On 4/7/2023 at 3:00 AM, grum64 said:

I don’t have anywhere else, and with the finished model said to be 1m+ high I’m going to have nowhere to put it.

Can't go on the floor?

3 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Can't go on the floor?

There is already 42082 standing :laugh:

For those of us without a supported smartphone the Control+ stuff is just another PITA that has to be built around as well. At least that junk is relatively easy to sell but it adds to the cost and hassle of the set. Hopefully there's a decent supply of new truss/BUTPs* to offset that irritation. And ideally they will ship it without the drivetrain issues that made the Volvo dump truck such a disappointment. IMO that's likely to be driving the shift towards a less exaggeratedly oversize model as much as anything else. While AFOLs can get away with "it kind of moves, leaving behind a trail of shredded plastic" TLG should not be doing the same thing.

Size-wise I can just throw it in the middle of my train layout because I don't even try to pretend that that's a Lego City build. I have a slightly over-scale container crane that bridges 4 parallel tracks now and is 500mm high, adding a metre-high construction crane might actually fit the theme.

(* what's the unofficially official term for big single-purpose technic parts? "Yet Another Technic Mudguard"...)

So there is a low resolution picture that has leaked. It’s yellow and DBG and it looks absolutely massive. Part count can be confirmed as 2883.

2 minutes ago, LvdH said:

So there is a low resolution picture that has leaked. It’s yellow and DBG and it looks absolutely massive. Part count can be confirmed as 2883.

Yeah, that's consistent with its real-world appearance. You have a link?

To be honest, I think the Lego version of the crane barely looks like a Lr13000 apart from the counter weights and cab design. The proportions of everything else just looks awful. The tracks are the wrong shape, the superstructure is a disaster (no ballast), and the rear A frame is completely absent.

Photo of the real machine: liebherr-lr-13000-freigestellt-abgesofte

Edited by Addi498

The proportions look really toy-like and not much like a real crawler crane. I guess compromises in the proportions of the booms had to be made, but it really doesn't look like something for adults, more like something you'd find in the toddler section of a toy store. I guess that the booms could be extended though, so that the proportions would somewhat resemble a real crawler crane. While all models based on real world stuff have some compromises, most of the time they are much, much better at replicating the looks of the real thing.

Still reserving final judgement but perhaps this time TLG really bit more than they could chew.

The boom arrangement looks right to me.

LR-13000.jpg

Length is wrong though. Wrong amount of weights as well. Think those might've been victims of the downsizing.

Edited by Maaboo35

This feels like the UCS Hulkbuster all over again. The more I look at the set, the worse it gets. The rear counter weight tray is floating in mid air when it's supposed to be barely touching the ground. The derrick mast isn't actually long enough for the counterweight pendant bars to hang vertically, so beams are used to hold the tray away from the crane, which is unlike the real machine. Also, judging by the incredibly short jib struts, the configuration seems to be between SDWVB and SDWB.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Addi498

Not sure how I feel about the red sections of boom. I know they're accurate to some versions of the real thing, but I think a pure yellow boom would look better.

Well, a longer yellow boom anyways.

Seriously, chibi boom or what?

Edited by Maaboo35

Now I understand why the earlier leaker used the Look how they massacred my boy meme.

TLG really did massacre this thing!!!

I will try to shrink this set one day, to do the real LR13000 justice.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

If this is an accurate leak then this set is lost to me.  Agree to what has been said about too short derrick, incorrect proportions of the tracks, and so much more.  Superstructure proportions are so far off... I really do not know how Liebherr approved this.  

I have always preached the value of just buying Lego and modifying sets to make them more accurate.  But with the price tag where it is at this point that is a hard sell.  Because of all the work needed to improve the set and have it actually look like an LR 13000 I am not sure I would even buy it at half the cost.  

IMHO, this set is turning out to be one of the bigger disappointments, for Technic, that I can recall.  

2 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

IMHO, this set is turning out to be one of the bigger disappointments, for Technic, that I can recall.  

The upside is that 42070 will no longer be reviled as the worst set in the Technic modern age.

I don't understand why this set would be more expensive than the CAT. How many hubs and motors does it contain?

4 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

I don't understand why this set would be more expensive than the CAT.

None of us do.  But, mere speculation  suggests it is more than the electronics.  There reportedly are new elements for the lattice boom sections of the model that are quite large, perhaps robust with much ABS.  But still speculation at this point.  Read through the beginning of the thread for more details. 

Wait, this is the set everybody lost their minds about :laugh_hard:

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Length is wrong though. Wrong amount of weights as well. Think those might've been victims of the downsizing.

This is not downsizing, this is crippling. Maybe TLG want's us to buy 3 sets and then get at least the boom length right...

I mean I understand some decisions: Sprockets were raised to avoid the buckling, which could lead to tipping over. But why are the proportions so strange here?

7 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Sprockets were raised to avoid the buckling, which could lead to tipping over.

This will be TLG's defense.  All things relating to concerns of tipping over, safety, sets and parts breaking so they don't have to face the PR and customer service nightmare of replacement parts.  I get it from this business perspective.  I do.  

But it then begs the question if there is such a concern over safety, PR, customer service for broken parts, etc. then why attempt this build in the first place?  Given the TLG business footprint, legal, safety etc., concerns there may just be some builds/creations that are not advisable.  Like true RC cars would be.  I seriously think that this crane, given their business footprint is one of those builds that never was even a good idea to begin with.....

35 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Sprockets were raised to avoid the buckling, which could lead to tipping over.

Then how does the real crane avoid tipping over with that trapezoidal track shape?

That’s simply due to the physical limitations of the Lego system. If you were to make the entire track frame out of solid steel, then of course it would not buckle given that the metal is thick enough.

23 minutes ago, Addi498 said:

. If you were to make the entire track frame out of solid steel, then of course it would not buckle given that the metal is thick enough.

If the metal would be thicker you could build a real size one.

Aesthetics shmaesthetics, it's a bloody crawler crane so I can't really say I care too much about how the proportions. That being said it is a bit poopy that they're just using regular Technic tank treads here.

Lots of functions like in the real thing, but it's also in the huge luffing jib configuration which I really like. Until I see it though I refuse to believe they're charging $1000 AUD for this, because that would be hilariously catastrophic.

Edited by Bartybum

2 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

‘huge luffing jib configuration’

To be honest I wouldn’t really call it a ‘huge’ configuration because the real crane can be fitted with 92m of luffing jib (not including main boom) which would be over two meters long if the crane were to be 1/50 scale.