JeffBuilds

Modding the Barracuda thread

33 minutes ago, rainfall said:

@LegoGruft this was the link I think.. Link to the .io file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnjD_3iOHS04jE7q8E6jupKBZlgx?e=pdkP3v

@Brickander Brickumnus were there any changes to the IO file drawing?

What is this fig please?

bay_pirate-fig.JPG

This file is not mine. I have no connection to it.

Where did you see this figure? First time I see it.

1 hour ago, rainfall said:

What is this fig please?

LEGO Minifigures Series 8 - PIRATE CAPTAIN.
Too garish for my taste :sceptic:

On 4/4/2020 at 12:24 PM, Miro78 said:

I have made some additional color changes and brickbuilt sails. The interior is furnished as per instructions, minus some part substitutions that LDD inventory did not have. You can download the LDD and Stud.io file via my web page here: https://humblebricks.com/other/

Thanks for the inspiration, I'm gonna try similar sails on the Creator pirate ship

22 hours ago, rainfall said:

@LegoGruft this was the link I think.. Link to the .io file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnjD_3iOHS04jE7q8E6jupKBZlgx?e=pdkP3v

@Brickander Brickumnus were there any changes to the IO file drawing?

What is this fig please?

bay_pirate-fig.JPG

Sorry about that. It's not part of the set. As mentioned above, it's from the 8th Series of the Collectible Minifigures.

I'm collecting pirate captains recently, and I store them at the Bay... :pir-laugh:

Edited by ClassicLook

On 7/1/2020 at 8:41 AM, Roebuck said:

LEGO Minifigures Series 8 - PIRATE CAPTAIN.
Too garish for my taste :sceptic:

Aww, I liked the lil' guy when he first came out!

@victorycount Great work! I love all the secret rooms and trap doors that don't look like they made it to the final set (I'm still in the process of building it which will take awhile because I'm just going a few steps at a time with my son). I'd appreciate it if you could send me the digital file as well!

I've just finished the torn sails on my Barracuda Bay set. I've made 3 of them. They are based on @Alazon's vector files with some minor changes.

Their upper line is not completely straight, they have just a slight curve on top, like the official sails have. I've applied the biggest one onto the tallest mast with a custom crossbones logo.

The sails are printed on 140 g photopaper. I've edited a dirty canvas-like background instead of white to make it more worn-looked.

It was a nightmare to cut them out with scissors, but I'm satisfied with the fnal result.

50093253408_ffaa5fc5b2_c.jpgAE89D874-6DF2-48D1-8720-7946A49E7788 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

50093835691_8bb5524ee0_c.jpgE51B7E2A-BB9C-48D4-8943-7FD584934CDB by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Edited by ClassicLook

On 7/9/2020 at 2:41 PM, ClassicLook said:

I've just finished the torn sails on my Barracuda Bay set. I've made 3 of them. They are based on @Alazon's vector files with some minor changes.

Their upper line is not completely straight, they have just a slight curve on top, like the official sails have. I've applied the biggest one onto the tallest mast with a custom crossbones logo.

The sails are printed on 140 g photopaper. I've edited a dirty canvas-like background instead of white to make it more worn-looked.

It was a nightmare to cut them out with scissors, but I'm satisfied with the fnal result.

50093253408_ffaa5fc5b2_c.jpgAE89D874-6DF2-48D1-8720-7946A49E7788 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

50093835691_8bb5524ee0_c.jpgE51B7E2A-BB9C-48D4-8943-7FD584934CDB by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Loving this mod, great work!

Well I finally put mine into the barracuda and boy does it look good. I did make some small changes

- Added a fourth cannon and moved these into the left wall so they show when it’s on display.

- moved beds And bedside table up front and removed the toilet (for now)

- moved the bar table to opposite cannons in centre hull

- made a small workbench

- removed the door and wall that were entry into main fuse in wrecked form

- made a stationary crane and winch

- dropped a spare original row boat with original flag into the centre of the top deck

- added some old originals like the red parrot and monkey I still have from the late 80’s early 90’s

- as my son loves ninjago, it felt fitting that red beard has a gold sword in his cabin. 

50113707648_05dc20c0fc_c.jpgLEGO Idea Barracuda (21322) Ship mods by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50113707748_277f9ce7ce_c.jpgLEGO Idea Barracuda (21322) Ship mods by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50114508187_8a2966c41c_c.jpgLEGO Idea Barracuda (21322) Ship mods by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50114508307_0a6da8f10a_c.jpgLEGO Idea Barracuda (21322) Ship mods by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50114275786_5f73b1468f_c.jpgLEGO Idea Barracuda (21322) Ship mods by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50114508322_86237d4513_c.jpgLEGO Idea Barracuda (21322) Ship mods by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50114275726_eb51c70049_c.jpgLEGO Idea Barracuda (21322) Ship mods by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50113707573_0a16ec4077_c.jpgLEGO Idea Barracuda (21322) Ship mods by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

Edited by Jez_AU
Embedding images

Yesterday I modified my Barracuda bay. I did not changed a ship, just added small crane to front mast, and small anchor to row boat. I decided to make two separate islands instead of one. The first one is kind of treasure island, to hide treasures and for smuggling goods. For the second one I took an inspiration from AC4 Black flag. I wanted a higher pier, like in game, with features from original model like small pier, rounded pier, and of course a Jose´s inn. I think that the finished island looks pretty good for docking a larger ship like Barracuda. These islands were built from original set, without any additional pieces. I must say again, this lego set is simply perfect!

50133100152_fe00f15bcb_z.jpg 50132871931_e0f44c1df2_z.jpg 50132871981_4aed921b22_z.jpg 50132872151_0bf670fd36_z.jpg 50132871906_782eb68700_z.jpg 50132314998_15fb10c46c_z.jpg 50132872216_ec6da6d8e0_z.jpg 50132314968_540cc806fa_z.jpg 50132871956_b146858683_z.jpg 50133100167_421ac95f64_z.jpg 50132872141_083828ed6a_z.jpg 50132315088_1ee506f861_z.jpg  50133100292_1c35642831_z.jpg 

Edited by Peter1999

That looks really good. I’m still staring at my island wondering what to do with it...

On 5/13/2020 at 1:55 AM, cehnot said:

Before I answer these questions I will say that I do plan on offering a smaller design closer to the official model. I have various stages of the rear and front design I could quickly modify to match the official set center section. The bow and stern boat hulls are about 1 stud taller than the set. The issue would be converting it to a merchant ship like the official set. The narrower bode shapes I designed work well with my galleon center where the cones are replaced with slopes. The cabin section is the same length as the set, I just extended the roof to have a covered doorway. Returning to the same length would remove the Missen mast, move the wheel back to its original place and modify the roof to have an access panel for the cord to thread down into the cabin floor. I would probably place the entire wheel over the Missen area and use the hollow pole holes as the access point for the cord to run to the rudder room. Super easy, most effective idea and can be easily covered up as a book shelf or justified as a support beam. 

1. I do plan on offering the MOD file like all my designs. I can no longer do them on the Stud.io gallery. If I did instructions I would charge money for the files, but like all my past designs I will offer the file for free to download and build at your discretion once I finish the masts. I will likely offer 2 ships in the file: One with official LEGO set mast designs and a ship with the proper rigging to fit those masts; and the other file will be my final design prepped for rigging. 
2. I added 2 photos below. The half stud edges seem to be my biggest issue at the tile rail level. The shape of the half stud, to full stud doesn't bother me with those vertical black rails between each 4 stud wide walls. They seem to break up the stair step approach on the side of the ship. You only really notice the issue at the top where the tiles line up. The widest shape inside the boat is 12 studs across on the deck. That matches up to the 12 studs wide deck on the official set. What I like about my ship cabin and poop deck is how slender it feels. The cargo access area was shortened by 1 stud since the deck width changes. I am not sure how I would cover the main mast pole spot, maybe use brackets and plates so it gets closer to 2x2 instead of the current 2x3. The other minor fix i would need to solve is the stairs leading up to the wheel deck. One of the wedge places has a half stud gap on the wall side. I think the easiest solution would fill the gap with a bracket or use a modified brick and have a tile wedged there somehow. Its not a major concern. 

Barracuda_4long_12_wider_ret.jpg

Barracuda_4long_12_wider_2_ret.jpg

When I release my file I suggest stripping off parts or sections to help your mods. I think designing a new floor with cargo bay areas will help. Ian currently designing a smaller 3 center hull section option for the ship i did so you may easily swap out the entire section and go from there. I am trying to develop it within the same basic placement as the official set. I may also just do a simple deck floor and cargo bay file to swap with your official set to make that easier too. So basically, maybe what I will do is offer a file with the roof conversion for the wheel and a deck option with a removable cargo bay area so you can do simple mods that are easy to use. I may toss in a simple conversion for the front anchor idea. Im not trying to replace the set. I am designing a set for myself, and making conversion kits for people who want to just modify the set. 

This is a major step up from the original set, I love the design.
My question is, if u have a full list for all additional parts needed, will u release it alongside the files for the model?

Edited by Jake77

On 5/22/2020 at 9:37 AM, cehnot said:

Final Masts ready for rigging. I am looking forward to purchasing the set when it they restock it. The masts are no higher than the original set. I only placed the main yard and fore yard lower to allow string to hold up the bottom sails.

Barracuda_4long_13.jpg

A photo with the whole ship, will give a better idea of how the masts look overall... and whatever feedback will be more credible.

On 5/22/2020 at 9:37 AM, cehnot said:

I think i may do my own custom sails and try to dye or color them with red stripes. What do you guys think?

Do you plan the red stripes to be on both sides?

If not, then maybe stick with the original sails.

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

Here is what I ended up doing with my left over island. Managed to get a Hidden side Lighthouse at a really cheap price so thought why not try and combine it. Progress so far. Still needs some pirates, a cannon and some other details but overall I'm really happy with it. I also tried to keep it the size of the left hand base plate. I may change this down the track and build the lighthouse base directly onto the sand dunes which would mean a slightly bigger base but for now I'm really happy with the end result considering this is the first time I've tried anything like this as I've only just got back into Lego this year 30 years after last playing with it :)

50163883723_95a8a43e91_c.jpgLighthouse and Barracuda Bay MOC by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50164674957_2dc95622a8_c.jpgLighthouse and Barracuda Bay MOC by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50164675002_46befb50a0_c.jpgLighthouse and Barracuda Bay MOC by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

50164423806_3dcbc63c18_c.jpgLighthouse and Barracuda Bay MOC by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

14 hours ago, Jez_AU said:

Here is what I ended up doing with my left over island. Managed to get a Hidden side Lighthouse at a really cheap price so thought why not try and combine it. Progress so far. Still needs some pirates, a cannon and some other details but overall I'm really happy with it. I also tried to keep it the size of the left hand base plate. I may change this down the track and build the lighthouse base directly onto the sand dunes which would mean a slightly bigger base but for now I'm really happy with the end result considering this is the first time I've tried anything like this as I've only just got back into Lego this year 30 years after last playing with it :)

50163883723_95a8a43e91_c.jpgLighthouse and Barracuda Bay MOC by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

Lighthouse and Barracuda Bay MOC by LEGO-Dad, on Flickr

I think this looks fantastic! I can easily imagine the pirates, once they were stranded here, taking on 'wrecking' to do their business...

On 7/29/2020 at 11:56 PM, jan kusters said:

I think this looks fantastic! I can easily imagine the pirates, once they were stranded here, taking on 'wrecking' to do their business...

Thanks! I’m pretty happy with it. Have some more bits coming to sit it properly on the sand base plates. Just ordered another Barracuda Bay so will be good to see how it looks next to it

On 4/4/2020 at 7:40 AM, Murdoch17 said:

(I don't feel there is a need for a topic for this one, at least until it is built in real life.)

49732480558_fb2b6fdbc4_z.jpg

Just got done remaking the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set in 100% build-able bluecoat colors in LDD. Missing only a few parts not in the program, and some that were left off to the side. (not visible in this cleaned-up view) Sadly, for the life of me I could not get the old firing cannons to fit where the galley and sleeping quarters were, so I made my own custom ones that did. The ship boasts eight cannons, and is now called the "Liberty", because as far as I know, the bluecoats are inspired by the real world French.

This ship won't be done for a while, as the ship's sails are an unknown factor since the guy I would have gotten them from got kicked off Bricklink by LEGO along with the rest of the customizers. Trying to figure out where and how to get blue and white striped sails of the same size as set 21332!

Any thoughts?

That looks fantastic... Any chance you'd share the file? Thanks in advance.

So I decided make some small Modifications to the Barracuda, the biggest one making a proper Forecastle and a new Capstan.

Forecastle%202.jpg

Forecastle%201.jpg

The next modifications are two retractable Triple Chase cannons at the front (similar to the Flying Dutchman). The mechanism is built into the Forecastle and can be operated by turning the black technic axle connector next to the Rigging. There's a short video demonstrating it in action here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Jake-/
Bow%20Front%201.jpg

Bow%20Front%202.jpg

Bow%20Front%20cannons%20out.jpg

The last changes are 2 rear Chasers, I mirrored the removable part that was built into the Original set and modified the Interior to fit 2 medium sized brickbuild cannons.
Rear%20Chase%20cannons.jpg

On 7/28/2020 at 3:20 AM, Jake77 said:

This is a major step up from the original set, I love the design.
My question is, if u have a full list for all additional parts needed, will u release it alongside the files for the model?

I will once I figure out the final ship. I have wanted to do a full set of rigging, but I may do it in 2 stages. The file was completed, but I am not sure how to separate out the parts from the original set. If anybody can tell me how to do this I will gladly offer this list. 

On 7/28/2020 at 5:27 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

A photo with the whole ship, will give a better idea of how the masts look overall... and whatever feedback will be more credible.

Do you plan the red stripes to be on both sides?

If not, then maybe stick with the original sails.

I was planning on doing the sails as if they were different fabric so wasn't sure how to get the sails a different color. I think I will use waterproof ink. 

Would you rather see rigging or lego style masts? I'll try to show the while ship. 

I just purchased 2 Pirates of Barracuda Bay sets from the official website. The second is for my stepson. I'm putting together a bricklink order for other pieces. 

Just a quick update on my POBB set.

Old meets new:

50230897348_3cba2bcbd0_c.jpgD06B5D73-B25A-44E4-A3AB-F08EE4E4DEE0 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Raft Raiders joined to the crew. The white sail is made of paper and it has the same custom logo as the big torn sail.

I've expanded the water section, so it has now three different layers (DBG->LGG->tan) and some foamy effect too.

50231759447_92dbefb4a9_c.jpgFF084166-FD81-4336-958E-81042A66A6CC by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

There is a little bending on the edges due to the repetitive plate connections, but I'm OK with it.

Edited by ClassicLook

On 8/12/2020 at 6:57 AM, cehnot said:

I was planning on doing the sails as if they were different fabric so wasn't sure how to get the sails a different color. I think I will use waterproof ink. 

Would you rather see rigging or lego style masts? I'll try to show the while ship. 

Personally I prefer LEGO style masts-sails-rigging.

Others prefer full realistic rigging.

4 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Personally I prefer LEGO style masts-sails-rigging.

Others prefer full realistic rigging.

Once the ship is complete may ve I'll have both options for people. The masts are easy to convert.

On 8/16/2020 at 3:43 PM, cehnot said:

Once the ship is complete may ve I'll have both options for people. The masts are easy to convert.

Sounds great, looking forward to upgrading my Barracuda. Thanks for your great Work.