1 hour ago, macaron35 said:

Hi guys, 

any frequent client of lego stores here ?

I was wondering if it's possible to pick all the plates and tiles with the pick a brick service ? If so, the cost of building the ship would fall from hundreds of bucks to less than $50 just for these numerous parts ;)

If by luck those parts are available in a pab wall, go for it.

The prices are unbeatable this way, but i never encountered lbg tiles in a wall.

15 hours ago, Lfm55 said:

If by luck those parts are available in a pab wall, go for it.

The prices are unbeatable this way, but i never encountered lbg tiles in a wall.

damn, those are among the most expensive parts in the list

getting them on the wall would make me save a lot !

edit: the offering seems to differ from one store to another, for instable the lego store in Northern France seems to have tiles

if someone can check in Paris Les Halles… thanks :)

Edited by macaron35

On 5/12/2021 at 7:58 AM, macaron35 said:

edit: the offering seems to differ from one store to another, for instable the lego store in Northern France seems to have tiles

if someone can check in Paris Les Halles… thanks :)

What total price do you have on Bricklink? Is every selected store domestic?

On 5/12/2021 at 6:58 AM, macaron35 said:

Have you tried looking at Lego customer service "Bricks and Pieces"? They take a while to ship out at the moment, but they can be cheaper than bricklink, especially for bulk purchases.

Also, try experimenting with setting a max price for some of the lots with the Bricklink wanted list.

5 minutes ago, NathanR said:

Have you tried looking at Lego customer service "Bricks and Pieces"? They take a while to ship out at the moment, but they can be cheaper than bricklink, especially for bulk purchases.

Also, try experimenting with setting a max price for some of the lots with the Bricklink wanted list.

it's way more expensive than pick a brick in store

when ordering online, you pay each piece, while in store, you pay for a bucket and you fill as much as you can

Hi FlyInSpace! Thanks for creating and publishing this MOC!

I originally intended to get the official UCS model, but that one is very expensive, very unwieldy and a bit underwhelming from what I've seen. Once I saw this MOC I decided to build this one instead. I figure I can get it done for less than half the price of the official UCS by ordering from Bricklink. So far, I've sourced about about 1500 parts so I hope I can start building soon. Once I do, I'll report back with my impressions.

As for now, I've noticed that the parts list on rebrickable is out of date compared to the parts list included with the instructions. Good thing I held off and didn't order those simple nozzles or 1x6 curved slopes right away... Anyways, you may want to update that for those that use rebrickable.

16 minutes ago, Joppe said:

Hi FlyInSpace! Thanks for creating and publishing this MOC!

I originally intended to get the official UCS model, but that one is very expensive, very unwieldy and a bit underwhelming from what I've seen. Once I saw this MOC I decided to build this one instead. I figure I can get it done for less than half the price of the official UCS by ordering from Bricklink. So far, I've sourced about about 1500 parts so I hope I can start building soon. Once I do, I'll report back with my impressions.

As for now, I've noticed that the parts list on rebrickable is out of date compared to the parts list included with the instructions. Good thing I held off and didn't order those simple nozzles or 1x6 curved slopes right away... Anyways, you may want to update that for those that use rebrickable.

Hey Joppe! Indeed after I optimized the parts list to reduce the final price, I totally forgot to update it on Rebrickable. It's now done :) Thanks for purchasing my instructions! Happy building :)

On 9/11/2021 at 10:36 AM, FlyInSpace said:

Hey Joppe! Indeed after I optimized the parts list to reduce the final price, I totally forgot to update it on Rebrickable. It's now done :) Thanks for purchasing my instructions! Happy building :)

It looks like the Rebrickable page has been removed. Do you plan to repost it? I'd like to compare the parts list to my spare inventory before I buy the instructions. 

22 hours ago, SnowDog2112 said:

It looks like the Rebrickable page has been removed. Do you plan to repost it? I'd like to compare the parts list to my spare inventory before I buy the instructions. 

Yea, I too noticed that the page disappeared.. Under my "Liked MOCs" it says that it is "disabled". In order to build the MOC, I uploaded the latest revision of the parts list to rebrickable. You can find and use that list in the meantime:
https://rebrickable.com/users/joppe_k/lists/135458/

22 hours ago, SnowDog2112 said:

10 minutes ago, Joppe said:

Yea, I too noticed that the page disappeared.. Under my "Liked MOCs" it says that it is "disabled". In order to build the MOC, I uploaded the latest revision of the parts list to rebrickable. You can find and use that list in the meantime:
https://rebrickable.com/users/joppe_k/lists/135458/

Yup, the Rebrickable admin suddenly removed my MOC once he saw I had updated the "buy" link to an external site (BrickVault). Apparently this isn't allowed, so he deleted my MOC without any warning :( But don't worry, I just made a WeTransfer link for the list: https://we.tl/t-iLobRwoUkA

Edited by FlyInSpace

13 hours ago, FlyInSpace said:

Yup, the Rebrickable admin suddenly removed my MOC once he saw I had updated the "buy" link to an external site (BrickVault). Apparently this isn't allowed, so he deleted my MOC without any warning :( But don't worry, I just made a WeTransfer link for the list: https://we.tl/t-iLobRwoUkA

Well, that sucks. Sorry about that. Hope that the Brickvault video gives enough exposure to the MOC so that it gets the attention it deserves. At 1:2500 scale the size is pretty much perfect and it looks very accurate compared to the real model! I have currently got ~2400 pieces sourced and have started building the framework and whatever bits and bobs I can. I'll be compiling my feedback into a list in case you're interested later on.

Bought the instructions from Brickvault but was unable to upload the parts list because:

The following items in the XML file are invalid or do not exist in the Bricklink Catalog.

Please fix the following errors:

• Item No: 40345

Anyone else experience this problem and is there a fix?

Thanks 

On 10/2/2021 at 6:03 PM, misterbuk said:

Bought the instructions from Brickvault but was unable to upload the parts list because:

The following items in the XML file are invalid or do not exist in the Bricklink Catalog.

Please fix the following errors:

• Item No: 40345

Anyone else experience this problem and is there a fix?

Thanks 

Hi! Perhaps you've already figured it out, but the part in question is this one:
https://rebrickable.com/parts/32532/technic-brick-6-x-8-with-open-center-4-x-6/

If you do a search and replace in the XML for 40345 -> 32532 then it should work. Alternatively, just delete the entry from the XML and add the part manually. You only need 1 of these.

I've finally managed to complete the build. The part cost came down to abt €350 which was more than I had hoped, but certainly less than the LEGO UCS model. Here it is adorning the top of my bookshelf. :classic:

0ULFZzA.jpg

The build was not particularly difficult once I got all the part in hand. The exception would be a few fragile parts that were difficult to place and adjust. Mostly that was around the engines and behind the superstructure. I'll be looking to mod the model now to see if I can come up with some improvements. Ultimately, I'm hoping to light the model with leds and reenact the opening scene from Episode IV. It remains to be seen how that turns out for me. :laugh:

@FlyInSpaceAs promised, I've compiled a list of errors I found in the instructions. Would you like me to send you them as a PM? Shared Google docs document? Post them here?

1 hour ago, misterbuk said:

There are errors in the instruction? 

(Not yet built mine - got 80% of pieces)

Well, it's nothing severe so no need to worry. As an example, the instructions lists 5x turntables in step 368, but the image only uses 3. The rotation icon is wrong in step 954, and so on.

The only one to watch out for is in step 744 and 858. The 1x2 modified plate with single offset stud will interfere with a stud behind it in step 752 and 866 if placed like in the instructions. My solution was to replace the 1x2 with a 1x1. The location is very inconspicuous so you can probably get away with a different color entirely.

Edited by Joppe

On 10/17/2021 at 10:46 AM, Joppe said:

I've finally managed to complete the build. The part cost came down to abt €350 which was more than I had hoped, but certainly less than the LEGO UCS model. Here it is adorning the top of my bookshelf. :classic:

0ULFZzA.jpg

The build was not particularly difficult once I got all the part in hand. The exception would be a few fragile parts that were difficult to place and adjust. Mostly that was around the engines and behind the superstructure. I'll be looking to mod the model now to see if I can come up with some improvements. Ultimately, I'm hoping to light the model with leds and reenact the opening scene from Episode IV. It remains to be seen how that turns out for me. :laugh:

@FlyInSpaceAs promised, I've compiled a list of errors I found in the instructions. Would you like me to send you them as a PM? Shared Google docs document? Post them here?

Hey Joppe! This is looking great! 
Impressive price btw, did you already own a few pieces before purchasing? 

Regarding any errors you've found, I'd be happy to forward the list to BrickVault, as they're handling all instruction updates and troubleshooting. You can send me a DM here and I'll let them know.

Ps: Why the brown parts on the bridge though? :pir_laugh2: Also, I just shared your ISD picture on my instagram (if you don't mind) - and credited your username :wink:

Edited by FlyInSpace

21 hours ago, FlyInSpace said:

Hey Joppe! This is looking great! 
Impressive price btw, did you already own a few pieces before purchasing? 

Regarding any errors you've found, I'd be happy to forward the list to BrickVault, as they're handling all instruction updates and troubleshooting. You can send me a DM here and I'll let them know.

Ps: Why the brown parts on the bridge though? :pir_laugh2: Also, I just shared your ISD picture on my instagram (if you don't mind) - and credited your username :wink:

Thanks! :classic:

I actually had very few pieces that I could use for the build so I had to buy at least 95% of them new. I spent a good amount of time searching Bricklink (inside of Europe) for the best prices, as well as ordering from LEGO Bits & Pieces where it made sense. In retrospective, I think I "shortchanged" myself by ordering from too many retailers and wasting money on shipping, just in order to save a little bit on the LEGO pieces themselves. All-in-all, though, the cost was not too bad and someone who is more frugal than I am can probably push the cost down even more.

The brown bits on the bridge were just because I was short a couple of hinges so I temporarily replaced them with something else. Good spotting! :pir-grin:

Sure thing! I have my notes of the build process in a document somewhere so I'll dig them up and send them over.

Hey everyone,

Happy May the 4th! Today is a special day: my Torment is now 1 year old!

To celebrate this day, there's 20% off on instructions at Brickvault till tomorrow, so don't miss the sale! :pir-grin:

I want to start buying parts for this soon, but a few questions before I begin.

1. How sturdy is it? All the 3679-parts are kind of making me worried that small parts are going to fall off all the time when attaching the plating - but maybe not?
2. Has there been any changes since version 1.0?
3. I bought the first "batch", directly from FlyInSpace. I don't know if it's possible, but any way I can get a coupon to be able to switch to the Brickvault version? I should be in the mail history but I can ofcourse provide the password for the instruction file. :)

Thanks!

On 3/12/2023 at 8:40 PM, danielwerner said:

I want to start buying parts for this soon, but a few questions before I begin.

1. How sturdy is it? All the 3679-parts are kind of making me worried that small parts are going to fall off all the time when attaching the plating - but maybe not?
2. Has there been any changes since version 1.0?
3. I bought the first "batch", directly from FlyInSpace. I don't know if it's possible, but any way I can get a coupon to be able to switch to the Brickvault version? I should be in the mail history but I can ofcourse provide the password for the instruction file. :)

Thanks!

Hey Daniel,

Sure, I remember about your purchase :)

Nothing should fall down during building. The vast majority of small parts are mainly greebles and they're all securely attached to the frame (bridge and trenches). Panels are strong enough not to fall or break when being attached.

When Brickvault took my model I didn't have to make any significant changes other than minor parts optimization for availability and final price.

Since you already bought the instructions, why would I charge you again? 

Check your emails :)

7 hours ago, FlyInSpace said:

Hey Daniel,

Sure, I remember about your purchase :)

Nothing should fall down during building. The vast majority of small parts are mainly greebles and they're all securely attached to the frame (bridge and trenches). Panels are strong enough not to fall or break when being attached.

When Brickvault took my model I didn't have to make any significant changes other than minor parts optimization for availability and final price.

Since you already bought the instructions, why would I charge you again? 

Check your emails :)

Thanks, much appreciated! Looking forward to building this. :)

Edit: I thought of another thing btw - would it be possible to shorten the height of the stand by using 1x11 and 1x7 liftarms instead of 1x13 and 1x9? As far as I can see it would work, but maybe that would cause other problems with connecting the lower plates or something? Appreciate your input.

Edited by danielwerner