Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[BTV1-TER] Raising the Westface Militia

The outskirts of Westface are dotted with small holdings and villages which give way to larger plantations the further south one travels. In these rural and semi-rural hamlets, Terraversans have led largely peaceful lives since the hard won independence of a few years previously. Many of the veterans of that conflict have settled the fertile area where they and their families work the land.

Now; with the unprovoked and unjust invasion of Terraversa by the forces of Oleon, the peaceful lives these families led has once again been shattered. Authorities in Westface have urgently called for the Militia to be raised, a call largely unnecessary as most of those in the area are outraged by the invasion and had already began preparations to resist.

The militia; a mixture of hardened veterans of the War of Independence and younger new comers, take pride in their motley mixture of uniforms. As that conflict was against Mardier, these hoary old veterans scorn the trend of the regular units and newer militiamen to wear yellow, once the colour of the enemy. Instead, most wear their old homespun jackets in dull and neutral colours from the first conflict. Nicknamed the ‘Brown Coats’ you won’t find these men fighting in neat lines and marching with perfect timing. Expert marksmen with years of experience in the local environment, they will resist the vile invaders with the same ferocity they demonstrated overthrowing Marderian tyranny.

50434842358_1d8a7540b6_z.jpg

In this scene; so typical on the outskirts of Westface these days, a veteran militiaman says goodbye to his wife and daughter. His daughter hands him his tricorne, which she has decorated with a white swan feather for good luck. It is a poignant moment and she fervently entreats the Gods to return her father to her safely.

50435532981_c3dc18199b_z.jpg

Meanwhile, the company officer (who coincidently is the militiaman’s brother-in-law) waits with other militiamen and Atwi allies. He has another eight farmsteads to visit today, before proceeding into Westface for further orders.

An overview of the whole scene:

50435702087_41a1f9333c_z.jpg

Well... it seems poor little Terraversa is not getting much support; while builds supporting Oleon just keep coming! So I thought I'd lend my hand to the poor oppressed Terraversans! Will anyone else join me in supporting the underdog in this fight???! :pir_laugh2:

Excellently built with some sad moments of farewell. If those greencoats and browncoats torsos are stickered, then they are absolutely great as well! Finally, that old horse makes the whole scene so old school like the TV soldiers that will be soon running away from the front :pir_laugh2:

Good story and, as always, an excellent build.

I am glad that you are helping poor little Terraversa.:pir-huzzah2: It's much more interesting to support the underdog.

So beautiful. This is so lovely and everything is perfect. But one thing - 

3 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

50434842358_1d8a7540b6_z.jpg

It's Owen Grady and Red! And fleshies too! :pir-thumb:the building in this scene is very, very nice, reflecting the kind of buildings one would find in a Teraversan village. How can you ever improve on these perfect builds of yours? 

48 minutes ago, NOD said:

Good story and, as always, an excellent build.

I am glad that you are helping poor little Terraversa.:pir-huzzah2: It's much more interesting to support the underdog.

I will be, but not sure about letters of Marque yet. 

Edited by Count Vroskri

That ist just so good. Your very clear and recognisable style is fantastic, yet you never stop to amaze and always bring in some new elements (I love that small olive green plant behind the big barrel).

And great to see some love for TER.

These brown uniforms are quite cool.  Great house design too, though that tree seems a bit chaotic.  I really like the story you've told with the minifigure posing!

Another excellent build! Your builds never disappoint and this is no exception. I like the accompanying story and all of the figures and their posing. The way you did the slung rifle is neat too (kneedable eraser?).

As I said with the yellow TV soldiers: too bad there are no more official soldier torsos than the red and blue ones we have now. The stickers are very well done however. Brown is a neat color to add. Are the browncoats a nod to the Browncoats of Serenity fame :grin: ?

Excellent build in its own right, and absolutely excellent story to go along with it. I too would like to know how you gave the impression of that slung rifle.

The full lego shots are my favourites - the overview shot is a bit too shiny for my taste - it looks almost like a render. Your roof, particularly the overhand out front, may be a bit too thin to properly reflect a thatched roof. I like the tudor style, and the door and window frames really shine. You also do a great job of making the scene come alive with all sorts of little implements throughout.

Well done, and good to see some love for Terraversa!

Thanks all!

On 10/8/2020 at 7:13 PM, blackdeathgr said:

If those greencoats and browncoats torsos are stickered, then they are absolutely great as well!

I started making the yellow coat torsos with sticky paper, but these new ones are just printed on plain paper and attached to the torso with a glue stick. For such a simple solution, it works surprisingly well I think.

21 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

It's Owen Grady and Red!

Lol, yeah I realised it was Chris Pratt only after I finished the scene. I have a limited number of fleshies (compared to my yellow collection) so when I picked hair for that particular face, it just happened to be the hair TLG designed to go with it!! The redhaired wife was just coincidence as I wanted to use the new HP Ginny CMF as the daughter.

14 hours ago, Khorne said:

Are the browncoats a nod to the Browncoats of Serenity fame :grin: 

I did think of that when I typed out the story! But they were more a nod towards the American militia units in the war of independence.

15 hours ago, Khorne said:

The way you did the slung rifle is neat too (kneedable eraser?). 

49 minutes ago, Bregir said:

I too would like to know how you gave the impression of that slung rifle.

I totally cheated - Blu-tack!

Fantastic build, as someone used to say.:pir_laugh2: The base is really cool, the tan and light green look good together. I like your technique for straw roof too. And it's sad spectable to see ancient combattants go front again, but there's still time for them to go back home now.

That's a fantastic Terraversan scene right there, Ayrlego - so much to like about this, from the cottage to the terrain (excellent use of tiles) to those superb brown uniforms!  The repeated dark orange hints give this a great dash of color, but somber enough that it matches the purpose of the build very nicely.  And, blu-tack or not, that slung rifle is just sweet! :grin: :wub:  

With this kind of start on both sides, I can't wait to see what we'll be getting coming out of the events on TER!