Sign in to follow this  
Thirdwigg

[TC20] 8854 Power Crane Update (Free Instructions)

4 hours ago, Seasider said:

@Thirdwigg that’s the first time I’ve heard my username be used to describe a process. Glad it’s a good one 🤣

It should be helpful to get some of the final details to square well. But it may take a little bit to get there; I'm running out of that.

OK, I built 8854 in Studio, and it looks fine. I didn't spend any time on the hoses.

800x600.png

Next I stared the 8854 Update, and so far I only have the axles as shown below.

800x600.png

Below, with the Trans Dark Blue 8854 overlay. It doesn't show much yet, but hopefully it will soon. Also, maybe I need to use regular Trans-Blue.

Also, somehow I took out the boom. I'll fix that next time.

800x600.png

I am going to work on the rear of the truck tonight, and more on the Studio file tomorrow. Working faster now.....

Looks nice and clean so far. I like your use of panels but if you’re going for replication I think you need to slope the bonnet more

I really like your design (more than the original). Yes, it is slightly different in the tilt of the hood, but it is still recognizable

Alright, I am finally happy with the cab.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:11 AM, Seasider said:

Looks nice and clean so far. I like your use of panels but if you’re going for replication I think you need to slope the bonnet more

Yeah, I had to keep the panels.

I chose to slope the bonnet more, and flatten out the A Pilars a little more. The A Pillar is too steep on 8854 to my eyes, so this is a good compromise for me.

Here they are compared. 

800x600.png

And as an overlay.

800x600.png

You can see the difference in the slopes. Also, you will note the roof is longer, and the bonnet lower on the update. Again, I think this works to my eyes, but I guess I'm not voting on this....

My progress on the Studio file will move more quickly now as the final hard part is done. I'll do a couple more comparison shots as I finalize the build, and post the whole thing soon.

But I'm voting; looks much better. I can hardly wait to see build in real bricks.

5 hours ago, 1gor said:

But I'm voting; looks much better. I can hardly wait to see build in real bricks.

Soon. I have it built IRL right next to me, but my photography studio is off-line this weekend. I'll show it soon.

A little more time in studio tonight, and I have managed to finish the boom of the crane. I think I'm done for tonight.

800x600.png

800x600.png

Edited by Thirdwigg
typo

I’ve always wanted to get this set when I was a kid because of the looks and pneumatic elements. Now with the studless twin, I might finally be able to do so. It looks awesome and very clean.

Edited by emielroumen
Typo

I know you are using the 69x28 wheels from the batmoblie. But could you do a rendering with the 62.4 x 20 wheels as I feel the width of the 28 wheel is throwing off the width proportions of the cab. 

Kind regards matt 

I spent 30 minutes tonight finalizing a couple parts on the real build. The rear outriggers are final, which means I was able to finalize the rear frame. The fuel tank is in, as is the exhaust. I'll convert all these parts into the studio file tomorrow, and share another update.

The final part is the boom mount, and how it connects to the turntable. I have a simple mockup that I have used since the beginning, but it needs some cleaning up. Then I'm done.

@emielroumen, I'll post the file, and make instructions when I am done. Give me a week, and you can build your own.

@brickless_kiwi, no problem and see below. The file is still incomplete, but I'm sure you get the idea. Does this help?

800x600.png

11 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

@emielroumen, I'll post the file, and make instructions when I am done. Give me a week, and you can build your own.

No rush, I most likely will need to source parts first! Something for a rainy day later this year.

Alright, I'm done with the build. The video is done, and I'll post photos when I have a little more time today.

Instructions are about 60% done, but will be available soon.

Edited by Thirdwigg

Looks really nice. Can you make photos with 62.4 tires? From that angle in video it looks like tires are a bit to big

@1gor I'll shoot a photo tonight. I don't have Yellow 62.4 wheels, so the DBG may have to be enough.

Below is the final Studio File over the original build (TransBlue).

51352254309_ea14ffa9f9_b.jpg

Final design showing the suspension.

51352470935_2b73292a2e_b.jpg

Here is the working I4 Engine.

51351453381_5e63314887_b.jpg

The rear of the Truck.

51352193114_22fd5d8d85_b.jpg

The crane fully extended.

51351678458_413842c12c_b.jpg

Here is the chassis.

51350719682_f6ea93bbee_b.jpg

I understand; yellow was available in only one set and it was extraordinary expensive in bricklink...

Looking forward to see it. As I mentioned (in one another topic) this is one of my 3 favorites.

57 minutes ago, 1gor said:

I understand; yellow was available in only one set and it was extraordinary expensive in bricklink...

Looking forward to see it. As I mentioned (in one another topic) this is one of my 3 favorites.

Super! Just remember that when you go to Vote. :classic:

Yeah, I made a decision very early on that I would use the Batmobile tires instead of the 62.4 as I did not have them in Yellow (a must for 8854), and I wasn't willing to purchase four new wheels.

Amazing build - simple and complex at the same time.

Really cool that you could even fit a working engine in front over the axle with suspension. Talking about suspension - I'm having hard time finding where are the shocks in this build.

59 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Really cool that you could even fit a working engine in front over the axle with suspension. Talking about suspension - I'm having hard time finding where are the shocks in this build.

It's a walking beam style suspension. The front is linked to the back.

1 minute ago, brickless_kiwi said:

I'm even more curious now to see how this is assembled. The instruction isn't live yet (or am I missing something?)

48 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

I'm even more curious now to see how this is assembled. The instruction isn't live yet (or am I missing something?)

No your not missing anything. Instructions have not been released. Mr Thirdwig mentioned the system in a previous post. However have a look at madoca jeep for a good example of how it works 

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-8863/Madoca1977/jeep-wrangler/#details

@1gor Below is a photo with the 62.4 wheels. You can tell me what you think before I share my opinion of them....

800x600.jpg

5 hours ago, SaperPL said:

In retrospect, I think I spent too much time on the front end working on the suspension, and not enough time on the cab. Either way, I'm happy I included that feature, and the engine.

The suspension uses no shocks. 

4 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

This is exactly right. See below on the instructions. Rear is left, front is right.

The highlighted liftarms on both sides link the axles on both side. The 2L Pin with Hole is the pivot, and the 2L Rubber Connectors allow for two axis flex between the liftarms and the axle frames. 

800x565.png

@SaperPL I am finalizing the instructions now, but the Studio file with Steps is complete, so if you want that for the time being, send me a PM, and I'll send it your way.

What I especially like of this model is that you kept the "toy-like" look, as the original one. Looks like a vintage toy built with modern elements. Great job!

Honestly 62.4 IMHO fit better because it looks to me that 68.7 tires are a bit to big when compared to vehicle width

But it looks great also with 68.7 tires

Edited by 1gor
Autocorrect issues

3 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

@SaperPL I am finalizing the instructions now, but the Studio file with Steps is complete, so if you want that for the time being, send me a PM, and I'll send it your way.

Thanks, but I'm good with this image.  Wow, I never thought about suspension working like this. I mean I've seen axles connected by levers like in the yellow 6 wheeler that's in the contest, but I didn't think about connecting it this way. That's a new one for me. Thanks for explanation - I shall build something like this :D

I think both sizes fit well, as even the original Unimogs had 'unusual' big tires in some variants:

-dKZ7iWydYZiiAUfFU4ZnQUpqGVdcLD4_5g4MHcN

Edited by Jundis