BrickWild

42110 - Land Rover Defender - MODs and Improvements

I now prefer the PU motors. My first defender I built with the parts from the 42099 crawler and used the reduction hubs, but the second I built I used the new type differentials from the Top Gear car and standard hubs, it is using an L motor for each axle like the crawler still. it drives much quicker but not so good for climbing, though it would be easy enough to change the gearing if I wanted it to crawl more.

15 hours ago, noahtheb said:

I went to my local Lego store today to buy 2 XL PF motors, but they only had PU motors. The employee recommended getting them off Bricklink, which is what I plan to do soon...

Seems legit, since LEGO discontinued PF. I guess PU works too, but if you plan on using PF, go for it.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:23 PM, Bricktrain said:

I now prefer the PU motors. My first defender I built with the parts from the 42099 crawler and used the reduction hubs, but the second I built I used the new type differentials from the Top Gear car and standard hubs, it is using an L motor for each axle like the crawler still. it drives much quicker but not so good for climbing, though it would be easy enough to change the gearing if I wanted it to crawl more.

Yes, from my point of view, PU motors are faster than PF motors with les torque. However, I want to take my Defender on the trail to offroad over rocks and roots.

19 hours ago, chlego said:

Seems legit, since LEGO discontinued PF. I guess PU works too, but if you plan on using PF, go for it.

Yep, PF are my top choice.

I have been reading this thread with interest since I commenced my 42110 build primarily because I suffered with clicking issues on my previous build (Sian). 

The YouTube video prevented me from implementing the infamous Lego Step 89 in the manual error and I have now almost finished.

I am currently awaiting parts to arrive for the front light mod and more recently ordered the Boo Bar parts (Many thanks JunkstyleGio).

I have also ordered the chunkier tyres from Ebay 

I reluctantly ordered a second set so I could replace the spare wheel tyre as well.

EDIT - I can't believe it, those tyres (& wheels) were £13.56 per set when I ordered the other day.

Edited by williamyzfr1

Is there someone who as the Defender io file from Tonyst4rk80 which he posted on 17-02-2020?
It cannot be downloaded anymore, and I am not able to send him a Personal Message as I have not posted 10 reactions.

Edited by BKu

On 3/7/2021 at 1:10 AM, lsquared said:

Integrated a center differential lock. Unsure if the geometry would actually work though, in stud.io the driving ring does not intersect with the 16 tooth gear that is 3 studs away - however they look very close together. (Intersection detection in Stud doesn't seem the best). Also 4 wheel drive

@Mike08 is it possible for you to share your stud file for the extended body? (would love to integrate more features - but I'm horrible with stud) 

landrover-internal-6.png

https://ibb.co/MG9Kxr6

@lsquared

I did a test extension of the chassis irl, haven't been working on it since my last post. Been busy building my motorcycle and other projects.

However my stud file with the 110 of which I shared some screenshots, I only focused on designing a rough exterior and little work was done to the chassis. The file is far from complete but if you like I can share it when I'm home again next week. Let me know.

What I can say about the chassis I made irl is it's not complete. After some thought I plan to simplify the gearbox and completely rework the chassis for a more realistic interior.

When I get back to the 110 project I'll be sure to post more updates en can then share any stud files I've made.

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share with you the bull bar I designed, inspired by the great work of some of you on this thread (bravo and thanks to you guys).

Free instructions are available on Rebrickable : MOC-81368

In a nutshell  what I propose here :

- design close to bull bars installed on the new defender (version 2019).
- 2 versions : standard and with lights.
- bar to hang the winch hook.
- continuous bar hooked under the chassis by support on the 2 "white technic liftarm thick 1x3".

New%20Defender's%20Bull%20Bar.jpg

bullbar%20new%20defender.png

Edited by Logui
restored links

That looks pretty good! Unfortunately, I don't have many technic pieces, so I cannot build that.

Thank you to all those who shared their ideas for modding the Defender.

Here are some pictures of what I consider my finished model:

IMG_0169.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_0171.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_0170.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_0168.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Edited by williamyzfr1
Pictures too big

On 7/11/2021 at 1:39 PM, barbanera said:

working on v8

Is that a mod or a MOC?

IMHO its a MOC.

Edited by Milan
Do not quote videos or images from the same page.

9 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

Is that a mod or a MOC?

IMHO its a MOC.

A mix, I was inspired by a few things on the web as well as on this site .

Not a real moc.

I started with the superb version of @jb70 for the rear and the front (gearbox and trasmission), the only difference is that I moved the ackermann steering behind the front instead of the front to make it more compact. Then I dedicated myself to reinforcing the structure in the section added to lengthen the frame. The suspension has been modified to fit 106mm tires and reinforced due to the heavier weight. I also wanted to keep the removable body of the @jb70  version, even here the bodywork has been reinforced to compensate for the increased instability and weight due to the elongation.

The bodywork has been stretched behind the rear axle, not quite faithful to the 2020 defender, but I like it more like that

I'm short on time, so I work on it occasionally .

Edited by barbanera

hi everyone,
this thread seems to be one of the most complete concerning the modifications of the 42110 (thank you to those who make it live since 2019, but I'm surprised not to see in this topic any pictures of modifications of the initial L6 engine into V6 or V8, while keeping the initial scale of the engine. Hence my question: is it taboo to not use the classic 2850b cylinders to upgrade the Defender to V8?
Those who prefer the classic pistons should close their eyes, here are the pictures of my build.

I'd be happy to read your comments

based on @jb70 MOC-31299 (pimp v1.2 with Ackermann and new gear ratio - so almost v1.3-)

with add-ons/mods below :
MOC-71508 V8 by @Legotyres
MOC-63618 hunting lights by @Ginger-ninja
MOC-81368 bull bar by me
doors locking mechanism by @DrJimbo improved by @Some Belgian LEGO Fan
exhaust pipes, rear bumper and hitch by @harrygee

P1070274..JPG

P1070277.JPG

P1070278.JPGP1070281.JPG

P1070271.JPG

P1070272.JPG

9 hours ago, Logui said:

hi everyone,
this thread seems to be one of the most complete concerning the modifications of the 42110 (thank you to those who make it live since 2019, but I'm surprised not to see in this topic any pictures of modifications of the initial L6 engine into V6 or V8, while keeping the initial scale of the engine. Hence my question: is it taboo to not use the classic 2850b cylinders to upgrade the Defender to V8?
Those who prefer the classic pistons should close their eyes, here are the pictures of my build.

I'd be happy to read your comments

based on @jb70 MOC-31299 (pimp v1.2 with Ackermann and new gear ratio - so almost v1.3-)

with add-ons/mods below :
MOC-71508 V8 by @Legotyres
MOC-63618 hunting lights by @Ginger-ninja
MOC-81368 bull bar by me
doors locking mechanism by @DrJimbo improved by @Some Belgian LEGO Fan
exhaust pipes, rear bumper and hitch by @harrygee

No, not taboo at all! I was about to post my Defender V8 mod as well, and I decided to use the same scale as the I6 as I just prefer it. There are dozens of sets out there that use the traditional cylinder pieces but nothing in my collection uses this kind of technique except for the Defender. I love your bull bars, and the exhaust is a neat idea too! Definitely something the stock set should have included.

Initially the plan was to go straight to Pimp My Defender v1.3, but I experienced rubbing on the inner part of the rim when turning, so I now have v1.3 with v1.2 steering.

mZjO7vc.jpg

12 hours ago, therealjustin said:

No, not taboo at all! I was about to post my Defender V8 mod as well, and I decided to use the same scale as the I6 as I just prefer it. There are dozens of sets out there that use the traditional cylinder pieces but nothing in my collection uses this kind of technique except for the Defender. I love your bull bars, and the exhaust is a neat idea too! Definitely something the stock set should have included.

Initially the plan was to go straight to Pimp My Defender v1.3, but I experienced rubbing on the inner part of the rim when turning, so I now have v1.3 with v1.2 steering.

Nice V8 quite in the spirit of the original model ! Good job ! About the exhausts, they are a creation of @harrygee here and I also find that they could have been great on the stock set ! As for the friction of the rim with the Ackermann pimp 1.3, I think also that this problem doesn't appear if the Defender is put on the ground. Indeed a slight friction can appear if the wheels are not put on the ground. The wheel is set up naturally without applying too pressure from my perspective. And thanks for the comment on the bull bar (the fact that the stock set did not include any bull bar allows the community to customize this element as everyone wants) ! Do you plan to post other pictures of your mod ?

1 hour ago, barbanera said:

Off topic...

old memories left in the attic

sweeeeet !!! and already an 8 cylinder engine in 1999... I did not know this model. I had stopped with the technic cars to the model 8860 of 1980 (but knowing that several models were out, such as 8880, but without looking closely), and had discovered the evolution of Lego Technic gearboxes only with the release of the bugatti 42083 of 2018.... so thank you for this update ! Good luck for your work on V8 btw (this work led you to this old memories isn't it ?)

Edited by Milan
Do not quote videos or images from the same page.

Sorry if it's wrong place to post but I am having trouble with my defender I finished building. The rear wheels don't roll forward together , they are rolling in the opposite directions. I've tried double checking things from the manual but haven't found a solution yet 

I'm not an expert at technic, but maybe check the rear differential? It could be facing the wrong way or the gears may be messed up.

1 hour ago, Polarlicht said:

But now ordered new ones and tried this. Quite like this better.

They look pretty good :wub: (Definitely better than the white ones on this model)
The white ones could be cool on some supercars though.