rock raider

[MOC] HMS BIRCH

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This has been my Quarantine project for the past few months and, now that I'm going back to work full time, I probably won't have much time to finish it soon. It's getting close though so I thought I'd post it. Without further ado, my first frigate.

HMS BIRCH

50098155923_a991d5e96a_c.jpg

50098736831_06350a2f87_c.jpg

50098156428_af5dccb87b_c.jpg

50098156803_1cbb3dea6f_c.jpg

50098739771_9344394635_c.jpg

All of the deck can be removed to see the gun deck

50098738171_87dd8f5629_c.jpg

50098159243_a5e78792ef_c.jpg

 

And the helm works! I'm pretty proud of the rope system that I was able to implement that works just like the real steering systems of the time. 

50098740186_5269aefcb1_c.jpg

Clicking on the above picture will take you to the video of it working on my Flickr

 

50098962932_bc94c0ded6_c.jpg

Thanks for viewing. As always, comments and constructive criticism are welcome. Since this is my first ship of this size and I plan to finish and re-work some parts, I welcome any suggestions.

Edited by rock raider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rock raider said:

 

50098736831_06350a2f87_c.jpg

 

50098156803_1cbb3dea6f_c.jpg

 

All of the deck can be removed to see the gun deck

50098738171_87dd8f5629_c.jpg

Nice! :pir-huzzah2:

4 hours ago, rock raider said:

And the helm works! I'm pretty proud of the rope system that I was able to implement that works just like the real steering systems of the time. 

50098740186_5269aefcb1_c.jpg

Clicking on the above picture will take you to the video of it working on my Flickr

This is so good! :pir-love:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like your boat and especially the steering system!

Thank you for the picture, it's interesting to see how you have achieved some questions, like to include the masts not only on top of the deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great vessel !

I like the functional steering system; the cabstan and the front chaser gun are nice too !

The rigging is simple but efficient; I'd love to see some sails on this ship; it would add a lot !

Great job so far; keep up the good job :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, rock raider said:

This has been my Quarantine project for the past few months and, now that I'm going back to work full time, I probably won't have much time to finish it soon. It's getting close though so I thought I'd post it. Without further ado, my first frigate.

HMS BIRCH

50098155923_a991d5e96a_c.jpg

 

 

50098156803_1cbb3dea6f_c.jpg

 

 

Your ship becomes something unique with your photos. I see and recognize the details and they are really very good. The soldiers are very well presented in the photos.

I particularly like these photos. I wanted and want to take a similar photo. I hope that I can after building my ship publish it.

I am honest and judge what I see. The masts are initially yellow and have 2 black stripes. It looks really good. After that, the masts are only black. I know that due to the components it is not possible to do otherwise. Somehow it doesn't go together. Judge yourself. Black and yellow looks good on the hull. With the masts?

Edited by NOD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 6:24 PM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Nice! :pir-huzzah2:

This is so good! :pir-love:

Thank you! 

On 7/12/2020 at 8:25 AM, 5N00P1 said:

I really like your boat and especially the steering system!

Thank you for the picture, it's interesting to see how you have achieved some questions, like to include the masts not only on top of the deck.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it, I put a lot of thought into that part. I really wanted to show some of the details on my ship because I found it frustrating that, while researching and designing this, I couldn't see those details in other models online.

12 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Great vessel !

I like the functional steering system; the capstan and the front chaser gun are nice too !

The rigging is simple but efficient; I'd love to see some sails on this ship; it would add a lot !

Great job so far; keep up the good job :thumbup:

Thank you. Sails are the next step along with flushing out the rigging. The ratlines are going to take forever :pir-oh3:

Does any one know of any good sail making tutorials? I've only found topics about replicating the official Lego sails on the forum. 

3 hours ago, NOD said:

 

Your ship becomes something unique with your photos. I see and recognize the details and they are really very good. The soldiers are very well presented in the photos.

I particularly like these photos. I wanted and want to take a similar photo. I hope that I can after building my ship publish it.

I am honest and judge what I see. The masts are initially yellow and have 2 black stripes. It looks really good. After that, the masts are only black. I know that due to the components it is not possible to do otherwise. Somehow it doesn't go together. Judge yourself. Black and yellow looks good on the hull. With the masts?

Thank you. I wanted to tell a story with the pictures and I know Mister Phes always complains when people post their MOCs without Minifigs :pir_laugh2:

I see what you mean about the masts. There's a bit of a contrast between the uppers and the lowers. I may consider reworking that but I still really like the look. I'll have to see how it looks once the sails are on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks really nice!

 

I love the fact you made a working rudder, definitely have to try that myself in the future.

 

Just wondering though, how did you make your sloped sides so smooth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 2:41 AM, rock raider said:

Without further ado, my first frigate. 

Nice work on your first frigate, @rock raider!

It's been posted in the Classic Pirates Facebook Group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2020 at 3:35 AM, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Looks really nice!

 

I love the fact you made a working rudder, definitely have to try that myself in the future.

 

Just wondering though, how did you make your sloped sides so smooth?

Thanks. 

I'm not sure if you mean the tumblehome angle or the gradual widening of the beam towards amidships, but the angle is achieved with hinges made of 1x2 plate with clip and 1x2 plate with handle pieces. The base of the wall is resting on cheese slopes to give it a nice angle with no gap. The increased beam achieved with jumper plates and a half stud offset for the second and fourth sections so that the hull effectively goes from a width of 16 studs to 17 to 18 and back down to 17 and 16. 

Not sure if this is super clear. I'll try to take some pictures to show you what I mean.

50121065846_6cfc6512ef_c.jpg

50121065841_ba1ec5fdd6_c.jpg

On 7/15/2020 at 10:53 AM, Mister Phes said:

Nice work on your first frigate, @rock raider!

It's been posted in the Classic Pirates Facebook Group.

Thank you! It's exciting to see my MOC on the Facebook page.

Edited by rock raider
Added pictures for clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rock raider said:

-snip-

Thanks!

It's basically the same system I used except I wasn't using the off-set plates for my decks. Will definitely have to see if I can get it to work my with masts now :D

 

Thank you for the pictures, they're a great inspiration!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 2:33 AM, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Thanks!

It's basically the same system I used except I wasn't using the off-set plates for my decks. Will definitely have to see if I can get it to work my with masts now :D

 

Thank you for the pictures, they're a great inspiration!

Sure thing. I look forward to seeing your ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, rock raider said:

50098156428_af5dccb87b_c.jpg

 

@Mister Phes says right. MOCs with minifigs look more realistic and interesting.

In the meantime, I have looked at a lot of pictures, because I myself am building a MOD from the 21322 Barracuda Ship. Without sails is a contrast between the uppers and the lowers on the masts, with sails it is less noticeable. In addition, the yellow and black really looks very good on your masts. Leave it as it is, with sail your ship will be even more beautiful!

How long does it take from your idea to build your ship?  I'm curious because I've been building my ship for 3 months, and that's just a MOD. Because I change a lot, It takes me a long time to build. If something is not good or I don't like it on my ship, I change it. Unfortunately, I mostly need bricks that I have to order first.

How did you get the name "BIRCH" on the ship? It doesn't look like a decal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NOD said:

@Mister Phes says right. MOCs with minifigs look more realistic and interesting.

In the meantime, I have looked at a lot of pictures, because I myself am building a MOD from the 21322 Barracuda Ship. Without sails is a contrast between the uppers and the lowers on the masts, with sails it is less noticeable. In addition, the yellow and black really looks very good on your masts. Leave it as it is, with sail your ship will be even more beautiful!

How long does it take from your idea to build your ship?  I'm curious because I've been building my ship for 3 months, and that's just a MOD. Because I change a lot, It takes me a long time to build. If something is not good or I don't like it on my ship, I change it. Unfortunately, I mostly need bricks that I have to order first.

How did you get the name "BIRCH" on the ship? It doesn't look like a decal.

 

I think I'll be able to show it with the sails on soon. I think it looks better already.

I have been working on this project since the beginning of April. I spent about a month researching and designing the hull in Studio before I started ordering the parts. I then spent about a month designing it digitally and physically concurrently, designing the deck and masts while making adjustments to the hull as I discovered different issues and opportunities. Then I spent the next month designing and constructing entirely physically while I worked out the rigging and rebuilt parts of the hull. Since I first posted this I've been working on the sails and a bit more on the rigging. I've still got a lot more to do as eventually, I would like to have the rigging be nearly fully functional.

...So, in short, about 4 months.

 

The name is actually half of the 2 part printed "BIRCH BOOKS" sign from the recent modular bookstore set. I picked the name based on what 2 x 4 printed tiles were available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

UPDATE: The sails are on!

50157762571_b24bd62b73_c.jpg

50157762176_f47d2fd4ce_c.jpg

50157997677_918aee929a_c.jpg

 

It also appears that the BIRCH has been captured by the British.

50157997722_378f2e540d_c.jpg

 

50157998002_8001e83ce4_c.jpg

50157762521_ba4de4cc34_c.jpg

Thanks for viewing. There are more shots on my Flickr.

As always, constructive feedback is appreciated.

Edited by rock raider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The ship looks grandiose with sails! Great that bungee jumping can do to. The sailor does not seem to be happy.

A lantern is missing on one side of the stern. This was probably destroyed when the British captured the ship.

I know that too. After I taking the photos, I see the mistakes.

Edited by NOD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful ship... With sails she is even more magnificient. Amazing job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 2:03 AM, NOD said:

The ship looks grandiose with sails! Great that bungee jumping can do to. The sailor does not seem to be happy.

A lantern is missing on one side of the stern. This was probably destroyed when the British captured the ship.

I know that too. After I taking the photos, I see the mistakes.

Thank you. Yes, I found the lantern on the floor while I was uploading the photos. I was hoping no one would notice. Whoops :pir_laugh2:

On 7/27/2020 at 7:05 AM, Fraunces said:

Beautiful ship... With sails she is even more magnificient. Amazing job

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an impressive piece of work! So much time and effort went into this but it was worth it. I just rediscovered Lego again after the odd 25+ years and this kind of MOC is a whole different kind of game than I did as a kid long time ago *oh2*.

Jawdropping work skipper!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really love this ship and also that you made a working rudder using the mechanism that you'd find on a ship of this type and era. I wanted to do that to mine as well, but then I wouldn't have been able to access the cabin anymore, so I decided to not do it.

The colourscheme is nice, the rigging and the sails are a delight and I really like the stern decorations and shape. How did you print the name of the ship on those tiles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.