merman

Issue with UCS AT-AT!!!

Who exactly was blowing this out of proportion? Were people out there protesting in front of lego hq? Were they sending in anthrax in the mail? Because that's what it sounds like in here and on other fan sites.. Constantly jumping onto the hate train to defend corporations to no end is honestly one of the most pathetic things I've seen. News flash you are a customer.

Edited by Bobbtom

12 hours ago, Bobbtom said:

Who exactly was blowing this out of proportion?....

Well for starters, you.  LEGO HQ protests?  ANTHRAX?  I see you are a 'hyperbole man' yourself! :wink:

Now before you get your feathers all ruffled, I completely agree that tripping over ourselves to come running to the defense of a billion dollar corporation is kinda weak.  But damn!  Some of the melodramatic posts over in the Brickset comments (and to some degree in this thread) were so over-the-top alarmist that many people felt compelled to fire back.  I could paste a giant list of memorable (hilarious) quotes, but you read all six pages here, and the comments of THREE articles over at Brickset...right?

In the meantime, I'm rapidly flipping through chapter & verse of LEGO Common Law Volume I to find a certain passage: Thou Shalt Not Use Thine Own Fingernails.   After that search, I'll have to consult LEGO Tenets and Principles: A Behavioral Framework.  And I really hope little Timmy's Christmas isn't ruined because of this FATAL DESIGN ERROR.  Ugh, I just threw up a little.  Also, it sounds like some are just refusing to open their AT-AT sets on principle alone!  This is the language being tossed around - I'm not exaggerating.  But you know, cuz you read all of it.

Finally, I put myself to the test and selected the six infamous parts in question.  I assembled them into the Impossibility Puzzle, then took it all apart - about 5 times in a row.  It was actually a bit anticlimactic - I was getting myself all ready for a fight!  Nah, The Henrik Maneuver works just fine.  Yikes!

54 minutes ago, lowlead said:

Well for starters, you.  LEGO HQ protests?  ANTHRAX?  I see you are a 'hyperbole man' yourself! :wink:

Now before you get your feathers all ruffled, I completely agree that tripping over ourselves to come running to the defense of a billion dollar corporation is kinda weak.  But damn!  Some of the melodramatic posts over in the Brickset comments (and to some degree in this thread) were so over-the-top alarmist that many people felt compelled to fire back.  I could paste a giant list of memorable (hilarious) quotes, but you read all six pages here, and the comments of THREE articles over at Brickset...right?

In the meantime, I'm rapidly flipping through chapter & verse of LEGO Common Law Volume I to find a certain passage: Thou Shalt Not Use Thine Own Fingernails.   After that search, I'll have to consult LEGO Tenets and Principles: A Behavioral Framework.  And I really hope little Timmy's Christmas isn't ruined because of this FATAL DESIGN ERROR.  Ugh, I just threw up a little.  Also, it sounds like some are just refusing to open their AT-AT sets on principle alone!  This is the language being tossed around - I'm not exaggerating.  But you know, cuz you read all of it.

Finally, I put myself to the test and selected the six infamous parts in question.  I assembled them into the Impossibility Puzzle, then took it all apart - about 5 times in a row.  It was actually a bit anticlimactic - I was getting myself all ready for a fight!  Nah, The Henrik Maneuver works just fine.  Yikes!

*golfclap*

Wow, they actually made a video addressing it. Still missed one of the building steps that was causing concern though.

Done and dusted I guess. Still don’t think that build should’ve made it into the final set, just another example of how LEGO’s quality control is slowly slipping. 

39 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Wow, they actually made a video addressing it. Still missed one of the building steps that was causing concern though.

Done and dusted I guess. Still don’t think that build should’ve made it into the final set, just another example of how LEGO’s quality control is slowly slipping. 

1: Which building step? They covered all of the ones I was aware of when I built it - ok maybe that one where the counter part to the trouble part but that's an easy to resolve one without any damage what-so-ever.

2: The video justifies there was no quality control concerns in the first place. The designer himself posted that video - I see this as a case closed situation. Obviously we didn't think of these solutions ourselves and over-reacted.

Granted - always room for improvement - but judgement on this situation is clear cut. They did their job.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, Kage Goomba said:

Which building step? 

Book 2, page 34, step 281. Granted taking this one apart is about as difficult as the other assemblies, but the point still stands. 

5 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Book 2, page 34, step 281. Granted taking this one apart is about as difficult as the other assemblies, but the point still stands. 

That's nothing......not even close to a problem.

I have a pair of metal needle sharp nose tweezers I use to help with LED Kits - with a little silcone/rubber cap to keep me from jabbing myself when I store it.

Like 2-5 bucks at a hardware store.

Just shove the capped tweezer tip in and pull while rubbing the inside of the shaft - pops right out.

No damage no fuss no issue. Might be able to figure something out with what you got there if you get the idea.

Edited by Kage Goomba

On 12/25/2021 at 5:48 AM, Brikkyy13 said:

Oh, that shouldn't be a problem at all. The new 3L technic pin (added Book 2 step 280) is apparently designed so that if you insert a bar into it (e.g. lightsaber blade), then you can pull the bar and the pin will slide right out.

4 hours ago, NathanR said:

Oh, that shouldn't be a problem at all. The new 3L technic pin (added Book 2 step 280) is apparently designed so that if you insert a bar into it (e.g. lightsaber blade), then you can pull the bar and the pin will slide right out.

That would be the alternate option. ;) (pretty sure you have an extra spare as I did)

I have built my AT-AT now using my "fix"

I can see why they chose the method they did to assemble the legs in that way. My method does have very simple disassembly but getting the elements to stay in place while attaching the legs took a little bit of extra work.

I had to add a temporary yellow bush to keep the sub assembly in place while I mounted it on to the body

xNqtkpU.jpg

I then had to remove that bush and attach the other liftarm with one hand while keeping the axle sub assembly pushed into place.

2PbkQiH.jpg

The final result looks fine and dis-assembly will be easy to do but it was definitely fiddly to accomplish. 

tgM5KpJ.jpg

After seeing the video with the "supposed issue" its really a non event.  He just proved it.  Not sure why people are spitting their dummies out the pram.  If you don't like the default method to build, change it, its not like its an impossible feat.

Edited by Ether

Manglerat that duplo build puts most schoolie RV conversions to shame!

way to lighter things up.

Edited by Canuck33