I have rebuilt this model twice and each time everything works except the 'dump'...that is when I ask the app to dump the load (raise bed) I can see the motor turning but there is no motion being passed to gears that raise the dump.  I've taken apart and reassembled twice, with the same result...any suggestions?

@Charlies Pal

I'd check the gears in teh box below the linear actuator. I can't tell because I don't have the set, but if one of the gears is on the opposite side it will turn the gear on the actuator the wrong way which won't move the actuator. I know you've said you've built it twice correctly, but it isn't uncommon for there to be errors in the manual. Since, from what I know, the same motor controls the drive and tray functions, and the motor spins, it must be a gear problem, if it is able to drive. I'd ensure the the gears which are perpendicular to the linear actuator are on opposite sides of it on each side. If they are both above or below the small tan gear beneath the actuator, it won't go up. The one on the left should be below and the one on the right above.

42114-PDP-202009-Hero2-Standard-Large.jp

^ The gearbox above the arrow.

Check gear connections, You missed something for sure.

Maybe instructions are wrong. Also can be the case

1 minute ago, Stuartn said:

If they are both above or below the small tan gear beneath the actuator, it won't go up.

then there would be some clicking,cracking sound.

1 minute ago, Jurss said:

then there would be some clicking,cracking sound.

I agree there would be, as one correct actuator tries to raise and the other can't.

That made me just think of something. You may have each side mixed up in the gears. That way it would be equally not working and I think (though I'm not sure), that may not make a crack as I think (again not sure), the orange connection place at the bottom of the actuator would still spin in the downward direction without impacting the actuator and not making noises. As the cracking would be from the working actuator.

If the drive function still works it would be an issue with the gear's placement because the drive works off the same motors.

I'm currently rebuilding the rear section in Studio and will extract the different paths of the gearbox and paint them in different colors so people, who encounter issues with that set can get a better understanding how it works and where they have to search for issues. I'll very likely will finish that latest tomorrow.

'Instructions are just another mans opinion'.... No they're not! Just follow the very detailed instructions and it works just fine. There is clearly a difference between what you've built and what the instructions said to build. Find the point that the axles and cogs stop turning... then identify your mistake. 

I've built many sets that are trickier to build than 42114... very odd the problems people have...

I recently built 42114 and the instructions are fine. When installing drivelines (axles) and gears try to pay attention to how the function will operate. Did the OP have any parts left over? Anyway. there has to be a gear or drive axle missing I would think.

I too recently built 42114.  I had Android/software issues but nothing mechanical. 

Moving freely could mean a clutch has not engaged or something somewhere is not connected.  Try again...

I haven't seen this much complain about any other set. There must be something wrong with the instructions. Not mistakes but the way it is stepped, or the view angles, or I don't know.

Really was not interested in this set, mostly because I can not afford it, however just because a lot of people seem to have problems with it and many have no problems, makes me think it is a fairly challenging build. So I may pick it up after all, sounds like they may need to dumb down the instructions a bit more.

I will say to the OP though, when putting together sets like this and fact all sets. I like to confirm that everything is working correctly before moving on to the next step. Saves a lot of disassembly in case something is incorrectly put together, something that I tend to do more than I care to admit. Mostly when I get in a hurry or distracted.

12 hours ago, Jurss said:

I would remove the bed, then try to look at gears, axles, where motion stops.

17 hours ago, Charlies Pal said:

I've taken apart and reassembled twice, with the same result...any suggestions?

I've got a small video that shows the moving parts if you would like to compare:

https://brickshelf.com/gallery/rothw/technic/42114/981_20210211_195058.mp4

Edited by anyUser
added quote to original post

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

Really was not interested in this set, mostly because I can not afford it, however just because a lot of people seem to have problems with it and many have no problems, makes me think it is a fairly challenging build. So I may pick it up after all, sounds like they may need to dumb down the instructions a bit more.

I will say to the OP though, when putting together sets like this and fact all sets. I like to confirm that everything is working correctly before moving on to the next step. Saves a lot of disassembly in case something is incorrectly put together, something that I tend to do more than I care to admit. Mostly when I get in a hurry or distracted.

Same here, all these problem-threads made me want to build the set so I could see for myself if there really is something that's easy to get wrong. Or maybe it's just that for some reason many people inexperienced in Technic have obtained this set and are now experiencing problems where a more experienced builder would have none and we're seeing few of those people asking for help with the set?

I started creating animated gif to show gears involved for the different position of the gear selector. It takes time to render them. You can find them all here. Right now the first gear is available. I'll add the rest once the rendering is done. let me know, if you have any suggestions for improvements.

Color code:

Pink: Input from the xl motor

Purple: Gear selector

Blue: Drivetrain (The differential close to the motors is distributing the power to the two rear and one front axle.)

first_gear.gif

Edited by Andman

Maybe a totally stupid question, I don't have time to look into the functions of the model, but does the selector mechanism engage something in all four positions? Or are there possible idle positions (regardless of the control program, I ask only from mechanical point of view)?

2 minutes ago, Lipko said:

Maybe a totally stupid question, I don't have time to look into the functions of the model, but does the selector mechanism engage something in all four positions? Or are there possible idle positions (regardless of the control program, I ask only from mechanical point of view)?

The driving rings are positioned in such a way that there are idle positions.

1 hour ago, Andman said:

The driving rings are positioned in such a way that there are idle positions.

If there are possible idle positions, then maybe the reason is that the selector wheel is oriented in the wrong way. Is the axle of the selector restricted mechanically (hard stop)? Is cable holder there for that reason?

These might be stupid questions, I don't have any experience with the new PU system and its self calibration methods and quirks related to it. I'd guess the self calibration needs a hard stop. So if the hard stop and selector wheel are not aligned properly, you have a problem that may result in various strange behaviors depending on how the parts are misaligned.

Edited by Lipko

On 2/11/2021 at 2:12 AM, Charlies Pal said:

I have rebuilt this model twice and each time everything works except the 'dump'...that is when I ask the app to dump the load (raise bed) I can see the motor turning but there is no motion being passed to gears that raise the dump.  I've taken apart and reassembled twice, with the same result...any suggestions?

Third time is a charm. There is no simple fix/cheat/magic trick to make it work other than that, you just have to follow instruction preciesly.

I built this project and found that I also had issues with the build.  After several rip aparts and tests, I discovered what I believe many are messing up on this build.

1.  The early steps of building the gearbox are crucial to later success.  

2.  Once you get the gear box built, but before you have connected the motors, operate everything manually to ensure that the purple clips and the orange shifter are aligned as shown in the diagram.

3.  Also, be sure that each of the shift rings is connected properly to the orange shifter.  You can test this by rotating the purple shift actuator axle above and ensuring that all 3 shift rings move accordingly.

4.  Don't forget the extra red gears at the end of the gear box assembly.  If you have extra gears sitting in a bag at the end of bag 1, you probably did something wrong.

5. The shifting works as follows: 

There is a Park Gear at full clockwise for the purple clip.  It will be at the bottom.  This is also where you can operate the dump function.

1st gear is 90 degrees counterclockwise with the purple clip away from you.

2nd gear is with the purple clip straight up.

3rd gear is with the purple clip flat and towards you.

Once you've fully assembled the model and connected the cab to the rear unit you can test to be sure that everything functions correctly.  

Be sure and do a recalibration if you changed anything in the gearing.  

I had forgotten that there is a 3rd differential hidden underneath of the yellow 3x3 / under the dump function gearing in the center.  If you don't connect the cab or alternately connect a geared load to the center shaft, nothing will operate and you'll wonder why.

Hopefully, these more detailed instructions will get you unstuck and you'll be operating your truck in no time.

Edited by blyons3