Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR TER] A Fortuitous Discovery

After the unfortunate encounter with the Oleonese soldier, Cooke fled the area with great haste. In evading the soldier’s comrades, he found himself deeper into the interior and increasingly lost. Using the sun, Cooke continued to head east, in a direction that he hoped was towards Westface. Although he had no idea what the overall situation was he hoped he could find friendly forces in L’Olius’ stronghold… providing L’Olius still held Westface... Oleonese patrols constantly forced him to deviate from his easterly course. If there were locals or Atwi around, they were avoiding him; food and water were fast becoming an issue.

The overgrown ruins of the temple sat on the top of a small rise ahead, highlighted in the morning sun. The terrain was open, with the odd small tree scattered around. The temple was in a bad state, probably constructed by the earliest Mardiarian settlers; it appeared to have fallen out of use long ago and nature was inexorably reclaiming it. Cooke decided to head to it for shelter from the fast approaching afternoon sun and to continue his journey in the cooler evening.

51048531722_acd5f0ee6c_b.jpg

Cooke was awoken from a light sleep sometime mid-afternoon to the thundering of approaching horses. Many approaching horses. He peered out to see a cavalry troop advancing on his location. With a sinking feeling he prepared for a last stand. The ruins offered no real hiding place, there was no chance of escape. The Oleonese would likely not take him prisoner. If they did, his fate was probable execution anyway. He sighed as he picked up the musket he had taken from the ill-fated Oleanese soldier, it seemed he was destined never again feel the crash of the waves on the oaken deck of a ship. Bitterly, he sighted the musket on the approaching horsemen.

Something looked wrong. Cooke was no expert on Oleonese cavalry units – he was a naval man. The approaching horsemen were uniformed in a style he seemed to recall as being Hussars, light cavalry used for scouting. The jackets were blue, as to be expected; but the shakos, pelisse and breeches were red.  Also one trooper was carrying a red and white pennant. Corlander colours? But no, that couldn’t be. Many Oleonese units were adored with red and this must be one of them. He sighted on the pennant bearer and prepared to fire when he noticed several red jacketed officers, one who seemed somehow familiar to him – as if he had seen the man before somewhere. He lowered the musket. As the figures drew ever closer, he realised he wasn’t hallucinating, the red jackets were indeed those of the Corlander Army. The officer he realised with a jolt was Allcock, one of Montoya’s friends that Cooke had met several times. He recalled Allcock was Colonial Governor of the the Paradise Isles out east, so what he was doing in Oleon occupied Terraversa was beyond his exhausted mind.

Cooke dropped the musket and emerged from the ruins, somewhat to the surprise of the cavalrymen who reigned in around him. Allcock looked down, surprise, confusion then sudden recognition on his face. Then, adapting the typical nonchalant expression and deadpan tone of Corlander aristocracy, Allcock remarked. “I say chaps... it appears we have found the Navy!”

51048447876_2bc9d5cd1e_b.jpg

So this started last week as an offer to Bregir for small, quick build to restore Cooke to his rightful place in command of one of Her Majesties ships... Anyway I thought I'd try to replicate Bregir's distinctive Terraversa style with a reddish brown base and some orange foliage. Then I decided it would be cool to add a small farmhouse or building. After pondering that and looking for inspiration, I had another idea - maybe the farmhouse could be a ruin. Then somehow later that night the farmhouse turned into a church, and the build got big! It doesn't look that large in the photos (which is always disappointing!) but it is around 50 studs at its longest and 30 at the widest. Far bigger than my original plans anyway! I also decided that a story featuring both Allcock and Cooke deserved some effort - so if you made it through the above novel congratulations - and thank you! 

As always a feast to the eyes!

The wooden remaints of the roof are absolutely well done

And a nice story to read :pir-classic:

Great colors and great story!

Is that medium nougat or dark orange on the ground? Either way, the orangish color and olive green in combo with slight overexposure work well with the reddish brown base to make it not feel heavy (like my Produce Farm build).

Nice work!

pir-facebook.png FACEBOOKED!

I seem to keep getting my characters stuck in some odd and somewhat precarious circumstances, but luckily, I can normally count on someone to rescue them! Hopefully, Cooke will be able to repay Allcock with some victories at sea :pir-wink: I am certain Cooke will be heavily disappointed if the war ends before he has had the chance to burn, sink, or take some bluecoat ships! :pir-grin:

I really like the landscaping here - the subdued colours work really well. The star of the show is the ruin, though - the roof rafters really give it an awesome touch.

Well done, and thank you for saving Cooke! :pir-grin: