efferman

[MOD] 42128 - Tow Truck - Mods and Improvements

Ooh, I like this rear side, with the easiest access to the battery compartment!

4 hours ago, efferman said:

1110 Parts and it is, beside the bugfixing, done.

51084003488_2a5d67cc89_c.jpg

Ahh, the set is not even out, we barely know anything ( I don't even have the stupid picture, feel free to send it to me!), and Efferman is already making it a hundred times better...  This is what Eurobricks is all about!

Very nice mod! They should have made it a long haul truck in the first place. With the cad model, is possible to do a size comparison between 42128 and other trucks like 42008, 42078, or even 8285?

19 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

Done

51089395456_1eced43d9c_c.jpg

edit:

realbuild has started and allready stopped. Running out of 3x11 panels in orange and some other parts.

51089681306_7b5065f367_c.jpg

Edit²

Small but expensive recolor

51089973527_2da1cfb083_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

Can you do a render next to 42008. Interesting to see what the size difference would be like.

Sadly I swapped my 42008 for the 42056 Porsche. 

6 hours ago, Tazmancrash said:

Can you do a render next to 42008.

Sorry, dont have it as io file

edit:

Drives without fueltanks. a little bit scary i think

Edited by efferman

Can you make the engine and its design separately?

By the way, the truck is very beautiful.

Edited by SUPER Max Black

Here's a more technic version using only parts from 42093 Corvette (except orange trans clear beacon) :

42128%20front%20mudguard_4.png

It doesn't look as good but should be easier to apply for people that don't want to buy system parts from bricklink.

7 hours ago, fosamax said:

... should be easier to apply for people that don't want to buy system parts from bricklink.

You read my mind :)

Thanks for sharing this.

I have a mod idea: adding telescopic extension to the rear forks. In real trucks the forks lower and then extend under the towed vehicle. It can be done with a simple 7L steering gear rack.

Nice idea! I don’t know if it is possible to get it slim enough, but worth trying.

Btw, there are at the moment two MODs and Improvement threads for 42128, maybe an idea that @Jim or @Milan put them together?

In his review, Sariel mentioned an issue with the crane rotation assembly coming apart. This should fix the issue, as well as speed up rotation; on the downside, the direction is reversed.

640x972.jpg

640x282.jpg

640x1032.jpg

Interesting that this set easily fits rear double s (pairs of 49.5 thin tires from coming new Creator Expert sets) at 3rd and 4th axles without any changes. Just remove the old wheels, put the 1/2 bushes instead of 1L bushes and put a pair of new thin wheels. It looks amazing! A bit later I will show it here.

The secret here is that 3l pin with a pinhole in the middle with connected liftarms perfectly fits inside the wheels. While 42078 and 42098 need some changes (they may borrow the 42128 scheme). 

48 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Interesting that this set easily fits rear double s (pairs of 49.5 thin tires from coming new Creator Expert sets) at 3rd and 4th axles without any changes. Just remove the old wheels, put the 1/2 bushes instead of 1L bushes and put a pair of new thin wheels. It looks amazing! A bit later I will show it here.

The secret here is that 3l pin with a pinhole in the middle with connected liftarms perfectly fits inside the wheels. While 42078 and 42098 need some changes (they may borrow the 42128 scheme). 

I have the feeling you need to remove things, like a "dog bone" piece at the 4th axle, or the wheels would stick out. single w x20 wheel is well 20mm wide, while the new ones, double are like 30mm

Also you need to shorten the axle holder (5x3 L beam), so the space between diff and wheels is only 2wide. I think The 42128 is the same width as the Mack Anthem, which has similar axles as needs some work for dually wheels as well.

here is a picture how the wheels will be. You see the L and dog bone beam are in the way.

The wheels do fit inside the 3l double pin with hole, but still too wide! But thats just my guesses, have to wait till i get the set!

UO2CQ6f.png

I need these new wheels so baaaad. For tow truck, anthem with trailer and the Mack b model, so about 36 wheels OOF

Edited by Coolusername

23 hours ago, Coolusername said:

I have the feeling you need to remove things, like a "dog bone" piece at the 4th axle, or the wheels would stick out. single w x20 wheel is well 20mm wide, while the new ones, double are like 30mm

Also you need to shorten the axle holder (5x3 L beam), so the space between diff and wheels is only 2wide. I think The 42128 is the same width as the Mack Anthem, which has similar axles as needs some work for dually wheels as well.

The dogbone really May touch it, I will check it but these 3*5 louftarm does not touch the wheels at all. That was the "Good setup" which I meant - they perfectly fits inside the wheels while it may look they don't)) 

The B model I'm designing for this set will be the 42043 on a smaller scale and in this color scheme:

tata-lptk-3118-sleeper-cab-tipper-truck-

It will have all the bells and whistles that 42043 has, and then some more (for example, screen wipers). 

I don't want to share the model yet, so I'm just gonna tease the information here. :tongue:

dG3YoTd.png

Thank you @Void_S for the Studio file.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

This set isn’t even officially released and someone already started a b model! Great work! But are there enough panels to make the dumping bed though? To me it seemed that there aren’t that many panels in this set.