Lego David

Unpopular Opinions about LEGO

Just now, Lion King said:

Court dismissed…

Aw shucks, but we were just getting started, ah well that's a shame...

1 minute ago, Horation said:

Aw shucks, but we were just getting started, ah well that's a shame...

Haha, well, as soon as there is a Courthouse in Modular Building Collection, you can start there!

3 hours ago, Trekkie99 said:

Alright here's a spicy one.

Bionicle was a bandaid.

Shots fired. lol jk jk.

Absolutely true, it was great for buisness but it's a good thing that it died

On 8/28/2023 at 2:09 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

Actually, that is what i was implying. These gifts are not free! We all pay for them.

They are free though. If I bought the Harry Potter set(s) elsewhere I wouldn’t have gotten the Vault or polybag  but since I bought from LEGP directly, at the same price listed as other shops, I got the GWP sets for nothing.

Edited by Vindicare

51 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

They are free though. If I bought the Harry Potter set(s) elsewhere I wouldn’t have gotten the Vault or polybag  but since I bought from LEGP directly, at the same price listed as other shops, I got the GWP sets for nothing.

My initial question was if there's really people who think these "gifts" are free. I got the answer. Also in other places (newsblog) when i read someone is happy about a gift from the Lego company.

16 hours ago, Trekkie99 said:

Bionicle was a bandaid.

Bionicle received the Medal of Honor after saving Lego from financial trouble in the first place. 

*saluating to Bioncile*

Without Bioncile’s existence, Lego would be dead then. 

20 hours ago, Trekkie99 said:

Bionicle was a bandaid.

Shots fired. lol jk jk.

I feel that this is partially correct (Bionicle's success kept them afloat when everything else was failing, but could never have solely returned Lego to greatness without the revitalization of other core themes like City, Technic, and Duplo). But I also feel like treating Bionicle purely as a short-term fix undervalues how much its success served as a blueprint for other successful themes in the modern era, especially Ninjago. Modern story-based themes owe a lot to Bionicle as one of Lego's first fully-original IPs, and one that demonstrated how the value such in-house themes could bring could rival even major media licenses.

23 hours ago, Lion King said:

Bionicle received the Medal of Honor after saving Lego from financial trouble in the first place. 

*saluating to Bioncile*

Without Bioncile’s existence, Lego would be dead then. 

Bionicle helped keep LEGO afloat. The Star Wars and Harry Potter licenses also aided in LEGO not going under. I might give Bionicle the Distinguished Service Order, but not a Victoria Cross.

The Lego 3D builder app is brutal... first time using it to build Venomized Groot and it just wasn't a good experience.

Bloated with slow animations and not ideal for smartphones, literally could feel my phone (Galaxy S21) overheating to the point where I had to take off my case and take somewhat frequent breaks to close the app. Might be a lot better on tablets, but there really just needs to be a digital PDF if LEGO wants to cut cost and save on printing. 

7 minutes ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

The Lego 3D builder app is brutal... first time using it to build Venomized Groot and it just wasn't a good experience.

Bloated with slow animations and not ideal for smartphones, literally could feel my phone (Galaxy S21) overheating to the point where I had to take off my case and take somewhat frequent breaks to close the app. Might be a lot better on tablets, but there really just needs to be a digital PDF if LEGO wants to cut cost and save on printing. 

Lego does offer PDF instructions of most sets through their customer service site. Brickset helpfully links to them on their set pages if you don't feel like searching for them on Lego.com.

21 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Lego does offer PDF instructions of most sets through their customer service site. Brickset helpfully links to them on their set pages if you don't feel like searching for them on Lego.com.

The instructions search on lego.com is one of the better things that works pretty well - just the set number or part of the name works fine.

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

The fully venomized variant doesn't have PDF instructions available, you're either forced to use the app or eyeball it off the box.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/76249

This topic is fading to obscurity, but as the resident cynic I am here to boost it :pir-murder:

LEGO willingly chooses to have set minifigs inferior to CMF minifigs in quality and detail. I'm sure costs is part of the equation, however, more important is maintaining the value proposition of the CMF product.

11 minutes ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

This topic is fading to obscurity, but as the resident cynic I am here to boost it :pir-murder:

LEGO willingly chooses to have set minifigs inferior to CMF minifigs in quality and detail. I'm sure costs is part of the equation, however, more important is maintaining the value proposition of the CMF product.

I'll agree with this statement. The regular minifigs, even on some of the expensive collector's sets are rubbish compared to the CMF offerings. Even the accessories for the CMF minifigs are superior.

3 hours ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

formulate and produce non-yellowing white pieces

Well, time-travel is about a comparable endeavor - as you want indefinite clutch power, indefinite geometrical stability, light weight as well, right? And breathe a 20%/80% oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere illuminated by a G2 V star in about 100 millions miles distance, correct?

Hmmm ...

Tricky.

7 and a half millions years later ...

:pir-huzzah2:

Thorsten

Lol one step at a time, but I do agree clutch power should be improved especially on a number of specific pieces that almost have no clutch power at all.

While I haven't experienced it myself, cracking light bluish grey parts is another big issue.

7 hours ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

While I haven't experienced it myself, cracking light bluish grey parts is another big issue.

Is it? I haven't had any LBG parts crack and I haven't seen widespread reports of it. Unlike the 2010-2015 reddish brown issue.

Since Star War will have its 25th annivesary next year,  I think it’s time for it to go away. I. Mean it has been around for several years…

5 hours ago, MAB said:

Is it? I haven't had any LBG parts crack and I haven't seen widespread reports of it. Unlike the 2010-2015 reddish brown issue.

I had half a dozen LBG pieces crack on a Parisian Restaurant modular, but it's a small proportion of the LBG pieces in the set, and it's the only time it's ever happened. Oh, and one or two small ball joint clips that have cracked, but that might be the nature of the piece.

4 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

I've had quite a few LBG cheese slopes crack on me. I think that's just the nature of them though.

Yes, I've had cheese slopes of many colours crack. Only 1x1s though. Never a 2x1.

A couple of specific ones related to some recent modulars:

The use of garage door elements for the bakery window in Assembly Square has to be the worst part usage in any modular set. I get what they were going for, but the amount of lines is too harsh and it gives a "barred-up storefront" look, which, in the setting of a lively town square, palpably de-livens it. The set has some redeeming qualities but this aspect (probably to an unreasonable degree) ruins it for me.

I admire the ambition it took to design the Boutique Hotel, as they were working with some challenging geometry. But I think the angles got too unwieldy, resulting in a pretty shabby build overall. I'm sure tying the middle section to one side and having it converge with the other side, rather than making the middle section completely centered, was their attempt to minimize gaps and simplify the geometry, but to me it came out looking confusing and quite straining on the eye. I'm particularly thinking about the curved windows on the second level, which, from certain angles, don't appear to match up with the door frames on the first and third levels, even though they technically do.

3 hours ago, BrickRally217 said:

A couple of specific ones related to some recent modulars:

The use of garage door elements for the bakery window in Assembly Square has to be the worst part usage in any modular set. I get what they were going for, but the amount of lines is too harsh and it gives a "barred-up storefront" look, which, in the setting of a lively town square, palpably de-livens it. The set has some redeeming qualities but this aspect (probably to an unreasonable degree) ruins it for me.

I thought that was excellent parts usage, to make a victorian style bow window with many small panes. Like this ...

D675B1F3-8CF2-431F-9836-0090F8AA549E-888