Aldar-Beedo

[MOC] Classic Space Excavation Site

Hundreds of years in the future, a team of astronauts discovers a small moon orbiting a big ice planet. As they approach the surface, they discover wreckage of spaceships and large robots, some buried deep in the dust of the moon. Now, two years after the initial findings, the astronauts have built a base on the moon and are discovering more and more traces of an earlier battle as they excavate.

Commander Chris Studstrong leads a team of scientists and engineers who have made it their goal to find out more about the earlier events on this moon.
While some of the astronauts are on the moon's surface excavating, others are back at the base examining the discovered artifacts.

If you like this model, you can support it on LEGO IDEAS: Classic Space Excavation Site on IDEAS

Let's have a look at the Protagonists:

Boris, Jenny and Lucas, as engineers, explore the wreckage and dismantle parts to be examined afterwards. Naomi, a chemist, researches the spacecraft's fuels and ensures that no dangerous reactions can occur while working on the wrecks. Ted, a scientist, and David, a geologist, study the lunar surface to find out more about the crashes and their causes. David's instruments have just made a very exciting find: a droid frozen in the ice under the dust!
Gina works at the base and researches the technology and materials of the excavated objects in her laboratory. Jule, an engineer, makes sure the station's life support system is working properly and also keeps the spacesuits in good shape. There's nothing she can't fix!
Bob, a reporter, accompanies the crew on their mission and documents all interesting objects and progress.
An overhead railway is used to transport excavated parts and connect the base to the surrounding area. Pilots Phillipe and Cara can also use a crane to retrieve heavy debris.

To better cover long distances on the moon, the moon buggy is used. In addition, the friendly robot S.O.L.A.R.I.S. helps the team with the work on the wrecks and warns his team of potential hazards with the help of his sensors.

This set consists of 2718 parts, including 12 minifigures, a robot, a space buggy and a lot of utensils for the excavations!

By pulling or pushung the handle attached to the long part of the track, you can decide whether the railway should stay on the upper circle or go down. The track can easily be extended at the siding to explore new excavation sites.

50825309996_af15c7b7ca_k.jpgClassic Space Excavation Site by Aldar Beedo, auf Flickr

Feel free to give feedback on my MOC! :)

Best regards,
Aldar Beedo

Looks amazing. I like balance between the classic space feel and modernised building techniques/incorporation of new parts.

Although it is only a small part of the build, that little rover is excellent.

Using the rollercoaster parts for the train works incredibly well, and that crane is especially well designed.

Edited by Stuartn

Great build! Love the combination of Classic Space and Monorail!

Interesting blend of themes. Seeing Space Police II and the others mixed in with Classic Space is cool. The rover is definitely a NPU.

Thanks for all your positive feedback!

On 1/11/2021 at 11:15 PM, Stuartn said:

Looks amazing. I like balance between the classic space feel and modernised building techniques/incorporation of new parts.

Although it is only a small part of the build, that little rover is excellent.

Using the rollercoaster parts for the train works incredibly well, and that crane is especially well designed.

Yes, I wanted to use the new rollercoaster tracksystem to avoid using old parts, which usually reduces the chance to get picked in case of a successfull supporting phase.

On 1/12/2021 at 10:02 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Interesting blend of themes. Seeing Space Police II and the others mixed in with Classic Space is cool. The rover is definitely a NPU.

Thank you! It was fun to build the rover, it was the last part I designed and I wanted to add another small play feature that has a connection to the first space theme :)

Feels like the space of old, especially the rollercoaster parts in place of the monorail 

Yeah, love this. Supported it a while ago. Really hope you get to the 10K!

Edited by badgerboy