After thinking for some time decided not to enter the Nova car into the competition as it wasn't exactly fitting into the scale of the Car Transporter even though it fit fit within dimension box. Also wanted to make something unique in functionality. the former WIP car will be fitted with RC and finished afterwards.
Here's a working prototype of a driven front axle with split drivetrains to maximize engine bay space and ground clearance (whopping 2 studs!!!!). Please note that the chassis structure is temporary! Instead of flexible hose in the suspension I would prefer using springs, but that is "illegal" according to rules of no modification of parts.

0d302a1a-6445-4499-bf67-2a0e98dbbac4_12.

20200411_165229.jpg

20200411_165237.jpg

20200411_165243.jpg

20200411_175505.jpg

Cya.

Edited by syclone

That is very interesting. You might even be able to put a diff in the middle of that! 

The flex hoses, seems a very good ideia, I immediately  whent to try it! But they look very stiff, at least the ones I have ... 

Nice solution! Do I see correctly that you are using 'old' dark grey 6l links so you can clamp two of them on a single pin (using the 'closed' side of the connector hole)? Smart thinking!

Thanks for feedback everyone ^-^

@vascolp & @BusterHaus TLG has different versions of corrugated hose from what I see, the newer one is shorter than 2L, is made from softer material and the corrugated rings are thinner. Old one on top, new one on bottom:

20200412_125445.jpg

Comparison video:

@Rudivdk Indeed, eagle eyed find ;)

Progress from today:

20200412_191238.jpg

20200412_191223.jpg

20200412_191208.jpg

Chassis is again temporary solution, below renderings from LDD with most permanent stuff in fixed positions. I am thinking of placing the V6 transversely for some extra fun challenge. I used antennae round base to support the "crankshaft" on the front of the engine.

tc18_awd_katana_01.png

tc18_awd_katana_02.png

tc18_awd_katana_03.png

Ditched the ribbed hose because it was too tall and not as good as springs. Used rubber connectors instead and now the chassis is only one stud higher than wheel, engine will be moved to the back. I am not sure whether 1 diff between the two drivelines will be alright or the axles need a diff each, but now I'm happy with front, need to figure out something with rear that won't affect the glorious ground clearance. Also in mind is doing something similar to ZBLJ's supercar drivetrain, where each side is separate. this would allow to place two longitudional differentials driving a motor each.

20200415_190427.jpg

20200415_190432.jpg

20200415_190527.jpg

Are you sure rubber connectors are sufficient for suspension to articulate? It seems like they are already being pushed down by the suspension frame alone. And entire body will weight more, much more.

@zux Suspension has positive caster angle, hence why it looks to be compressed. It compresses a little with a full AA battery box , and since there's no electronics in this contest ¬_¬ , it'll be quite light - specially with the way I build my models (flexaxles&holes FTW).

tc18_awd_katana_04.png

I now have an idea on how to place a diff into the front as well instead of parallel drivetrains 0_o

Edited by syclone

Well, independent suspension was proving dificult to work with, went a simpler way. Just engine and 2-speed gearbox on a FWD hot hatch. Dimensions from an ED Civic, Front bumper will go where the 7L half-beam sits right now. Working proof of concept, needs colour organization and a gearbox lever linkage. Ratios are 1:1'5 and 1:1, sped up about 1:3 afterwards using the belt.

20200429_144747.jpg

20200429_144802.jpg

20200429_144818.jpg

Edited by syclone

Thanks, should be strong enough with the back frame, sop far stronger than the suspension version. The, 3 cyl wasn't cutting it and lego chains aren't very strong - now a proper "VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO"  4 banger is being placed together with a sturdier construction. Might try to replicate the aforementioned Civic, but a tuned up unbranded hatch seems more within my skills. The gear connections are LDD legal and work better than the chain, albeit the whole mechanism has a bit of resistance because of the rubber belt being a tad small for the distance it covers. Ideally the engine should be 1 stud backwards than the current position, but the diff won't allow it. (the frame fixed with turquoise connectors is temporary, the two 15L beams will be moved one stud back as well once I sort out the mechanics)

20200429_201752.jpg

20200429_201739.jpg

This looks super interesting!

I'm also working on a front wheel drive + gearbox entry but my approach is bulkier. Will be curious to see how you brace and route the lever for the gear box from the front to the cabin of the car. Maybe it is easier to turn the assembly around and place the steering rack up front (and reduces the for these cars typical ugly overhang in front of the wheels) ?

Thanks for the idea @Go-Kart , your Trabant is definitely a marvel in itself aswell, several failed attempts on lever mechanism later I ended up rotating the assembly 180 degrees by your suggestion :laugh:. Side-effect of this are more than positive actually, will be able to place an exhaust manifold mock-up as well as the engine is now slightly beside the front axle which is more "realistic". Now to organise the atrociously disgusting colour mess and move towards the rear of chassis (ノ≧∀≦)ノ 

20200430_191553.jpg

20200430_191622.jpg

Such amazing work! Lot of functionality and moving parts within small space, I’m surprised how you figured that out ??

Thanks)) 

Rotated the assembly again as the steering was a mess to route with the assembly invading passenger space, now there's a decent axle input for switching gears, only problem is that there's no neutral, could be fixed with a smooth connector instead of rigged one I guess, but then there would be nothing keeping the clutch engaged in gears, so this is a small sacrifice for the better. Of course, this is yet again just a proof of concept (#>_<)

20200501_130221.jpg

20200501_130215.jpg

20200501_130231.jpg

20200501_130305_1.gif

Nice and compact mechanism for the gear switching. But why there is no neutral in the centre? (I don't own that piece to try it out)

Edited by Go-Kart

On 5/1/2020 at 3:26 PM, Go-Kart said:

Nice and compact mechanism for the gear switching. But why there is no neutral in the centre? (I don't own that piece to try it out)

Mechanism design defect on my side (⌒_⌒;) Just how levers work and such, input requires some force to move, therefore it just snaps from one side to another on the output side.

Probably will end as another unfinished TC entry of mine looking at how it is going (≧▽≦) Really struggling to make a mechanism to open the headlights from the interior, right now they open just by hand

20200503_123111.jpg

20200503_123151.jpg

20200503_123124.jpg

Its no suprise the pop up headlights give you trouble. Pop up headlights are the coolest thing ever, but a massive pain to recreate in LEGO. I can remember the troulbes I had with the NSX - and that model is 1:8 scale! Just keep them like they are, and dont feel bad about it. There is a limit to what you can do in this scale.

Edited by Gray Gear