Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

1 minute ago, PGBQW said:

They canceled the Lost tomb set now!

“Whoops, we weren’t meant to reveal these!”

The Tomb is $40? Awesome. Getting that instead of the plane.

Official images are cool, sure. But that temple of doom statement... ugh. I wish they'd at least say WHY they got rid of it, because them not saying it makes me think it's some stupid reason they don't want to admit to the public.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

3 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

They canceled the Lost tomb set now!

This blurb is from that set‘s description, so of course the set doesn‘t refer to itself :tongue: Unless you‘re just poking fun at it, in which case you can ignore that statement :laugh:

Ashnflash has been allowed to show the temple of doom by Lego weirdly.

I still think it could just be pushed back, otherwise why would Lego allow leaked images to be shown?

Edited by Whovastron

3 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Ashnflash has been allowed to show the temple of doom by Lego weirdly

It is so weird, especially sense they gave him that non-statement to say. As he points out in the video, the statement literally tells us nothing. We know no more about the set and why it was cancelled or delayed than we did before it.

I find it hard to believe the DoD sets would be cancelled. Considering the new movie is probably the main reason we are getting sets anyway.

Just now, ChiefPie said:

I find it hard to believe the DoD sets would be cancelled. Considering the new movie is probably the main reason we are getting sets anyway.

I also used to find it hard to believe that Lucasfilm would cancel more than 10 Star Wars films in such a short timeframe, yet here we are :tongue: I just cannot get excited for anything with that logo on it anymore unless it‘s literally in front of me.

This now extends to Indy even

20 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Ashnflash has been allowed to show the temple of doom by Lego weirdly.

I still think it could just be pushed back, otherwise why would Lego allow leaked images to be shown?

Brickset have as well. In fact, they state that Fan Media have been explicitly given permission to share it.

I’d argue the opposite - if the set is never set to release, then there’s no reason for Lego to want it hidden

Edited by sammy_zammy

2 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

I’d argue the opposite - if the set is never set to release, then there’s no reason for Lego to want it hidden

Other than to give bootleggers the perfect sketch they can freely steal now :laugh_hard:

FWIW, I’m sure instructions will be put on Rebrickable in no time, and we do have the old minifigs (minus the Maharajah).

1 minute ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Other than to give bootleggers the perfect sketch they can freely steal now :laugh_hard:

I mean, if it was never released by Lego, I can’t blame people if they bought a knock off!

Edited by sammy_zammy

2 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

and we do have the old minifigs (minus the Maharajah).

Except they aged like fine milk on a hot day in the Sahara :tongue:

58 minutes ago, Lemerbrix said:

You know, I'm not even sure if the revival of indy is good or not, it just doesn't seem to be going good for LEGO 

I think Indiana Jones as a whole should not be a LEGO theme, and I'm honestly surprised they bothered trying to bring it back (surprised it happened in the first place a decade ago tbh) considering how controversial the subject matter of those films is (Nazis as toys....just a hard no, then there are the racist stereotypes, amongst a whole slew of other things)

After a member of LEGO LAN just posted that the statement that DoD might not come never existed, there is now no argument for doubting the apparition even if they did end up not coming after all.

We'll see if DoD sets come, I just still don't know what should make us doubt it.

As for the selection of the supposed "iconic" scenes, I was confused both in 2008/2009 and last summer and now.

There would be so many scenes to create sets with play features from, even in ToD, consider the scene with the bugs, the mummies/skeletons in the wall, the falling ceiling with the spikes, or just the cart ride with the Pursuit and the flooded tunnel, the jump from the plane with a dinghy and much more. In all of these scenes, no reference to a cult or religion would have been included in the set.

The fact that LEGO released the set in 2008/2009 shouldn't be forgotten either.

Actually, the original scheme would have fit, to warm up the market as a fan service for each film, a set for each film, except for part 4, many can understand that and then to DoD with full power into the market.

So each film would have had a set, the main film 4 sets.

If the series and/or the film is a success, maybe a third wave in the fall or next year.

I cannot understand why people are already saying that the topic is not successful, although it is only officially listed at LEGO today, and all reviews of the leaked copies are exclusively positive, with the exception of the criticism regarding the stickers.

But maybe I'm just too stupid for that

56 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The Tomb is $40? Awesome. Getting that instead of the plane.

Do both, old man.

57 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

But that temple of doom statement... ugh. I wish they'd at least say WHY they got rid of it, because them not saying it makes me think it's some stupid reason they don't want to admit to the public.

They're embarrased to say they actually forgot there they stored the sets and now they can't find them.

48 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Brickset have as well. In fact, they state that Fan Media have been explicitly given permission to share it.

If it’s not coming They’d try and bury the leak surely, so they aren’t lambasted with people asking where the set they’ve seen it.

I would wager at this point that Lego themselves aren’t sure if it’s coming or not, with previous cancelled/delayed sets, Lego have outright said what the deal is, but here they’re so vague that I think they might just not be sure yet

23 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

If it’s not coming They’d try and bury the leak surely, so they aren’t lambasted with people asking where the set they’ve seen it.

I would wager at this point that Lego themselves aren’t sure if it’s coming or not, with previous cancelled/delayed sets, Lego have outright said what the deal is, but here they’re so vague that I think they might just not be sure yet

Maybe they’re seeing all the backlash and are scrambling to release it now as a D2C?

indianajonessets.jpg

Now that LEGO officially announced the sets on their website I want to share the minifig change I wish they did. 
The hat and shoes. The fedora on the new mold uses a cowboy round top crown and does not sink inward in the center like the original fedora. The pinch is wider apart as well. Since they were creating a mold that probably will be used elsewhere this makes sense, but honestly the money should have been spent ensuring the mold fits the theme it was from. 

With simple adjustments in photoshop I made a new hat correctly proportioned to something similar to Raiders and Temple. The pinch in Raiders is very tiht and may break or snap on lego molds so I kept it the same distance as the original fedora. The fedora needs to be vertical even with the ribbon. Based on the dimensions of the new hat, I do not know if I could stretch the hat by heating it. May attempt this concept.

The shoes could have been done with painting them, not necessarily duel molding. I saw somewhere a person cut off the feet of minifigs and swap other feet on them using heat or ABS cement. Neat concept, doubt its easy to do for LEGO since its lower than the boot area for molding. Would introduce a wold of a difference having shoe duel molds. 

lego_indiana_fedora_fix_01.jpglego_indiana_fedora_fix_02.jpg

Edited by cehnot

So, uh... remember last week when I said "at least next week the reveal will finally give us answers"? Yeah, that was optimisticc, wasn't it?

I'm glad to hear about the good prices on the three sets we're getting, but the Temple of Doom situation continues to stymie me. If their goal was to imply the set is just delayed, they did a terrible job of it considering that LAN members are taking their statement to report on the set being cancelled. If their goal was to confirm that the set's been cancelled, they did an EVEN WORSE job of it considering the vague wording of the statement, the references to it in set descriptions, customer service being left high and dry, etc. I mean, considering they told LAN members to use the ToD leaked picture when reporting on the set being cancelled, it honestly seems they were trying to make sure as many people know about the set and are as disappointed and mad as possible!

And that was when it hit me.

My friends, what you are about to read is almost certainly entirely false. It is the final desperate grasp of a man who is running on 85 minutes of sleep and has taken a lethal amount of copium over the last few weeks :pir-huzzah1:. There is a 99% chance that nothing I am about to say is remotely correct. But, dare I say that trusting in 1% chances is what life is all about. So sit back, take a sip from your nonexistent LEGO Holy Grail, and allow me to learn you something.

ahem *puts on tinfoil hat*

So, flash back a few months. LEGO decides to shelve the 77014 Temple of Doom set - we know this to be the case because it's been confirmed the set wasn't shown at Nuremberg Toy Fair. We don't know why it was shelved - a structural flaw, doubts on how well it would sell, Lucasfilm not thinking the minecart sequence is an "iconic scene" (which is absolute bullsh!t), LEGO not wanting to release a set based on a movie that features outdated and offensive stereotypical depictions of white women, etc. The reason doesn't really matter. Whether the set was just delayed or outright cancelled is equally irrelevant. All that matters is that it was decided the Temple of Doom would not release on April 1 with the other sets.

And then the leak happened, and everyone got various levels of hyped for a new Temple of Doom set. And then we learned the set wasn't coming, and there was backlash from all fronts: LAN members, hardcore fans, even randos who just wanted a cool Indy LEGO set. And LEGO saw it all.

Now, let me tell you something about the LEGO Group. Do they care about the fans? Sure. Do they care about making a good product? Of course. Do they care about sticking to their internal rules and values? On occasion. But there is one mistress the LEGO Group follows above all others: MONEY. LEGO's only real goal is to release products that sell. And they know that releasing a set that fans demand results in a massive windfall: Just look at the 501st Battle Pack, or the AT-TE with Cody. And here is a fan uproar bigger than either of those.

What I am proposing is that, regardless of what happened behind the scenes with 77014 originally, LEGO now has full plans to release the set in some form in time. They saw the backlash to the rumors of the set's cancellation and are now intentionally stoking it so that in a few months when they announce the set they can claim they brought it out "because of fan demand" and make an absolute boatload off of it. It's the only explanation that makes sense - why their statement is so ludicrously vague and nonsensical, why the set is still referenced on the site, why Target's computers show there's supposed to be a set between 77013 (IP4-2) and 77015 (IP4-4) even though they didn't go up on the site until after the ToD would have been shelved, why customer service wasn't given any info, why LAN is being told to use the leaked picture to show off the cancelled set, everything.

(Or maybe LEGO is just incompetent I dunno :wacko:)

Brickset is saying that the Temple of Doom was displayed at the Nuremburg Toy Fair. Under their article about the ToD, they state that "Perhaps more important is considering how the set could reach such a late stage in production and be displayed at Nuremberg Toy Fair in February, only to be cancelled before the release in April." Can anyone potentially elaborate on this subject?

Maybe they'll rework the Temple of Doom as an 18+ set and release it as a follow up to the Temple of the Golden Idol next year. That could be a way to keep the series running a bit longer after the hype for the 5th film has passed and the waves of standard sets have come and gone. Three or four 18+ sets over the next three or four years would be most welcomed.

First post on this site, hi. I just wanted to get my two cents in. I think everyone is giving Lego way too much hate for their treatment of these products. We were judging them two months early or so based on leaks that were never even supposed to see the light of day in the first place, and to top it off NO ONE has any actual idea what is happening with ToD besides Lego themselves. Leakers have been wrong and right 100 times before, and the only site that has been right most of the time, Promobricks, only knew as much as we did, that it was either canceled or delayed. Lego also made the statement regarding ToD completely ambigious on purpose, and when you compare that to their statement regarding the Osprey it was absolutely clear that the Osprey was cancelled, and they said it was cancelled. Here, they just said they "decided to optimize the launch," no more, no less. 

This also goes for the DoD sets as well, no one knows what is clearly happening at all. It would make perfect sense for them to hold back on releasing them or announcing them as the movie hasn't come out yet and won't be in theaters for another 4 months or so, and this is knowing that Disney and Lucasfilm want to highly guard the film's plot as this is Harrison's Ford last outing as Indiana Jones. I'm thinking that if the DoD sets ever did release, they were only taken off of retailer's lists because Lucasfilm told Lego to hold off on announcing them. We should all stop blasting Lego and just be grateful and positive for the amazing sets we did get, being negative is just bad for everyone. 

Also, someone contacted Lego's customer service about 77014, they said that they didn't have a release date for it yet, and when they were asked about if it was canceled, they just said they had heard nothing about cancellation. So, I'm willing to bet that Lego just delayed the release of ToD to restructure it or rework it and release it later. It would make sense why Lego said they were "consolidating" the launch. This is probably one of the only times where I think that that the general consensus on a set is wrong, I'm 90 percent sure this set is delayed. 

link to customer service photos

34 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

So, uh... remember last week when I said "at least next week the reveal will finally give us answers"? Yeah, that was optimisticc, wasn't it?

I'm glad to hear about the good prices on the three sets we're getting, but the Temple of Doom situation continues to stymie me. If their goal was to imply the set is just delayed, they did a terrible job of it considering that LAN members are taking their statement to report on the set being cancelled. If their goal was to confirm that the set's been cancelled, they did an EVEN WORSE job of it considering the vague wording of the statement, the references to it in set descriptions, customer service being left high and dry, etc. I mean, considering they told LAN members to use the ToD leaked picture when reporting on the set being cancelled, it honestly seems they were trying to make sure as many people know about the set and are as disappointed and mad as possible!

And that was when it hit me.

My friends, what you are about to read is almost certainly entirely false. It is the final desperate grasp of a man who is running on 85 minutes of sleep and has taken a lethal amount of copium over the last few weeks :pir-huzzah1:. There is a 99% chance that nothing I am about to say is remotely correct. But, dare I say that trusting in 1% chances is what life is all about. So sit back, take a sip from your nonexistent LEGO Holy Grail, and allow me to learn you something.

ahem *puts on tinfoil hat*

So, flash back a few months. LEGO decides to shelve the 77014 Temple of Doom set - we know this to be the case because it's been confirmed the set wasn't shown at Nuremberg Toy Fair. We don't know why it was shelved - a structural flaw, doubts on how well it would sell, Lucasfilm not thinking the minecart sequence is an "iconic scene" (which is absolute bullsh!t), LEGO not wanting to release a set based on a movie that features outdated and offensive stereotypical depictions of white women, etc. The reason doesn't really matter. Whether the set was just delayed or outright cancelled is equally irrelevant. All that matters is that it was decided the Temple of Doom would not release on April 1 with the other sets.

And then the leak happened, and everyone got various levels of hyped for a new Temple of Doom set. And then we learned the set wasn't coming, and there was backlash from all fronts: LAN members, hardcore fans, even randos who just wanted a cool Indy LEGO set. And LEGO saw it all.

Now, let me tell you something about the LEGO Group. Do they care about the fans? Sure. Do they care about making a good product? Of course. Do they care about sticking to their internal rules and values? On occasion. But there is one mistress the LEGO Group follows above all others: MONEY. LEGO's only real goal is to release products that sell. And they know that releasing a set that fans demand results in a massive windfall: Just look at the 501st Battle Pack, or the AT-TE with Cody. And here is a fan uproar bigger than either of those.

What I am proposing is that, regardless of what happened behind the scenes with 77014 originally, LEGO now has full plans to release the set in some form in time. They saw the backlash to the rumors of the set's cancellation and are now intentionally stoking it so that in a few months when they announce the set they can claim they brought it out "because of fan demand" and make an absolute boatload off of it. It's the only explanation that makes sense - why their statement is so ludicrously vague and nonsensical, why the set is still referenced on the site, why Target's computers show there's supposed to be a set between 77013 (IP4-2) and 77015 (IP4-4) even though they didn't go up on the site until after the ToD would have been shelved, why customer service wasn't given any info, why LAN is being told to use the leaked picture to show off the cancelled set, everything.

(Or maybe LEGO is just incompetent I dunno :wacko:)

I actually agree with you. Lego probably did cancel it but are now seeing backlash and panicking. Therefore it’ll come out in July or august. 

Okay, so positives first:

- The U.K. price points for these sets are great! Excellent value for money, but I’ll still be skipping the Well of Souls set.

- As already made obvious, the Hovitos Temple is magnificent. This is peak Lego design and execution for me, and it will certainly sit up there as one of the best licensed sets ever made. Hats (or fedoras) off to the designers of these sets.

Now for the negatives:

- Lego’s communication is abysmal, what exactly is being conveyed with that press release? ‘Consolidating’ three sets for the initial relaunch of this theme implies to me that more sets / waves are on the way, but it seems so intentionally ambiguous.

- Absolutely no mention of the Dial of Destiny sets despite the fact that the film is only just over 3 months away. Are they cancelled? Delayed? I’m not sure if it’s just Lego at fault here or Lucasfilm just being a problematic licensing partner.

- Failing to remove the Temple of Doom from the product copy for these sets, now that’s just funny.

Overall, the sets we are getting are brilliant! But I can’t deny how much my enthusiasm in this year’s Lego output is dwindling week after week. Just wish they’d communicate better, if only to their LAN members at least.

Edited by Kaijumeister

I’m as disappointed as anyone with regards to the ToD/DoD situation but I’m choosing to wait until more news comes out for both cases. I’m glad that the sets we do have are so good. The sets each look brilliant and are very reasonably priced, in my opinion. The Tomb especially has grown on me immensely since the leaked pictures. Here’s hoping for more Indy sets.