Lyichir

LEGO Sci-Fi Ongoing - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

22 hours ago, Oky said:

The leaked Dreamzzz sticker sheet features a variation of the CS logo with an hourglass and a few figs with useful-looking futuristic armor and Cyberpunk hairstyles, so it looks like we might indeed get our space fix from this theme!

While that may be true, two very important parts were not shown, the classic space helm in green and gray.

16 minutes ago, Inspecter said:

While that may be true, two very important parts were not shown, the classic space helm in green and gray.

The sets have not been revealed yet, and recoloured CS helmets are nothing but wishful thinking (as far as I am aware). 

4 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The sets have not been revealed yet, and recoloured CS helmets are nothing but wishful thinking (as far as I am aware). 

Wishful and hopeful, and like I said in the other thread, I'm sure the purple helmet and tanks was wishful thinking before appearing and a set no one would've expected them to appear in. Also it helps that one of the sets is a space bus.

After driving me crazy with either butchering the original idea or throwing out sets with insulting pricetags, I have to say that 21340 Tales of the Space Age looks pretty good! It's colorful, it's not pretentious and it's affordable as far as Lego goes. I might buy a Lego set once again for the first time after I switched to other brands completely not so long ago.

Edited by Merlo

Looks really good, might well be the first ideas set I buy since the sonic set last year...

47 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The newer classic space helmet in black is about to get a lot cheaper on BL, they're in the dreamz sets.

It's also on PAB for about 18c I think. Just had a few arrive yesterday in an order from March.

Ohh I thought that was a black space baby at first! Is that a new mushroom fig or whatever they're called with a black helmet?

Edited by danth

48 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

It's also on PAB for about 18c I think. Just had a few arrive yesterday in an order from March.

Well that's good to know. Time to order like 30.

On 4/13/2023 at 12:27 AM, Merlo said:

After driving me crazy with either butchering the original idea or throwing out sets with insulting pricetags, I have to say that 21340 Tales of the Space Age looks pretty good! It's colorful, it's not pretentious and it's affordable as far as Lego goes. I might buy a Lego set once again for the first time after I switched to other brands completely not so long ago.

They totally butchered 21340; removing the purple from one, angling the other one wrong/ changing the colors, adding that terrible green one (when the creator has better ones on his rebrickable), and making it 50 dollars for that tiny set (not my biggest gripe though).

On 5/13/2023 at 2:45 AM, Time77 said:

They totally butchered 21340; removing the purple from one, angling the other one wrong/ changing the colors, adding that terrible green one (when the creator has better ones on his rebrickable), and making it 50 dollars for that tiny set (not my biggest gripe though).

C'mon son. 21340 looks a lot like the idea, I don't think anyone can deny that. Compare that to so many other sets where the idea was "instant buy at full price" and the final product was "not interested enough to buy at all".

On 5/17/2023 at 6:25 AM, Merlo said:

C'mon son. 21340 looks a lot like the idea, I don't think anyone can deny that. Compare that to so many other sets where the idea was "instant buy at full price" and the final product was "not interested enough to buy at all".

But what they've changed and added makes me uninterested. What you've described, is what I'm feeling; the original was great, but what they're producing is really rubbish compared to the original. 

Edited by Time77

Apparently there is a Lego marketing campaign featuring white Classic Space minifigs that were actually sent to space.

ftx2wPywNBYa7KAJqtgpTL-970-80.jpg

Too bad the marketing campaign is definitely not for making more unlicensed sci-fi Space sets. 😒

On 5/24/2023 at 10:02 PM, danth said:

Apparently there is a Lego marketing campaign featuring white Classic Space minifigs that were actually sent to space.

Too bad the marketing campaign is definitely not for making more unlicensed sci-fi Space sets. 😒

Cool, this does make me think though, at this point are the classic space astronauts just sorta a permanent fixture of LEGO from here on out? Probably a dumb thought but just sorta what my brain goes to seeing such a large pallet of newly printed ones, currently there are 3 (and a half) of them in production and since 2019 there's been a steady stream of official, dedicated (by which I mean merch solely based on CS, not just references in other sets) stuff with them.

4 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Cool, this does make me think though, at this point are the classic space astronauts just sorta a permanent fixture of LEGO from here on out? Probably a dumb thought but just sorta what my brain goes to seeing such a large pallet of newly printed ones, currently there are 3 (and a half) of them in production and since 2019 there's been a steady stream of official, dedicated (by which I mean merch solely based on CS, not just references in other sets) stuff with them.

It certainly seems Classic Space is getting a lot more attention since 2019 especially. (technically it started with 2014 LEGO Movie 1 and Exo Suit, but there wasn't that much inbetween 2014 and 2019)

While City Space and possibly even the Galaxy Explorer might be retiring at the end of this year (based on lists), I doubt that's the end.

Set 31111 Cyber drone lasted 3 full years as well , with the Spyrius robot inspired face.

The new 3-in-1 Space roller coaster, while very Nasa/Mars inspired,  has multiple Classic Space references as well with the space baby, and 2 classic space related torsos (which have been used before but still 3 references in 1 set)

I still wouldn't rule out some form of Classic Space dedicated 3-in-1 set (that's not a theme park ride), or perhaps more Icons down the line as time goes on.

However, themes like Ice Planet, Blacktron 2, or M-tron, , seem far less likely with the looming retirement of transparent neon green, and transparent neon orange already being gone at the moment.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, danth said:

This is about as close as we'll get to a new Space theme:

What does this have to do with space? I’d say the Space subtheme of City or the space sets from Monkie Kid are as close as we get (which is pretty close). 

For @danth, Space is windscreens in unusual transparent colors, and windscreens in unusual transparent colors are Space.*

* Slightly exaggerated.

Edited by icm

23 minutes ago, icm said:

For @danth, Space is windscreens in unusual transparent colors, and windscreens in unusual transparent colors are Space.*

* Slightly exaggerated.

I feel like I'm being mocked. 😁

But yeah, two differently colored windscreens in one set? And none of them are trans clear/light blue/black? Has that ever happened before? Admittedly that didn't happen in Space sets either.

28 minutes ago, Oky said:

What does this have to do with space? I’d say the Space subtheme of City or the space sets from Monkie Kid are as close as we get (which is pretty close). 

Sorry, I guess my comment sounds pretty weird.

In my defense I said "theme" not "set". Basically if Lego release a brand new Space theme this year with two different factions, these two color schemes could each totally work for the two factions. And the green car could almost be a rover with a few tweaks.

Add the fact that neither build appears to have stickers, and that both drivers look fairly generic and don't have crazy hair or, like, tails and stuff, it has the "feel" of a classic set.

Add in a few air tanks, and make the pink/black car into a proper space ship, and this is exactly what I would want out of a new Space theme.

Edited by danth

2 hours ago, icm said:

For @danth, Space is windscreens in unusual transparent colors, and windscreens in unusual transparent colors are Space.

Ah, I see. 😁 Well, my point about the Monkie Kid sets still stands even by this definition. 
But yeah, if you want to invent your own Space factions, this is a nice parts pack. 

For those in Australia, the Blacktron GWP is back on LEGO Shop online (same $310 threshold as before)

As pointed out by The Rambling Brick, the robots in the new Ninjago Dragon Power Spinjitzu Flip sets have strong Classic Space vibes  

2q8a7556.jpg?strip=info&w=1200