wesker

Classic base plates being retired by February 2022

My opinion on this is pretty much the same as it is for the new road plates...not a fan. As someone who has a decent sized city & all Modulars I don’t like the idea of having to replace them with something else. Or do the work around to get baseplates to work with the new roads. I cant see them doing away with baseplates completely though. A big point to the Modulars is connectivity. 

I do know one thing for sure, regardless if they’re going or not, this rumor has been great for baseplate sales. 

If I were TLC i'd sell a little specialized piece that fits underneath the bottom of a baseplate and brings it up to height with a normal plate, so you can raise baseplate-based buildings and connect them to regular-plate-based buildings, and that brings their height to be the same as that of a normal plate. Then they can keep the baseplates, but overcome the height difference problem. It would also open up building possibilities, such that baseplates can then be used in builds with non-rectangular bases.

9 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

If I were TLC i'd sell a little specialized piece that fits underneath the bottom of a baseplate and brings it up to height with a normal plate, so you can raise baseplate-based buildings and connect them to regular-plate-based buildings, and that brings their height to be the same as that of a normal plate. Then they can keep the baseplates, but overcome the height difference problem. It would also open up building possibilities, such that baseplates can then be used in builds with non-rectangular bases.

You can put a baseplate on top of a plate, which brings it up to the height of two plates. Which is great because two plates is the height of a road plate.

9 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

It wouldn't be little, it would need to be large. Otherwise you'd need loads of them, or the baseplates would sag if too many gaps.

Good to hear that you can still get them through LUGBULK.  What was the rumour based on?

7 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Good to hear that you can still get them through LUGBULK.  What was the rumour based on?

The rumor emerged primarily because apparently somebody with insider knowledge of some kind saw something saying the LEGO Classic baseplate SETS are apparently scheduled to retire. But again, that could just be a sign that they're going to be re-released with a different set number and/or different theme branding, as they have been at various points in the past — or updated to use a different material, or sold two to a pack, or packaged differently as part of LEGO's efforts to cut down on single-use plastic bags, or with slight updates to the mold like a different radius on the rounded corners.

In other words, there are numerous reasons that LEGO could retire these particular sets that don't involve the entire baseplate category being permanently retired.

Wouldn't surprise me if Baseplates will be re-released under the Xtra brand, as those cardboard playmats weren't really long-lasting.

However, currently Xtra is LEGO exclusive, which goes against that, so new numbering/packaging under Classic could be likely as well.

I also wonder if that would mean that colors like regular green, tan, dark bluish grey could be sold, or perhaps availability of 16x32 sized bases.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 2/12/2022 at 5:48 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

I see new baseplates on Shop@Home. What are they different from the old ones?

I managed to spot a white 32x32 from this year on Brickset. By the looks of it, there is no difference.

20 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

I managed to spot a white 32x32 from this year on Brickset. By the looks of it, there is no difference.

20 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Thanks. Someone already answered my quesiton in other thread but thank you. 

There is no difference at all besides the price going up to $10 for the white, green and blue and then the package will be cardboard. 

10 hours ago, Maple said:

besides the price going up to $10 for the white, green and blue

Nooooooooooo! :damn:

10 hours ago, Maple said:

the package will be cardboard. 

That sounds good! :pir-thumb:

3 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

Nooooooooooo! :damn:

That sounds good! :pir-thumb:

Yeah LEGO announced it at the time. Not sure if it was an increase in the USA only or not. There should be a press release from LEGO somewhere online.

FOUND IT! The Euro price will go up 1 Euro.

According to the source, there will be a price increase for a few of them. Reportedly, the three 32×32 baseplates (green, white and blue) will have an updated cost of €8.99 from €7.99 whilst the larger gray variant will stay the same.

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-baseplates-rumoured-renumbered-2022/

Edited by Maple

On 2/12/2022 at 10:48 AM, DBlegonerd7 said:

I see new baseplates on Shop@Home. What are they different from the old ones?

My understanding was they were not going to come in a plastic sleeve anymore. Lego is moving towards having all their packaging being recyclable. 

Certainly in the UK, and likely other countries, they are bringing in a law in April linked to a tax on plastic packaging, of £200 a ton (when a business imports more than 10 tons a year, this is based on plastic packaging supplied with products.  Lego will clearly fall into this category, and for the right reasons, it makes sense to switch over to cardboard.