Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

50 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Build the Bathroom and Hogsmeade over the last few days.

The bathroom has some really nice figures but is otherwise nothing to really write home about. The exterior looks rather awkward and the interior is just fine.

Hogsmeade is just fantastic in it's entirety. Fantastic figures, fantastic builds, fantastic details and so on. Really the only major flaw this set has are those horrible window stickers for Honeydukes, those really should've been printed.

And to cap it off all of my 6 Chocolate Frog Cards where unique so that's fantastic :excited:

^^ this!

absolutely loved the Hogsmead builds. I just hope they give us more in the future (a man can dream)!

The bathroom was hugely underwhelming to me, although I only really bought it to get Crab and Goyle, so wasn’t expecting much anyway. But it was still somehow a letdown.

Scored 5/6 on the chocolate frog cards, so very pleased there. Not sure what to do with them now though...

Edited by TheInvisibleMan

I haven't got

1 hour ago, TheInvisibleMan said:

The bathroom was hugely underwhelming to me, although I only really bought it to get Crab and Goyle, so wasn’t expecting much anyway. But it was still somehow a letdown.

I don't have the set and I'm probably not going to. The build looks tiny, the problem with the latest sets are they aren't deep enough, which means we only got half of the sink and bathroom.

Also I think the kind of frame around it makes it feel really boxed it so while it looks good in the expensive Chamber of Secrets set, it doesn't work well as a display piece on its own.

7 hours ago, Metanoios91 said:

Since someone asked previously about a Fluffy fix, here is my Mod of the new Fluffy:

Fluffy mod

I was one of the ones that asked, and thank you for delivering! You are amazing for this!!

Edited by evanevanevan

5 hours ago, (Insert Name Here) said:

Also I think the kind of frame around it makes it feel really boxed it so while it looks good in the expensive Chamber of Secrets set, it doesn't work well as a display piece on its own.

Probably the worst part about the build for me are the 2 large panels used for the back wall, they are simple but fairly effective when you look at the exterior but the interior does a very poor job covering up the hollow sides so it just ends up looking bad. Another thing is that the cubicle door should've really been bigger, though that's a minor fix you can easily do yourself.

9 hours ago, Metanoios91 said:

Since someone asked previously about a Fluffy fix, here is my Mod of the new Fluffy:

Fluffy mod

I didn't ask, but your modification is absolutely fantastic and looks so much better than the original version. I wonder why Lego's designers didn't design it that way? I guess what you did with the tires counts as an illegal technique, doesn't it? How stable is your build in comparison to Lego's original?

3 hours ago, Greshi210 said:

I didn't ask, but your modification is absolutely fantastic and looks so much better than the original version. I wonder why Lego's designers didn't design it that way? I guess what you did with the tires counts as an illegal technique, doesn't it? How stable is your build in comparison to Lego's original?

The heads can be posed just like with the ball joints and stay up (the heads aren't that heavy so the clip connection is strong enough). Lego designers have to think about small children throwing the toy around so they have to pay attention to that in their design decisions. My solution is better for aesthetic purposes, still can be posed (to an even larger extent than the ball joints because those are inhibited in their horizontal movement by the sides of the mixel connector) and looks better on display.

I don't think the use of the tires is illegal, because they are made of an elastomer and are not really stressed (or stressing other pieces). They rest loosely around the clip connection and the middle ball joint to hide them a bit, yet are loose enough so that they will adjust with the movement / posing and don't inhibit it all that much.

@eldiano thanks, you're very encouraging. I appreciate that. :classic:

@Metanoios91 you are the absolute bomb. Thank you very much for the work you put in and for sharing it. If you don't mind my asking, what did you do to list the parts with pictures (bricklink looks very different for me, for example), or was that on the lego site itself? 

Also, I was one of the people who had asked, and your Fluffy mod is great. :wub: I love the way it incorporates the collars, and it's amazing how much more robust the build works visually just by getting rid of those light grey neck pieces. That really makes such a difference. (I also enjoyed your witchard figbarfs on IG. ~~Which torso / skirt did you use for Karkaroff?~~ EDIT: I think it's Sensei Wu's.) 

Edited by krimimimi

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

[1] If you don't mind my asking, what did you do to list the parts with pictures (bricklink looks very different for me, for example), or was that on the lego site itself? 

[2] I also enjoyed your witchard figbarfs on IG. Which torso / skirt did you use for Karkaroff?

[1] I used a great addon for the chrome web browser called Brickhunter, which is ideal if you want to plan or manage your bricks and pieces or pick a brick orders. It has a lot of functionalities. One is to export and print a custom part list as a table. It also checks the current prices and availability of the pieces on the Lego website. Since you are German, you will have no problem reading the tutorial Stonewars posted awhile ago https://www.stonewars.de/anleitungen/brickhunter-browser-erweiterung/

[2] Sensei Wu's from the Ninjago movie https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=157328#T=S&O={"iconly":0} (just exchange the tan legs to black ones and add the fur collar from the Star Wars Han Solo set)

Edited by Metanoios91

Thx for the list of parts for the grey roof ! I'm about to swap the green roof for the grey one soon :) !

New sets are linking really good with the old ones. Now i'm just going to try to build a bridge and a big rock base :) !

Aucune description disponible.

After COS, hogsmeade, chess, fluffy, and 2x poly juice im 12/16 on the frog cards. Not great, but not awful. No individual set contained a double, so either I got lucky or they’ve slightly adjusted this.

also newt and lockhart are very similar so I didn’t realize I even had newt until closer inspection.

Edited by Archer

While I don't agree with the "DH is too dark for sets" argument, I can't really find fault with the designers' reasoning here that the DH movies don't lend themselves to toys on the same level as the earlier films do. That said, sets based on the Gringotts sequence and the Battle of Hogwarts would still be objectively good choices, both from a kids and collectors perspectives. If they released these two plus a couple of important characters in CMF form, I wouldn't complain :grin:

So what I'm hoping next year will bring are more Moments sets, 2 PS/CoS sets, 2 PoA/GoF sets, 2 playsets based on FB3, a buildable Niffler, a Battle of Hogwarts set, and a Gringotts D2C. In essence, I want them to completely abandon the two-films-per-year-with-some-extras structure and go wild :laugh:

I haven’t seen this mentioned before, but in the Fluffy set there are floating candles built with flame pieces in upside down white stud-with-hole pieces. Either they modified the mold of the stud with hole slightly or they have a production error with the piece. It will not hold the flame pieces what-so-ever, they are 100% unattached. The hole in the piece usually has four extremely subtle nubs to grip better, the new ones did not.

I definitely built the set right because when I grabbed older studs from my collection they worked just fine. I’m curious if this was a production error or new design oversight. I have bins full of the spare parts from sets so I’m not worried, but if a kid got this they may have no suitable replacements. And I can’t stress enough, there’s loose, then there’s unattached.

anyone else have this issue?

Somebody on another site was also having issues with the flame pieces.  I don't have the set yet but I encountered a similar issue with the Feather Plume for the Pirate in the 3-in-1 creator set.  Both included plumes do not fit in tightly to the hole in the Pirate Captain's hat so I'm not sure what they changed.  I haven't tried to fit in an older plume yet to figure if it's the hat or the plume that's at fault.

This is kind of random but I modded the Prefect's bathroom from the clocktower set to fit the new 8x16 module style. I love the print for the mermaid but the version of the room in that set is so small and doesn't really show off the window well. 

greArn2l.jpg
HyfRM2yl.jpg

28 minutes ago, Vorkosigan said:

This is kind of random but I modded the Prefect's bathroom from the clocktower set to fit the new 8x16 module style.

That looks awesome! Much nicer way to show off the mermaid design and give the Prefects' Bathroom its due.

Everyone else is trying to replace their green roofs with gray, and here I am wondering about replacing my gray roofs with green again!

I used gray roofs on my Great Hall as a kid, actually (the fabric pieces on 4709 didn't last) and kept sand green on the turrets, so I am personally not very concerned about mixing them around between sets as most. 4709 is still my favorite set of all time.

I am loving the new module system and already looking into rebuilding some previous sets to use it, hopefully including the Clock Tower as well as Dumbledore's Office, though I am debating going off the excellent 2010 design I love or trying to make it into the Great Tower. Still, it's exciting and it makes me want to MOC which I've not fully done in quite a while. I love what @vorkosigan did up there, for example, I'd like to do more like that!

I do think people need to chin up though. Yes, they redid the Great Hall, but many of these recent sets are still new locations. The Chamber of Secrets and Forbidden Corridor weren't included in the 2018-20 range, the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom is evergreen enough to be reused. We hadn't seen the Girls' Bathroom for CoS before either. It's not like they are doing a whole wave of remakes of 2018 sets imo. People are angry about the PS/COS sets because they feel like they were robbed Deathly Hallows sets, but I'm sure they are coming later on, just like Hogsmeade finally arrived, and I personally grew a little sick of Goblet of Fire sets especially with the Yule Ball figures in both the Clock Tower and the Advent Calendar at the same time and Cedric Diggory just everywhere. I'd prefer if LEGO kept several years in flux at once than tried to theme every wave on one or two movies.  We still need a Second Task set and a Durmstang ship isn't necessary but couldn't hurt. A lot of Dealthy Hallows is set away from the castle and I think that's a pretty practical reason why LEGO hasn't visited it as much. You wouldn't see a lot of fanfare for Xenophilius' House, Godric's Hollow or the middle of the forest. I'd love to see Malfoy Manor and people deserve a Gringotts I won't afford. We've also never seen a LEGO set based in any way on the Ministry of Magic.  PS/CoS could still use the Troll scene and the Chamber of Winged Keys though, nothing says they need to be avoided now.

I'm really surprised we haven't seen a decent Gryffindor or Slytherin Common Room though. I don't count the really lame, half-thought dormitory from the Whompiing Willow set. The 2010 Hogwarts had nice if small representations of both common areas. I kept thinking a Gryffindor Tower was an inevitable addition to the 2018-20 modular Hogwarts, and I'd still like to see a Bell Tower.

Edited by JVM

On 6/5/2021 at 11:54 PM, Metanoios91 said:

Since someone asked previously about a Fluffy fix, here is my modification of the new Fluffy:

Fluffy mod

Thank you, this is amazing! The original one is an abomination

I build Hogsmeade this weekend and luckily I got 4 unique chocolate frog cards so far: Dumbledore (silver), Dumbledore (gold), Lockhart, and Flamel. I got a duplicate of the first sticker sheet in that set (the sheet for Honeydukes).

On 6/5/2021 at 2:55 PM, TheInvisibleMan said:

We all bought it for the minifigs. :tongue: 

I think the bathroom is great, for the price it’s at. Plus, there isn’t much in the bathroom to replicate. The sink looks fantastic...and that’s pretty much all there is to the bathroom. Sure, it could’ve been a higher price tag & gotten a complete sink area & more stalls, but for what we got, it’s perfect. 

On 6/5/2021 at 2:54 PM, Metanoios91 said:

Since someone asked previously about a Fluffy fix, here is my modification of the new Fluffy:

Fluffy mod

This is awesome. Kudos. Genius idea of using the tires as collars. 

Have DA started to show up in normal stores in other countries?
At lot of D2C sets that came out later (even this year) have showed up, but not the DA :wacko: Almost starting to get worried that it will not show up there for some odd reason :sceptic:

3 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Have DA started to show up in normal stores in other countries?

A large online retailer in Switzerland does sell it, but I haven’t seen it anywhere else. Granted, I’ve only been to one toy shop and one physical retailer since the set was released, but it still seems rather rare :shrug_oh_well: The tag on s@h says “exclusive” rather than “hard to find”, so it may be a while before it finds its way into other stores 

16 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

While I don't agree with the "DH is too dark for sets" argument, I can't really find fault with the designers' reasoning here that the DH movies don't lend themselves to toys on the same level as the earlier films do. That said, sets based on the Gringotts sequence and the Battle of Hogwarts would still be objectively good choices, both from a kids and collectors perspectives. If they released these two plus a couple of important characters in CMF form, I wouldn't complain :grin:

So what I'm hoping next year will bring are more Moments sets, 2 PS/CoS sets, 2 PoA/GoF sets, 2 playsets based on FB3, a buildable Niffler, a Battle of Hogwarts set, and a Gringotts D2C. In essence, I want them to completely abandon the two-films-per-year-with-some-extras structure and go wild :laugh:

Or, hear me out - how about a whole DH-based wave (with a possibility of some FB3 sets) :devil:

13 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Or, hear me out - how about a whole DH-based wave (with a possibility of some FB3 sets) :devil:

That’d be my preference too, but after these comments by the designers, I’m not so sure anymore :sceptic: If we end up getting DH sets, it’s hard to imagine them not including at least 2 sets based on the earlier instalments in the same wave, just like they did last year with the Privet Drive set.

Moreover, the designers view this year’s sets as a soft reboot, implying that remakes aren’t off-limits :shrug_oh_well: I wouldn’t be surprised if PS Hagrid’s Hut was on the horizon 

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

That’d be my preference too, but after these comments by the designers, I’m not so sure anymore :sceptic: If we end up getting DH sets, it’s hard to imagine them not including at least 2 sets based on the earlier instalments in the same wave, just like they did last year with the Privet Drive set.

Moreover, the designers view this year’s sets as a soft reboot, implying that remakes aren’t off-limits :shrug_oh_well: I wouldn’t be surprised if PS Hagrid’s Hut was on the horizon 

To be completely frank, if I had to choose between DH wave in 2018-2020 style and a PoS / GoF wave with 2021 style, I'd choose the latter.

That'd mean we'd get DH sets in 2024 tho, but I could wait if it meant more sets in this style.

Ideally it would be a next year's wave with the year's style.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

On 6/6/2021 at 1:41 PM, Metanoios91 said:

The heads can be posed just like with the ball joints and stay up (the heads aren't that heavy so the clip connection is strong enough). Lego designers have to think about small children throwing the toy around so they have to pay attention to that in their design decisions. My solution is better for aesthetic purposes, still can be posed (to an even larger extent than the ball joints because those are inhibited in their horizontal movement by the sides of the mixel connector) and looks better on display.

I don't think the use of the tires is illegal, because they are made of an elastomer and are not really stressed (or stressing other pieces). They rest loosely around the clip connection and the middle ball joint to hide them a bit, yet are loose enough so that they will adjust with the movement / posing and don't inhibit it all that much.

Thanks for your answer, I guess what you say about Lego designers thinking about making sets for children makes a lot of sense!