bogieman

MOC - Southern Pacific EMD MP15AC

I was inspired by jtlan's MP15DC here:

to create my 1:48 scale MOC of the EMD MP15AC, an upgrade of the MP15DC that included a traction alternator rather than a DC generator and a cooling system including an AC motor fan as opposed to the belt-driven fan of the DC model. Southern Pacific bought 58 of these, all delivered in 1975 - here's a builder's photo:

50878437763_7ff6a3609a_c_d.jpg

I borrowed parts of the cab from jtlan's model and trucks were inspired by the GP swing hanger trucks on the GP60M plans I purchased from Brick Train Depot. The model has two Lego train motors and is controlled by an MRC Loco Genie wireless DCC system. I made some upgrades to the model that represent mods the RR did or could have done to modernize the unit; ditch lights that were added, and an exhaust spark arrestor-silencer system (the raised hatch over the engine) that all units built after 1980 included to meet noise regulations that went into effect then (designed that system during my career at EMD so had to include it).

In the interest of full disclosure, I did make modifications on a few parts and I dyed a few parts that weren't available in DBG.

50879126586_31070937e1_c_d.jpg

50878422813_ea7ffd4286_c_d.jpg

50879126651_375234f308_c_d.jpg

50879228902_3b7d7c250c_c_d.jpg

The hatch cover for the engine air filters lifts off to access the pushbutton switch to turn on the power:

50879228932_105a39147f_c_d.jpg

I used two 18350 3.7V Li-ion rechargeable batteries which easily fit under the removeable engine hood:

50879228962_a5cece50e8_c_d.jpg

I normally use 3 18650 batteries on my Lego locomotives with the Loco Genie but I'm finding these two smaller batteries work well.

50878422973_96eae8a436_c_d.jpg

Here's short video of the locomotive operating:

Dave

Well executed. The LEGO model is virtually spot on to the real picture. I like the part where you modified it to accommodate a part you worked on as well.

Thanks for the positive comments. 

I should also have mentioned that Andrew at OKBrickworks provided the custom stickers to match the prototype.

1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

What a serious model ...great locomotive and amazing sound! :wub:

I alsoo see a lovely UAAI839 wagon over there! :wink:

Thanks. Yes it is, a great addition to my layout!

Thanks zephyr. I'm somewhat embarrassed to show the whole layout as I've let my 5 & 7 year old grandsons freely play with the minifigs and buildings while I run the trains so it's quite a mess; someday I hope they take over the trains. I'm old school, having grown up with Lionel 027 then HO. I've built about 270 sq ft of tables (25 sq m) but will never ballast the track so I'll never be in the same company as some of the fantastic layouts I see here, on youtube, and at shows. I'm really focused on the rolling stock, at least at this point.

He heh, it is  great that you let the grad kids play, that is the nice thing about lego, it's kid tough. And heck yeah, don't show the chaos they've left behind. At any rate, I just like the thought you put into the layout and also all of the automated switches, etc. It is a well thought out track plan. I totally understand where you are coming from with the detailing. There are some amazing scenery builders out there, but I don't even have time to build all the trains I want to build. So my permanent layout is just have a simple rectangle.

On 1/30/2021 at 3:32 AM, bogieman said:

I've let my 5 & 7 year old grandsons freely play with the minifigs and buildings while I run the trains so it's quite a mess; someday I hope they take over the trains.

This is such a nice thought, good for you letting them play with it in their own way even if it makes a bit of a mess. 

Fantastic build - I love the paint scheme of this locomotive!!! Great details and interesting use of alternative batteries!

Good work! :pir-love:

Davide

Can you tell us more about your battery box and the batteries. How much volts, mah, etc., where to get them? That's a nice small package. Thanks.

Sure, here's the batteries from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MDXZ3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like to use ones that have a built-in current limiting circuit, just in case of an accidental short. The battery holder was hard to find but I ended up going to Digi-Key for a dual holder from Keystone Electronics, https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/keystone-electronics/1102/5255486?s=N4IgTCBcDaIMwDYC0BGFAGMSB2ATEAugL5A. They also have a single holder part no. 36-1101-ND.

I bought a 4 position charger that handles both 18350 and 18650 batteries from Amazon that they no longer carry.

Here's details on the rest of the electronic parts:

The diesel loco genie came from here: http://xlsystemsdcc.com/product/xl-wireless-diesel-sound-module/ The speaker it comes with is even smaller than that pictured, I using the one pictured which he also sells. It's pretty easy to fit in an 8 wide model.

Any switch will do but I like these latching pushbutton ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWS195R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using these LED's: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN6VBN9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which I glue to the inside of clear 1x1 round tile. The wires are so thin they will just fit between mated bricks with hardly a bump.

Two batteries only produce 7.4V but it seems plenty for the Loco Genie.

Dave