Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

[…] and most people would agree the first act is the best part of Crystal Skull.

Huh, really? I always vastly prefered the other two acts, but maybe that’s just me :laugh: My favourite scene is the one with the siafu ants. Muscle-bound henchmen dying gruesome deaths is one of the staples of the series, after all (with the exception of LC, of course). Hope they keep that tradition up in DoD, but the casting of Olivier Richters tells me they will :excited:

Speaking of which: I hope we get as many of the new characters in minifig form as possible :thumbup: With four sets, this should be manageable!

Crystal Skull had the right inspiration and ideas, just the execution was not that great imo. Easily the worst of the four but it’s not the dumpster fire some people make it out to be. Only set I would consider buying from the film would be an Arnie’s Diner with the car and motorcycle chase with a statue of Marcus Brody. I just don’t think the locations of the film aren’t the greatest to lend themselves to cool Lego sets. 

Crystal Skull is worth it just for the nuking the fridge scene. I can skip the rest of the movie.

Likewise, Final Frontier is worth it just for the immortal line, “What does God need with a starship?”. I can skip the rest of the movie. (Sorry, different franchise.)

10 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Then there‘s the aliens/interdimensional beings which draw a lot of contempt for some reason.

Well Indiana Jones is well known for being extremely realistic, after all. What with ghosts melting Nazis, people briefly surviving having their heart ripped out, and a cup that causes you to age rapidly.

I don’t doubt that in the 5th film,

time travel

will get a similar reception.

Edited by sammy_zammy

The wonderful thing about all the films is that they are all clearly in on the joke too. They have playfulness to them throughout the adventure. That translates well to options for the sets too, so I hope there are fun elements to reflect it.

I'm also really looking forward to the new sets, as I've been waiting to watch the Indy series again for several months, and decided that I was going to have them on while building at least one of the new sets.

13 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

I don’t doubt that in the 5th film,

Reveal hidden contents

time travel

will get a similar reception.

Yeah, I’m not overly fond of that concept. Depends on the execution :shrug_oh_well: However, as long as we have the following ingredients, it has potential to be a great Indy film:

• a scene with lots of critters (maybe the eels from the trailer?)
  • a temple/vault/grave with imaginative booby traps
  • chase scenes
  • the main antagonist getting killed by the McGuffin
  • the muscular henchmen getting accidentally killed in a gruesome yet hilarious fashion
  • snakes :laugh_hard:

Funnily enough, all of these scenes and elements can easily be recreated in LEGO sets too :laugh: The death scenes only indirectly of course, but still

On 1/24/2023 at 12:01 PM, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Not sure of I'd agree with that. While KotCS got the most sets overall in the original run, they were mostly all focused on the jungle scenes. We never got anything from the first act of the movie (Area 51, rocket car, college chase, the fridge), and most people would agree the first act is the best part of Crystal Skull.

I agree we’re missing out on an Area 51 set (could include the rocket sled) and a Nuke the Fridge set but compare those two things to what we’re missing from the other movies…

RAIDERS

Bar fight, Map Room, Sallah in general (I know we’re finally getting him) Bantu Wind, Submarine, Opening the Ark scene 

TEMPLE OF DOOM

Pretty much anything that isn’t the car chase and the minecart sequence. We’re missing the nightclub, the magic raft, the entirety of the Palace, most of the temple of doom itself, the rock crushing machine, and the classic famous bridge scene

LAST CRUSADE

Young Indy scene, that first boat fight, library+sewers, the whole castle situation, the blimp (zeppelin) that they would never make because it’s too big, that tank they would never make because it’s too Evil, the grail temple itself and a minifigure scale Petra facade.

Crystal Skull we’re really only missing a few fun scenes from the beginning but every other movie is missing half the classic moments in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, Actor Builder said:

I agree we’re missing out on an Area 51 set (could include the rocket sled) and a Nuke the Fridge set but compare those two things to what we’re missing from the other movies…

RAIDERS

Bar fight, Map Room, Sallah in general (I know we’re finally getting him) Bantu Wind, Submarine, Opening the Ark scene 

(.....)

Crystal Skull we’re really only missing a few fun scenes from the beginning but every other movie is missing half the classic moments in my opinion.

While there are tons of sets LEGO could and should make for Temple and Crusade, imo most of what's left of Raiders either wouldn't make for very good sets (Map Room has no real play opportunities and would just be a tan room with a city microbuild [could be a neat GWP tho], Bantu Wind is a massive ship from an uninteresting scene and isn't very iconic) or would go against LEGO's standards (The Raven blatantly depicts alcohol, they would never make a realistic Nazi U-Boat, Opening the Ark scene is way too violent).

Imo they could satisfy me on Raiders by doing a remake of the truck scene that includes the staff car with Belloq (in his white suit), Toht, and Dietrich. Other sets would be nice of course, but after the two Raiders sets we're getting this year that's the only other Raiders scene I'd want more than new sets from Temple or Crusade.

3 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

While there are tons of sets LEGO could and should make for Temple and Crusade, imo most of what's left of Raiders either wouldn't make for very good sets (Map Room has no real play opportunities and would just be a tan room with a city microbuild [could be a neat GWP tho], Bantu Wind is a massive ship from an uninteresting scene and isn't very iconic) or would go against LEGO's standards (The Raven blatantly depicts alcohol, they would never make a realistic Nazi U-Boat, Opening the Ark scene is way too violent).

Imo they could satisfy me on Raiders by doing a remake of the truck scene that includes the staff car with Belloq (in his white suit), Toht, and Dietrich. Other sets would be nice of course, but after the two Raiders sets we're getting this year that's the only other Raiders scene I'd want more than new sets from Temple or Crusade.

I would love to see a remake of the truck scene, but including the 1937 Mercedes this time. 

4 hours ago, Actor Builder said:

TEMPLE OF DOOM

Pretty much anything that isn’t the car chase and the minecart sequence. We’re missing the nightclub, the magic raft, the entirety of the Palace, most of the temple of doom itself, the rock crushing machine, and the classic famous bridge scene

LAST CRUSADE

Young Indy scene, that first boat fight, library+sewers, the whole castle situation, the blimp (zeppelin) that they would never make because it’s too big, that tank they would never make because it’s too Evil, the grail temple itself and a minifigure scale Petra facade.

I think for the first Indy line, LEGO was very focused - from a play-experience perspective- on the "battle" scenes, so doing something like the Palace wasn't as appealing as the battles in the mines, and the library/grail wasn't as interesting as the boat chase or the planes. 

That being said, I could see a small bridge similar to the LEGO Ninjago Movie Bridge Battle set for that scene from Temple, and I could definitely see a small $20 set for the Grail final scene. And a scene with young Indy would definitely be great! 

5 hours ago, Actor Builder said:

I agree we’re missing out on an Area 51 set (could include the rocket sled) and a Nuke the Fridge set but compare those two things to what we’re missing from the other movies…

RAIDERS

Bantu Wind, Submarine 

LAST CRUSADE

that first boat fight, the blimp (zeppelin) that they would never make because it’s too big

I would kill for a tramp steamer: either the Bantu Wind or the Coronado (the ship that Panama Hat was on that blew up). The zeppelin and submarine would be appreciated, but probably aren't happening. ..Then again, we got the Flying Wing in 2009, which is partially based on a real aircraft. (albeit the real one had jets instead of the film's prop-powered plane and didn't exist at this point in time)

2 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

I would kill for a tramp steamer: either the Bantu Wind or the Coronado (the ship that Panama Hat was on that blew up).

Neither seem super likely unless LEGO Indy goes on for quite a few years, but imo the Coronado makes more sense and would just be a cooler set. A more memorable scene, better and more unique minifigs, great opportunity for cool play features, AND a unique artifact? Sign me up!

9 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Neither seem super likely unless LEGO Indy goes on for quite a few years, but imo the Coronado makes more sense and would just be a cooler set. A more memorable scene, better and more unique minifigs, great opportunity for cool play features, AND a unique artifact? Sign me up!

Don't forget the "It belongs in a museum" meme material!

On 1/24/2023 at 12:25 AM, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I'd rather watch the entirety of KotCS than one scene featuring Willie Scott.

Ha, right?

On 1/26/2023 at 9:50 AM, Murdoch17 said:

Don't forget the "It belongs in a museum" meme material!

This reply honestly belongs in a museum 

Hopefully I’m not setting us up for disappointment, but reveals could be imminent as the first GotG set scheduled for April has been unveiled.

Granted, there are still sets scheduled for March we haven’t seen yet, but I’ll remain optimistic :tongue:

Just now, hachiroku said:

No Indy leaks today

Why would you expect Indy leaks today?

The only images that leaked were the ones from a survey about 2024 sets for adults.

LEGO definitely wants to reveal Indiana Jones sets themselves.

5 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Why would you expect Indy leaks today?

The only images that leaked were the ones from a survey about 2024 sets for adults.

I know. I just think it's funny that so much has been leaked, and yet no Indy leaks.

Edited by hachiroku

4 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

That's usually the case for all it's products but if we have to wait until they do it then we'll have to wait until the end of march considering how they reveal stuff at the very last moment.

2 minutes ago, hachiroku said:

I just think it's funny that so much has been leaked, and yet no Indy leaks.

I know right?Those sets have been ready to ship for over a year now and yet there is not a single factory leak out there.

1 minute ago, hachiroku said:

I know. I just think it's funny that so much has been leaked, and yet no Indy leaks.

Why would they leak? The official reveal could happen pretty soon, considering that the first April set was revealed today (the Star-Lord helmet) :laugh:

7 minutes ago, hachiroku said:

Is it tho? 

I mean none of the 2023 sets that haven't been officially revealed are leaked.

The sets that leaked today are preliminary concepts for 2024 sets.

Just now, THELEGOBATMAN said:

The sets that leaked today are preliminary concepts for 2024 sets.

Except for Rivendell. And some of the Disney ones have to be 2023 sets too, due to the anniversary. Same goes for the BTAS set, which would coincide with the 30th anniversary of Mask of the Phantasm :classic:

3 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Except for Rivendell. And some of the Disney ones have to be 2023 sets too, due to the anniversary. Same goes for the BTAS set, which would coincide with the 30th anniversary of Mask of the Phantasm :classic:

Yeah, true. Rivendell is apparently coming next month.

But some of those sets could release in over a year. If the Burrow gets made, I wouldn't be surprised if we got it in Summer 2024.