Raptor in one picture

image.png.ad65e8bef606ab90303667a653155f61.pngimage.png.f7a2146e65354181851b8d8c6ded87a4.png

@rm8 Yes, but I think you have a print, not a sticker :laugh:

2 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

As others have said, I don't think this is a good move for Lego.  I still think they offer the best product for this market (plastic building blocks) but IMO I believe they are losing their identity and the margin between them and their competitors is shrinking.  I have been open about this in the past; I still buy Lego but I am looking into other products as well (CaDa, etc.).  

Many of their sets are becoming visionless and clear attempts to just raid our packets.  I think the days of caring for education and product quality are over.  

The poor quality or pandering of their sets I guess is not totally their fault.  After all, people will buy this stuff.  Actually, I think this set will be a huge hit - and unfortunately I think that says as much, if not more about us (not here on this site but consumers overall) than it does about TLG.  

But they eat it up. The money and attention. TLG has become your typical Westernized mega-business who gives up quality for quantity and shareholder attention.  I think the image above says alot.  Certainly a political statement.  When did TLG get into making political statements?  When it become popular to do so - thats when.  A genderless, or at least gender-neutral individual playing with their product.  Which, don't get me wrong, I have NO problem with gender-neutral or trans individuals but pasting such an image up there, to sell a truck (stereotypical male thing) during a time that it is exactly popular to do so (and really has not been done in the past) really shows me what TLG cares about.  It places appearance and market perception clearly above the product it actually puts out there.  So much time was probably spent on marketing this thing that not enough time and resources were left over to actually do it right.....

I completely agree with you! And I'm very glad that such opinions are expressed here. I'am also very much annoyed by this fact that Lego became involved in politics and not making a good product. Until now, I can't get away from the story with Bell Osprey, about the fact that military equipment is bad. Now they tell us that sexual diversity is good. They have given too much attention to this lately. And this is a company that just should be engaged in the production of toys for our children not brainwashing.

I'm very sorry for the offtopic, but it hurt me.

Edited by Igor1

710110f4-6225-40b8-b967-45596e557b35-1a1

Besides some of the technical aspect, visually I have the biggest issue with the bonnet, marked with yellow.
Why did they choose to make it so squared at the very front, instead of trying to make it follow the grill and headlines line, to be more oval and curvy? It probably looks even worse when observed from the top.

9 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

The way the front edge of the hood juts out over the headlights looks bloody terrible. :sick:

There should be a radiator grill (between the bumper and the hood), but they seem to have "forgotten" about it and pasted a sticker. As a result, to reduce the number of parts in the set.

Edited by Igor1

21 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

he way the front edge of the hood juts out over the headlights looks bloody terrible

I am pretty sure it will be the first thing to improve in topic related to this set improvements. Just like in 42128.

Edited by keymaker

3 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Certainly a political statement. When did TLG get into making political statements?  When it become popular to do so - thats when.  A genderless, or at least gender-neutral individual playing with their product.  Which, don't get me wrong, I have NO problem with gender-neutral or trans individuals but pasting such an image up there, to sell a truck (stereotypical male thing) during a time that it is exactly popular to do so (and really has not been done in the past) really shows me what TLG cares about. It places appearance and market perception clearly above the product it actually puts out there.

This paragraph isn't addressed to you, but is addressed to anyone who gets triggered by the words TLG, gender and politics in close proximity: I wanna caution anyone against leaping to the conclusion that TLG using an androgynous woman in the Raptor set promo is somehow a decision made at the expense of promoting product quality and mechanical education. The two are very much mutually exclusive. TLG have been skimping out on car features for longer than they've been including nontraditional characters in Technic promos (they also continue to include traditional characters - just look at their use of that absolute snacc of a man in the 42107 Ducati promos). Whatever social values they promote don't affect the type of product they're putting out. Anyone who has a problem with TLG making a positive political statement purely because it's a political statement, which doesn't affect product quality, should take a step back.

To address your actual comment, I don't blame them for following social trends. They're a profit-seeking company after all, and any chance they can take to improve public image and market share at little cost is a no-brainer.

I do agree, though, in that I lament that they don't try to use the Technic theme as a tool to promote better mechanical learning by cramming more functions into sets, namely with cars. A car at the $100USD price point really should be an opportunity to introduce someone to car gearboxes. The standard three-function car (engine, steering, suspension) should be smaller, somewhere between the Senna and the Charger.

Edited by Bartybum

8 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

This paragraph isn't addressed to you, but is addressed to anyone who may come across it, sees the words TLG, gender and politics in close proximity and immediately begins shaking with rage. I wanna caution anyone against leaping to the conclusion that TLG using an androgynous woman in the Raptor set promo is somehow a decision made at the expense of promoting product quality and mechanical education. The two are very much mutually exclusive. TLG have been skimping out on car features for longer than they've been including nontraditional characters in Technic promos (they also continue to include traditional characters - just look at their use of that absolute snacc of a man in the 42107 Ducati promos). Whatever social values they promote don't affect the type of product they're putting out.

To address your actual comment, I don't blame them for following social trends. They're a profit-seeking company after all, and any chance they can take to improve public image and market share is a no-brainer.

I do agree, though, in that I lament that they don't try to use the Technic theme as a tool to promote better mechanical learning by cramming more functions into sets, namely with cars. A car at the $100USD price point really should be an opportunity to introduce someone to car gearboxes. The standard three-function car (engine, steering, suspension) should sit at a price point somewhere between the Senna and the Charger, at about $75USD.

Good points and well said.  But at least for me, the main gist of no correlation between political standing and quality does not seem to hold up.  

But, I qualify my statement with really I have only been a fan of Lego, or at least a "re-fan" since around 2010.  Huge fan as a kid (like in the 80's) but for the following two decades Lego was lost on me.  In the past ten years, here are at least my humble observations.  

8070 was the set that brought me back.  Nothing great, sure, but at least there were functions.  No ackerman, etc. I get it.... but at least it had more than steering, suspension and a moving engine.  Unimog was inaccurate in terms of steering and suspension but again it had functions.  42009. Not great, but not bad.  Lots of functions.  

Perhaps now I am more seasoned technic consumer, I dunno, but nearly all sets released now are mechanically uninteresting.  And the motley of cars TLG releases are nearly non-functional.  The only thing (and this is with the UCS cars) that really they possibly can be released with that may have some interest is the gearbox which in the majority of the UCS cars HAVE NOT EVEN WORKED PROPERLY.  Shelf queen is a good term for them.  And here we have a truck whose real counterpart is known to possess some of the best an off-road truck has to offer and what do they come up with?  2WD and stickers.  In fact, as others have pointed out, the front bonnet is so bad without the perfect stickers to bring the Raptors identity I am not sure we would be able to tell this is a Raptor.   

FOr me at least, sets are becoming progressively worse.  Or perhaps, I am just getting more particular because I have been a fan now for some time.  Perhaps it is the natural progression of things.  I cant' really find a set that interests me.  I still buy them ... b/c I need the parts, but its been a while since I have even built an official set.  

Of course the two trends are separate and mutually exclusive, but one cannot fault folks if that is the conclusion they rest upon nonetheless.  The oats are looking heavily salted in that direction.  And its not just regarding the non-traditional characters thing... the point I made was about introducing politics, or their concern for being politically correct, no just regarding non-traditional characters thing.  The cancellation of the Osprey is a whole other can o'worms but pertinent to this issue.....

55 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

This paragraph isn't addressed to you, but is addressed to anyone who gets triggered by the words TLG, gender and politics in close proximity: I wanna caution anyone against leaping to the conclusion that TLG using an androgynous woman in the Raptor set promo is somehow a decision made at the expense of promoting product quality and mechanical education. The two are very much mutually exclusive. TLG have been skimping out on car features for longer than they've been including nontraditional characters in Technic promos (they also continue to include traditional characters - just look at their use of that absolute snacc of a man in the 42107 Ducati promos). Whatever social values they promote don't affect the type of product they're putting out. Anyone who has a problem with TLG making a positive political statement purely because it's a political statement, which doesn't affect product quality, should take a step back.

To address your actual comment, I don't blame them for following social trends. They're a profit-seeking company after all, and any chance they can take to improve public image and market share at little cost is a no-brainer.

In my opinion, we are slipping into politics, but using such methods Lego simply attracts more attention, causing unnecessary controversy and discussion. But these disputes are not in essence, but simply information noise. Аnd for me personally, the image of such companies is falling. I have a strong desire not to buy a new set if it was somehow emotionally badly accepted by me during its promotion. These are not social trends, but some kind of completely stupid marketing. Lego is clearly in some kind of crisis of new ideas and solutions now, but they are spending all their energy on marketing. Unfortunately, I watched the recent Lego CON live - it was the worst example of goofy promotion. Once again I apologize for the offtopic, but it seems Lego is releasing too boring a set to discuss it, and not how they do it.

Edited by Igor1

Hidden posts about the 10290. Let's keep the conversation about the Ford here, and we can discuss the 10290 pick up truck in the designated theme in the Special Themes forum.

1 hour ago, Igor1 said:

These are not social trends

I should clarify that I meant social values.

1 hour ago, Igor1 said:

In my opinion, we are slipping into politics, but using such methods Lego simply attracts more attention, causing unnecessary controversy and discussion.

Why is the onus on TLG for this, when the controversy's purely from someone taking offense at their progressive stance? When have they caused controversy based on a 'political statement'? Last I checked, Women of NASA and Everyone is Awesome haven't generated any backlash, and they're the largest things in recent history that could do it.

1 hour ago, Igor1 said:

I have a strong desire not to buy a new set if it was somehow emotionally badly accepted by me during its promotion.

We're talking about this within the scope of having a woman with short hair building a Ford Raptor, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

5 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Either way, the whole thing with the Osprey already showed us all that lego needs to accept societal change, be it in the general direction their toys are evolving (less technical depth, more flashiness to compete with ever more flashy entertainment), or when it  comes to vocal minorities shouting down anything pseudo military-related,

Let's also nip this in the bud. It's well established that the tiny protest wasn't what cancelled the Osprey. That set never should have existed in the first place.

Edited by Bartybum

9 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

On the topic of AIE,

No.
We wont go there.
Keep it Technic. Keep if Ford.

Moving back to the Ford, I see the blue connector #5 on the steering column as well as the blue rear shock mounts. Why not make the blue seats in this set too (from blue connectors, eg)? They would fit well with the orange body color. The seats look rustic and somewhere I've seen it all before. Why is Lego so generous with blue connectors again?

Edited by Igor1

9 minutes ago, Igor1 said:

Why is Lego so generous with blue connectors again?

How about stock clearance after producing it for the McLaren

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

5 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

How about stock clearance after using it for the McLaren

Yes, there were already 8 connectors # 5, but where to get all the rest? It looks like they added what was left of the McLaren inventory to the steering column. :sweet:

Edited by Igor1

3 hours ago, Igor1 said:

Now they tell us that sexual diversity is good.

Are you saying it isn't? If people and even companies does not stand up against the discrimination of others then who will? To think there is any correlation between the quality of TLG's products and their political/social views is completely illogical in my world.

41 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I should clarify that I meant social values.

Why is the onus on TLG for this, when the controversy's purely from someone taking offense at their progressive stance? When have they caused controversy based on a 'political statement'? Last I checked, Women of NASA and Everyone is Awesome haven't generated any backlash, and they're the largest things in recent history that could do it.

We're talking about this within the scope of having a woman with short hair building a Ford Raptor, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Let's also nip this in the bud. It's well established that the tiny protest wasn't what cancelled the Osprey. That set never should have existed in the first place.

Very well said.

Sorry for the off topic post but this is non the less a very important matter.

44 minutes ago, Milan said:

No.
We wont go there.
Keep it Technic. Keep if Ford.

I hereby formally request the deletion of my account, as i cant seem to do so myself.

If we cant discus the marketting surrounding this set, and illustrate that with other examples of how TLG handles this, you stiffle discussion, and i no longer see the point of this community. This place is overpoliced and the mods cant seem to deal with any criticism of lego as a company, and cowtows to lego trying to surpress leaks in a way directly against the people in the community.

im done

16 hours ago, zoo said:

Are you saying it isn't? If people and even companies does not stand up against the discrimination of others then who will? To think there is any correlation between the quality of TLG's products and their political/social views is completely illogical in my world.

This is a personal matter. I don't want the company that sells toys to involve my children in this ahead of time. In addition, I myself want to be engaged in raising my child and I don't care what any company thinks about this at all. Let them keep it to themselves. Here's what I said. I'm not discriminating against anyone here, but am I already being attacked? At the end, the point was that marketing of some set is (soft lgbt) brainwashing. And they began to use it too often, instead of making the sets themselves more interesting.

As already noted, Lego is engaged in hypocrisy in order to please "everyone". Don't just say now that EIA set are not for children. It's like Lego sets 18+. Children see all this and I don't think it's right. It's good that EIA won't be on sale in Russia, because I don't know what to tell my child who will meet this set in a toy store. Damn, I don't want to talk about this anymore. By the way, I like the body color of the Ford Raptor set.

Edited by Igor1

46 minutes ago, Igor1 said:

Yes, there were already 8 connectors # 5, but where to get all the rest? It looks like they added what was left of the McLaren inventory to the steering column. :sweet:

Perhaps the new Tow Truck will use some blue parts as well - or not, maybe they need more blue for other themes/ 2022 lineup. 

--------------

Btw in regards of front suspension, this would've been a perfect opportunity for a 3L male-male CV joint (I think CaDA made one for their Initial D cars rear suspension) or a floating diff setup (If I'm counting it correctly, there's 15 studs steering hub towball to steering hub towball?). 

Edited by syclone

On 7/1/2021 at 5:56 PM, vectormatic said:

I hereby formally request the deletion of my account, as i cant seem to do so myself.

That is correct, you can't. You can log out, and your account will be there if you decide to start posting again.

If we cant discus the marketting surrounding this set, and illustrate that with other examples of how TLG handles this, you stiffle discussion, and i no longer see the point of this community.

You were not discussing the marketing.
You started a discussion about the Everyone is Awesome set, and how you felt about it. In the Technic Ford F150 Raptor topic.
If you wanted to express your thoughts about Everyone is Awesome, and its marketing, there are two topics on Eurobricks about that. One is closed, and we all know why.

I do not want the same to happen here in Technic.

This place is overpoliced and the mods cant seem to deal with any criticism of lego as a company, and cowtows to lego trying to surpress leaks in a way directly against the people in the community.

This place is guided by a set of rules. The same rules you have agreed upon registering. The same rules we all follow.
I wont try to comment the rest of your sentence. 

14 minutes ago, Milan said:

That is correct, you can't. You can log out, and your account will be there if you decide to start posting again.

No, you are required by international law (GDPR, european privacy regulation) to delete my personal information upon my request. As my account mainly consists of my email adress and password (and EB also explicitly operates in the EU, of which im a resident) , you are absolutely required to comply.

Forum rules/guidelines are nice and all, but they do not supercede the law.

So to re-iterate (and paging an admin @Jim), i hereby request the deletion of my account, and any of my personal information currently on EB servers