Selander

MOC: Vossloh style "DSB" locomotive with remote decoupling

As regular readers of this forum well know, I have an interest in onboard remote decoupling, see for example my (old) article in Railbricks.
Recently I updated the decoupling bogie design to be more mechanically robust, to have wheels with lower rolling resistance and (hopefully) to look better.
With the deoupling bogie ready I needed a new locomotive to try it in....so I designed a new locomotive around the bits and pieces needed….
This time I decided to make a build solely with bricks already "in stock"....hence not the normal shopping rounds on bricklink.
I found the german Vossloh locomotives and liked their light grey / green livery which also matched my available bricks and elements. 
The green cab really cried for white decals so I used some Danish DSB that I already had…..
But DSB + Vossloh is not a combination from real-life, as far as I know, so please see this as a product of my own imagination…

The locomotive is quite full of PF Components: Battery box, IR receiver, M-motor + gearing for driving the mini actuator plus a regular train motor for propulsion.

47828175272_1b5da71745_c_d.jpg

47828180492_1f0c0d3703_c_d.jpg

34003043538_dfb98e1260_c_d.jpg

47828135322_a282896627_c_d.jpg

47090862594_81c931779c_c_d.jpg

47983901496_f53d3a50e3_c_d.jpg

Edited by Selander
Adding pictures

Whoa! Getting that all in one chassis is quite an accomplishment. Would really like to see detailed pictures, instructions, ANYTHING.

My decoupler is in a small unit permanently attached to the engine. Would love to do it better.

Thanx,

Ed

:wub_drool: Oh that is so lit! Super clean. Would love to see some shots of the inner workings.

You know if you wouldn't have mentioned the fact that DSB did not run locos in this livery I would have belived you foolheartedly lol 

The design is quite well done ... It has a "official set feel" while having many details to make it stand out.  Also even though its 8w it looks as if it were narrower.  

I can ech the previous comments i would love to see the breakdown of your new and improved axle/uncoupler setup

Now if there were only a way to make that happen on a industrial sized switcher.

I've been thinking about your excellent decoupler system for a while, even integrated it into a couple of digital models, but have yet to build it with bricks.
This loco looks fantastic, with a clean (if fictional) livery and decals. My only niggle is with the end grilles; they look a bit flat, especially when compared to the side ones. Also, when I first looked at it I thought it was 6w with a 4w bonnet, and that you'd perfectly integrated the PU hub at the back! Maybe an idea for someone else...

That's a nice looking diesel in its own right, nevermind the mechanism. Gonna have to have a go at a version of that decoupler myself one of these days.

This marvel was going unnoticed to my radars ...great job: beautiful colors and correct proportions. :excited:
You have now patented the decoupling system ... it's not the first time I've seen you use this solution or am I wrong? (...and no, I'm not wrong :wink:)

Thanks for all kind comments.
Here are two photos of locomotive without covering sides... hope that helps if someone wants to know more….

47983848322_b98701c75d_c_d.jpg

You had enough space in the front, so why did you decide to put the receiver in the cab? Is it because you don't like the look of the lens? Does having it in the cab cause problems with line of sight when you control the train?

Mainly because of the cable sallad, to keep all as short and neat as possible. Furthermore, there is simply no space to run cables pass the battery with the present overall dimensions of locomotive. So all connections had to be done in the cabin. Signal travels fine pass the clear windows, so no disadvantage in that sense either.

I made one more Vossloh locomotive with onboard remote decoupling.
This version is similar, but has horizontal doors for added playability and it has Powered Up Components.
Via the Powered Up App, I created a simple automated decoupling program. Very conveniant !
In my Flickr I uploaded a short video that shows the action.

Any comments are welcome as usual.

48233668347_6ae8a68069_c_d.jpg

48233591676_d021e324f1_c_d.jpg

Edited by Selander
Spelling mistake

22 hours ago, Selander said:

This version is similar, but has horizontal doors for added playability and it has Powered Up Components.
Via the Powered Up App, I created a simple automated decoupling program.

48233591676_d021e324f1_c_d.jpg

I love this ... The doors ... The programing!  Your making me want to ditch my small shunter for a full sized one!  Definately might need to make one anyway for the train yard on the layout and keep the small shunt on the switch puzzle lol.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:46 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

I love this ... The doors ... The programing!  Your making me want to ditch my small shunter for a full sized one!  Definately might need to make one anyway for the train yard on the layout and keep the small shunt on the switch puzzle lol.

Thanks for your praise !

It was fun and easy to use the programing tools in the Powered Up app. 

Wow, I missed this the first time around but that is very impressive! I can only assume that you had to make the move to PUP due to labor demands, I know I wouldn't want to be an engine driver on your road... (grin)

On 6/2/2019 at 4:11 AM, Selander said:

Also thanks for showing off the powered up demo. Wandering a little off topic, could the PUP app programming environment be used to drive two motors simultaneously in opposite directions without any hardware modifications so that one could have a locomotive with two powered trucks?

9 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Wow, I missed this the first time around but that is very impressive! I can only assume that you had to make the move to PUP due to labor demands, I know I wouldn't want to be an engine driver on your road... (grin)

Also thanks for showing off the powered up demo. Wandering a little off topic, could the PUP app programming environment be used to drive two motors simultaneously in opposite directions without any hardware modifications so that one could have a locomotive with two powered trucks?

You can indeed make a program that runs two motors simultaneously at opposite direction, no problem. But programs I made so far envolves setting a time for each operation and I guess you want to run motors continuously...so I am not sure what would be the best solution programwise.... (newbie at programing.....)