merman

Issue with UCS AT-AT!!!

11 minutes ago, azzer86 said:

Out of curiosity, what do people do with string and tying knots etc (Sandcrawler crane and Death Star lift). Do you cut the string to fully dissemble it by somehow untying the tiny knots? (Or am I doing it wrong)

I usually dismantle as much as I can and leave the minimal affected pieces still built - shrug my shoulders and forget about it. Sounds like a similar thing?

I can get why people react the way they do about not being able to disassemble parts - but the string bit?

Now you've got me wondering about this too lmao.

Personally? I don't care. I'd not cut the string - but preserve it personally. If I can't untie it - then its going to be stored with whatever its attached too which is likely a single stud part.
My AT-AT finally arrived so I'll be able to have a on hands experience about this mess and I'll know for sure.

So now that I got my hands on this thing.

I can see why it would anger people.

Not that its worth losing your head over this.

Sent an inquiry to Lego - a very carefully worded one - I'll have to wait and see what they say.

There doesn't seem to be a catch point to pull the capped axel out - even with my needle nose tweezers. I don't have a rubber nosed pliers set - ill be going to the hardware store to snoop around for a set. Fears of damage are ever increasing even with the ideas that have been suggested.

Also leaving out the green shaft part may allow it to slip right out on its own with enough pressure from the orange linker.

It really is quite maddening why they chose this route - speaking from an educational mindset here. I have to say this must be an oversight on QA's part.

Again - not going to demand anything or send back my "200 USD" valued Lightsaber there abouts. (woah).

In the end If I end up using this component - It won't be the end of the world if I can't take it a part. Replacement parts would be penny's on the dollar as it is...if not free.

Far worse things to to stress over. :P

Gotta say tho - so far its been one hell of a trip to build this thing - very impressive so far.

I just finished building mine and this thing is a monster. I can’t get over how overwhelmingly in the room it is. I have built some great models In my collection but for wow factor This is really up there with the falcon

2 hours ago, LDigital said:

I just finished building mine and this thing is a monster. I can’t get over how overwhelmingly in the room it is. I have built some great models In my collection but for wow factor This is really up there with the falcon

I'm naming mine "Spike" :)

Started building mine today.  I'm going to have a lot of fun modding this one; the legs especially are going to provide a challenge. 

20 hours ago, LDigital said:

I've been looking at mine sat in it's box since Saturday. I'm wondering how long I can resist before I start on it. 

On the thread subject, has anyone come up with any other solutions to the rogue assembly now that they actually have the set in hand?

Is the main issue trying to stop the orange pin from being pushed into the assembly when you attach the lift arm on the outside?

I've had another look at another possible solution, this time using as many of the pieces included with the set as possible.

G1ygpMU.png

Replace the orange pin with a 3L blue pin as before. Use the same 2L Red Axle and connectors included in the original assembly. Instead of using the LBG 4L axle with stop, use a 3L Axle with stop instead. 

When you remove the blue pin, you'll be able to push the brown axle with stop out as there is a small ridge on the inside of the LBG connector..

The only potential downfall to this method is that the 3L Axle is only available in Reddish Brown. Have Lego fixed the issue of elements of this colour being brittle? According to news sources they say they have but in reality is this true? 

Edited by SquirrelArmy

That solution would work

its not visible and only serves as a block to essentially stop the rectangle from coming off the turntable pins. I don’t think you need to worry about the strength of the axle. Any axle that size could do it

the blue/orange part is essential as it locks the entire leg to the body with the 2l lift arm. Without this you would have legs popping off 

Edited by LDigital

Lego Corp got back to me this morning.

profile_mask2.png

LEGO logo  
CUSTOMER SERVICE
Call us toll-free:
LEGO® Shop: (800) 453-4652
Customer Service: (800) 835-4386

Or find out more on LEGO.com/service
  Sophia.png

Dear <REDACTED>,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I am glad that you are building the super Star Wars™ AT-AT™, so cool!

About your enquiry, this is something that is being discussed with the quality department.

I wouldn't remove it for now, and if for some reason you need new parts we can absolutely send it to you.

I am sorry that we don't have an answer at this time, but we are looking into it :)

May the force be with you,<REDACTED>!

Getting them to acknowledge they got an issue is a step forward. Thought I might share this.

As to what I said to them when I submitted the form:

I recently - proudly - acquired the Lego Star Wars UCS AT-AT Imperial Walker set. (#75313)
I've noticed you have something rather strange in your instructions.
Book 1 (Box1) - Page 90 Step 131
You have a step here that (semi?)permanently a 4 stud long capped axle into a green shaft and ultimately the Axel joiner.
There's no obvious way to remove these components without damaging the product.
Is this intentional or an error?
Thanks.

In case anyone has doubts.

Edited by Kage Goomba

43 minutes ago, LDigital said:

That solution would work

its not visible and only serves as a block to essentially stop the rectangle from coming off the turntable pins. I don’t think you need to worry about the strength of the axle. Any axle that size could do it

the blue/orange part is essential as it locks the entire leg to the body with the 2l lift arm. Without this you would have legs popping off 

I'm not sure about trusting a £700 set staying upright based on some used parts which may or may not fail.

I did see a suggestion earlier about using a 5L axle but it didn't solve the issue but it got me thinking what is the largest axle with stop available. 

AuAUvhl.png

An 8 long axle with stop is readily available and cheap. Added a few spacers and a different connecting liftarm with an axle hole and I believe the issue is solved. The axle won't be pushed out as once this assembly is attached to the main body there seems to be a brick stopping it from being pushed so Lego's design seems to be a bit unnecessary.

I've ordered the parts above and will build it in this configuration and will see how well it holds together. 

4 hours ago, SquirrelArmy said:

I'm not sure about trusting a £700 set staying upright based on some used parts which may or may not fail.

While it's true that reddish brown parts are sometimes brittle (as are dark red and a few other colors), I have never heard of an axle or anything else failing under normal load like that. The only parts that I've observed to regularly break are tiles and occasionally plates, and that's only when they're being disassembled and never with pieces that're less than ten years old. I don't think that a reddish brown axle failing in this circumstance is a significant concern. Trust your own instincts, of course, but as somebody who has broken quite a number of pieces over the years, this isn't a situation I would worry about.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

24 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

While it's true that reddish brown parts are sometimes brittle (as are dark red and a few other colors), I have never heard of an axle or anything else failing under normal load like that. The only parts that I've observed to regularly break are tiles and occasionally plates, and that's only when they're being disassembled and never with pieces that're less than ten years old. I don't think that a reddish brown axle failing in this circumstance is a significant concern. Trust your own instincts, of course, but as somebody who has broken quite a number of pieces over the years, this isn't a situation I would worry about.

^This - Always inspect your parts if your concerned - should be very obvious if you have a weak part or other issues.

Only parts I've seen snap are things like 1 stud hooks or linkers collapsing...never an axle in my entire life time.
And wear and tear aside - its how you treat your legos that ultimately determines lifespan.

I think the Plastic composition of axles is different to that of plates and tiles. Nothing to back that up but they feel different 

Ok you guys want to talk issues?

The feet are wrong - the toes are supposed to be loose like a birds claw - they flip flop down then flex straight out when it hits the ground.

Now THAT is worthy of drama.

:P (Pretty sure a clever modder will fix that)

11 hours ago, LDigital said:

I think the Plastic composition of axles is different to that of plates and tiles. Nothing to back that up but they feel different 

You can get axles in a hard rubber rather than ABS plastic. Even the standard ABS axles do feel a little different.

Likely already mentioned but I found a 2nd issue for sure.

atat281.png

Mentioned this to Lego and they acknowledged it.

Also the 4 brown axle pins to hold the body to the legs - yeah.

I left each of these with a tiny bit sticking out - enough for needle nose tweezers to snag.

As for the 281 - in truth a rubber tipped something is enough to coax it out if needed.

def. awkward to be sure.

But not a deal breaker - this things been a joy - also when you attach the legs - don't do it upside down - bad idea. @.@ (don't ask)

That one looks much worse than it actually is. Shove a lightsaber blade inside the gray pin and you should be able to pull the pin out easily.Admittedly I haven't got my AT-AT yet but I have tried it on the same gray pin in Vader's meditation chamber.

Edited by 1340cc

38 minutes ago, 1340cc said:

That one looks much worse than it actually is. Shove a lightsaber blade inside the gray pin and you should be able to pull the pin out easily.Admittedly I haven't got my AT-AT yet but I have tried it on the same gray pin in Vader's meditation chamber.

Yep - unlike the main "Drama" generator - this one has a hole you can shove something into and coax out with various methods with little to no damage.

Also my suggestion to "leave the green shaft" out - is very...risky - but the design on this AT-AT is very rigid overall - so jury's still out on that.

This is going to be a #### to LED out - that's for sure.

is this still about the fact that you cann't build it apart again?

If it is - there were sets which you could put apart but due to the structure it was super hard to do. What difference does it make then?

^^ Good question.  Where was all the hair on fire outrage before this?  It's almost as if some people are tripping over themselves to find fault in this set because they 'can't afford it'...even though many annual LEGO budgets probably far exceed 1000 bucks, but it's spread out over time.

If I were in the cash challenged category - loving this set as much as I do - I would just put the damn thing on a credit card and focus to pay it off in a few months.  Worth the effort if you ask me.

not defending the problem, but considering how for so long they apparently weren't making this set due to stability and structure issues, I can't say I'm surprised that the construction has a few of these hiccups now that they've finally done it

1 hour ago, AIex said:

not defending the problem, but considering how for so long they apparently weren't making this set due to stability and structure issues, I can't say I'm surprised that the construction has a few of these hiccups now that they've finally done it

That and they openly admitted (at least to me) they messed up. Will in as so far that QA is reviewing it.

For a 7-8000 piece set - they where bound to miss a couple of things that most people wouldn't stop and consider.

I for one am very pleased with it thus far.

3 hours ago, AIex said:

Yet another good point.

If I were given the choice, I would prefer that LEGO bend their own 'rules' a little bit if it means they could bring this set to market under their remaining standards.  They were already forgiven the moment I finished the walker and stared in amazement at this giant thing on my kitchen counter.

I absolve you, LEGO.  

Tip : to remove the capped axles to free the main body - double sided 3M Adhesive tape is perfect for the job.

I needed to figure this out so I can LED up my AT-AT very soon.