Didumos69

42107 - Ducati Panigale V4R - Mods and improvements

I changed the paddockstand to give it more stability.

50698712353_30aaa0f81e_z.jpgIMG_8570 by Coen S, on Flickr

50699459736_780e97f019_z.jpgIMG_8569 by Coen S, on Flickr

Works well.

Now trying to add front fender and brake calipers. That pretty much solve the main issues I have with this model.

I’m not ready a motorcycle guy, but was given the Ducati Panigale V4R as a Christmas gift. Built it on a wet Boxing Day day and following up with a few mods during January as parts arrived.

Black hot dogs being one of the more humorous uses as brake levers, grips added along with various Red and Light Bluish Grey Technic Panels cleaning up the body panels. Bionicles elements used as heel-guards, a printed Round Tile for the International Space Station as the filler cap. Also radiator, headlight and front mudguards added.

50892048763_da09c0e28e_c_d.jpg

Just waiting for two Technic Panels for a symmetrical rear mudguard.

1 hour ago, LegoHoops said:

I’m not ready a motorcycle guy, but was given the Ducati Panigale V4R as a Christmas gift. Built it on a wet Boxing Day day and following up with a few mods during January as parts arrived.

Black hot dogs being one of the more humorous uses as brake levers, grips added along with various Red and Light Bluish Grey Technic Panels cleaning up the body panels. Bionicles elements used as heel-guards, a printed Round Tile for the International Space Station as the filler cap. Also radiator, headlight and front mudguards added.

*snip*

Just waiting for two Technic Panels for a symmetrical rear mudguard.

Looking really nice - any chance at some more closeups of the front fork?

For those (like me) who do not like the stand and would rather use a kickstand :

Ducati_with_stand_2.jpg

(this can be made with parts already in the set and will save most of the stand's ones, by the way)

Edited by Celeri

Another kickstand possibility :

Ducati_with_stand_3-1.jpg

More stable and (somewhat) aesthetic, but cannot be done with the set's parts...

Hello everyone,

I've built two functional paddock stands which might be of interest and I'd like to share.

All pictures on Bricksafe

MOC_42107-Ducati-Panigale-Paddock-Stands

The bike can be raised and lowered by operating the stands, while remaining reasonably vertical in the process.

The front stand is modelled on the type used by Ducati SBK racing teams. It allows the wheel to be removed while raised.

[It requires a very minor modification on the bike: at step 116/4 of the instructions, substitute the normal black pin with a 3L axle1&pin, and add a 1/2 bush.]

This rear stand is my best attempt to adapt the design of the real thing to the Lego model. It does provide enough support on its own, so the bike won't fall over even in the less ideal situation of it being steered to the right. The rear wheel can be rotated while raised, although not removed.

Also, to improve the action and look of the chain, I substituted the 16-tooth gear with two old 14-tooth gears (4143) and removed one chain link (for a new total of 34). It fits perfectly and works quite smoothly.

Edited by phmzt
fixed the embedded pictures

Tiny modification to the engine, in case you're interested.

From what I could learn on the Ducati website, the Desmosedici Stradale engine has a 70° crankshaft configuration.

I suppose a 90° configuration is the closest Lego approximation, so I've modified the engine, because by following the instructions the crankshaft ends up in a 180° configuration.

MOC_Ducati-Panigale-Crankshaft.jpg

[kit crankshaft above, 90° crankshaft below]

The block holding the cylinders must be moved from the side to the middle.

MOC_Ducati-Panigale-Engine.jpg

A side effect of this is that the cylinders are now centred in the frame of the bike.

MOC_Ducati-Panigale-Cylinders.jpg

On 1/31/2021 at 5:26 PM, LegoHoops said:

50892572263_ac2af52e97_c_d.jpg

@LegoHoops (or anyone else) is there any chance you'd be willing to explain how to get the fork apart to install the 22961 (Axle and Pin Connector Hub with 1 Axle)? I can get the top cap off but I couldn't see if the best way was to remove the slider from the upper stanchion or to get the axle holder off the end of the slider. The slider appears to have a spline on the end of it and then some sort of node on the end that's pressed through the axle holder? I'm clumsy and I would break it if I tried to figure it out myself.

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask!

Thanks.

On 6/11/2020 at 5:26 PM, Didumos69 said:

I think these side panels could be attached slightly better[snip]

Nice mod, makes the fairings a little more rigid, and brings the bottom of the bike just a little narrower.

On 6/11/2020 at 9:06 PM, Vectormatic said:

As soon as i saw the rubber band used to link engine and drivetrain, i knew something had to be done [snip]

Great mod! It gives the engine a decent speed, makes the gearchange more noticeable, and reduces friction in the gear train a lot.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:27 PM, agrof said:

@vectormatic Same thoughts here too. Though it is not 100% aligned, but does the job properly - and just a tad harder shifting feel [snip]

Very good mod! I never liked rubber bands on principle, and here they just weren't the right solution. This works even better if you let the pin hub connector slide onto the grey half-pin (yes I know that is illegal)

800x450.jpg

On 4/9/2021 at 10:28 PM, phmzt said:

Also, to improve the action and look of the chain, I substituted the 16-tooth gear with two old 14-tooth gears (4143) and removed one chain link (for a new total of 34). It fits perfectly and works quite smoothly.

Yes! It works great, and frankly those 14t gears are nearly useless for anything else as they require such perfect alignment to work nicely as bevel gears.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:06 PM, phmzt said:

Tiny modification to the engine [snip] the cylinders are now centred in the frame of the bike [sinip]

It's mildly satisfying to know it has a more-realistic crankshaft, but centring the engine in the frame has really helped my OCD-eye.

My personal preference doesn't extend to greebling such as brake levers etc., and I definitely wouldn't restrict suspension movement to add those. Even so, some nice work has been shared, I especially liked the hot dogs!

I will have a look later at how best to solve the stand problem as there are multiple suggestions in the thread to check out.

Thank you to everyone who contributed, those have turned the set into something considerably more pleasing!

Here is a tiny but, I believe, effective modification for the rear mudguard.

Also, the shock absorber has been moved to the right.

IMG_20220104_210331895~2.jpg

IMG_20220104_205955433~2.jpg

IMG_20220104_225653804~2.jpg

On 11/7/2021 at 7:34 PM, amorti said:

Yes! It works great, and frankly those 14t gears are nearly useless for anything else as they require such perfect alignment to work nicely as bevel gears.

👍 Those 14t gears seem to be a perfect fit for chains when paired with 24t or 16t gears. I solved a similar problem when modifying an engine with ‘belt’ driven supercharger, because the original gear (16t clutch) made the chain slip.

I have resisted buying this as it seems to me that it unfinished, these mods reinforce this belief, no brakes no mudguards etc etc.

It seems like it could have been a lot better straight out of the box. Disappointing.

Edited by williamyzfr1

Just new to the forum, and wanted to show my (heavily) modded version of the Ducati

Found the basic Lego model very cool start for improvement!
Looked at a lot off ideas of everything posted here and added my own ideas too.

- Rear shock rebuild to fit more like original Bike
- Rear end: tail light, seat, number plate, rear sets with brake and shift, mudguard reworked, etc, etc
- Modded tank and fairing details, replaced rubber bands with gears, and other engine details, etc
- Front Mudguard with brakes, modded clip-ons with brake handles and Brake lines/ steering damper, mirrors, etc, etc

can't even remember all the mods, haha

IMG_1866

enjoyed it so much that I also build my own 2005 Yamaha R1 in the same scale,

It's a completely different build, with its own frame setup, 4cilinder inline engine (with same gearbox as ducati) and only taking some small ideas from the original Ducati set.
(Carbon Parts are fake, but the rest is all real Lego)

IMG_1877

Edited by Marf

On 1/8/2022 at 5:50 PM, Marf said:

Just new to the forum, and wanted to show my (heavily) modded version of the Ducati

Found the basic Lego model very cool start for improvement!
Looked at a lot off ideas of everything posted here and added my own ideas too.

- Rear shock rebuild to fit more like original Bike
- Rear end: tail light, seat, number plate, rear sets with brake and shift, mudguard reworked, etc, etc
- Modded tank and fairing details, replaced rubber bands with gears, and other engine details, etc
- Front Mudguard with brakes, modded clip-ons with brake handles and Brake lines/ steering damper, mirrors, etc, etc

can't even remember all the mods, haha

Hi,

Nice mods! I'm particularly interested in how you connected the shock absorber. And the engine block. Would you post more pictures?

23 hours ago, phmzt said:

Hi,

Nice mods! I'm particularly interested in how you connected the shock absorber. And the engine block. Would you post more pictures?

IMG_1868

IMG_1869

IMG_1876

will make some close up’s tomorrow, quite a big mod, made a complete redesign of the swingarm.

14 hours ago, Marf said:

will make some close up’s tomorrow, quite a big mod, made a complete redesign of the swingarm.

3 hours ago, Marf said:

Some close-ups, (dusty😆)

Nice! Very nice! Good work

Also: I noticed you managed to put the disc & 20z half-gear on the right side and on the axle in the middle but further out, which is a brilliant idea and I've adopted it straight away as it does look much more like the real bike. The original model missed that. 👍

Still fiddling with it…

I've come up with an alternative solution to @LegoHoops's hilariously brilliant hot dogs as brake levers. I went for the cattle horns:

640x360.png

compared to the real thing:

640x359.jpg

640x853.png

V4R-BrakeLevers_2.jpg

I've been trying to fill the gaps in the fuel tank. So, I've started with some ideas I saw and ended up with something that sort of reproduces the T-shaped structure of the grey part of the fuel tank, with the two bulbous protuberances at the top. Plus, i wanted to give some more substance to the seat.

640x360.png

640x360.jpg

640x480.png

What do you guys think?

Edited by phmzt

@keymaker Thank you!

(I'm a long way behind most of you guys. Like, I'm in awe of your UAZ, so a compliment from you feels particularly good :classic:)

Hi, new to this forum. Here's my Panigale with a few mods. Does anyone have suggestions for a better windshield? Don't like the cloudy look of it.

X3wpeZ8.jpg

7oTscTP.jpg

TPSH5Cr.jpg

I have recently gotten my eyes on this set and I love looking at all the mods posted here. I got a silly question: how close does the Ducati scale to the buildable figures ("constraction"), such as the various Star Wars figures released in the past? Not counting Darth Vader v2, which is obviously too big...:wink:

Maybe the bike could be paired with suitable driver. This is something I find unfortunate with the 1:8 scale cars: they are too big for "technic figures" and too small for the later Star Wars and Bionicle-style figures. But the Ducati seems to be a bit bigger, and my experiments in LDD looks OK-ish, size-wise...

Edited by Slinger

This is my drag bike project, it's not finished yet, lots of improvement still to come. It got the 42155 rear tire and rim and a supercharged V6 and a droped suspention. I will take ideas from this forum to finish it

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

Edited by technicmotorbuilder

On 2/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, Antaray said:

Hi, new to this forum. Here's my Panigale with a few mods. Does anyone have suggestions for a better windshield? Don't like the cloudy look of it.

20220605_124810_cropped.jpg

my DIY solution: I used some plastic bottles as a source to me some myself.. bottom can be done plain, left and right a little but can be cut out to be fitting the panel fairings - if the width is done correctly, the windshield can be clamped in between the panels aligning to the shape of the bottom ones..