MandyNeko

Super Mario 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, leafan said:

In before @just2good pops in for his annual visit :classic:

He must have some psychic abilities, since he said in one of his latest videos that someone else should cover for him in case big news drop while he‘s in Japan :iamded_lol: 

Just now, MAB said:

Hidden under a pile of leaves?

Nice

Just now, Blondie-Wan said:

Well, from the teaser, it certainly looks like the figure has some sort of integrated electronic video display, to let it change expressions and whatnot. That seems crazy, but I guess if there’s any theme where they’d roll out such a feature, a theme based on video games would be it. Will LEGO Mario figures work as Amiibo?!

Oh, God, you're right. Now that I look at it, only the torso, mouth and eyes have that pixelated screen look. I don't know what to think anymore.

This is so weirddddddddddd.

Jesus :oh: 

Im lost for words here. Its actually happening

Also, there is a chance for CMFs???

What a day to be alive...

I hope for a castle set with some ghost figures

6 minutes ago, leafan said:

In before @just2good pops in for his annual visit :classic:

He just posted a video about this and he was hyperventilating... I think he passed out after recording 

I must say, I haven't been this interested in a new licensed theme in a long long time.

Very well played moved by LEGO!

Edited by jhuyser

Okay, this is a surprise. Anyone remember the whole N&B Block thing where Nintendo and LEGO ended up in litigation over producing a clone brand? While LEGO's willing to let licensing bygones be bygones, I would've thought Nintendo'd still be avoiding them. Good to know that's not the case, at least.

Weird figure, but potentially a successor to the board games line (with digital components)..? At the very least seeing what the sets turn out like will be entertaining.

Edited by toastergrl

If the video is true to scale that is much larger than a minifigure.  If you slow it down it certainly looks like it is sitting on a 2x2 printed brick with a 2x2 round plate below and a 2x2 square tile top w/ masonry bricks on either side that don't quite make sense in terms of stud spacing.  Very bizarre indeed.

6 minutes ago, Willworkfortoys said:

If the video is true to scale that is much larger than a minifigure.  If you slow it down it certainly looks like it is sitting on a 2x2 printed brick with a 2x2 round plate below and a 2x2 square tile top w/ masonry bricks on either side that don't quite make sense in terms of stud spacing.  Very bizarre indeed.

One option is that this is like one of those bigger alarm clock figures?  And the regular set figs will be more normal looking and lack the digital features.  Or maybe this is like some weird Tomogotchi-esque thing.   Actually that's gonna be my bet, the blind bags are interactive bigfigs/amiibo that integrate with the games somehow.  Normal sets will feature normal figures.  That's a lot of molds, but I could see them doing it with cheaper manufacturers in China.  Maybe even using Nintendo's amiibo manufacturer.

Also, I have to go to on record here saying that I called this.  I have been saying for MONTHS now that this was only a matter of time.  I have a feeling Nintendo has been trying to make this happen for a while now, but LEGO has always been scared of video game licenses.  But after Minecraft proved succesful, and Overwatch proved without a doubt that it wasn't just a fluke, Nintendo was the obvious next step.

I wonder how this plays into the Zelda Ideas set currently under review.  Did that help start negotiations?  Or was it just another piece in the puzzle?

Edited by TheNerdyOne_

Just now, Mattah12 said:

Didn't this one keep getting held off on in terms of a decision? Where did it end up, under review still?

I don't believe that one us.  But there is a Breath of the Wild stable submission which qualified for the January review period and is currently under review.

Regardless, all of the Ideas projects likely had something to do with this.  Whether something gets approved or not, Ideas is essentially a giant test bed for LEGO.  Zelda projects getting 10,000 so often surely played a part in convincing LEGO that video games/Nintendo were worth pursuing.

Edited by TheNerdyOne_

I AM VINDICATED
Every time I brought this up someone brought up Nintendo's old LEGO copy, or their partners with Megablocks for Pokemon or Knex for Mario itself. Who's laughing now?

I can't wait for more news on this. This is probably why Mario and Donkey Kong weren't allowed for Ideas submissions back when the license checker was new. 

Since this is finally out I can tell you that more information will follow next month. 

That's all I know about for a few months now, but if the figures look like the teaser this will be disappointing for me. 

I can't believe this is actually going to be a thing. As a lifelong Mario fan, I'm hyped.

I'm a little surprised that this is the "Leaf" theme and not Monkey Kid, but I'm not complaining. And if LEGO is going to make Mario sets, this has to mean K'nex no longer has the license. I didn't know about the LEGO and Nintendo debacle in the 80s, though.

And I just realized something interesting. Today, when the teaser was made, is March 10, aka Mario Day (Mar10)!

My wallet is ready. August, here we come.

Edited by Stardown

This could be huge. Gimme some more Nintendo figures, Lego! Gimme dem Squid Sisters! :grin_wub:

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

He must have some psychic abilities, since he said in one of his latest videos that someone else should cover for him in case big news drop while he‘s in Japan :iamded_lol: 

I think he already knew honestly. He is on the ambassador network and im sure he knows people at Lego.

Cautiously optimistic here. I've wanted this theme for years and I'm ecstatic that it's finally happening, but that teaser scares me. Hopefully we get standard-ish minifigs.

So far I'm not getting much out of it. The smartphone or whatever it is in the Mario sleeve already kinda turns me off in the sense of "Do they really have to... (make an app for everything)?". It remains to be seen how this turns out. Let's just hope we'll get to see something real soon...

Mylenium

Just now, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

Instagram says we're getting a minifigure series (take that with a grain of salt tho)

Taking it with a grain of salt is probably best for now.

Just now, Anonknee Muss said:

Taking it with a grain of salt is probably best for now.

I want to believe because with all the characters in the Mario universe, not making a figure series seems like a giant missed opportunity

Just now, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

Instagram says we're getting a minifigure series (take that with a grain of salt tho)

I'd really love a minifigure series, but I was under the impression we already knew the only other CMFs coming this year were series 21 and Wizarding World S2?