Troglodyte

LEGO IDEAS - Dinosaurs Fossils Skeletons

Hi everybody !

So Im new on this Forum and I would like to know if anybody got informations about the new Lego Ideas set of Dinosaurs Fossils ?

I saw there was no topic on the subject yet so I hope that don't bother anybody if I make this one.

Ho Troglodyte,
Welcome here, I see you're really into acheology and the Trias since you even choose a name according to it.

I'm interested in this too but it seems there's not much progress in this idea.

Thanks for your welcome message !

You got me ! I'm a big fan of archeology / anthropology and, obviously, dinosaurs :p

Too bad theres nothing about the set for now, can't wait to buy it !

I am also really excited about the dinosaur fossils set, I loved the ability to use dinosaur skeletons as playable characters in the Lego Jurassic Park computer game and was really disappointed I couldn't build them in real life.  No news on the set, but I would imagine it must be out soon - maybe a December release? (pure speculation on my part...)

I almost forgot about this project already. I originally planned it as a display piece in front of a science institute, but this T-rex seems to be quite large for my purposes.:hmpf_bad: Very nicely done though!

I am so excited for this set to hit the shelves!

I’m worried though, in the past Lego has scaled back sets like this with multiple builds. There are 8 skeletons in the approved proposal: Spinosaurus, Stegosaurus, Triceratops, Dilophosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Dimorphodon, Plesiosaurus and Tyrannosaurus. Clearly T. rex has made the cut, and I hope the others all have as well. 

Very nice set, and even outside of it's original model, it seems to have a lot of clip/bar/balljoint parts to make other skeletons or builds out of it.

I think they made the right choice with the size/price , and the figures are a nice bonus.

A recent LEGO City magazine had dino bones in it's story, and could easily replay it with this set, or turn it into an digsite skeleton find.

Even one Nexo Knight's comic had a short story about dinosaur skeletons being zapped to life by the lightning monsters :wink:

Edited by TeriXeri

My impression is quite mixed. One the one hand, some aspects are really nicely modelled, especially the heads and I don't mind the white, after all its sort of the default Lego bone-colour (yes, fossils are not bones, but lets keep things simple^^). 

On the other hand, the models are too big for minifig scale, which is really a shame, especially considering there is actually one included. But I guess it allows for more detailing. The selection of Dinosaurs however is a bit bland. I would have stayed more in line with the original proposal. Of course there had to be a T-rex, so I'm not going to complain about that; its just that once the scale of the builds and the size of the set has been determined, it didn't leave much wiggle room for more diversity, since of course you pair a T-rex with a Triceratops, if you can only have them two.:wink: Including the Pteranodon is nice though!

All in all though, as long it makes kids love dinosaurs and science - all is forgiven! :laugh:

Edited by Littleworlds
positive afterthought!

The set looks pretty great, and 90CAD for 900 pieces ain't too bad either. I still have to visualize the size of the skeletons with my tape measure, but 20x40cm for the T-Rex is promising!

2 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

the models are too big for minifig scale

Really? How do you mean?

1 hour ago, danth said:

Really? How do you mean?

The T-rex, for example looks like 15 meters long. Its bigger than the Jurassic Park rex. Just look at that skull: Its longer than a whole minifig. if it would be a tad smaller, it would be perfectly in scale. The shaping is really well done, alas the price for that is to get a bit too big.

I really don't like this change from the original, with it now being more brick than technic now. This could had honestly been a spark to bring in new things for the Technic line instead of always doing vehicles; like what have been done back in 1999-2002 with things like throwbots/slizer, bionicle and some star wars sets being big Technic figures (not those creepy human shape heads CCBS/Ultrabuild figure we got a few years back).

Sadly because of this choice, I'm not picking this set up. I'm not a dinosaur fan, but the design choice of it being Technic was what gotten me interested, and now it became a small part of the design.

The paleontologist could have been better and I don't get why the LEGO sapiens has a fedora

Kinda meh set for me... Easy pass

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The paleontologist could have been better and I don't get why the LEGO sapiens has a fedora

It is because it is the Lego designer; Niels Milan Pedersen!
He has been working at Lego for 39 years I think, and back in the day when Godtfred Kirk Christiansen was around he used to go around in the evening looking at what the workers had done during the day. It was easy to see that he had been there since it was ash from the cigarette on the desk the next morning..
Anyway Niels was designing a new castle at the time and made a dungeon in it and what would be perfect to have down there; a skeleton off course.. So he made the first skeleton minifig and put it in the dungeon.. Then one day he came to work it was ash on his desk and he was called to Godtfred office and he told him if he ever made a dead minifig again he will be fired!

So it took many years before a Lego skeleton was made and put in a set..
Niels always have a fedora on, and on the Inside tour I got a signed skeleton fig from him with a fedora hat and even got to see the original first skeleton that he still has :grin:
On his free time he are making replicas of dinosaur skeletons so he was the perfect Lego designer to make the set (he has been working with making new moulds the last years, so this was his first set in years)..

https://jv.dk/artikel/dino-udstilling-ved-byens-fest-niels-har-øje-for-dinosaurer-2018-6-2

That's a bizarre thing to put into this set.... :wacko:

Especially because a human skeleton and a dinosaur fossil wouldn't be displayed in the same room at a museum

23 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

That's a bizarre thing to put into this set.... :wacko:

Especially because a human skeleton and a dinosaur fossil wouldn't be displayed in the same room at a museum

It is a Easter egg for Lego fans :classic:

13 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

The T-rex, for example looks like 15 meters long. Its bigger than the Jurassic Park rex. Just look at that skull: Its longer than a whole minifig. if it would be a tad smaller, it would be perfectly in scale. The shaping is really well done, alas the price for that is to get a bit too big.

The press release stated that the dinosaurs were 1:32 scale models. The T-rex was up to 40ft long (12.4m), so at this scale it should be 38.75cm, press release states the model is 40cm long. Close enough for me.  I think the minifigures are only really there for playability, but they are roughly the right size (true minifig scale seems to range from 1:24 to 1:44?)

I absolutely adore this set, it's got some interesting looking techniques used.  I would have preferred if a few more dinosaurs could have been included, like the brachiosaurus, but I'll take what I can get.  For sure this will be a day one purchase for me.