Ngoc Nguyen

42114 - 6x6 Volvo Articulated Hauler

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, suffocation said:

Or not.

 

That’s precisely the model I had in mind. It’s slow and sways around a rather large amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say it works fine. The swaying is due to how the arm is designed, not to any inherent Lego limit; the slowness - which, by the way, is realistic - is due to excessive downgearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, suffocation said:

I'd say it works fine. The swaying is due to how the arm is designed, not to any inherent Lego limit; the slowness - which, by the way, is realistic - is due to excessive downgearing.

Who am I kidding, I'd love for them to make a flagship like this :wub:. Can't imagine the monumental cost though.

EDIT: Looking at the designer's page (https://www.martin-hartwigsen.nl/models/machinery/) it only uses about 3500 parts, but eleven motors. I dunno :S

Edited by Bartybum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Panel # 5 and 6 in yellow 

a hard to find and expensive panel is going out again! I hope 42114 going to have many of those 

i have a chance to re-build 8043😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Something in the €600 range, then :pir-sceptic:

It does look like they're going in that direction, at least in terms of price :wall:

honestly because of that I think it is smarter (for me) to invest in floor restoration on my (over 50 years) old Mercedes - it will cost me some 550€, so I'm wondering where it goes with prices, or should I stick to smaller models, despite I'm awaiting to see how final Volvo articulated howler will be, specially I'm interesting in propulsion system.

I send my greetings to Umbria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bartybum said:
22 hours ago, suffocation said:

Or not.

That’s precisely the model I had in mind. It’s slow and sways around a rather large amount.

I am sided with @Bartybum on this on. This model really is beyond the limits of what Lego (or better say plastic bricks&pieces) can do. When it comes to technic, TLC really decides for more rigid and playable models instead of putting as many functions in but lacking stability.

And if we really see it from their standpoint of selling sturdy models to children to play with but also look nice, they find a good balance in most big models in recent years (42043, 42054, 42055, 42078, 42082, 42100).

Back to 42114: I hope this thing is not that slow, it should be at least as fast as the 42070, the steering angle is tight and the tipping doesn't take ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 12:20 PM, KLF said:

Is C+ really problem for B-models

Only if you try to use the offical Lego C+ app.
The PU Up has quite a lot free options.
But nowadays there is Brickcontroller that lets you control a techhub the way you want.
(and any other hub)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jundis said:

I am sided with @Bartybum on this on. This model really is beyond the limits of what Lego (or better say plastic bricks&pieces) can do. When it comes to technic, TLC really decides for more rigid and playable models instead of putting as many functions in but lacking stability.

 

Aside from the arm - and not even to much of an extent - I fail to see where the instability is. Anyway, here's another model that proves you can have a model with 8 Claas tyres that works fine:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, suffocation said:

I fail to see where the instability is

I mean, we’re pretty much exclusively talking about the arm, since it is after all the main feature.

A trial truck could indeed work, although it’d have to have live axles or else it’d just be functionally boring

Edited by Bartybum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing that irritates me about this is that TLG has the Liebherr license. If they had to do a hauler, why not give us this puppy:

16466-10469642.jpg

Plus there's a newer version coming out next year, so the timing would have been great. But no, we get a virtual rehash of something that's already been done:thumbdown:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Another thing that irritates me about this is that TLG has the Liebherr license. If they had to do a hauler, why not give us this puppy

Both have many similar heavy building equipment like dumper trucks, excavators, wheeled loaders...

Liebherr just have been around last year, so 2020 is a volvo year again it seems :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jundis said:

Both have many similar heavy building equipment like dumper trucks, excavators, wheeled loaders...

Liebherr just have been around last year, so 2020 is a volvo year again it seems :D

Their catalogues are indeed similar. My point is that a Volvo hauler's been done - why not a Liebherr one? Maybe it's like you say, and we'll get something else from Liebherr later on. Again, though, if it had to be Volvo, why not something new? In fact, this is the third Volvo hauler, if you count the PEGAX from 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's a contract TLC have to fullfill as we've seem Volvo's every two years since 2014? But I agree, with the 8264 (which wasn't licensed?), it really gets a bit repetitive.

And as I just again had a look at the 42114 promo-pic on page 1, I really struggle to buy this, as even the B-Model of the 42030 looked better somehow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jundis said:

Maybe it's a contract TLC have to fullfill as we've seem Volvo's every two years since 2014? But I agree, with the 8264 (which wasn't licensed?), it really gets a bit repetitive.

Don't forget 8854-B, 8446-B and 8451.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good model of an articulated dumper has been on my to-build list since the 42030B, so this set could fill that opening. But I will only consider it if the build and mechanisms are interesting enough. Being a Control+ set doesn’t bode well on that front, but I’ll hold my judgement until more information is available.

I’m afraid the weird proportions of the preliminary model are final and are a direct result of making it RC. I guess the Control+ hub and two motors (drive and steering) needed to sit under the cabin to keep the drive train as short as possible, lifting the cabin up as a result. I suspect something similar is happening in the rear: the motor to lift the dumper bed is probably sandwiched between the rear chassis and the bed, again, raising the bed as a result.

I really hope that the interesting rear suspension of the real machine is modeled with all its degrees of freedom. At the moment it’s difficult to judge whether or not there is enough room for it next to the Control + components. My ideal set would be something very close to the beautiful (pneumatic) A25D Volvo dumper @JaapTechnic started a long time ago.  More information of that creation is on his website and Flicker page.

Volvo A25D WIP

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I’m afraid the weird proportions of the preliminary model are final and are a direct result of making it RC. I guess the Control+ hub and two motors (drive and steering) needed to sit under the cabin to keep the drive train as short as possible,

Indeed. The hub is right at the back of the cabin. It has to be there so that the motor in the rear half can connect to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just found a German builder who started to build a similar Modell: 

 

Just to get an impression of the size of the coming set. By the way he managed to build a quiet accurat suspension. I'm really curious how Legos version is build.

Btw: He speaks a German dialect. So the automatically translated subtitles are not that good.

Edited by Andman
Minor typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Damn that's gonna be a pretty long set...

I think size is 42114's sole attribute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andman said:

I'm really curious how Legos version is build

My guess is a modified Arocs' rear suspension setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

I think size is 42114's sole attribute.

Yeah hold up my dude, at the moment it's looking pretty on par with 42030

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

Yeah hold up my dude, at the moment it's looking pretty on par with 42030

The hell it is. Doesn't even have a B-model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

The hell it is. Doesn't even have a B-model.

Oh aside from that lol.

Functions seem to be pretty standard for what the vehicle is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.