR 50 was used in this form in post-war Germany. Due to its maximum speed of 80km/h, the locomotive was used both in freight train service and in passenger train service.
My model consists of about 2000 parts, I have tried to include as many details as possible, such as the boiler rings, pipes, cylinders and much more. The model has a length of about 66 studs. Two Lego train engines can be installed intoย  the tender, but actually the model is more intended as a display model.
If you like the locomotive, I am of course happy about a support and a comment at Lego Ideas.

The German BR 50 with Cab Tender

Many greetings, yours Tobi

ย 

IMG_0348.JPG

Edited by Railtobi

That's a phenomenal introduction ! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Great detailing....

@Railtobiย welcome here to the world of LEGO trains at Eurobricks!ย 

And yes, you started here with a fantastic model of an iconic German steam engine!ย 

Thank you all vor your lovely comments. And always remember, this is perhaps a chance, to get the first Lego Ideas locomotive, so pleaseย supportย my project and show it to your families and friends, too!

ย 

Tobi

Edited by Railtobi

Many thanks, i've tried some new techniques, for example at the boiler Rings or the foot Bars at the bottom of the loco cabin.

The class 50 locomotives are beautiful, and the cabin tender is probably one of my favorites. :moar:

Great display model! :thumbup:

The only thing I don't like too much is the large smoke deflectors ... I prefer the hanging ones ... but that's just my preference.

Many train builders don't build the big deflectores, they are difficulty to build as thin as possible and with the 45ยฐ angle, but i needed the challenge. The cab tender and the boiler Rings were also tricky to build. But in the end, it was fun!

Edited by Railtobi

57 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The only thing I don't like too much is the large smoke deflectors

Same here.

However, when you do pre-war or wartime mocing you are "stuck" ;) with the large Wagner deflectors. I believe the smaller Witte deflectors were mounted on the many "remaining" BR50's after the war. As far as I can read (Wikipedia in German), the Kabinentender was also a postwar thing - but what do I know.

I'd say: Just go with the Witte deflectors and keep the tender as is = all is good.ย :pir-huzzah2:ย 

Best wishes,
Thorstenย 

Perhaps, i'll make an update with both deflector types optional and some new Details. To change the deflectores is the easiest thing. This one is the 50 2487, the only post-war 50 with tall deflectores, BR 52 boiler and the famous cabin tender. But after war, it was impossible to find two identically looking BR 50ies.

1 hour ago, Railtobi said:

But after war, it was impossible to find two identically looking BR 50ies.

Absolutely. I guess they were just happy with what was left over and did not care about any systematic numbering or build - but rather securing something to eat. At that point, things of interest change quite a bit, I believe.

Anyway - I simply like your MOC either way very much!

Best
Thorstenย 

Didn't the folks in the forum conclude that the Crocodile model a hybrid of two different real locomotives (Ce 6/8 II & Ce 6/8 III)? I don't think the folks at Lego will count rivets enough to care about the subtle distinctions here. Capturing the distinct features of the locomotive is potentially more important than actually capturing the look in a specific year.

ย 

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Didn't the folks in the forum conclude that the Crocodile model a hybrid of two different real locomotives (Ce 6/8 II & Ce 6/8 III)? I don't think the folks at Lego will count rivets enough to care about the subtle distinctions here. Capturing the distinct features of the locomotive is potentially more important than actually capturing the look in a specific year.

ย 

That's a good view, but nevertheless i think, it'll be also a good Idea, to make an Update with the Option of different deflectors! But the Most Importamt thing is, to support...

At the moment, i am working at an update for the loco. In future,there will be different options, to build the Modell:ย 

A: small deflectors/big deflectorsย 

B: tender with/without cabinย 

I think, everything will be ready till the end of march, then the update goes online.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by Railtobi

And Look at the Tender, so many details, but these two models are very different, mine is scale and Simon's is more brick-like. And my one uses the more simple boiler of the 52class.ย 

But the most Importamt topic: thank you!

Hey Folks, the engine has reached more than 3000 votes, don't stop supporting!

At the moment i am working on some changes , there will be the kink at the deflectors andย  the Option for smaller Witte-deflectors. I think at the end of march, it will be done!

ย