Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

2 hours ago, jodawill said:

And a year later, they finally do something. Lots of speculation last year that they had plans, and nice that something has come through, but it still seems bizarre that they would reject your Ideas project. Especially a year ago when nothing like this was on the horizon.

1 hour ago, Space78 said:

Oh, boy, this may be the GWP I've been waiting for.  Have at least one large set on my Lego wishlist, so when this becomes available I'll be making some kind of purchase (or maybe two or three!)

One site mentioned $100 purchase threshold for the GWP, but I suspect it will be higher given how much is in this set.  

The Chinese promo poster is around $200-$250, and given the threshold for other retro GWPs of a decent size, I imagine it may be something similar. Fortunately (?!?!) so many of LEGOs current sets allow you to easily reach that threshold :hmpf:

It's very cool, but a shame that they didn't go for red and white space babies to match Galaxy Explorer and have reused blue. I suppose blue is in the Creator 3-in-1 roller coaster, so still in production after the CMF.

I expect red will show up in a non-GWP set. White wouldn't have been my first choice, personally, but I would prefer red, yellow, and black to show up in a set that's easier to obtain.

I was excited about the prints at first, but the slope on the small ship looks like a sticker to me, and that would make sense considering how many parts have the logo on them.

25 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

And a year later, they finally do something. Lots of speculation last year that they had plans, and nice that something has come through, but it still seems bizarre that they would reject your Ideas project. Especially a year ago when nothing like this was on the horizon.

Given time from concept to production, it would seem reasonable that they started thinking about the space theme for 2024 early in 2023, or maybe even before given how broad the space theme is this year.  So, very possible when @jodawill submitted his ideas set the space theme and various set ideas were already in the works.  Makes total sense to me they would not make both. 

@jodawill Agree, I don't think we are done with "space babies."

1 hour ago, jodawill said:

Well at least you know now why it was rejected - though given that Classic Space as a theme itself was in Production with the Galaxy Explorer, that alone might have been reason enough. Who knows.

56 minutes ago, Space78 said:

One site mentioned $100 purchase threshold for the GWP, but I suspect it will be higher given how much is in this set.  

Yeah, I would expect more. Something like 170-220.

Anyways the set will likely include a lot of Stickers for the classic Space logo but we at least are getting a new Baby colour - though normally it should be red and white, but it would have been unlikely to get two new babys with a gwp.

Anyone have a guess at the piece count in this set?  How many pieces are likely prints vs. stickers?  I'll be disappointed if there are no prints/all stickers.

Looks very nice, but considering the really small size of it (and the used pieces are even smaller) I'm willing to spend 100$ for it, certainly not more. Hope the new spaceship will be revealed soon.

Anyone have a guess at the piece count in this set?  How many pieces are likely prints vs. stickers?  I'll be disappointed if there are no prints/all stickers.

I wouldn´t expect any prints aside from the babys. The slope from the spaceship clearly is one, you can see it even with that bad quality and I don´t think they would make prints for the other parts just for a gwp.

I would guess for around 200 pieces, likely rather a bit more than less than that.

40712 will contain 325 pieces and include 2 new classic space babies in blue and white. The pic is visible in Brick Clicker's video.
Since a second certified store (this time from Australia) posted a picture, I'll add link to it here:
MicroRocketGWP_Offer.jpg

Edited by R0Sch
+pic

The blue baby is not new.  It was in last year's CMF with the brown spaceman.

Just now, Space78 said:

The blue baby is not new.  It was in last year's CMF with the brown spaceman.

Sorry, I got ahead of myself. Just the white one then.

6 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

$200/£170 threshold... I'll pass

I'll take yours. :classic:  Agree the threshold is high, for what on part count alone would be a $30 - $40 set retail.  That threshold and the limited time it will be available (Bricktastic is reporting February 19-25) will likely make this a scarce set resulting in a much higher "Bricklink" asking price on the secondary market.  I'm hoping this will coincide with another double Insider points offer. 

So for those who want this set, do you spend >$215 to get it or likely spend $70, $80, $?? to get it on the secondary market?  If one has been waiting to make a larger purchase from Lego for just such an offer, this will be an easy time to buy.  For others, maybe more challenging?

That's a new trans-yellow windscreen! The old one from SPIII back in 2010 was slightly smaller.

9 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

You can't be manning a space base white baby

Honestly, they aren´t really used as babys there but as smaller scale classic space minifigures. 

7 minutes ago, Space78 said:

I'll take yours. :classic:  Agree the threshold is high, for what on part count alone would be a $30 - $40 set retail.  That threshold and the limited time it will be available (Bricktastic is reporting February 19-25) will likely make this a scarce set resulting in a much higher "Bricklink" asking price on the secondary market.  I'm hoping this will coincide with another double Insider points offer. 

So for those who want this set, do you spend >$215 to get it or likely spend $70, $80, $?? to get it on the secondary market?  If one has been waiting to make a larger purchase from Lego for just such an offer, this will be an easy time to buy.  For others, maybe more challenging?

Brickclicker said it would be from 17th to 29th. And yeah, a GWP this big would have been surprising to be just 150 or so. 

2 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Honestly, they aren´t really used as babys there but as smaller scale classic space minifigures. 

Brickclicker said it would be from 17th to 29th. And yeah, a GWP this big would have been surprising to be just 150 or so. 

Agree, this is supposed to be "microscale" so not really space babies in this context, but microscale minifigures.

February 17-29 makes more sense than the 19-25 reported by Bricktastic.  I see Lego is running a valentines GWP now until the 14th.  So, maybe the space GWP will be 15th-29th?

It doesn´t seem that unlikely that there will just not be any GWP from 15th to 16th. Or they will sell leftover Valentine ones if they have enough of them left.

Super cute, but no interest in buying enough to get it. I'll pick it up at my local Bricks n Minifigs like I did the Majestro GWP, lol.

3 minutes ago, novareb said:

Super cute, but no interest in buying enough to get it. I'll pick it up at my local Bricks n Minifigs like I did the Majestro GWP, lol.

Curious how much you'd expect or be willing to pay for the set on the secondary market?

18 minutes ago, Space78 said:

Curious how much you'd expect or be willing to pay for the set on the secondary market?

Expect: 60+

Willing: 30-50$ (I got the Majestro GWP NIB for like 45$ I think, but it was free after I got store credit for a Killow bigfig hehe)

So for those who want this set, do you spend >$215 to get it or likely spend $70, $80, $?? to get it on the secondary market? 

I expect the value to be up to 35$/€ max; so I certainly wouldn't pay more than 40 including shipping. I don't need a sealed set and I can be very patient.

1 hour ago, Murdoch17 said:

That's a new trans-yellow windscreen! The old one from SPIII back in 2010 was slightly smaller.

I hope we'll see more of these!

6 hours ago, Space78 said:

I'll end up buying it first go around rather than secondary market for the sheer reason that I really want to get it as a CS fan. If it was something like the moving truck or flower pot from 2 years ago where the demand maybe wasn't the strongest, definitely second market but I think everyone is going to want one of these. I got burned a couple times missing out on promos I really wanted so if I know what I want I'm getting it and living with no regrets. Also, this year I have a very large wishlist already so there's no shortage of sets to buy. If there isn't a x2 VIP I'll be miffed by missing out but still spend the money and have Xmas gifts put away. It's not often Lego does a space GWP/CS set.

1 hour ago, Khargeust said:

I won't take it. I'd have prefer minifig scale.

Technically, it is minifig scale... just for baby minifigs. :grin: You could consider it playground equipment.